What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bertilak

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by bertilak » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:21 pm

jdb wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:10 pm
Started to reread The Iliad. Forgot how violent it is, even though epic poem. Remembered last one I read was translation by Samuel Butler. Remembered how great his novel was. Ended up re reading The Way Of All Flesh, one of my all time favorites. And only reason I got book was cause found a leather bound old Easton Press edition with illustrations and good sized font in my favorite Chicago used book store last year. Highly recommend especially if find leather bound edition in used book store. Still am looking at The Iliad.
What translation of the Iliad on 2nd read? The Iliad is a tough read and a good translation can make the difference between getting through it or not! And yes, it is a gore fest.

I think the Odyssey is more accessible because the stories are more interesting and there are some good lines in it. Zeus to his daughter Athena after she makes a suggestion Zeus disagrees with:
  • My child, what nonsense you let slip through your teeth.
    -- Odyssey, Book 1, Fagles translation
Do you have children? :happy

I also appreciate a well-made book, especially one I'm going to be with for a while.
Last edited by bertilak on Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:28 pm

I'm reading Michael Connelly's The Late Show. And I have borrowed 109 East Palace: Robert Oppenheimer and the Secret City of Los Alamos again and plan to finish it. I'm also dipping into some of the short stories of the Brazilian author, Machado de Assis, 1839-1908.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:50 pm

Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond

A great corrective to getting me out of my upper middle class bubble.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:56 pm

The Dark Forest by Cixin Lui, Shinran's Kyogyoshinsho, and Principles by Ray Dalio.

jdb

Post by jdb » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:28 pm

bertilak wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:21 pm
jdb wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:10 pm
Started to reread The Iliad. Forgot how violent it is, even though epic poem. Remembered last one I read was translation by Samuel Butler. Remembered how great his novel was. Ended up re reading The Way Of All Flesh, one of my all time favorites. And only reason I got book was cause found a leather bound old Easton Press edition with illustrations and good sized font in my favorite Chicago used book store last year. Highly recommend especially if find leather bound edition in used book store. Still am looking at The Iliad.

What translation of the Iliad on 2nd read? The Iliad is a tough read and a good translation can make the difference between getting through it or not! And yes, it is a gore fest.

I think the Odyssey is more accessible because the stories are more interesting and there are some good lines in it. Zeus to his daughter Athena after she makes a suggestion Zeus disagrees with:
  • My child, what nonsense you let slip through your teeth.
    -- Odyssey, Book 1, Fagles translation
Do you have children? :happy

I also appreciate a well-made book, especially one I'm going to be with for a while.
Agree with you as to the Odyssey, read the Emily Wilson translation earlier this year and enjoyed. Now have the Robert Fagles translation of The Iliad. What piqued my interest in re reading Iliad was reading a few months ago the book “Why Homer Matters” by Adam Nicholson. Fascinating history and explanation as to how the Homeric Greeks were the Viking barbarians of their age plundering the older wealthier civilizations like Troy. And yes, three children, and they still let nonsense slip through their teeth, so sympathize with Zeus. Thanks for your response.

gretah

Post by gretah » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:39 pm

I'm in the middle of Martin Walker's fiction series about Bruno, a chief of police in a small town in the gastronomic and winery heartland of France.

Bruno is a highly intelligent former decorated soldier for France who loves the local people and culture. Novels are slow paced with lovely descriptions of the food, wine, and local caves with prehistoric drawings. But when the action hits, Bruno acts with intelligence and skills.

Plus I'm on the library waiting list for the latest Louise Penny novel. Her plots and writing are top notch. She's my all-time favorite authoress.

For non-fiction, I'm reading Words Can Change Your Brain by Newberg and Walkman. Lousy title: it really discusses practical things you can do while thinking and conversing with others to improve or even change your life in relationships and at work. The authors have done the behavioral science and brain activity research to back up their statements. I usually skim these types of books, but I find myself taking extensive notes.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:03 pm

