Upgraded to OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tran_man007

Upgraded to OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Post by tran_man007 »

I took the early adopter route on my MBA 2012 and upgraded to Yosemite. So far, my computer hasn't exploded yet and things seem to be working. I guess I'll have to wait until Monday to get my iPhone 6 to try out the handoff/sync/etc... features. How have other people's experiences been?

tran_man007
arthurdawg

Re: Upgraded to OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Post by arthurdawg »

I'm waiting to hear from more victims, errr, early upgraders before changing from my iphone 5 and MBP running maverick...! Just upgraded to iOS 8 on various devices over the weekend, waited on first big patch to come through.
Indexed Fully!
ilisira

Post by ilisira »

tran_man007 wrote:I took the early adopter route on my MBA 2012 and upgraded to Yosemite. So far, my computer hasn't exploded yet and things seem to be working. I guess I'll have to wait until Monday to get my iPhone 6 to try out the handoff/sync/etc... features. How have other people's experiences been?

tran_man007
Happy to hear nothing caught on fire :). I am downloading a couple of work related stuff. Once they are done, I'll disconnect my vpn, and upgrade to Yosemite. Does iphone need 8.1 for the handoff, or is your iphone coming on Monday? (I did upgrade my iphone/ipad, and see the handoff works between iOS devices).
jimbowman

Post by jimbowman »

ilisira wrote:
tran_man007 wrote:I took the early adopter route on my MBA 2012 and upgraded to Yosemite. So far, my computer hasn't exploded yet and things seem to be working. I guess I'll have to wait until Monday to get my iPhone 6 to try out the handoff/sync/etc... features. How have other people's experiences been?

tran_man007
Happy to hear nothing caught on fire :). I am downloading a couple of work related stuff. Once they are done, I'll disconnect my vpn, and upgrade to Yosemite. Does iphone need 8.1 for the handoff, or is your iphone coming on Monday? (I did upgrade my iphone/ipad, and see the handoff works between iOS devices).
The current version(8.0.2) of iOS8 has handoff/continuity but 8.0 had it as well.
Last edited by jimbowman on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
frugalfraggle

Post by frugalfraggle »

I upgraded, everything went smooth. Hand off works with 8.0.2 -- 8.1 not required.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

I normally wait till at least after the first weekend. And on Monday I fly to Philly for a week, so I won't be upgrading "from the road" without access to my backups. So by the time I get back home Friday night, I figure it will be a safe bet to upgrade at that point.
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

MBP upgraded to Yosemite. Elected to turn FileVault on finally. Seems ok so far. Time machine is being goofy but that's likely due to the encryption going on.

Only issue is Chrome processes "reporting" that "Google Chrome Helper (not responding)". Apparently these are not hung, but just not recognized as being ok.

Update: Handoff (i.e. calling from the computer) is working nicely.
Last edited by in_reality on Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
tran_man007

Post by tran_man007 »

jimbowman wrote:
ilisira wrote:

tran_man007
The current version(8.0.2) of iOS8 has handoff/continuity but 8.0 had it as well.
I'm having issues connecting to my MBA to my iphone 6 via bluetooth and therefore I'm not getting handoff/continuity. I read somewhere that there are lot of bluetooth issues and that 8.1 should help.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Handoff should be available (though you may need to sign out/sign in to iCloud to enable everything). However Continuity requires iOS 8.1 that comes out Monday.
blacktupelo

Post by blacktupelo »

I took the usual cautious approach to a new system release and downloaded Yosemite and put the installer on a USB thumb drive (8GB), then installed it on my external testing disk. Download went smoothly as did the creation on the thumb drive. Booted from the thumb drive and installed 10.10.0 onto the test drive. No problems there either.

Was able to boot and login to Yosemite and basic stuff worked as expected.

