Windows XP

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LongDistanceRunner

Windows XP

Post by LongDistanceRunner » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:26 pm

I'm still using Windows XP. So far it appears that I have had nothing adverse happen.
I use it with the Chrome Browser and Free AVG virus protection.

I would like to know if any of you using XP after April 2014 have had any problem with it.

If you were using it just before its support being discontinued in April, did you
stop using it since then. And if you stopped using it, what was the reason(s) that
caused you to stop?

And if you stopped using XP, what did you replace it with?
LDR | | "Work like you don't need the money. | Love like you've never been hurt. | Dance like nobody's watching." - Satchel Paige

Tycoon

Re: Windows XP

Post by Tycoon » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:32 pm

I stopped using it after support ended. I wasn't having problems or anything, I just chose to stop using it. I added Linux Mint to my hard drive and 99% of the time I boot to Linux. The only issue I have with Linux is the printer driver for my Kodak printer is extremely slow.
Last edited by Tycoon on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Appeal to Pity:When pity is envoked to support a statement | Appeal to Popular Sentiment:Appealing to unrelated prejudices and attitudes | Hasty Generalization:Too little evidence to support the conclusion

harlan247

Post by harlan247 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:34 pm

I have used Windows XP for years and have had no problems after cutoff date. I plan to continue
to use it unless or untill I start having problems.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:39 pm

I upgraded from Windows XP in March. It was an old and increasingly vulnerable operating system, without the security patches from Microsoft people still using it are just asking for trouble.

At work, I had the infamous FBI Moneypack virus come right in through the browser. It took advantage in a flaw and came right in. XP cannot support the most current versions of Internet Explorer. We are still using XP at work but I noticed that Google Crome was added to give employees more security when surfing the internet.

I went from Windows XP to Windows 7 and have been very pleased. The transition was much easier than I expected. It cost me about $600 to buy software and an external hard drive. I updated Quicken and the Microsoft Office Suite when I upgraded. To save money, I bought Windows 7 and Office 2010 as downloads. Windows 7 had to be burned on a DVR disk as it is a huge file. I also got the product keys from the on line vendors. I am glad I upgraded.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:47 pm

I only use XP in a virtual machine for random web browsing. It's more because I don't have the time to create a new VM with Win7/8 just for random web browsing, and I can just restore from a known-good point and set the VM to non-persistent mode if I really get hit by something nasty. So I wouldn't really recommend my approach for someone who is using XP as their primary OS.

Post by 123 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:55 pm

I had two machines(each over 5 years old), one desktop, and one laptop that were using XP (I have two other desktops on Windows 7). I got some cheap OEM versions of Windows 7 Professional on EBAY for under $50 each. I installed Windows 7 on each and then reinstalled our old programs and data. Mostly Windows 7 Professional works okay on them for web browsing but once in awhile I get a BSOD due to a video problem that there doesn't seem to be a fix for. (Problem is tied to old hardware even though Windows 7 upgrade check said it should be okay).

If I had it to do over again I would have just bought a cheap new desktop with Windows 7.

I haven't been convinced about the value of Windows 8/8.1 yet.
Last edited by 123 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

nordlead

Post by nordlead » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:57 pm

This is like saying "who leaves their door unlocked and hasn't had a problem?" You'll find plenty of people who got by fine but that doesn't mean you should do it.

My advise, if you want to use old hardware install a secure and supported lightweight OS like Xubuntu. Otherwise, upgrade the hardware so you can get a newer OOS.

ieee488

Post by ieee488 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:38 pm

I have a Windows XP laptop which I used to burn DVDs of videos recorded by Magnavox DVD recorder.
This laptop is not connected to the internet.

I mainly use Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS.
Otherwise, I use Windows 7.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)

ieee488

Post by ieee488 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:40 pm

harlan247 wrote:I have used Windows XP for years and have had no problems after cutoff date. I plan to continue
to use it unless or untill I start having problems.
The problem is that after you are infected. It is too late.

A few years ago my PC running Windows XP was got infected by a malicicious Javascript program on a website I visited.
Took me hours to reverse the damage.
Never again.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:55 pm

Our desktop that had XP is now running Xubuntu the LTS version.

