Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
larjen42710
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:19 am

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by larjen42710 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:23 am

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

User avatar
Lon
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: California & Mapua, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by Lon » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:00 pm

Not possible for me as there are too many categories, drama, comedy, history etc.If someone has A favorite movie I would wonder about their seemingly limited interests and I don't mean to offend anyone.

gkaplan
Posts: 7034
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by gkaplan » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:47 pm

stemikger wrote:
gkaplan wrote:Any movie that was on that Critically Acclaimed Movie That You Did Not Like thread.
LOL. Just pick one. :oops: :beer

Oh, you were being sarcastic. LOL. For the record, It did give me a chuckle. :D
Actually, I was not being sarcastic. Nearly all the movies on that list were movies I liked and in some cases liked a lot. I guess that could be called sarcasm, though.
Gordon

kazper
Posts: 626
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:45 pm

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by kazper » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:59 pm

Drew31 wrote:No Shawshank votes yet?

I've always been fond of Scent of a Woman.
Alright, count me as shawshank. Either that or fight club.i know, opposite ends of the spectrum.

User avatar
pjstack
Posts: 1308
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:03 am
Location: Harbor City, CA

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by pjstack » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:19 pm

mhalley wrote:I think everyone has several favorite movies. You might have your favorite comedy (Young Frankenstein), Your favorite action movie (Pulp Fiction), your favorite SciFi (Blade Runner), your favorite Classic (Casablana). Depending on your mood, you will have lots of favorites.
The great thing is, they might be filming your next favorite RIGHT NOW!
Mike
I agree. You named most of my favorites.
pjstack

User avatar
Topic Author
stemikger
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by stemikger » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:36 pm

gkaplan wrote:
stemikger wrote:
gkaplan wrote:Any movie that was on that Critically Acclaimed Movie That You Did Not Like thread.
LOL. Just pick one. :oops: :beer

Oh, you were being sarcastic. LOL. For the record, It did give me a chuckle. :D
Actually, I was not being sarcastic. Nearly all the movies on that list were movies I liked and in some cases liked a lot. I guess that could be called sarcasm, though.
LOL. It's sometimes hard to tell over the internet. I thought it was funny. I was actually made aware by a couple of respected posters that I asked a question and answered something else. Having said that, I really enjoyed reading all the replies because I added them to my list of must sees. In this day of streaming, it's never been easier. Thanks for weighing in.

Steve
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

User avatar
Topic Author
stemikger
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by stemikger » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:37 pm

kazper wrote:
Drew31 wrote:No Shawshank votes yet?

I've always been fond of Scent of a Woman.
Alright, count me as shawshank. Either that or fight club.i know, opposite ends of the spectrum.
I agree Shawshank was awesome! Fight Club was great too. Another one of my favorites was The Game.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

Fallible
Posts: 7027
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by Fallible » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:45 pm

Like others here, I didn't think it was possible to have a favorite, but if there was one, it would have to be a Chaplin film, one combining humor and pathos which I love best and he did best; a silent film where I think those qualities are best expressed and appreciated; probably a feature length film (although I've watched "The Vagabond," an early short, many more times than any of the features), and of those, "City Lights" or "The Gold Rush" simply because they first come to mind (which must mean something?); and of the last two, "The Gold Rush."

BTW, don't watch the YouTube version of "The Vagabond" - the music is totally wrong for it, totally ghastly. Get a library DVD version.
Last edited by Fallible on Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

FreddieG
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:42 pm

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by FreddieG » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:54 pm

market timer wrote:Tough call, but probably Amores Perros for me.
Y Tu Mama, Tambien !

User avatar
mike143
Posts: 1332
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by mike143 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:12 pm

Silent Hill replaced Swordfish for me. *I was never aware or had interest in the Silent Hill video game.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

User avatar
market timer
Posts: 6172
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:42 am

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by market timer » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:29 pm

FreddieG wrote:
market timer wrote:Tough call, but probably Amores Perros for me.
Y Tu Mama, Tambien !
Agreed, another great one.

rayson
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:46 pm

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by rayson » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:59 pm

The Usual Suspects, and all Kevin Spacey movies :beer

telcodenizen
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:43 pm

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by telcodenizen » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:07 pm

It's a toss up between Airplane! and any Monty Python film.

Bungo
Posts: 912
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:28 am

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by Bungo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:17 pm

The Big Lebowski is surely the one I've quoted most often.

User avatar
Goldfinger
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:31 am
Location: Sugar Land, Texas

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by Goldfinger » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:42 pm

I suppose so, but narrowing it down is just so painstaking. Depends on what kind of movie, I suppose.

