Heating duct cleaning for an old house

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Murray Boyd

Heating duct cleaning for an old house

Post by Murray Boyd » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:20 pm

Anybody get their heating ducts cleaned out? Was it worth it? My house is 100+ years old and I'm sure there's a ton of dust and dirt in there, but the EPA doesn't exactly recommend it.

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/airduct.html

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Heating duct cleaning for an old house

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:46 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (heating duct cleaning).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Dale_G

Post by Dale_G » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:26 pm

Ive owned homes with forced air heating cooling for more than 40 years. At my wife's insistence I've occassionally pulled some of the registers and inspected the first 10 feet or so of the ducts. I've never found more than a few "dust bunnies".

It is easy enough to take a look.

In any case, maintain your air filters, but if they are not plugging up with dust, the odds are you don't have a problem.

Dale
Volatility is my friend

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:28 pm

Dale_G wrote:In any case, maintain your air filters, but if they are not plugging up with dust, the odds are you don't have a problem.

Dale
:) If the filters are plugging up with dust, then the filters are working and you probably don't have a problem as well. OTOH, if the filters are not catching dust, then ….
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.