Need to replace AM FM receiver to accomodate DVD player & TV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Myopic squirrel

Need to replace AM FM receiver to accomodate DVD player & TV

Post by Myopic squirrel » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:23 pm

Folks,

Confirmed that my 25 year old Onkyo AM FM receiver's remote speaker function is shot, so looking for a replacement. Since I've added a Blu Ray DVD player, and have replaced our 12" BW TV (JK) with a 42" flat screen HD TV, would like to route the audio from the DVD player & TV through my main speakers. I DO NOT HAVE A SMART PHONE, TABLET, OR LAPTOP, and while I appreciate the audio options of the fore-mentioned devices, they are presently not a part of my world, and I do not anticipate them becoming a part in the future. Listening to CD's, watching DVDs and TV sums up my viewing/listening. While I appreciate listening to a thundering buffalo herd in friends' surround-a-sound home theaters, that is not important to me. A functional, nuts & bolts AM FM receiver without the bells & whistles is all I am looking for. Thank you for wading through this, and I appreciate your suggestions!

WhyNotUs

Re: Need to replace AM FM receiver to accomodate DVD player

Post by WhyNotUs » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:34 pm

since you had good luck with Onkyo before, why not buy a Onkyo AV receiver?
You can buy one with 7 channels and still only use two. That way if you change your mind, you can add surround later.
techbargains.com will sometimes have links to refurbs and last years models at really attractive prices.
Given your low demands, a middle range AV receiver would give you plenty of upgrade room for the future.
There was an Onkyo recently for about $300 with warranty.
There will probably be lots of one day specials in the lead up to Christmas shopping as long as you are flexible on brand.
Most name brand units will seem like spaceships compared to your old unit.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

4stripes

Post by 4stripes » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:58 pm

Did you lose your old post? http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 7#p2221497

Just go to Amazon and get whatever Denon or Yamaha at the price point you want. Or go to a pawn shop. I'd get a modern one with HDMI for your TV and discs.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:16 pm

For TV, do you use a cable or satellite box or TiVo, or do you connect an antenna directly to the TV?

If you use some kind of box, you may want to consider getting a A/V receiver like WhyNotUs suggested. Then you can connect the box and the Blu-ray player to the receiver, connect the receiver's HDMI output to the TV, turn off your TV's speakers, and send all your sound through your good speakers. Set the receiver for 2-channel audio output and you don't have to deal with the 5 or 7 channel stuff.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.