I am also using Mint XFCE (LTS) on an older laptop and I have Peppermint (also LTS ubuntu based) on another old laptop which is connected to one of our TVs and used only for streaming to it.

I began a transition to Linux about a year ago and now don't expect to ever go back.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

Nerdicus

Post by Nerdicus » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:29 pm

I stopped using XP 5 plus years ago. I use a MAC and have windows 7 installed on it as well via BootCamp.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:31 pm

I have an old machine running XP which I use 99% for copying old vinyl discs to digital files and burning CD's of the same.

It worked well before. It still works. I expect it will work till the job is done. (At my lazy rate that will be a while!!)

The internet is not the only thing computers are used for.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:36 pm

Running XP on this with Goggle Chrome Browser.Had some problems before putting Chrome on.
BTW, MS still sends updates. i got one the other night.
All the Best, | Joe

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:51 pm

If you understand the risks such as phishing and downloads from the web and believe you know what you are doing, fine. I would not recommend that you let your family members who might be less careful use this computer (especially if they don't understand the risks).

McCharley

Post by McCharley » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:59 pm

No, no, no!

Do not run XP unless you have some very good reason to do so, like hardware that requires it.

Windows 7 is the desktop system of choice, IMHO.

Now that XP is not supported you'll be thrown to the wolves. :annoyed

paulsiu

Post by paulsiu » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:03 pm

I still used my windows xp machine as a file server, but do not use it for internet use. I suppose it's possible to attack a machine while it's sitting around, but since I am not browsing on it, the risk is minimized. The XP box also has both Antivirus and Malwarebyte, the latter I run every once in a while to make sure it's malware free. When I do access the internet using the XP, I use the old school Opera. The idea is that opera isn't all that popular and so exploit that works against IE or firefox may not work against Opera.

I have a laptop that I upgraded to window 8 even though it wasn't officially supported. As a result, some of the drivers don't work with DRM, but it's still secure to browse with. The server is unfortunately to old to even upgrade to windows 8. It dates back to the early 2000's. I may have gotten it around 1999.

Paul

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:12 pm

For anyone willing to give Linux a try for the first time, I highly recommend LXLE. It's lightweight (based on Lubuntu) and full-featured.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:31 pm

Another consideration with using an older machine is that your disk drive may be pretty old too if you have not replaced it recently.

For that reason alone it would be good to have a better than normal backup plan.

If your power supply is older then that might be a concern too.

Unless you have specific hardware of software that only runs on XP then there will likely be sales coming up during Thanksgiving, you might want to get a new replacement then for not much more than $200

second-guesser

Post by second-guesser » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:09 am

I had a HP computer with vista that recently quit functioning that my wife uses.
A friend of mine insisted on giving me his 94 year old deceased mother's dell laptop
with XP on it for my wife to use. She does not like windows 8 as I offered to buy her
an inexpensive new computer.
My wife's only use of a computer is to check emails and Talbot Department Store sales.
I could care less if the computer crashes but are there any security risks to her such as
hacking of email passwords , etc ? Thanks.

S-G

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:45 am

This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

neatep

Post by neatep » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:47 am

There is a hack to make XP work and continue to get updates. It's a simple registry change that is designed to make your PC think it's a standalone terminal.

Most of the worlds ATM's run XP. So they couldn't remove support for that and still add security patches. So i know ppl who havedone it so that it auto-updates and updates any critical patches again. Apparently there are no side affects. I haven't done it myself.

I updated recently, as;
- WinXp limits RAM amounts. And apps i had were crashing due to not being able to use more than 2 gigs of ram (the 3 gig workaround made my comp run damn slow).
- Skype wasn't working anymore.

So i bit the bullet and upgraded from XP to Windows 8. I should have gone windows 7.

Win8 is okay (i dont use tablet mode), windows key + searching for app is faster than the old file menu system (but win7 has that). It's an OS, and does enough of what i want.

The big problem is the apps on windows 8 are shit. They made them all mobile'ized with pretty pictures and large visual areas. This is total and utter crap. I want usability not prettiness. Or at the very least a 'classic' mode in all apps so that i can use file systems that the entire world has been trained to use over the last 15 years.

