What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FI4LIFE

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by FI4LIFE » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:00 pm

Just finished two by John Grisham. "The Reckoning" and "The Guardians"

The first follows the story of a southern farmer who kills a man for reasons to be discovered. It covers the family fallout, trial and goes back to reveal the events which lead to the murder.

The second follows a lawyer/minister who runs a practice dedicated to freeing the wrongfully convicted.

Of the two, I much preferred "The Reckoning." Grisham never disappoints but "The Guardians" didn't hold my interest like most of his books.

Reckoning - 4 stars
Guardians - 3.5 stars

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:34 pm

All He Ever Wanted
by Anita Shreve

A college professor is obsessed with a woman he spots during
the aftermath of a hotel fire. He woos her and marries her but
the marriage is spiritless and perfunctory to her and a source of
bewilderment to him, even after many years and two children.
On a long train ride, years later, he reflects and writes about
his life with her after he uncovers some events that occurred in
her life before he met her.
Setting for this novel is New England, circa early 1900s

nonfacebookuser365

Post by nonfacebookuser365 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:05 am

Triggered by Donald Trump Jr.

Received as a gift. A very good read.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:49 am

Thought this article might be of interest to all fans of Lee Child's Jack Reacher series.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/ ... er-step-in

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:34 pm

BashDash wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:49 am
Thought this article might be of interest to all fans of Lee Child's Jack Reacher series.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/ ... er-step-in
Interesting. I've read him from the start and enjoyed him immensely until a couple of years ago when he started mailing it in. First his short stories, in some cases 20 (?) pages or less, then his recent books. I've written in this thread what a stinker I thought Blue Moon is. Search the thread for "lee child john wick" if you want my prior post.
I read at least one of his brother's books but don't remember anything about it despite a quick look at Andrew Grant on Amazon.

DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:42 pm

The best I have read in the past year
Fiction
The Android's Dream By John Scalzi
Funny unusual science fiction

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel By Deborah Moggach
Good story made into a movie. If you liked the movie you'll also enjoy the book.

Hollywood Station By Joseph Wambaugh
Funny comedy of errors with the LA police.

The Last Jew By Noah Gordon
This is the tale of a Jew who escaped expulsion from Spain in 1492.

Rosy Is My Relative By Gerald Durrell
I swear I laughed out loud several times while reading this.

The Wee Free Men (Tiffany Aching) By Terry Pratchett
The Disc World. What else do I need to say?

Non Fiction
Animals Behaving Badly By Linda Lombardi
I learned a lot of interesting bits of knowledge about some animals that surprised me. For example, dolphins gang raping female dolphins.

State of Failure By Dr. Jonathan Schanzer
A well documented account. The obstacles to Palestinian statehood are far more complex than is often reported.

Endgame By Frank Brady
If you love chess read this biography of Bobby Fischer

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:01 pm

DrippingSprings wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:42 pm
Endgame By Frank Brady
Thanks for the tip.

I just bought it on Kindle. I got it free though, I had a $1 credit for delaying an Amazon purchase delivery and inexplicably Amazon just popped up an offer of a free $5 Kindle credit, probably because I’m on a free Prime offer currently, which I’m about to cancel as my month is almost up. They want me to continue as a Prime subscriber which I have no intention of doing.

I visited Fischer’s grave in Iceland in 2011. I love chess but I’m not very good at it, need more practice!

DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:54 pm

You're welcome. I love playing chess.

birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:08 pm

"The author of the Jack Reacher series of novels is retiring and handing over the writing duties to his brother"

That's OK as long as the new Jack Reacher gets into at least two knock-down-drag-out fights per book and refuses to get a driver's license. Also, we still don't know what Jack did to earn his Silver Star or why a West Point grad so decorated was mustered out of the Army as a mere Major.

Inquiring minds, etc.

manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:59 am

Conquistador: Hernan Cortes, King Montezuma, and the Last Stand of the Aztecs by Buddy Levy.