Scent of a Woman if I am forced to pick only one. Movies that start off with 2 (or more) characters that have a symbiotic relationship have such an automatic "tension" to them. I cannot recall feeling better about any movie once those credits roll than when I watch this movie.

Wall Street (the original) has to be #2. It came along at the right time given my background.

Favorite Bond movie: Goldfinger (no need to look past my avatar 8-) )

Comedy: Caddyshack and Airplane, although the funniest movie "moment" was Grumpy Old Men (the first) when Burgess Meredith's bloopers started...never in my life have I laughed that hard - ever!

Comedy / Musical: The Blues Brothers. I still cannot decide if it's more a comedy or a musical. But an accidental blockbuster, no doubt.

Glengarry Glen Ross - hard to imagine a finer cast of characters mostly out of their element. Jack Lemmon pulled off a role that nobody else could've touched.

Sports movies? As some other posters mentioned, Vision Quest was fabulous, as I was a competitive wrestler in junior high / early high school. So was Rocky II and Hoosiers.

Shawshank Redemption and Heat - extremely fond of these movies.

Best B-grade movie: 52 pick-up. No question about it - Roy Sheider and Ann Margret are blackmailed by 3 guys. The main one takes sarcasm to a new level (role played by John Glover). My best friend and I have watched this movie - and quoted from it - countless times. "So long, Sport!" "I want you to know what we know so your mind will be clear, you dig?" "Yes, sir, like a lotta people who make a lotta money...you don't seem to have any."

So, in summary: Scent of a Woman if I am forced to pick only one.

--Goldfinger
"At cocktail parties lovely ladies would corner me and ask my opinion of the market, but alas, when they learned I was a bond man, they would quietly drift away." -- Sidney Homer/Salomon Bros

Ninegrams
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:12 pm

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by Ninegrams » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:19 am

IMO no, for a real movie fan I don't see how it's possible to honestly have only ONE favorite. Heck even having a top ten of equal favorites could be hard. I will try, but it really depends on what mood I am in.

Glengarry Glen Ross
Das Boot
Blade Runner
The Wild Bunch
The Good the Bad and the Ugly
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
Groundhog Day
The Conversation
Dr. Strangelove
Casablanca

I could add more to this list that I could call my "favorite" at any particular time.

User avatar
black jack
Posts: 681
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by black jack » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:45 am

It is possible to have a favorite movie - and a different favorite one tomorrow.

But if I had to pick one: perhaps Raising Arizona (which my wife unaccountably loathes)

No, wait, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, no, Apocalypse Now (both wonderful messes)

But there's also:
Dr Strangelove
Jeremiah Johnson
Outlaw Josey Wales
Princess Bride
13th Warrior
Manhunter
and many others I can't even recall at the moment.
Sigh, fail...
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)

User avatar
market timer
Posts: 6172
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:42 am

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by market timer » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:23 am

Ninegrams wrote:IMO no, for a real movie fan I don't see how it's possible to honestly have only ONE favorite. Heck even having a top ten of equal favorites could be hard. I will try, but it really depends on what mood I am in.
OK, here's an expanded list. I was fortunate to live near the Museum of Modern Art in NYC for several years and catch many classic and foreign films at the free screenings.

Sunset Blvd (1950)
All About Eve (1950)
Ikiru (1952)
Vertigo (1958)
The Hustler (1961)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Amadeus (1984)
Cinema Paradiso (1988)
Rushmore (1998)
Amores Perros (2000)
Amelie (2001)
Oldboy (2003)
The Lives of Others (2006)
Synecdoche, New York (2008)
Last edited by market timer on Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

snyder66
Posts: 1055
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by snyder66 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:44 am

Yes it is. "Say Anything" for me...

FreddieG
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:42 pm

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by FreddieG » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:00 am

snyder66 wrote:Yes it is. "Say Anything" for me...
Best ending of any movie :) I used to be an uncomfortable flyer, too.

FreddieG
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:42 pm

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by FreddieG » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:04 am

Funniest, hands down: "Meet The Parents" (only the original).

Kersten
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:05 am
Location: Florida

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by Kersten » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:11 am

Yes, it is possible to have a favorite movie. Mine is "Ghostmaker. Good flick, and my son wrote the screen play. I am a proud Mom.

Ninegrams
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:12 pm

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by Ninegrams » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:21 pm

FreddieG wrote:Funniest, hands down: "Meet The Parents" (only the original).