I work in IT, and it took me 10 minutes to work out how to send an attachment in Skype. I am not that much of a retard... I was refusing to google it as it should be straight forwards. (you can't drag and drop files into chat menus which would be my default choice. 2nd choice is using the file menu of 'File' -> 'Attach' which doesn't exist.) In the end i had to relent and search. There was an icon that wasn't appearing in the chat screen I was in, i had to go into a different chat screen with the same person to make that icon appear. From which i could then do 'File' -> 'Attach'. That was the only way. Complete trash.

Windows 10 isn't too far off. So you could just wait for that. (skipping 9 due to poor coding standards in checking 'if os like win9%' as in checking to see if the operating system is windows 95 or 98 etc coding issues).

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:03 am

I have older machines, used for non-critical tasks that continue to run XP. If you keep the anti-virus program up to date, and browse with reasonable care you are very unlikely to have problems.

I have never updated an operating system to a new version. Problems are likely with drivers and the machine will probably run worse. If you REALLY feel you cannot risk it, you are better off buying a new machine.

nordlead

Post by nordlead » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:32 am

paulsiu wrote:I still used my windows xp machine as a file server, but do not use it for internet use. I suppose it's possible to attack a machine while it's sitting around, but since I am not browsing on it, the risk is minimized.
Only if your file server is inaccessible from the outside world.

I have a Linux file server with an open SSH connection and if I watch the logs there are automated attacks on it every hour of every day. Basically, if your firewall lets anything through to this XP machine I guarantee it is getting attacked and any known security bug will be used if applicable.

Honestly, if you want to re-purpose old hardware, just install a free linux variant. There are lots to choose from and many can be easily configured to look just like XP, or you can run a headless server.

Oh, and anti-virus software doesn't guarantee safety. Many legitimate corporations have built malware (they call it helpful software) that goes undetected by anti-virus software. You think the hackers will be nice and tell the anti-virus software that they have turned your computer into a zombie waiting to be used? Anti-virus software can often be weeks behind (especially free software), and even then do you wan to clean up the mess after they stole all your passwords with a key logger or scraped all of your files? I'd rather run a secure setup than deal with the cleanup after.

Blues

Post by Blues » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:41 am

I've relegated my old XP rig to (almost entirely) offline tasks. A Chromebook has worked wonderfully (for my needs) for online and most any uses that I have for a computer anymore.

Since the XP is still connected to my laser printer I will send an occasional email with an attachment that way when I have the (rare) need to print a document.

(I still protect the XP system via Sandboxie, an antivirus program provided by an online financial institution as well as a firewall/HIPS package.)

The Chromebook has pretty much demonstrated that I rarely have need for an expensive, full blown computer operating system anymore. (And I certainly don't miss the many hours devoted to trying to keep up with all the third party tech and security apps.)
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

lululu

Post by lululu » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:39 am

adamthesmythe wrote:I have older machines, used for non-critical tasks that continue to run XP. If you keep the anti-virus program up to date, and browse with reasonable care you are very unlikely to have problems.

I have never updated an operating system to a new version. Problems are likely with drivers and the machine will probably run worse. If you REALLY feel you cannot risk it, you are better off buying a new machine.
+1 I have several all-in-ones that require nothing later than XP SP2. I am constitutionally opposed to spending hundreds of dollars and large amounts of time upgrading software and hardware unless it is clear to me that it is necessary.

I tried Chrome, but it is very slow on my system, and according to web reports that's a known problem. IE is notorious for bugs. So I've stayed away from both.

ieee488

Post by ieee488 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:50 am

lululu wrote:
adamthesmythe wrote:I have older machines, used for non-critical tasks that continue to run XP. If you keep the anti-virus program up to date, and browse with reasonable care you are very unlikely to have problems.

+1 I have several all-in-ones that require nothing later than XP SP2. I am constitutionally opposed to spending hundreds of dollars and large amounts of time upgrading software and hardware unless it is clear to me that it is necessary.

I tried Chrome, but it is very slow on my system, and according to web reports that's a known problem. IE is notorious for bugs. So I've stayed away from both.
Then you are saying your personal data and personal information is worth $0 since that is what you are prepared to pay to protect it?