I have a list of apps that need updating for Yosemite, so the next tasks are to round up those that can be updated before attempting to update my iMac system drive. Important apps like SuperDuper, 1Password5, Crashplan.
Larry
AAA

Post by AAA »

I really wish these computer companies would leave things alone for a while. I'm a Mac user, but don't use most of the new features that seem to come and go with all these OS changes and which can have the effect of making some programs stop working. Are consumers really demanding these things?
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

AAA wrote:I really wish these computer companies would leave things alone for a while. I'm a Mac user, but don't use most of the new features that seem to come and go with all these OS changes and which can have the effect of making some programs stop working. Are consumers really demanding these things?
While I feel for you, there typically isn't a requirement to upgrade. Apple typically continues to role out security updates for two or so releases back. Nothing wrong with sticking with Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks. And yes, I skipped over Lion. If you are using that, move to ML ASAP and you will be surprised how much faster it is. Very much like the Leopard to Snow Leopard move.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Upgraded a mid-2009 MBP to Yosemite. Absolutely no issues noted. Kudos to Apple for making sure Yosemite runs on these near end-of-life machines.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
furwut

Post by furwut »

BrandonBogle wrote: While I feel for you, there typically isn't a requirement to upgrade. Apple typically continues to role out security updates for two or so releases back. Nothing wrong with sticking with Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks. And yes, I skipped over Lion. If you are using that, move to ML ASAP and you will be surprised how much faster it is. Very much like the Leopard to Snow Leopard move.
FYI,
According to Macworld the Poodle vulnerability in Safari has only been patched for Mountain Lion and later. Which is now, at this point, 3 releases old.
davebarnes

All is well

Post by davebarnes »

2010 iMac
switched to 10.10 yesterday
all is well
A nerd living in Denver
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Late 2008 MacBook aluminum body. Updated with no issues. I like it but what do I know.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
crg11

Post by crg11 »

Been running the last two public betas and the final GM release. All has been well and very stable on a mid-2010 Macbook Pro.
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

iOS 8.1 is required for SMS portion of Handoff to work correctly, but the phone call portion is working already.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

I upgraded last night. No issues thus far this afternoon. I couldn't get the "hand off" function to work with my 5S so I am not sure why. I think I may need to change a setting on the iPhone. Besides the different fonts and the flatter look to all of the icons, no complaints here. I really like the new Safari version. It seems A LOT faster than the previous Safari. Regarding Google Chrome, I use Chrome over IE at work but for home I never bother with Chrome because I always liked Safari.

Cosmo
ilisira

Post by ilisira »

JamesSFO wrote:iOS 8.1 is required for SMS portion of Handoff to work correctly, but the phone call portion is working already.
This is what I saw after upgrading yesterday morning. Had a glitch with my vpn connection (three different vpn options did not work), but eventually that crisis was averted as well.

I'm happy for now, have an issue of Verizon reception in my basement, now I can take care of it by taking calls with my computer..
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

I'm running it for a day so far.

You can answer your iPhone on your mac if you want to. Interesting.
telemark

Post by telemark »

AAA wrote:I really wish these computer companies would leave things alone for a while. I'm a Mac user, but don't use most of the new features that seem to come and go with all these OS changes and which can have the effect of making some programs stop working. Are consumers really demanding these things?
That's the kind of thinking that led me to switch to Linux after Snow Leopard; just got tired of being on the upgrade treadmill. And now Apple is releasing new versions once a year, which also allows them to stop supporting old releases that much sooner.

The biggest fear in the computer industry is that consumers will notice that what they have now is perfectly adequate.
Downeastah

Post by Downeastah »

Just upgraded my mid 2010 MBP with no issues. I actually like it.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." George S. Patton, Jr. | | "A man does good business, when he rids himself of a turd." King Edward I of England
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

Upgraded my MBP bought during September 2010. Works mostly OK. I've noticed two issues:

1) Using the MacBook to answer as if it were my iPhone doesn't always work.

2) Wireless syncing with the iPhone also doesn't work consistently.