jdb wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:28 pm
Agree with you as to the Odyssey, read the Emily Wilson translation earlier this year and enjoyed. Now have the Robert Fagles translation of The Iliad. What piqued my interest in re reading Iliad was reading a few months ago the book “Why Homer Matters” by Adam Nicholson. Fascinating history and explanation as to how the Homeric Greeks were the Viking barbarians of their age plundering the older wealthier civilizations like Troy. And yes, three children, and they still let nonsense slip through their teeth, so sympathize with Zeus. Thanks for your response.
I think the Nicholson book is essential reading. It might be the best introduction I've read to the world of Homer's stories, and why Homer is important to us today.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:12 pm

stimulacra wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:56 pm
The Dark Forest by Cixin Lui, Shinran's Kyogyoshinsho, and Principles by Ray Dalio.
The Dark Forest is the 2nd book of the "Three-body Problem" trilogy, which I've read. It's discussed in this thread: Good Modern Science Fiction
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:43 pm

gretah wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:39 pm
I'm in the middle of Martin Walker's fiction series about Bruno, a chief of police in a small town in the gastronomic and winery heartland of France.

Bruno is a highly intelligent former decorated soldier for France who loves the local people and culture. Novels are slow paced with lovely descriptions of the food, wine, and local caves with prehistoric drawings. But when the action hits, Bruno acts with intelligence and skills.

Plus I'm on the library waiting list for the latest Louise Penny novel. Her plots and writing are top notch. She's my all-time favorite authoress.

For non-fiction, I'm reading Words Can Change Your Brain by Newberg and Walkman. Lousy title: it really discusses practical things you can do while thinking and conversing with others to improve or even change your life in relationships and at work. The authors have done the behavioral science and brain activity research to back up their statements. I usually skim these types of books, but I find myself taking extensive notes.
The "Bruno" series is fun. There was one that had a nasty plot, so I just skipped that one.
I just read the most recent.

There's a somewhat similar series, set in Aix en Provence, but I'm forgetting the names just now. Ah, good old Google:
M.L.Longworth (author), first in series = "Death at the Chateau Bremont (A Provencal Mystery)"

and then there is the Donna Leon series set in Venice.
If you get the hard cover, there is a map inside the front cover, with the key areas in the city shown. I read these before our trip there, and it really helped me stay oriented :happy

They are all pleasant reading.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:44 pm

i"ve been reading the Martin Walker series for years. I started the latest, A taste for Vengeance and paused about half though it.

Funny you mention Louise Penny. A good friend has recommended her several times. I started the 1st in the series and thought it was so, so. After speaking with my friend again today and his comment that they get better as you get into the series I downloaded it again and will retry it. He says the latest in the series almost brought tears to his eyes. I can't imagine.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:25 am

The Seven Dials Mystery, by Agatha Christie.

This is a complicated story of industrial espionage and international intrigue. As the main character says at the end "I'm completely bewildered" "Nothing is what it seems."
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

hdas

Post by hdas » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:58 pm

Technological Revolutions and Financial Capital - The Dynamics of Bubbles and Golden Ages by Carlota Perez

Excellent so far. Here’s a competent precis https://www.foreignaffairs.com/reviews/ ... cs-bubbles

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:31 pm

Blood Makes the Grass Grow Green: A Year in the Desert with Team America by Johnny Rico
Outrageous, hilarious, and absolutely candid, Blood Makes the Grass Grow Green is Johnny Rico’s firsthand account of fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan, a memoir that also reveals the universal truths about the madness of war.
I've read numerous military books that make all operations seem like they were completed by Seal Team Six so it was a bit refreshing to hear from a grunt in the infantry and his perspective. Makes me ponder just what might be accomplished if things were a bit more organized and thought out better.

brausch

Post by brausch » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:19 pm

How the Scots Invented the Modern World by Arthur Herman

Wonderfully written book covering (I'm about 60% through at this point) the time period from the late 1600s into the 1800s. It is an extremely well written history of the many excellent Scottish thinkers and writers of that time period and their impact on the modern (primarily European and American) world. Some of the more well known people discussed include: Robert Burns, James Boswell, David Hume, Francis Hutcheson, Lord Henry Kames, Sir Walter Scott and Adam Smith. But the book includes bits and pieces from dozens or even hundreds of other folks.

The author integrates the history of religion, business and politics during that couple of hundred years, primarily set in Great Britain but also including quite a bit of information about the American colonies and the early US. I've learned a ton from reading this book and have gotten quite a few ideas for further reading.

