Upgrading from Iphone 4s - 5s or 6?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
countofmc

Upgrading from Iphone 4s - 5s or 6?

Post by countofmc » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:52 pm

I think it's time for me to upgrade. I have a 4s, and would like one of the newer phones to take advantage of some of the advances (like LTE) featured on the new Iphones.

The $100 difference (w/ contract) is not a big deal, I actually prefer the smaller size of the 5s, since I keep my phone in my pant pocket all day. But if the 6 is a sufficiently better upgrade, I'd consider that as well.

wageoghe

Re: Upgrading from Iphone 4s - 5s or 6?

Post by wageoghe » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:21 pm

Go with the iPhone 6. It is bigger than the 5/5s (which are both bigger then your 4s). It should still fit in your pocket ok.

westcoast

Post by westcoast » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:22 pm

I just upgraded to the I phone 6. It is very slim and has a great screen, larger than my old LC android. Very easy to use and fits very well in my pocket. I always carry it an my wallet in my front pants pockets. My old phone was the size of the I phone 5 and was very tight in my pocket, the 6 six is a great improvement.

deikel

Post by deikel » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:51 pm

Although that was not your question, I would suggest to have a look at the Samsung S5 - I had an apple for years and loved it, but Samsung and Android is just so much superior - its not even funny. Apple has a lost a lot of mojo IMO, I would never consider them again after having used the S5 for a while
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immidiatly and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

Lee Saage

Post by Lee Saage » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:00 pm

I had a chance to play with both a 5S and 6 for several days. Initially I thought the 6 would be too big for comfort; I tend to wear the phone on my belt. After using both phones for a few days, I discovered that I really liked the larger screen and roomier keyboard. The size issue as a negative sort of went away. I'd go for the 6.
Most of my money went to fast cars, fast living and good wine. The rest I just wasted.

Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:16 pm

deikel wrote:Although that was not your question, I would suggest to have a look at the Samsung S5 - I had an apple for years and loved it, but Samsung and Android is just so much superior - its not even funny. Apple has a lost a lot of mojo IMO, I would never consider them again after having used the S5 for a while
I understand the appeal of Android, but I hear a lot about bloatware. There's been another thread on smartphones here this week, and a lot of folks are saying you should go with a Nexus to avoid bloatware. In your experience, is bloatware not a concern?

Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:19 pm

Lee Saage wrote:I had a chance to play with both a 5S and 6 for several days. Initially I thought the 6 would be too big for comfort; I tend to wear the phone on my belt. After using both phones for a few days, I discovered that I really liked the larger screen and roomier keyboard. The size issue as a negative sort of went away. I'd go for the 6.
One comment I've read on the subject of 5s vs 6 is that the 5s allows you to use your phone with one hand, whereas the 6 really requires two. Is that a valid observation?

wageoghe

Post by wageoghe » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:30 pm

The iPhone 5/5s is certainly easier to use with one hand, but I would not say that the iPhone 6 requires two hands to operate. One tip I've seen is to arrange your most commonly used apps around the lower right (or left if left handed) corner. They will be as accessible as they would be on the iPhone 4/4s/5/5s.

Lee Saage

Post by Lee Saage » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:27 pm

Louis Winthorpe III wrote:
Lee Saage wrote:I had a chance to play with both a 5S and 6 for several days. Initially I thought the 6 would be too big for comfort; I tend to wear the phone on my belt. After using both phones for a few days, I discovered that I really liked the larger screen and roomier keyboard. The size issue as a negative sort of went away. I'd go for the 6.
One comment I've read on the subject of 5s vs 6 is that the 5s allows you to use your phone with one hand, whereas the 6 really requires two. Is that a valid observation?

My hands are not small so I had no issues with using the 6 one-handed.
Most of my money went to fast cars, fast living and good wine. The rest I just wasted.

sambb

Post by sambb » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:49 pm

I have owned both and also top android brands
Apple "just works"
and the 6 is really a great phone.

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:50 pm

countofmc wrote:I think it's time for me to upgrade. I have a 4s, and would like one of the newer phones to take advantage of some of the advances (like LTE) featured on the new Iphones.

The $100 difference (w/ contract) is not a big deal, I actually prefer the smaller size of the 5s, since I keep my phone in my pant pocket all day. But if the 6 is a sufficiently better upgrade, I'd consider that as well.
The other thing to consider is whether you want to use NFC and start paying credit card transactions via iPhone. I was very skeptical of this at first but it sounds like all the big banks are on board. This is a huge step from conventional CC transactions, which uses 1990s technology, making all CC transactions vulnerable. Whether people like it or not, I am very confident this is the direction where we are heading.

From Apple's website:
With Apple Pay, instead of using your actual credit and debit card numbers when you add your card to Passbook, a unique Device Account Number is assigned, encrypted, and securely stored in the Secure Element, a dedicated chip in iPhone. These numbers are never stored on Apple servers. And when you make a purchase, the Device Account Number, along with a transaction-specific dynamic security code, is used to process your payment. So your actual credit or debit card numbers are never shared by Apple with merchants or transmitted with payment.