There's something of a general rule that comedy is the toughest genre to pull off because it can be so subjective. Take the movie "Gung Ho" for example, it was generally panned, and for some very good reasons, the only reason to watch it IMO is because of Michael "you make me laugh" Keaton, . Comedies are not my favorite genre.

FreddieG
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:42 pm

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by FreddieG » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:01 pm

Ninegrams wrote:
FreddieG wrote:Funniest, hands down: "Meet The Parents" (only the original).

There's something of a general rule that comedy is the toughest genre to pull off because it can be so subjective. Take the movie "Gung Ho" for example, it was generally panned, and for some very good reasons, the only reason to watch it IMO is because of Michael "you make me laugh" Keaton, . Comedies are not my favorite genre.

Very true. Some people like Napolean Dynamite. Others didn't.

User avatar
TimeRunner
Posts: 1575
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by TimeRunner » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:49 pm

Ferris Bueller !

Always makes me want to Twist And Shout: http://youtu.be/RaIjYvIayj0
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.

Elaineg1979
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:57 pm

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by Elaineg1979 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:08 pm

Yes, but for me it changes. Now it's GOOD WILL HUNTING.

Ninegrams
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:12 pm

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by Ninegrams » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:46 pm

FreddieG wrote:
Ninegrams wrote:
FreddieG wrote:Funniest, hands down: "Meet The Parents" (only the original).

There's something of a general rule that comedy is the toughest genre to pull off because it can be so subjective. Take the movie "Gung Ho" for example, it was generally panned, and for some very good reasons, the only reason to watch it IMO is because of Michael "you make me laugh" Keaton, . Comedies are not my favorite genre.

Very true. Some people like Napolean Dynamite. Others didn't.
Never saw that one, but with a budget of 400K and a box office gross of 45M I'd say the producers, at least, were laughing all the way to the bank.

taegirain3
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:41 pm

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by taegirain3 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:25 am

Pan's Labryinth

HurdyGurdy
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 10:21 pm

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by HurdyGurdy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:36 am

VictoriaF wrote: My answer to the question [...] "Is it possible to have a favorite movie," is as follows: [...]
You really like Film X. Shortly afterwards someone asks for your all-time favorite film, and without much thinking, you say "Film X." Soon you are asked the same question and you give the same answer. After saying several times that Film X is your all-time favorite, it becomes strongly planted in your consciousness. As time goes on, you enjoy other films, and Film Y is objectively more enjoyable than Film X. "Objectively" in this context means that if I did fMRI of your brain while you were watching these films, the pleasure centers would be more active during Film Y. But you still automatically assume that Film X is "the one."
Interesting. I can't say I have a favorite film or dish or place or toy or game, etc.. When A and B are in front of me, I can say I prefer this A to this B. But in very few areas I have an overall favorite. Mostly in tools for a specific task. Not in items to consume. As if the "planting" did not happen.

I've loved many movies -- too many to list.

User avatar
SpecialK22
Posts: 837
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:16 pm

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by SpecialK22 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:56 am

I'm not sure if I could actually choose a film as an all time favorite, but the closest for me would be Requiem for a Dream. Overall it had excellent acting, a unique storyline (based off of a book), a great soundtrack, and the most original and innovative cinematography I have personally seen in a film. It is a very depressing story though.

Lots of a other good movies posted in this thread. The Big Lebowski is probably my favorite comedy, and also one that I quote most often. Oldboy has the best twist ending I've seen.

thenextguy
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:58 am

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by thenextguy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:52 am

Hard for me to pick just one. I can usually narrow it down to three (in no order):

The Matrix
Field of Dreams
The Shawshank Redemption

technovelist
Posts: 2918
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by technovelist » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:08 pm

I have several "favorite movies":

"You've Got Mail" because it is sort of like the way I met my wife. Without the dramatic tension about the conflicting businesses, though.

"The Incredibles" because it is hilariously funny and touching as well.

"Serenity" because it is just awesome sci-fi.

"Groundhog Day" because of its message of redemption even for the most unlikely candidate.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.

User avatar
telemark
Posts: 2531
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:35 am

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by telemark » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:35 am

nisiprius wrote:My favorite screen adaptation is Tom Jones (Albert Finney and Susannah York), particularly brilliant in capturing the spirit and "tone of voice" as I experienced them, without adhering particularly to the plot. LOVE the fox hunt sequence. My wife hates the movie and if I'm going to watch it I have to wait for her to be out of the house. Susannah York, mmm mmm good. I keep telling my wife I would be OK with her ogling Albert Finney (at whatever age he was in the 1960s) but she apparently does not care for Albert Finney.
I had completely forgotten about that one. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Lots of good stuff in the supporting cast also.

Post Reply