Quick exhaust repair question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
shaboob

Quick exhaust repair question

Post by shaboob »

V6, cracked flex connection on rear exhaust. Can't weld new flex in place because of positioning of other parts of the exhaust.

1) Repair = take down front pipe, weld in new flex connection, put back. $250 plus risk of damaging other flex connection which will come down too because its on the same Y-pipe section. If that one rips, then they'll have to weld a second one into that pipe section. More ups and downs to get the sizing and positioning right. Cost could go to $400 for another flex pipe and more labor. Would have two new flex connections but on an old pipe, so seque into Option 2.

2) New front pipe that contains both flex connections. $475. No (?) risk.

3) DIY with patches, odds and ends. ~$50 + an hour two. Unknown how long my fixit job will last.

Best option?
Hope is not a strategy. That's why we have contingency plans.
sport

Re: Quick exhaust repair question

Post by sport »

How long do you plan to keep the car?
Topic Author
shaboob

Post by shaboob »

Its a 2007 kia with 100k miles. Probably another 5 years. Ideally I'll drive it into the ground, but we'll see how well it holds up. The rest of the exhaust is spotless.
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

I used these $50 repair kits for exhaust, they are junk, only hold for about 2 weeks and develop cracks/holes. Of course I guess it depends on original damage. I had to buy 3 of them as they lasted 2 weeks at a time in hopes that finally it would hold but it didn't, ended up replacing muffler for $350 + $150 trying to be cheap and doing these quick fixes.

It is never a good idea to do things cheap on your car, take a no risk route and replace what needs to be fixed. The only thing I save now is the Stealership costs of replacement workmanship. I buy parts at stealership warehouse at discounted prices, get 2% cash back from credit card, take the parts to my local mechanic and have him put them in...

do not try to save money on car repair, it will only cost more long term..., if there is no long term in the cards, that's a different story...
jwtietz

Post by jwtietz »

I used stainless flex pipe and got the special stainless clamps for it. they are very long and do a nice job. Look on line at places like sumit auto parts. I am sure there are premium pipes and clamps to do the job with it in place.
sport

Post by sport »

If you just fix the one side, the other side will probably fail so0ner or later. So, IMO, you may as well fix it properly and then you only need to do it once. In the long run, it will probably be less expensive.
Jeff
Topic Author
shaboob

Post by shaboob »

My thoughts too. Ordered the parts. $375 for the pipe section and gaskets! 1 hr labor. No more KIAs for me after this one.