Maybe these are problems with the new iPhone software? I don't know...
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

Stupid Apple again broke my apache. I dont understand why they cant save the old config. Same thing happened in Mavericks too. Waste of time
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

TimeRunner wrote:Upgraded a mid-2009 MBP to Yosemite. Absolutely no issues noted. Kudos to Apple for making sure Yosemite runs on these near end-of-life machines.
Same for me on MID-2009 MBP. Yosemite works great with our iPhone 5s and iPad, iCloud drive working well. Zero issues.

... Fletch
vesalius

Post by vesalius »

2007 iMac updated with no issues. My machine and safari actually seem a little faster, which may be placebo. So again Thank You Apple for Supporting such out of date, but still adequate hardware.

I am a fan of the new Dark Mode appearance. I will also be happy when I install 8.1 to be able to send and reply to SMS messages on the iPad and Mac desktops.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

Late 2011 iMac. Updated my iPhone 5S to latest as well. Was hoping to be able to answer my phone with the iMac, but apparently my iMac is just barely too old for that. I can make calls with it though - pretty cool! I also like seeing incoming text messages appear at the upper right as well as on my phone.

I did have an issue with my (several years old) Photoshop CS3 due to Java. A little Googling brought me to the solution, and it works again:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?view ... cale=en_US

Also, for some reason, one of my Bluetooth speakers won't work with my iMac anymore. The iMac's Bluetooth settings say it's connected, but the sound continues to come out of the iMac instead of the speaker. It worked fine the day before the upgrade, so I'm assuming it's an issue introduced with Yosemite. I have another bluetooth speaker that worked fine before and after the upgrade.

I like the new Spotlight search in the middle of the screen instead of upper right, but it's been VERY slow for some reason. I'm used to getting results as soon as I've typed just three letters with Mavericks, but now I type the entire word and wait another ten seconds or so for results.

One more... My WiFi printer started requiring my WiFi password at every print! I solved it by shutting down and restarting the printer, the iMac, and the router, and also reinstalling the printer in system preferences. Now it's fine.
vesalius

Post by vesalius »

Ice-9 wrote:Late 2011 iMac. Updated my iPhone 5S to latest as well. Was hoping to be able to answer my phone with the iMac, but apparently my iMac is just barely too old for that. I can make calls with it though - pretty cool! I also like seeing incoming text messages appear at the upper right as well as on my phone.

I did have an issue with my (several years old) Photoshop CS3 due to Java. A little Googling brought me to the solution, and it works again:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?view ... cale=en_US

Also, for some reason, one of my Bluetooth speakers won't work with my iMac anymore. The iMac's Bluetooth settings say it's connected, but the sound continues to come out of the iMac instead of the speaker. It worked fine the day before the upgrade, so I'm assuming it's an issue introduced with Yosemite. I have another bluetooth speaker that worked fine before and after the upgrade.

I like the new Spotlight search in the middle of the screen instead of upper right, but it's been VERY slow for some reason. I'm used to getting results as soon as I've typed just three letters with Mavericks, but now I type the entire word and wait another ten seconds or so for results.

One more... My WiFi printer started requiring my WiFi password at every print! I solved it by shutting down and restarting the printer, the iMac, and the router, and also reinstalling the printer in system preferences. Now it's fine.
The new Spotlight may be reindexing the drive, which can take a while.
Topic Author
tran_man007

Post by tran_man007 »

I went ahead and updated my iPhone to iOS 8.1 - the SMS relay works nicely. Over the weekend, I was able to get computer to answer and make calls. Nifty.
LowER

Post by LowER »

Early adopter - wasn't thinking because the last upgrade (or maybe the one prior) killed my citrix connectivity. Two Macs done and no issues and still excellent citrix connectivity.

Hello Yosemite!