Cosmo

mike143

Post by mike143 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:55 pm

iOS 8 is available on the 4s, stay with it until the next iOS update, which it won't get. Apple hasn't made any significance advances since the 4. For work purposes we are providing 4s for short term and 5c refurbs for long term. We won't touch 6 for probably another 2 years.

People don't understand technology, while 4g offers potential better signal, do you really have a problem now? Yes you can use your data allotment up in minutes instead of hours, but how does that benefit you?

If you are partial to Android then I would recommend the Nexus 4 or Moto G, there is really no need for anything beyond that. As long as they update to the most current Android OS, you are doing great. Both will receive Android L (Lollipop), which will result in better performance and battery life.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:03 pm

I had an iPhone 5 and was considering an iPhone 6 Plus, but I ended up getting an iPhone 6. For me the size is perfect. I am very happy with it. As for an android phone, my one experience with one convinced me, I like the iPhone more.
Best Wishes, | Joe

mike143

Post by mike143 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:08 pm

JMacDonald wrote:As for an android phone, my one experience with one convinced me, I like the iPhone more.
Form an IT perspective, I love the iPhone, the Fisher Price of smartphones. If you are bad at technology they are great smartphones and Apple in general. My wife, that has a mid level technology comprehension, I tried to give her an iPhone and she wanted her Android back. I though she would prefer the iPhone but she didn't.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:10 pm

Get the 6. The screen size far exceeds the convenience of using one hand.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

sambb

Post by sambb » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:18 pm

mike143 wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:As for an android phone, my one experience with one convinced me, I like the iPhone more.
Form an IT perspective, I love the iPhone, the Fisher Price of smartphones. If you are bad at technology they are great smartphones and Apple in general. My wife, that has a mid level technology comprehension, I tried to give her an iPhone and she wanted her Android back. I though she would prefer the iPhone but she didn't.

Actually i find android to be far less advanced and less polished than the iPhone. And this is from a high level of technology, not a mid-level. Maybe it is the middle-low tech that is the sweet spot for android.

Anyway, for the OP, I was just at the apple store today and I think the 6 looks great. The 6 plus is quite large. I like the "pocketability" of the 5S, but the 6 fits well also. Of course any of them could fit in a purse if that is one's mode of carry.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:23 pm

Cosmo wrote:
countofmc wrote:I think it's time for me to upgrade. I have a 4s, and would like one of the newer phones to take advantage of some of the advances (like LTE) featured on the new Iphones.

The other thing to consider is whether you want to use NFC and start paying credit card transactions via iPhone. I was very skeptical of this at first but it sounds like all the big banks are on board. This is a huge step from conventional CC transactions, which uses 1990s technology, making all CC transactions vulnerable. Whether people like it or not, I am very confident this is the direction where we are heading.

From Apple's website:
With Apple Pay, instead of using your actual credit and debit card numbers when you add your card to Passbook, a unique Device Account Number is assigned, encrypted, and securely stored in the Secure Element, a dedicated chip in iPhone. These numbers are never stored on Apple servers. And when you make a purchase, the Device Account Number, along with a transaction-specific dynamic security code, is used to process your payment. So your actual credit or debit card numbers are never shared by Apple with merchants or transmitted with payment.

Cosmo

Nexus 5 (and several other android phones) also has NFC along with Google Wallet. Now that Apple may convince some/many merchants to accept NFC charges this whole area may take off or not. But first the merchants have to install new terminals. Google couldn't convince them to do so. As of September Walmart and Best Buy said they would not participate in Apple Pay. See you in a few years?

Cash

Post by Cash » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:56 pm

Lee Saage wrote:
Louis Winthorpe III wrote:

My hands are not small so I had no issues with using the 6 one-handed.
Plus, if you double tap (do not fully depress) the home button, the top of the screen will slide down, allowing one to reach the top corners easily.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:38 pm

If I still had my 4s, I would keep it. Besides dwindling battery life, it otherwise worked just as well as the newer phones except for the larger screen. With HSPA+, (AT&T and T-Mobile offers it) there was very little speed advantage of LTE. The fact that Apple included the 4s with iOS 8 means the 4s has at least one more year of life in it.

wageoghe

Post by wageoghe » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:12 pm

I got my iPhone 6 a couple of weeks ago. I love the larger size, as well as the new features in iOS 8 (which I installed on my iPhone 5 several weeks before getting my new iPhone). I had a chance today to handle my MIL's iPhone 4s. I could not believe how small and cramped it was! I haven't had an iPhone that small since May '13. I just cannot agree with recommendations to keep your 4s for another 6 months or a year. Get the iPhone 6, you won't regret it.

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:48 pm

Another vote for the iPhone 6. I have had mine for several weeks and love it. It is by no means too big. I find it quite easy to handle and it fits easily into a front pants pocket (men's). Although saying that I would highly recommend a case because I thought the phone felt a bit slippery without one. I usually keep items like this for a long time so I generally opt for the latest technology.