Amazing book. I was actually wondering how they had so much detail, but they actually have Cortes' letters that he wrote to his king (Cortes' status updates like we have now over email to our bosses haha)

Eowyn

Post by Eowyn » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:18 pm

Current audiobook: The Guardians by John Grishman, an interesting, straightforward, plot-driven book ... thus, a good one to listen to while driving.
Current book: The Dutch House by Ann Patchett, a unique, character-driven book. I am currently 60% finished and am enjoying the unfolding of the story.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:13 am

I am rereading, for the umpteenth time, Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. One of the best American novels ever written.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:54 am

ruralavalon wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:13 am
I am rereading, for the umpteenth time, Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. One of the best American novels ever written.
I love this book. I’ve read it multiple times too, and will again.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:36 pm

^^^^^
Along with Moby Dick, one of the greatest American novels. For Huck Finn, very important to read an unexpurgated version.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:26 pm

Here are a couple of Huck "sequels."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... story.html

jdb

Post by jdb » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:13 pm

Reading Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Have been seeing good reviews of the movie. To my wife’s disappointment I generally don’t go to movies. But remembered that over a year ago bought from used book store a leather bound edition with large font published 40 years ago by Franklin Press, back when they took the time to publish quality book editions. And have never read. And truth be told I am enjoying. But will probably skip the movie. Good luck.
Last edited by jdb on Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:17 pm

FreeAtLast wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:36 pm
^^^^^
Along with Moby Dick, one of the greatest American novels. For Huck Finn, very important to read an unexpurgated version.
I have both the unexpurgated version and the sanitized version. Both are great in my opinion.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:54 pm

"Wayfaring Stranger" by James Lee Burke. This is the first of 2 in the Holland Family series. About 1/2 way thru, very enjoyable.

Dave

Wind_Reaver

Post by Wind_Reaver » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:29 pm

Three editions of Reminiscences of a Stock Operator, by Edwin Lefèvre.

Edwin Lefèvre published a series of articles in the Saturday Evening Post (1922-1923) warning investors on the dangers of stock market gambling. The articles are fictional presentations of people, events, and "lessons" recounted from history and the life of stock operator Jesse Livermore. First published in book form in 1923, Reminiscences of a Stock Operator has numerous versions and reprints, three editions are covered below.
  • The Illustrated Edition (2004) contains the original titles, subtitles, text, and illustrations for Lefèvre's magazine article series. It also includes additional articles by the author on the same topic published separately from the planned series. This version was published with the blessing of the original author's estate and heirs.
  • The 75th Anniversary Edition (1997) lists generic chapters numerically without titles or subtitles, and is a conversion of the individual articles to book format. The net effect lessens the impact of the author's intended warning to investors, and instead reinforces the "lessons" of the article's fictional subject. Also includes general biographical history of Jesse Livermore.
  • The Annotated Edition (2009) lists chapters with Roman numerals and without original titles and subtitles. The text is similar, if not the same, to the 75th Anniversary Edition. The annotations contained throughout increase reader comprehension of periodic historical issues, people, and events the main text assumes the reader is aware.
Edwin Lefèvre's articles caution against gambling in the stock market, which is distinguished from speculating, both of which are removed from investing. Sections of interest to Bogleheads include those on stock tip giving and receiving, and those describing the different types and levels of suckers. The descriptions can be blunt, and may be intended to shock the reader into awareness. Also of note are the articles not part of the original Saturday Evening Post series covering the same topic. These are told from the author's point of view rather than his subject. Of interest is the encounter with a reader protesting the correct "lessons" the author's subject does not properly learn or apply, and the author's lament the reader took the wrong message from the articles. All versions contain many memorable lines still repeated today, often out of context.