I can't tell if the author is writing for an American or English based audience, but he does assume quite a bit of knowledge of the history of Great Britain.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:26 pm

Fear: Trump in the White House by Bob Woodward. Just downloaded it on Kindle today and finished chapters 1-9 this morning. It's really interesting!

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:30 pm

I just finished Mythos, The Greek Myths Retold by Stphen Fry.

For those of you not familiar with Stephen Fry, I'm not quite sure how to describe him. He is British. He is famous for being -- Stephen Fry! He is a "polymath," defined as "a person of great and diversified learning." A Renaissance Man. He is also a Comedian, TV presenter, Writer, Actor, Friend of the high (British Royalty) and low (ex-jailbird), and the otherwise rich and famous

Now to the book. Here is an excerpt from Fry's introduction:
  • I am only concerned with telling the stories, not with explaining them or investigating the human truths and psychological insights that may lie behind them.
Despite that disclaimer, he does have a lot to say about the stories, and, as you might have guessed, he is a pretty good story teller. To get a bit of the flavor of things here is a footnote to one of the stories:
  • There are those who like to suggest that the idea of Argos having a hundred eyes arose from a fanciful way of expressing his extreme watchfulness. ... We repudiate such dull, unromantic propositions with the contempt they deserve. Argus had a hundred eyes. Fact.
To get to know Stephen Fry turn on your Amazon Streaming service and look for Qi (Quite Interesting), a quiz show hosted by Stephen Fry. Panelists are scored on their answers to various questions. They are scored more on how interesting their answers are than how correct they are. Thy lose points for obvious answers.

jdb

Post by jdb » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:46 pm

Just finished Uttermost Part Of The Earth by E. Lucas Bridges. Mentioned to friend who has old book collection how much I enjoyed The Voyage of the Beagle, especially Darwin’s descriptions of Tierra del Fuego and the native Indians. So friend gave me this book published 70 years ago in London written by son of the English missionary who was one of first European settlers in southern Tierra del Fuego, he was Anglican missionary who founded town of Ushuaia in 1870 for his mission. The author spent most of his life along the Beagle Channel in a hardscrabble pioneer life, eventually getting large land holdings and becoming sheep and cattle rancher. Was fluent in the local Indian dialects, much of book describes local tribes and their customs, often violent. Fascinating story of a bygone era, Indians now almost extinct having succumbed to measles epidemics. Highly recommend, especially if can locate in used bookstore or from friend the edition published 70 years ago with many great photographs from 19th century.

RegDunlopCPA

Post by RegDunlopCPA » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:42 pm

12 Rules for Life by Jordan B. Peterson. It has been fantastic thus far.

MJW

Post by MJW » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:45 pm

RegDunlopCPA wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:42 pm
Haven't read this book but 12 seems like a lot.

jdb

Post by jdb » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:50 pm

MJW wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:45 pm
RegDunlopCPA wrote:
Very funny. Could probably do all of us without interest In actually reading the book to list the 12 rules. Probably too many for me to remember.

Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:56 pm

This Is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay, with amazing true stories about the NHS.

Marylander1

keepingitsimple

Post by keepingitsimple » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:34 pm

The History of the United States in Five Crashes by Scott Nations.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:53 pm

jdb wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:50 pm
MJW wrote:
RegDunlopCPA wrote:
Very funny. Could probably do all of us without interest In actually reading the book to list the 12 rules. Probably too many for me to remember.
You can find lists of the rules online and the actual rules are fine enough. They are right along the lines of what your mother or an aunt might tell you. But I found the text "explaining" the rules to be tedious and pedantic and sometimes ridiculous. This included claims that "order" is male and "chaos" is feminine, and a lot of talk about lobsters in discussing dominance hierarchies--I could have thought of a dozen better examples.

A review I found myself nodding in agreement with:
https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/u ... tellectual

RegDunlopCPA

Post by RegDunlopCPA » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:19 pm

Finridge wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:53 pm
jdb wrote:
MJW wrote:
RegDunlopCPA wrote:
You can find lists of the rules online and the actual rules are fine enough. They are right along the lines of what your mother or an aunt might tell you. But I found the text "explaining" the rules to be tedious and pedantic and sometimes ridiculous. This included claims that "order" is male and "chaos" is feminine, and a lot of talk about lobsters in discussing dominance hierarchies--I could have thought of a dozen better examples.