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:55 am

LongDistanceRunner wrote:I'm still using Windows XP. So far it appears that I have had nothing adverse happen.
How would you know that? Sounds like banks and stores that say "Although we have been hacked, the hackers did not see any sensitive info". Again, how do they know?

nordlead

Post by nordlead » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:08 am

ieee488 wrote:
lululu wrote: I am constitutionally opposed to spending hundreds of dollars and large amounts of time upgrading software and hardware unless it is clear to me that it is necessary.
Then you are saying your personal data and personal information is worth $0 since that is what you are prepared to pay to protect it?
But you don't even have to pay $ to protect it. There ARE alternatives. Just recognize that your current software is outdated and use NEW software that is FREE.

I have a 9 year old laptop running Xubuntu that runs 2-3x faster than it did when it was loaded with XP. It is up to date and secure and cost me $0 out of pocket. People give me computers all the time, I load them up with a free and secure OS and re-purpose them.

I also have 2 Windows 7 computers, but they run Windows for a reason. The one is a HTPC so I need Windows to run Netflix. The other is my development/gaming machine, and it runs Microsoft Visual Studio along with anything else I want to run.

ieee488

Post by ieee488 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:27 am

nordlead wrote:
ieee488 wrote:
lululu wrote: I am constitutionally opposed to spending hundreds of dollars and large amounts of time upgrading software and hardware unless it is clear to me that it is necessary.
But you don't even have to pay $ to protect it. There ARE alternatives. Just recognize that your current software is outdated and use NEW software that is FREE.

I have a 9 year old laptop running Xubuntu that runs 2-3x faster than it did when it was loaded with XP. It is up to date and secure and cost me $0 out of pocket. People give me computers all the time, I load them up with a free and secure OS and re-purpose them.

I also have 2 Windows 7 computers, but they run Windows for a reason. The one is a HTPC so I need Windows to run Netflix. The other is my development/gaming machine, and it runs Microsoft Visual Studio along with anything else I want to run.
True about free Linux OS.
But the same people who won't invest any $ equity are also the same ones who won't invest any sweat equity with trying to use Linux.

4stripes

Post by 4stripes » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:32 am

Windows 7 is significantly better than XP and can be visually arranged identically. I'd update immediately. I held on to XP for a long time but never missed it once I upgraded. The search function alone will save you hours a week.

End of support only means there will be no updates, it doesn't mean your software will stop working.
Last edited by 4stripes on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CABob

Post by CABob » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:20 am

I am still using XP but have had some problems with it that I think may be more related to a hard drive that is filled almost to capacity. I have a newer computer with Win 8 that I don't really like or I suppose it would be more correct that I am not used to using. I should have followed the advice of many that I should have obtained Win 7 for my replacement. My intent is to use the XP computer only for offline tasks and file storage, but I am not at that point yet. Using XP is sort of like that old worn out sweat shirt that is just more comfortable than the new one that you just received as a gift.
Bob

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:32 am

4stripes wrote:Windows 7 is significantly better than XP and can be visually arranged identically. I'd update immediately. I held on to XP for a long time but never missed it once I upgraded.
Same here.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.

LongDistanceRunner

Post by LongDistanceRunner » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:56 am

This is like saying "who leaves their door unlocked and hasn't had a problem?" You'll find plenty of people who got by fine but that doesn't mean you should do it.
It seems to me that every OS that has ever been created has potential for unlocked doors. This
includes Windows 7 and Windows 8, and even upcoming Windows 10. So they may not be any safer than XP.
After all, MS only sends a patch after they discover a problem.

Since XP has been around for so long, and has many update patches applied, it may have fewer
unlocked doors to lock going forward.

Barring any immediate problem, I plan on staying with XP until I purchase my next computer
which will have Windows 10. But I cannot be certain that the new computer will be totally secure.
LDR | | "Work like you don't need the money. | Love like you've never been hurt. | Dance like nobody's watching." - Satchel Paige

hudson4351

Post by hudson4351 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:13 am

At this point, you might want to just wait until next spring when Windows 10 will supposedly be released. Many news sites are reporting that MS might offer a full or partial discount on Windows 10 for current XP (and possibly Vista and 7) users.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:44 pm

nordlead wrote: I need Windows to run Netflix.
Actually, you don't any longer, Netflix can now run in Linux (and without Wine or other workarounds). All I needed to do was get the chrome user agent changer and tell it to pretend it was running under windows. I did this about a month ago and it is working fine.

