Good source of educational materials?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
epilnk

Good source of educational materials?

Post by epilnk » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:10 pm

My 6th grader is playing the stock market game in school. While this is a fun way to engage them and exposes them to a lot of interesting concepts and principles, "winning" the game is basically a gambling contest. We've already had some conversations on the differences between investing and speculating, and we've discussed how indexing works. But I don't really think that is a winning strategy for the classroom project so I don't want to push him toward trying to talk his group into mutual funds.

His homework tonight is research - he is supposed to start following "financial news" for tomorrow's class discussion. I'd like to point him toward information sources that will 1) teach something about market economics (he's pretty fascinated), 2) not necessarily encourage the stock market = gambling = good way to get rich mentality, but still 3) allow him to participate and perhaps even do well. Any suggestions?

livesoft

Re: Good source of educational materials?

Post by livesoft » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:21 pm

Accessible web sites for financial news:

bloomberg.com
npr.org (Planet Money might be most fun for a 6th grader)
http://www.bbc.com/news/business/
http://www.latimes.com/business/

WSJ and NYTimes have paywalls.

My experience with my 2 kids who did this in school: I will state that the teachers of these units have no interest in education. They use this unit mostly because the lesson plans are provided and they do not need to do any thinking or preparation themselves. I always thought it would've been cool to have my child do a special report "Why Teachers Are Getting Screwed With Their Retirement Plans" whenever this unit came up. And my children's favorite aunt has been a teacher for more than 30 years.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.