Reminiscences of a Stock Operator: Illustrated Edition (2004)
Reminiscences of a Stock Operator: With New Commentary and Insights on the Life and Times of Jesse Livermore (Annotated Edition)(2009)
Reminiscences of a Stock Operator: 75th Anniversary Edition (1997)

Recommend the Illustrated version overall for original text, message, and art.
Recommend the Annotated version for insightful historical references and contextual clarity.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:03 pm

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

It's good, hard to put down. Unfortunately the subject matter (apocalypse by flu) is a bit *too* timely for me right now. Just bad timing I'm sure. Right? RIght?

Case59

Post by Case59 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:15 pm

I Am Dynamite: A Life Of Nietzsche, by Sue Prideaux. Good biography of this famously strange, brilliant man.
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain

AnonLady

Post by AnonLady » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:21 pm

The Neutronium Alchemist, second in the series started with The Reality Dysfunction, by Peter Hamilton. Apparently the trilogy is called the Night's Dawn Trilogy. I don't know about the last book yet, but so far the first two are both >1000 pages. I like them a lot but they are a big commitment. Science fiction, if not obvious from the titles.

GCD

Post by GCD » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:37 pm

Currently re-reading Road to Serfdom with my family. Second time for me, first time for them.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:49 pm

AnonLady wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:21 pm
The Neutronium Alchemist, second in the series started with The Reality Dysfunction, by Peter Hamilton. Apparently the trilogy is called the Night's Dawn Trilogy. I don't know about the last book yet, but so far the first two are both >1000 pages. I like them a lot but they are a big commitment. Science fiction, if not obvious from the titles.
I've read quite a bit of Peter Hamilton. FYI - We have a dedicated sci-fi thread: Good Modern Science Fiction
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Dasnyc

Post by Dasnyc » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:39 pm

FI4LIFE wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:00 pm
Just finished two by John Grisham. "The Reckoning" and "The Guardians"....

Reckoning - 4 stars
Guardians - 3.5 stars
I recently also read both books. I enjoyed them both, but not super impressed by either of them. I’d rate both about the same.

Van

Post by Van » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:50 pm

I Hear You Paint Houses

Excellent, especially if you have a Philly connection.

AnonLady

Post by AnonLady » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:09 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:49 pm
AnonLady wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:21 pm
I've read quite a bit of Peter Hamilton. FYI - We have a dedicated sci-fi thread: Good Modern Science Fiction
Thanks, sweet!!!!!! Bogleheads Sci fi thread, sounds amazingly nerdy (ie wonderful).

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:17 pm

sbaywriter wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:09 pm
I just finished Circe by Madeline Miller, which I enjoyed tremendously - I've read a lot of junk recently, because I'm lazy and so read a lot of junky novels, but this was fascinating and original and also easy to read. Although it draws heavily on Greek mythology, particularly the stories in the Odyssey - so maybe harder and not as enjoyable if you never read the Oddysey - although there is a nice glossary in the back that acts as kind of summary of Greek mythology..

Written from the viewpoint of Circe, goddess and witch. Kind of a fantasy and retelling of myth.
I’m reading this now. Completely agree with sbaywriter’s assessment. Really enjoying the book.

Edit: typo
Last edited by quantAndHold on Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:48 pm

The Rub of Time: Bellow, Nabokov, Hitchens, Travolta, Trump. Essays and Reportage, 1986–2016, by Martin Amis.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:06 pm

I have an old collection of short stories by Saki I've been ignoring for a few years.

Very entertaining!

They are renowned for having "twist" endings, but it is a bit more than that. The "twist" is generally revealed gradually (if you are paying attention).

What makes them worth while is how well they are written, not (just) the cleverness, of which there is plenty, but the overall quality of the writing. You simply want to keep reading on. There is always a bit of suspense.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Compound

Post by Compound » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:20 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:01 pm
DrippingSprings wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:42 pm
Endgame By Frank Brady
Thanks for the tip.

I just bought it on Kindle. I got it free though, I had a $1 credit for delaying an Amazon purchase delivery and inexplicably Amazon just popped up an offer of a free $5 Kindle credit, probably because I’m on a free Prime offer currently, which I’m about to cancel as my month is almost up. They want me to continue as a Prime subscriber which I have no intention of doing.