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:53 pm

iPhone 6, no question.

arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:39 pm

Agree with many of the comments above... our company switched to iOS in 2010 when our Verizon account started with the iPhone 4. Since then I've had a 4 to 5 to 5S and been very happy with all of them. I don't have much experience with android, but the argument seems to be very much similar to the Mac vs. PC war that has been carried in our society for nigh 30 years! iOS devices are fairly simple, and our IT dept feels they are much easier to manage.

A number of my office mates have upgraded to the 6, I am most likely going to go ahead with a standard 6... the plus would be a one size fits all approach obviating the need for a tablet, but it is just a bit big for lugging around all day in my book.
TSM / SCV / FTSE Big World / FTSE Small World / REIT / TBM / Int Term Tax Exempt

MoneyIsntEverything

Post by MoneyIsntEverything » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:41 pm

Deleted
Last edited by MoneyIsntEverything on Wed May 17, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:24 pm

It may cost you much more than $100 to upgrade in the long run.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/28/techn ... .html?_r=0
http://www.zdnet.com/how-much-does-an-i ... 000033801/

My personal feeling is that the days of rapid technological improvements in cell phones from generation to generation are over. The newer models tend to have slightly better displays and cameras and slightly faster processors but to me that hardly justifies their cost. From what I have read and seen, there have not been any major improvements since the iPhone 4s or the Samsung Galaxy 3 to justify the additional cost. They are all fast, the displays look good, they take good pictures and run the same apps. They all do the same thing. The S3 is, and always will be, adaptable (cheap replaceable batteries, expandable memory, standard connectors- if they stop supporting it with new software you can root it). I replaced the screen myself for $8.40 when it broke. If you really need a better camera, buy a Nikon.

If you can truly get a new state-of-the-art iPhone for $100 no strings attached, go for it, but be careful to read the small print. If your 4s goes belly-up, you can get a brand new 4s or Galaxy S3 unlocked for about $200-300 these days, no need for a contract. The price is always coming down.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:29 am

protagonist wrote:

It may cost you LESS than $100 to upgrade in the long run.

Don't confuse the upfront price with the total cost over use. Yes, the actual price paid is higher because of the subsidies, but the difference between a lower priced unit and and a higher priced is often decreased at the end of contract with the higher priced unit having a higher residual value. Many folks bought 5C for $100 or even $0 with contract, while those that got the $5S for $199 with contract now face resale values of $250 vs. $400. The original difference was $100-200 and the current resale is around $150 difference, so pretty much a wash. Some people are actually doing better cost wise with the 5S!

We see similar situation with 5S vs 6 and 6 vs 6 plus. I'm guessing the 6 plus may actually be the lowest cost after 24 months after you take into account the residual value.

OP, test out the sizes and buy the right size for you.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:13 pm

Personally, I consider 4.3" - 4.7" to be optimal screen sizes. So I think the iPhone 6 is a good size. I find the current generation (5.0" - 5.2") from Samsung, Motorola, LG, Sony, etc...to be far too BIG and the 5.5" of the iPhone 6 Plus and others to be just plain ridiculous.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:27 pm

Apple released the update iOS 8.1 today. Now Apple Pay is officially on. The update doesn't take very long and went smoothly. The Apple Pay is easy to use even for a non-geek as myself. I entered my AmEX card, but my Visa isn't ready for it yet. My guess is that is will be a while before businesses are ready for it also.
Best Wishes, | Joe

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:06 pm

inbox788 wrote:
protagonist wrote:

It may cost you LESS than $100 to upgrade in the long run.

That's not the impression I get as the typical scenario based on articles I read via reputable sources such as the NYT and zdnet articles above (google it and several similar hits come up....those were just the top two on the page). I don't recall the details (since I don't own an iPhone or a contract my interest was just peripheral). But I got the sense that the "$199 iPhone 6" (and I am extrapolating to similar offers) was bait that would ultimately often cost the consumer much, much more. Perhaps you are right that it might cost less than $100. I am only suggesting that the OP read the articles first and then, armed with that information, carefully read the small print of his agreement before proceeding.

bpg1234

Post by bpg1234 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:23 pm

Here's a different perspective. I own both the new iPhone 6 and the new 2014 Moto X. I have had both for three weeks or so and after going back and forth (easy since both use Nano SIM card) I chose the Moto X and gave my daughter the iPhone 6.

The Moto X is an outstanding flagship phone with a similar physical size as the iPhone 6 but comes with a 5.2" screen vs. 4.7" screen due to less bezel. There is minimal vendor bloatware as it is touted as stock Android 4.4.4 experience (soon to be Android L) yet highly customizable. The Moto Assist, Voice, Actions and Display are excellent add-ons that are extremely useful.

I had the IP4 for four years prior and made the swap to IP6 with the recent Verizon $200 trade in program. I also previously had the 2013 Moto X prior to the 2014 Moto X+1 so I have had experience with both IOS and Android platforms. For me the Moto X is very close to an Apple iPhone experience but more customizable. The price on contract is 1/2 the cost of the iPhone which may be another factor in one's decision. In reality one can't go wrong with either choice and a lot of the end choice goes to personal preference.