Suggest an AM - FM Stereo Receiver?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Myopic squirrel

Suggest an AM - FM Stereo Receiver?

Post by Myopic squirrel » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:01 pm

My 25 year old Onkyo TX 905 AM - FM Stereo receiver's remote speakers switch has stopped working, so I am looking for a replacement. I am not an audiophile, and am technologically challenged. I bought the TX 905 on the advice of a neighbor who was, and frankly, it has too many superfluous bells & whistles for my needs- e.g. a number of options creating different sound treatments of the CD's I listen to - e.g. sounds as if it were coming from a stadium. I am not interested in creating the full home theater sound system (sub woofers, sound bar, etc etc) I've seen in the big box stores, but like the idea of when watching a DVD, having the sound come from my stereo speakers. The overwhelming majority of my listening is FM, followed by CDs (I know - who listens to CD's these days?). I appreciate any recommendations for a "nuts & bolts" receiver. Since I've accumulated an extensive CD collection I don't expect to buying an iPod (I'm guessing very few receivers these days are made without that hookup feature). Thank you in advance!

livesoft

Re: Suggest an AM - FM Stereo Receiver?

Post by livesoft » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:06 pm

Sometimes it's just a fuse. But I would have some high school kid with technical skill look at it before I decided to look for another one.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Marquintosh

Post by Marquintosh » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:24 pm

Myopic squirrel wrote:it has too many superfluous bells & whistles for my needs- e.g. a number of options creating different sound treatments of the CD's I listen to - e.g. sounds as if it were coming from a stadium.
Looks like your Onkyo has an integrated DSP. There still a few Stereo receivers in the market, not a lot of options with an AM/FM tuner but try the Yamaha R-S201 (Crutchfield has it for $130), this can be used with your CD player as well and it doesn't has sound treatments, just volume, bass and treble controls.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS201/Y ... l?tp=47041

lmpmd

Post by lmpmd » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:02 pm

I find it hard to believe many will be listening to music from receivers in the future. What's the advantage? With my laptop hooked up to external speakers I can listen to cd's as well as I Heart Radio or Pandora. With the laptop I can get radio from all over the USA, any town, and there's no issue of reception, because reception is always 100%. If you give up on physical cd's you can just use your cell phone or a cheap tablet and listen to Pandora, I Heart Radio, or the website of your favorite radio station, even if it's across the country. Or you can put your favorite cd's on you phone, tablet, or laptop. Or put them in a cloud like Amazon's. Amazon's cloud is free, but you have to pay once you use up your allowed space. Give it some thought. A receiver set up in your living room isn't the most portable thing in the world. A cell phone is very portable. It's like having a receiver in every room of your house - once it's plugged into external speakers.

Stonebr

Post by Stonebr » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:54 pm

lmpmd wrote:I find it hard to believe many will be listening to music from receivers in the future. What's the advantage? With my laptop hooked up to external speakers I can listen to cd's as well as I Heart Radio or Pandora. With the laptop I can get radio from all over the USA, any town, and there's no issue of reception, because reception is always 100%. If you give up on physical cd's you can just use your cell phone or a cheap tablet and listen to Pandora, I Heart Radio, or the website of your favorite radio station, even if it's across the country. Or you can put your favorite cd's on you phone, tablet, or laptop. Or put them in a cloud like Amazon's. Amazon's cloud is free, but you have to pay once you use up your allowed space. Give it some thought. A receiver set up in your living room isn't the most portable thing in the world. A cell phone is very portable. It's like having a receiver in every room of your house - once it's plugged into external speakers.

Give me speakers the size of a refrigerator and an amp that keeps my house warm. :twisted:

To the OP: Look on ebay for an old Marantz from the 70s.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:06 pm

I have had good luck with yamaha and denon in the past. Sounds like you just want a cheapie. Check out the amazon am fm receiver page.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... m+re%2Caps
You might consider asking your question on avsforum. http://www.avsforum.com/
Mike

Mister Whale

Post by Mister Whale » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:50 pm

The Japanese stuff from the 70s, 80s and early 90s is built like tanks and can still work well. I would check audiogon.com or eBay for Yamaha/Pioneer/Technics/Sansui/Kenwood/Sony and research the model a bit before you buy.
" ... advice is most useful and at its best, not when it is telling you what to do, but when it is illuminating aspects of the situation you hadn't thought about." --nisiprius

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:03 pm

A couple of comments.

I remember reading once that modern receivers may not have the best radio reception, but a cheap antenna can make a huge difference. Just something to keep in mind once you do get a receiver.