I visited Fischer’s grave in Iceland in 2011. I love chess but I’m not very good at it, need more practice!
I’m also excited for this tip. Just made the request from my library. Fischer is such an enigmatic figure — should be an interesting read!

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:06 am

Re-reading Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson.

I really enjoy this book.

birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:21 pm

Until last week, I'd never heard of Mary Louise Kelly [she's the NPR interviewer whose cussing out last week garnered national headlines].

So, I looked her up -- magna **bleep** laude @ Harvard, M.A. @ Cambridge, etc. But what really took my eye is that she has published two mystery/thrillers, THE BULLET and ANONYMOUS SOURCES. I liked THE BULLET so much that I ordered ANONYMOUS.

The BULLET heroine is a French professor at Georgetown who discovered she had carried around a bullet in her neck for thirty some odd years. This led to her discovery that at age three her biological parents had been murdered. She had survived but with a bullet lodged near the brain.

She tracks down the murderer and renders extrajudicial justice. But any more would be telling and would spoil a very surprising ending! :^)

You might even find yourself pulling for a cold blooded murderer. Highly recommended.

BGeste

Post by BGeste » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:37 pm

Swag by Elmore Leonard

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:59 am

This Side of Paradise, F. Scott Fitzgerald's first novel.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:47 am

"An American Marriage."
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/06/book ... jones.html

Really good so far.

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:14 pm

Just devoured "Defending Jacob" by William Landay. Read it in two days. A district attorney heads up an investigation into the murder of a teenage boy until his own son is implicated in the murder. A real page turner.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:36 pm

BGeste wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:37 pm
Swag by Elmore Leonard

I liked how they came up their 10 golden rules for a successful career in armed robbery and then proceeded to systemically break them.

"1. Always be polite on the job and say please and thank you.
2. Never say more than necessary. Less is more.
3. Never call your partner by name-unless you use a made-up name.
4. Never look suspicious or like a bum and dress well.
5. Never use your own car.
6. Never count the take in the car.
7. Never flash money in a bar or with women.
8. Never go back to an old bar or hangout once you have moved up.
9. Never tell anyone your business and never tell a junkie even your name.
10. Never associate with people known to be in crime."

Of the Elmore Leonard books I've read, this was the most memorable and the one I liked the best. One reason why Leonard is such a good writer is that he is pretty good at following his own 10 golden rules for success:

"1. Never open a book with weather.
2. Avoid prologues.
3. Never use a verb other than "said" to carry dialogue.
4. Never use an adverb to modify the verb "said."
5. Keep your exclamation points under control
6. Never use the words "suddenly" or "all hell broke loose."
7. Use regional dialect, patois, sparingly.
8. Avoid detailed descriptions of characters.
9. Don't go into great detail describing places and things.
10. Try to leave out the part that readers tend to skip.
"

And he added:

"My most important rule is one that sums up the 10.

If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it
."

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/16/arts ... all&src=pm
Last edited by Finridge on Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:43 pm

The Bomb Maker, by Thomas Perry
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:56 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:06 am
Re-reading Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson.

I really enjoy this book.
Such a great book. I found myself talking like a pirate after reading it. I must read it again. I’ve started reading his other novels now. An interesting guy with a sad ending in Tahiti.

If you’re ever in Napa county, CA, you must visit Robt. Louis Stevenson State Park. Stevenson spent his honeymoon in a cabin there at a played out mine. He wrote a book about it entitled Silverado Squatters. The cabin is gone but you can hike to the site. It’s beautiful there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Lo ... State_Park

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:20 pm

The Crow Trap, by Ann Cleeves.

Murders on a hill farm are investigated, while an environmental survey is in progress concerning a proposed quarry.

