Android Apps for Toddlers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sunnyday

Android Apps for Toddlers

Post by sunnyday »

I have a $25 Google play credit that's going to expire soon. I use mostly iOS but have a Nexus 7 that I use primarily as a baby monitor. I may also let my 18 month old use it sparingly (airplanes, long car rides, in pain from teething, etc).

What are some good apps for toddlers and preschool kids, both free and ones that cost money, that I should try? She loves animals and music so something like videos of the Fresh Beat Band could be a big hit.
dumbbunny

Re: Android Apps for Toddlers

Post by dumbbunny »

It's a totally different world now than when I was parenting. And now my son is a developer for MSFT in Japan. I am so glad I don't have wonder about which app - not even as a grandparent. Good luck.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
celia

Post by celia »

Is this how you planned to raise your kids? How about soothing music to put her/you to sleep?
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
Topic Author
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

celia wrote:Is this how you planned to raise your kids? How about soothing music to put her/you to sleep?
No, but I'm also not judgmental about parents who occasionally let their kids have screen time. We have a lot of friends who are terrific parents and allow their kids to use tablets. Some of them travel a lot and only allow their daughter to use an iPad on the plane. She loves flying because of it and it makes travel more enjoyable for her family and the other passengers around her.

My daughter has well over a hundred books and is read 20+ books a day. I'm not too concerned if I let her watch 15 minutes of football on Sundays while snuggling and waking up from her afternoon nap. I'm also not concerned if she looks at a tablet sparingly.
boobinson

Post by boobinson »

Our all time favorite is Kapu Forest. That one is free. They make a pay app called Kapu Blocks which is pretty good, but a little more for preschoolers. A fun puzzle game with animals is Live Puzzle! Forest Animals. We also enjoy some of the Dr. Seuss story books like Green Eggs and Ham.

I'd also like to know what other toddler/preschool children use.
fposte

Post by fposte »

The place to go for info on kids and apps is Little eLit; while the info is predominantly Apple oriented, a search for Android revealed a bunch of posts: http://littleelit.com/?s=android
GeauxBR

Post by GeauxBR »

Endless alphabet and endless reader are great. Our toddler loves them.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ssAlphabet
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... lessReader
Topic Author
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

Thanks for the replies. I installed a few of them along with some animal sound ones. I think Endless Alphabet/Reader is the best out of the bunch. I probably won't have my daughter try for a little while, but it'll be interesting to see what she thinks about it.
Peterjens wrote:It's a totally different world now than when I was parenting. And now my son is a developer for MSFT in Japan. I am so glad I don't have wonder about which app - not even as a grandparent. Good luck.
Yes, times have changed. Somethings for the better, some for the worse.
You didn't have to think about which app, but you still had to decide between which tv show, which movie, which video game (if they existed), correct?
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

celia wrote:Is this how you planned to raise your kids? How about soothing music to put her/you to sleep?

"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

If you have time, you can get the Amazon app store, which then gives you the ability to test drive apps for up to 24 hours before buying.
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

sunnyday wrote:Thanks for the replies. I installed a few of them along with some animal sound ones. I think Endless Alphabet/Reader is the best out of the bunch. I probably won't have my daughter try for a little while, but it'll be interesting to see what she thinks about it.
Peterjens wrote:It's a totally different world now than when I was parenting. And now my son is a developer for MSFT in Japan. I am so glad I don't have wonder about which app - not even as a grandparent. Good luck.
Yes, times have changed. Somethings for the better, some for the worse.
You didn't have to think about which app, but you still had to decide between which tv show, which movie, which video game (if they existed), correct?
Absolutely. You never know where or how they will be influenced. I did a lot of hoping and praying as a parent and I still do as a grandparent.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
GeauxBR

Post by GeauxBR »

sunnyday wrote:Thanks for the replies. I installed a few of them along with some animal sound ones. I think Endless Alphabet/Reader is the best out of the bunch. I probably won't have my daughter try for a little while, but it'll be interesting to see what she thinks about it.
Some of favorite home movies so far are the ones we made while our son was learning the sounds on endless alphabet. Hope she enjoys it.
Topic Author
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

So all of the apps that I've downloaded have been for free so I'm still wondering how to spend the credit. I may use it on some movies. I prefer Pixar over Disney and Pixar has packs of short movies for $10. I'm not sure though because they may have some violence.

If anyone has any movie recommendations too that would be great. Something with a lot of music and no princesses would be ideal.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

sunnyday wrote: If anyone has any movie recommendations too that would be great. Something with a lot of music and no princesses would be ideal.
Does it have to be animated? Because Google Play has some classic live-action, kid-friendly musicals, such as The Sound of Music, The Wizard of Oz, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, etc.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Topic Author
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

JupiterJones wrote:
sunnyday wrote: If anyone has any movie recommendations too that would be great. Something with a lot of music and no princesses would be ideal.
Does it have to be animated? Because Google Play has some classic live-action, kid-friendly musicals, such as The Sound of Music, The Wizard of Oz, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, etc.
Great suggestion. Thank you
Slowmaha

Post by Slowmaha »

ABCMouse... Hands down.. I think it might actually be free. My 18 month old watched that thing most of the way of a 23 hour road trip.. All educational stuff. They have a bunch of catchy jingles for the alphabet.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

I think I would not allow the use of any electronic gadgets until the brain is more developed.
Topic Author
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

dolphinsaremammals wrote:
I think I would not allow the use of any electronic gadgets until the brain is more developed.

A professional we just spoke with about it said it's fine but she knows we only plan to do it sparingly. I'm not sure if celia is a parent but the advice seems a bit naive to me.