Instructions are here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2687243/ ... -pain.html

nordlead

Post by nordlead » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:58 pm

jeffyscott wrote:
Actually, you don't any longer, Netflix can now run in Linux (and without Wine or other workarounds). All I needed to do was get the chrome user agent changer and tell it to pretend it was running under windows. I did this about a month ago and it is working fine.

Good to know. I built my HTPC ~4 years ago, I knew they were running Silverlight and haven't really looked into since other than telling my wife it doesn't work on linux when she tries to use the laptop for the kids. I'll have to get that working so she can use it.

sarahjane

Post by sarahjane » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:59 pm

Blues wrote:I've relegated my old XP rig to (almost entirely) offline tasks. A Chromebook has worked wonderfully (for my needs) for online and most any uses that I have for a computer anymore.

Since the XP is still connected to my laser printer I will send an occasional email with an attachment that way when I have the (rare) need to print a document.

(I still protect the XP system via Sandboxie, an antivirus program provided by an online financial institution as well as a firewall/HIPS package.)

The Chromebook has pretty much demonstrated that I rarely have need for an expensive, full blown computer operating system anymore. (And I certainly don't miss the many hours devoted to trying to keep up with all the third party tech and security apps.)
+1

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:13 pm

nordlead wrote:
jeffyscott wrote:

Good to know. I built my HTPC ~4 years ago, I knew they were running Silverlight and haven't really looked into since other than telling my wife it doesn't work on linux when she tries to use the laptop for the kids. I'll have to get that working so she can use it.
Actually, I just tried it with the user agent switcher off and that is not even needed now.

One other thing I did not see mentioned in the instructions is you may need to go to netflix settings and check the "prefer HTML5" box.

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:38 pm

Nope, we aren't even allowed to have Windows XP virtual machines on our network due to the security ramifications. XP is a security nightmare, and just because nothing is obviously wrong doesn't mean you aren't infected with malware which might include keyloggers that steal usernames and passwords to financial sites. At this point you have to juse assume any XP machine is compromised which makes It is nuts to use XP for anything regarding finances. If upgrading hardware is not an option then your only real option is to install Linux (mint or Ubuntu are good).

Microsoft is also dropping support for IE 8, 9, and 10 as of January 2016 (11 will be the lowest supported version of IE on Windows 7 and higher) and is expected to support each version of IE for a *much* shorter period of time than in the past.

If you still have XP it's time to either upgrade or move to a new OS.

nhrdls

Post by nhrdls » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:50 pm

jeffyscott wrote:

Netflix removed the filter restriction.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/10/psa- ... orking-box

nhrdls

Post by nhrdls » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:12 pm

have a Linux file server with an open SSH connection and if I watch the logs there are automated attacks on it every hour of every day. Basically, if your firewall lets anything through to this XP machine I guarantee it is getting attacked and any known security bug will be used if applicable.
I

Can't you just change the port? Also have a firewall rule that drops connection for few minutes after X number of invalid login attempts from servers. I manage few Ubuntu servers and changing the port is the first thing we do after building new servers. The servers have to be on internet and automated attacks were getting on to my nerves though nobody got in as we use password less logins using only authorized ssh keys. Those who need to know can still access, automated robots usually give up.

Generally I am of opinion that you should not have any ports open unless there is good reason. For home computers, usually there is no reason unless you are trying to access it from outside of home. Routers and firewalls are first defence for automated attacks. If they can not reach the machine, they can not do much harm. However if attacker is already inside the network, all bets are off.

I use Ubuntu both at home and at work. Switched to Ubuntu after my home laptop got infested with a malware despite of me taking all precautions - service pack updates, running in low privileged mode, virus scanners and malware detectors etc. Turns out, they exploited bug in Firefox.