I read this book because I enjoyed the author's Shetland mysteries. In liked this book, not as much as the Shetland series.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:55 pm

I occasionally go on a medical binge:

(these are more like medical school texts, pricey)
Low Back Disorders: Evidence-Based Prevention and Rehabilitation
McGill, Stuart M.

Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance-Sixth Edition
McGill, Stuart

(further research into disorders related to aging)

Greenspan's Basic and Clinical Endocrinology
by David Gardner and Dolores Shoback

(various works on peptides and secretagogues)

Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking (Books)
Nosrat, Samin, MacNaughton, Wendy, Simon & Schuster
(I got a better idea of the concept of cooking, how good food is made, what makes it that way. . . as I have no clue how cooks, cook)

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:57 pm

jebmke wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:43 pm
The Bomb Maker, by Thomas Perry
I read the Kindle intro and excerpts.
Looks like a good one.
I like the "voice".
Will get it.

Thanks!!!!!!
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Small Savanna

Post by Small Savanna » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:45 pm

I just finished The Power Broker by Robert Caro.

It's the biography of Robert Moses, who shaped much of the physical infrastructure of New York City and State in a career that spanned the '20s through the '60s, and who was more powerful than the mayor for many of those years.

It's an amazing book on many levels, with a lot to say about power - how it is created, how it is used, and how it changes people. It may change your view of how governments and bureaucracies and the news media work. It's long - 1100 pages, but it's not just a biography, it's a history of a broad swath of the 20th century.

Caro is a journalist turned author, and his research for the book started in the '60s and ran to 1974 when the book was published. In that era, Moses and many of his contemporaries were still alive, so much of the story is based on first hand interviews, which adds a lot of richness to the story. Caro is more recently known for his series on LBJ, which I'd also recommend.

I wish I had read this at the beginning of my career, rather than toward the end, but I'm glad I read it. Highly recommended.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:17 pm

Finridge wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:36 pm
One reason why Leonard is such a good writer is that he is pretty good at following his own 10 golden rules for success:

"1. Never open a book with weather.
2. Avoid prologues.
3. Never use a verb other than "said" to carry dialogue.
4. Never use an adverb to modify the verb "said."
5. Keep your exclamation points under control
6. Never use the words "suddenly" or "all hell broke loose."
7. Use regional dialect, patois, sparingly.
8. Avoid detailed descriptions of characters.
9. Don't go into great detail describing places and things.
10. Try to leave out the part that readers tend to skip.
"
Leonard certainly followed his own rules, but then they were based on his own writing style and he does wisely note that they may not be right for other writers. Take his rules 8 and 9 to "Avoid detailed descriptions of characters" and "Don't go into great detail describing places and things." This immediately reminded me of Hemingway's short story, In Another Country, with its great descriptive detail that even includes the weather; and F. Scott Fitzgerald's detailed descriptions that brought out his characters, such as in The Great Gatsby. Good writers know what details are appropriate to the story and their styles, just as Leonard knew what details weren't.
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:48 am

I have thoroughly enjoyed John Edward Williams' STONER. Several times. Interesting history. It came out in 1965, sold 2000 copies and was promptly forgotten for 40 years. Then the NEW YORK REVIEW OF BOOKS reissued it as a classic, it became a commercial success, and now it's sometimes referred to as "the greatest American novel you've never heard of."

STONER is the story of the life and long career of a professor of medieval and renaissance English literature at the University of
Missouri. A good man. A serious man. A quiet, studious man. And an entirely capable man in his field. Nevertheless, William Stoner leads an undistinguished and quite uneventful life. He never advances beyond the lowly rank of assistant professor. Life finds him locked in a loveless marriage with a mentally unstable wife who's selfish and manipulative and who detests physical intimacy.

Except for the birth of a daughter (whom the professor loves unconditionally and, alas, who turns out badly), and a brief love affair with an English instructor at Mizzou (perhaps the most beautiful part of the novel), there’s little joy in the professor’s life. He’s picked on by his department head and assigned semester loads of twelve hours of freshman comp and sophomore lit surveys (far below his expertise) scheduled at widely separated hours and leaving little uninterrupted time for scholarly writing.

