Verizon Cell Phone upgrade

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
skinhealer

Verizon Cell Phone upgrade

Post by skinhealer »

Does anybody know if you can upgrade a smart phone (with the unlimited data plan) for verizon and still keep the unlimited data plan or does it go away?

From what i remember it does but wanted to know if any of you have ungraded your smartphone and were able to keep there unlimited data plan?

I had verizon since 2008 and was able to keep the unlimited data plan.
ilisira

Re: Verizon Cell Phone upgrade

Post by ilisira »

skinhealer wrote:Does anybody know if you can upgrade a smart phone (with the unlimited data plan) for verizon and still keep the unlimited data plan or does it go away?

From what i remember it does but wanted to know if any of you have ungraded your smartphone and were able to keep there unlimited data plan?

I had verizon since 2008 and was able to keep the unlimited data plan.
I guess the question is whether you want to pay the full price of the phone, or subsidized pricing. I just ordered myself a full price phone, and when it comes, will pop the sim card from my old phone, and insert into the new phone. This way, VzW does not need to be involved in the process of upgrading the phone, and will not play with my plan. Of course, they will not partially pay for my phone..
music_man

Post by music_man »

As long as you don't buy a subsidized phone. They try to woo you into a new contract by offering a new phone at a discounted rate, and then hook you into a new contract. I just upgraded my phone 2 weeks ago. I've had unlimited data with Verizon for 3 years. I bought a new phone at full price ( ended up buying a model that's 2 years old to avoid spending too much), and went to the Verizon store to get it activated and all is good, still have my unlimited data.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

We lost unlimited data when we upgraded, but it turns out that we hardly ever use cellular data because there is wifi almost everywhere.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
denovo

Post by denovo »

Somewhat related, but unless there's a special sale at a trad. retail store, Amazon Wireless always has the best deals on cell phones.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver »

Get a new phone from Verizon at the discounted price and you are put on a new plan and you will definitely lose the unlimited data plan. I've been through this with Verizonwireless a number of times. Every month I get a call from them offering me a "better" monthly plan. When I ask if I can keep the unlimited data rate that ends the conversation. Verizon wants everyone on tiered data--that's where the money is. And by the way, email counts as data!

Verizonwireless wanted to "throttle" 4G unlimited heavy data users. After pressure from the FCC Verizon changed its mind a couple of days ago.
rb6p

Post by rb6p »

As others have responded, you can do this by buying a new phone at full price and then activating the phone.

However, there is also a way to do this using a free upgrade, although it is complicated to explain. I did this last year without losing my unlimited plan. Google "verizon upgrade phone without losing unlimited" and you will see several links that explain this in detail.

If you would like me to attempt to explain, I'd be glad to do so. But before I do - you need 1) a second line on your Verizon account and 2) an offer for a free upgrade upon signing a new contract.