As for OP, please please consider upgrading. A good malware prides itself in hiding well. XP as such was never strong OS for security and you are taking a big risk. As others have recommended I recommend linux based PC assuming it fits your needs. People complain about open office not looking same or missing functionality as MS office, but then I don't use any office stuff unless I am working on my resume (very rare) and/or reading spreadsheet sent by someone else. It does everything I want to do - including streaming to my TV and managing my money using Gnu CASH

nordlead

Post by nordlead » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:44 am

nhrdls wrote:
have a Linux file server with an open SSH connection and if I watch the logs there are automated attacks on it every hour of every day. Basically, if your firewall lets anything through to this XP machine I guarantee it is getting attacked and any known security bug will be used if applicable.
I

Can't you just change the port? Also have a firewall rule that drops connection for few minutes after X number of invalid login attempts from servers. (and more security based stuff)...
I know this. I didn't mention my security measures because I feel they are beyond the scope of this thread and not the correct approach for someone running XP, but did want to mention that even as just a random IP address someone is attacking you. Someone running XP with a router with UPnP enabled (yes, an extremely bad thing to do), could easily expose their computer (and entire network) to the internet without even knowing it. I have to assume that someone running XP knowing (or not) that Microsoft isn't supporting it doesn't know enough about computer security to make sure UPnP is disabled and their firewall is securely blocking everything.

Any supported OS is fine, Linux just happens to be a great free alternative for those who don't want to pay $.

ieee488

Post by ieee488 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:45 am

LongDistanceRunner wrote: It seems to me that every OS that has ever been created has potential for unlocked doors. This
includes Windows 7 and Windows 8, and even upcoming Windows 10. So they may not be any safer than XP.
After all, MS only sends a patch after they discover a problem.
Every OS has potential for unlocked doors. The question is who is continually looking for them.

For XP, Microsoft is not sending any more security patches.
LongDistanceRunner wrote: Since XP has been around for so long, and has many update patches applied, it may have fewer
unlocked doors to lock going forward.
Another baseless assumption.
Barring any immediate problem, I plan on staying with XP until I purchase my next computer
which will have Windows 10. But I cannot be certain that the new computer will be totally secure.
There is no such thing as 100%.
The question is to what degree the OS is secure.

When you do encounter that problem, the horse is out of the barn.
It will cost you time and aggravation to fix it.

To me, my personal information and data are worth more than the $350 for a new Windows PC.

And as a Linux user, it certainly is worth the sweat equity to switch over to it.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:32 am

I'm using XP with no problems. Use Firefox, Avast free and Malwarebytes. We're not doing anything 'heavy' with this, just some basic browsing. Probably is time to upgrade. :shock:
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:00 am

Do the rest of us a favor and retire your machine.

If you are browsing the internet on it, it is probably already has some sort
of virus on it and is ready to wake up on demand to attack other machines

I was configuring a machine years ago, and needed it on the internet for part of the configure.
I was pulled away from my desk to deal with another issue.
In the 4 hours away from my desk, the machine was already infected.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:07 am

using xp is like driving your car to a high crime area, rolling down the windows, unlocking the doors, and leaving the key in the ignition.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:12 am

Despite all the claims that no patching would happen, my XP machine and XP virtual machine are still receiving patches.

runner26

Post by runner26 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:14 am

Dumped XP, and am happy with Windows 8.1 Update 1.

LongDistanceRunner

Post by LongDistanceRunner » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:25 am

MathWizard wrote:Do the rest of us a favor and retire your machine.

I was configuring a machine years ago, and needed it on the internet for part of the configure.
Let me understand. You are telling us that your machine is less secure because my
computer is not secure.

I do not possess any of your personal data. Nor do I wish to. If your computer is successfully attacked
by someone other than me (by using my computer), it would seem to me that it is your computer that is
not secure.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:46 am

MathWizard wrote:Do the rest of us a favor and retire your machine.

That's a bit of hyperbole. In order to be an effective bot in a botnet, the command and control network has to be able to send commands. If XP is used as a virtual machine, you can tightly lock down what exactly it is allowed to do on the network. You can even go back to the older personal firewalls like Tiny that allow you, within XP, to say what a program is and is not allowed to do on the network. I found their interfaces and usability to be higher than the firewall included in Windows 7 and 8.

Now you shouldn't be running it as a raw machine, but to say all XP machines are just botnets waiting to happen is over-exaggerating to some extent. I wouldn't trust a novice with XP, but nor would I say "off with all XPs!". There are mitigation techniques that can be employed, even in the absence of an active patch stream.