The infuriating thing is that Stoner won’t fight back; you want to throttle him as he stoically endures. And the triumph of the novel is that despite his passivity you somehow come to care deeply for him, especially when, amongst the ruins of his life, he finds love. So tender, so deeply moving.

This is a brutally honest portrait of a man who, despite his faults, you‘ll come to truly care for.

birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:02 pm

BREAKFAST WITH LUCIAN: The Astounding Life and Outrageous Times of Britain’s Great Modern Painter -- by Geordie Greig.

The book wasn’t what I expected, but it turned out to be a good buy anyway. I had hoped for some thoughts about Lucian Freud’s portrait of Elizabeth II. Why did he age her unnecessarily? Why the waxen flesh, the muscles and wrinkles, the dull expressionless face, the glum, tired, bored look? Creative genius or a deliberate calculated insult? Art or hateful caricature, etc.? Author Geordie Greig says nothing on the subject. So, there's a minor disappointment on that count.

But, Greig was a close friend of Lucian's, and we’re not likely to learn much more from other sources about his everyday life. Freud was obsessively private. Even his children seldom knew where he was living at a given time, nor did they or their mothers have access to his telephone numbers. Even his very small circle of friends gained access only by secret knocks and coded telephone rings. Yes, eccentric. Not very well-equipped for everyday life. Very much like his grandfather, Sigmund.

And not just eccentric and unconventional. Lucian was a compulsive womanizer (and manizer). A scamp. A hedonist. A serial seducer. Of his fourteen acknowledged children, only two were born in wedlock. Maybe thirty or forty children in all. Three children by three different mistresses in the year 1961 alone. More than Brando, I think.

If you don’t care much for Lucian’s fathering behaviors, he did at least leave his children £100,000,000. That ought to count for something, I guess. He'd have left more but he lost million£ at the race track. And yes, that's the correct number of zeros. And £s, not $s.

birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:06 pm

birnhamwood wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:02 pm
BREAKFAST WITH LUCIAN: The Astounding Life and Outrageous Times of Britain’s Great Modern Painter -- by Geordie Greig.

The book wasn’t what I expected, but it turned out to be a good buy anyway. I had hoped for some thoughts about Lucian Freud’s portrait of Elizabeth II. Why did he age her unnecessarily? Why the waxen flesh, the muscles and wrinkles, the dull expressionless face, the glum, tired, bored look? Creative genius or a deliberate calculated insult? Art or hateful caricature, etc.? Author Geordie Greig says nothing on the subject. So, there's a minor disappointment on that count.

But, Greig was a close friend of Lucian's, and we’re not likely to learn much more from other sources about his everyday life. Freud was obsessively private. Even his children seldom knew where he was living at a given time, nor did they or their mothers have access to his telephone numbers. Even his very small circle of friends gained access only by secret knocks and coded telephone rings. Yes, eccentric. Not very well-equipped for everyday life. Very much like his grandfather, Sigmund.

And not just eccentric and unconventional. Lucian was a compulsive womanizer (and manizer). A scamp. A hedonist. A serial seducer. Of his fourteen acknowledged children, only two were born in wedlock. Maybe thirty or forty children in all. Three children by three different mistresses in the year 1961 alone. More than Brando, I think.

If you don’t care much for Lucian’s fathering behaviors, he did at least leave his children £100,000,000. That ought to count for something, I guess. He'd have left more but he lost million£ at the race track. And yes, that's the correct number of zeros. And yes, pounds, not dollars.

birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:10 pm

If you don’t care much for Lucian’s fathering behaviors, he did at least leave his children £100,000,000. That ought to count for something, I guess. He'd have left more but he lost million£ at the race track. And yes, that's the correct number of zeros. And yes, pounds, not dollars.

birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:18 pm

Sorry, I haven't yet quite got the hang of posting and editing.