Why is it better?
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

LowER wrote:Why is it better?
To quote Wikipedia, "Beta testing:
Apple has initiated a new public beta program for OS X, a practice not seen with its operating systems since 2000's US$29.95 Mac OS X Public Beta which had preceded the release of Mac OS X v10.0. Yosemite is part of the OS X Beta Seed Program, a public program which allows the first 1 million users to download and test the Yosemite beta at no charge. Beta testers are required to acknowledge the potential risks involved with prerelease software, and sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA). The program began releasing Public Betas on July 24, 2014. Six public betas of Yosemite were released."

Beta testing helps shake out the issues across a wide range of use cases so the delivered product works better.

Apple liked the results of the public beta test so much that they intend to continue the practice, for example see: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/20/app ... ta-thanks/
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
LowER

Post by LowER »

Thank you. That seems somewhat revolutionary/evolutionary for Apple. I'm in.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

The last few upgrades have gone smoothly ... for me. So I'll probably do this one on my next visit to the library in a day or two, where the bandwidth is high. For now I'll sit tight. -- Tet.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

This article may be relevant to some people visiting this thread:
The Worst Bugs in OS X Yosemite and How to Fix Them

The article even includes potential fixes for the bluetooth speaker problem and Spotlight search issue I mentioned earlier in this thread.
ianferrel

Post by ianferrel »

AAA wrote:The biggest fear in the computer industry is that consumers will notice that what they have now is perfectly adequate.
Given that Apple no longer charges for OS upgrades, their incentives for upgrades are a lot more aligned with their users than most software companies. There's little point in pushing out an update without value. Why spend all the time and money developing it just so you can charge... nothing. It only makes sense to make updates if you actually improve things for users.

Of course, that doesn't mean that every user will see, want, or need the changes.

I haven't played around with Yosemite much yet, but the last major OSX upgrade was huge. It increased battery life and increased responsiveness via better memory usage and a host of other minor improvements. That's amazing! Sure, the old battery life was adequate. I got things done. And the old responsiveness was good. I rarely felt like I was sitting around waiting. But things are even better now! I hope that the computer industry never just decides to stop improving. Imagine if they had decided that things were "good enough" 10 years ago?
Leif

Post by Leif »

I just purchased a MacBook Pro a couple of months ago. I'm not yet ready to give up my beautiful icons for the ugly icons, and even uglier dock, that seem to have migrated from iOS. Why they wanted to move backward I don't know. I guess eventually I will need to update, but not now.

I did update my iPad to iOS 8.02. A lot of crashes. Just update to 8.1 so I need to see on that.
Last edited by Leif on Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
furwut

Post by furwut »

Unless you are driven to always be among the first waiting for the inevitable service release is a wise policy.
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

I updated earlier this week*, so far everything has worked extremely well. The SMS and phone integration has been great too, although it was disconcerting for my wife when her calls started showing up on both of our phones! I've generally been a slow adapter, coming from Windows computers dating back to the MS-DOS 2.11 era. I just recently sat down and really sorted out many of the nuances of OS X despite moving all of our personal computers to Mac about 2 years ago. I updated to Maverick only about 4 months ago when I became curious about why our two MBPs had some curious differences in their interfaces. Then I realized that one was running Snow Leopard and the other Mountain Lion. Oops...

At the same time, my IT guy at the office took both of our computers (2010 and 2011 macbookpro models, 17" screen that is sadly no longer made) and doubled the memory from 4gb to 8g and swapped both hard drives to a terabyte SSD (Solid State Drive - basically a high capacity USB/Thumb Drive). The SSDs have made a HUGE IMPROVEMENT!!! Most programs load nearly instantaneously, and the brightly colored pinwheel of overload death appears to have gone into hibernation. I would definitely give a thumbs up to swapping your hard drive to an SSD if you are having any problems with slow downs, memory is also a pretty cheap upgrade as well.

*I usually wait about 2-3 weeks on updating to the latest iOS update, several times I've missed out on very annoying bugs.
Indexed Fully!