Second, consider ripping your CD collection - I used MediaMonkey Gold ($50). I bought a lifetime license a number of years ago and it did a great job for me. I ripped >500 CDs. There may be better programs now, but you can start by checking out MediaMonkey. Now I can play my music from my laptop, my iPod Touch, or my Android tablet. I have a small bluetooth speaker at my bedside and a nicer bluetooth speaker in the living room. I can take my tunes in the car. I love the versatility.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

Ged

Post by Ged » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:06 pm

One thing you haven't told us is whether or not your DVD player has analog or digital outputs and what kind of connection it uses to your TV. My guess is you will probably want a receiver that has some sort of TOSLINK or SPDIF input facility so you can play the digital stream from a DVD player or TV.

There are a fair number of stereo receiver choices out there. Onkyo I think has a good lineup.

One of the things to think about is there are lots of ways to pick up programming over the internet. A combination of an internet radio and your receiver could open up a lot of new sources. Or you could just feed it from a laptop connected to the internet to experiment to see if you like the result.

I used to listen to a lot of FM. Not any more. All I have left is a battery portable for use when the power goes out.

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:07 pm

MN-Investor wrote:Second, consider ripping your CD collection - I used MediaMonkey Gold ($50). I bought a lifetime license a number of years ago and it did a great job for me. I ripped >500 CDs. There may be better programs now, but you can start by checking out MediaMonkey. Now I can play my music from my laptop, my iPod Touch, or my Android tablet. I have a small bluetooth speaker at my bedside and a nicer bluetooth speaker in the living room. I can take my tunes in the car. I love the versatility.
Can you elaborate on this please for those of us technically challenged?
Gill
Last edited by Gill on Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:19 pm

Ripping is the process of turning your cd into a digital form that is playable on a computerized device. This can be a pc. A mac, an ipod or other type of mp3 player, or an iphone or android phone. Basically you have a computer with a cd player. You install a computer program that can rip the cd. When you insert the cd into the computer, the program asks if you want rip the cd. The music is then stored on the computers hard drive, where you can now do multiple things with it. You can listen to it, store it in the cloud so you never have to worry about your cd being lost or stolen, transfer it to a portable player, stream it from your computer to a remote speaker, and more.
There are many programs that will do this, many of which are free.
This takes a while, but if you sst aside a little time each day it is well worth it.
Mike

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:46 pm

Thanks, Mike. Appreciate the explanation.
Gill

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:47 pm

I'll add this about ripping - most of the programs can get information about your CDs from the internet so that you don't have to type in the name of the CD or the individual songs. You may have to make occasional corrections, though. I had to type in all that information for a few of my CDs, the odd classical CD or those bought from an artist at an art fair.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

atwood

Post by atwood » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:48 pm

It may just be that the switch is dirty. Switching it on and off a lot can sometimes clean it or you can spray it with a product like deoxit.

My receiver recommendation: https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

Price is $699.

Vintage can be a good way to, as posted above, but most are going to need work to sound their best.

dwc13

Post by dwc13 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:48 am

Check to see if there is a reputable used audio equipment vendor in your area, such as Saturday Audio Exchange in Chicago.
http://www.saturdayaudio.com/

I have seen some very high quality, hard-to-find items there over the years.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:59 am

lmpmd wrote:I find it hard to believe many will be listening to music from receivers in the future. What's the advantage? With my laptop hooked up to external speakers I can listen to cd's as well as I Heart Radio or Pandora. With the laptop I can get radio from all over the USA, any town, and there's no issue of reception, because reception is always 100%. If you give up on physical cd's you can just use your cell phone or a cheap tablet and listen to Pandora, I Heart Radio, or the website of your favorite radio station, even if it's across the country. Or you can put your favorite cd's on you phone, tablet, or laptop. Or put them in a cloud like Amazon's. Amazon's cloud is free, but you have to pay once you use up your allowed space. Give it some thought. A receiver set up in your living room isn't the most portable thing in the world. A cell phone is very portable. It's like having a receiver in every room of your house - once it's plugged into external speakers.
I have more than a dozen receivers and nearly 60 speakers in and out of my house. Some of those are bi-amped, too.
One of those receivers, a Yamaha, features integrated Pandora. The Pandora audio quality is rather obviously bad compared to CDs and SACDs.

Portability is highly overrated, IMO.

lmpmd

Post by lmpmd » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:06 am

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5332057
As discussed here, with Pandora One (paid not free) you can get 192 kbps bitrate. The advantage of going digital on a small device (phone, tablet, ipod) is the incredible portability. The OP might just try putting 10 or so albums in the cloud (maybe Amazon because it's free) and then listen to them via phone, tablet or laptop with a pair of good external speakers. Just to see how he likes it.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:26 am

There is an Onkyo TX 905 available on eBay right now for $99 buy it now. The description says new in box with remote and cables. Since you are already familiar with this unit that seems a natural... try $75 and see if the seller bites.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:50 am

midareff wrote:There is an Onkyo TX 905 available on eBay right now for $99 buy it now. The description says new in box with remote and cables. Since you are already familiar with this unit that seems a natural... try $75 and see if the seller bites.
There is a 25 year old Onkyo receiver "new in box" ?
Somebody is moving their inventory slowly.
Or more likely, this is just an error in the listing, and it is not new.

I believe you are talking about this listing :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Onkyo-TX-905-Qu ... 43d0885e56

The back of the unit in the picture says TX-903, FYI.
The manual does not look new.

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:21 pm

If I were you, I'd look at the power handling capacity of my speakers and then do a search for a receiver which can't overdrive them, i.e., if the speakers are each rated to handle 50 watts into 8 ohms continuous, I'd be looking for a receiver that puts out say 40 watts per channel into 8 ohms. Any of the major brands would probably be ok, but all other things being equal, thd, skew rate, user reviews, etc., I think I'd tend to buy the unit that weighs the most on the theory that the extra weight might translate into added longevity.

It is getting harder and harder to find a straight AM/FM stereo receiver, one that isn't set up for surround sound, but they are still out there. I have a Harman Kardon 3490 which puts out 120 watts/ch which I would highly recommend if you have the speakers to handle the power, but it is no longer in production, so if you wanted one, you might have to buy it used.

gatorman

hand

Post by hand » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:10 pm

gatorman wrote:If I were you, I'd look at the power handling capacity of my speakers and then do a search for a receiver which can't overdrive them, i.e., if the speakers are each rated to handle 50 watts into 8 ohms continuous, I'd be looking for a receiver that puts out say 40 watts per channel into 8 ohms. Any of the major brands would probably be ok, but all other things being equal, thd, skew rate, user reviews, etc., I think I'd tend to buy the unit that weighs the most on the theory that the extra weight might translate into added longevity.

It is getting harder and harder to find a straight AM/FM stereo receiver, one that isn't set up for surround sound, but they are still out there. I have a Harman Kardon 3490 which puts out 120 watts/ch which I would highly recommend if you have the speakers to handle the power, but it is no longer in production, so if you wanted one, you might have to buy it used.

gatorman
"Underdriving" speakers and the associated clipping is much more of a risk to speakers than overdriving...

dwc13

Post by dwc13 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:51 pm

hand wrote:
"Underdriving" speakers and the associated clipping is much more of a risk to speakers than overdriving...
+1.

donocash

Post by donocash » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:09 pm

If you like Onkyo, bear in mind that they still make receivers, including some basic ones without the "bells and whistles" - perhaps the TX-8020?

You can find models at the Onkyo website. I would think it would be easy to buy one on-line, but if not, I know the hhgregg does carry Onkyo receivers.

Your post struck a chord with me because I also had an Onkyo receiver I bought in 1986 or so that finally bit the dust. By chance, I inherited a newer model Onkyo that works for now. My experience is that you can listen to external speakers attached to a computer, but the sound quality does not compare to a receiver/speaker set-up. Music coming out a cell phone is like listening to a portable radio in the fifties. Don't let people give you a hard time about preferring a stereo system if that's what you want.

Myopic squirrel

Post by Myopic squirrel » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:47 pm

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. Tablets, Androids, iPhones, laptops, smart phones are not part of my world. While not a Luddite, I'm about 2 levels above the 8 track technology. First will try the Deoxit to try to clean the switch (will also call local electronics shops to ask if I can use CRC contact cleaner). Great suggestions re: some AM FM receivers, both new and used, which I will check out. Thank you to all!

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:08 pm

hand wrote:
gatorman wrote:If I were you, I'd look at the power handling capacity of my speakers and then do a search for a receiver which can't overdrive them, i.e., if the speakers are each rated to handle 50 watts into 8 ohms continuous, I'd be looking for a receiver that puts out say 40 watts per channel into 8 ohms. Any of the major brands would probably be ok, but all other things being equal, thd, skew rate, user reviews, etc., I think I'd tend to buy the unit that weighs the most on the theory that the extra weight might translate into added longevity.

gatorman
Not in the example I gave. To damage the speakers you'd have to hook the speakers up to a very underpowered amp and then crank it up to the point it was clipping, wouldn't be pleasant listening. What you are talking about is something like a 10 W amp hooked up to a 100 W speaker. I doubt if you could find any commercially available 40 W/channel amp and commercially available 50W speaker combo where "underdriving" would be a problem at normal listening volumes. Show me some test data where that is a problem and I might buy your argument, otherwise no dice.