Well he's a psychologist and it requires some thought while reading (so it's no Harry Potter). You don't have to like it. It's just what I'm reading right now as the thread asks.

It is currently in the amazon.com top 5 bestsellers and over the course of 2018 topped the non fiction bestsellers list in the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Reuters, and USA Today, etc. There are millions of people reading it. Perhaps your "I can think of a dozen better examples" will make it into your own 2 million plus copies sold bestseller someday?

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:07 am

RegDunlopCPA wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:19 pm
Finridge wrote:
jdb wrote:
MJW wrote:
RegDunlopCPA wrote:

Well he's a psychologist and it requires some thought while reading (so it's no Harry Potter). You don't have to like it. It's just what I'm reading right now as the thread asks.

It is currently in the amazon.com top 5 bestsellers and over the course of 2018 topped the non fiction bestsellers list in the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Reuters, and USA Today, etc. There are millions of people reading it. Perhaps your "I can think of a dozen better examples" will make it into your own 2 million plus copies sold bestseller someday?
Yes, in certain demographics it has become a smash hit. That's why I read it. It was easy enough to google up the list of rules, but I am fascinated by the "rock star" personality cult that has developed around Jordan Peterson, and wanted to better understand it. How better to understand that then reading his best-seller? Seemed like a good idea at the time. (This was before I realized that watching his youtube videos was probably a better route to this.) It's worth understanding the movement that he's a part of. I would recommend his book as being skim-worthy. Like I said, the rules are solid enough--see below. I can't see any that people wold object to. My favorite is Rule 2. That said, having read both Harry Potter and 12 Rules, I wouldn't consider 12 Rules to be a better book, and it's only marginally more challenging. When it comes to psychological insights, you'll find more meat in Harry Potter. This is not because 12 Rules is horrible (it is not, it's just not that great either)--but rather because it is probably a mistake to stack it up against Harry Potter. I would agree that 12 Rules is probably better than most of the books that make a pass through the best-seller's list--but that's not saying much.

The rules:

1. Stand up straight with your shoulders back
2. Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping
3. Make friends with people who want the best for you
4. Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today
5. Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them
6. Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world
7. Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)
8. Tell the truth – or, at least, don't lie
9. Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don't
10. Be precise in your speech
11. Do not bother children when they are skateboarding
12. Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

See? Not too bad. I don't think anyone would disagree with any of these rules. All are worth following. But it's not Shakespeare (or even Harry Potter :D ) either. It's when you get the the extrapolations on these (and extensive digressions from them) in the book where it starts to get "iffy."

Undoubtedly, it is a runaway best seller and beloved by millions. I would assume that most of them find more insight and value than I did. That's great for them. This is just my own review of the book for others who might want to buy it or invest their time reading it. And ironically my earlier post was not prompted by your post, but by the skeptical responses--see it as a lukewarm defense of the rules... Like I say, the rules themselves really aren't that bad and shouldn't be seen as outrageous or controversial in anyway. But I don't see any ingenious new insights in them either...

wornout

Post by wornout » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:44 am

Raids on the Unspeakable by Thomas Merton.

Yukon

Post by Yukon » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:06 pm

The Pumpkin Plan by Mike Michalowicz. 3.5 stars.
Don't Work Forever.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:45 pm

"Pegasus Descending" by James Lee Burke, the 15th in the series. All 15 are excellent.

Dave

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:54 pm

Just finished Record of a Spaceborn Few. This is the third book in the space opera series by Becky Chambers.

Generations before, as conditions became untenable on Earth, a fleet of large ships was built and refugees (Exodans) headed off into space in search of worlds to colonize. What they didn't expect was to contact representatives of the Galactic Commons. Now (after some debate within the GC) humans are now the most junior members of that organization. The people living on the Fleet can move to GC worlds or colonize some of the planets allotted to them.

Many leave, but many wish to stay. The GC provides an empty sun for the Fleet to set up orbit and continue life as before. Well, not exactly, as contact and trade with the GC inevitably drives change within the Fleet. The story follows several Exodans on the Fleet, a young returnee from one of the GC worlds, and an alien historian visiting the Fleet for research.

This is not an action-packed book by any means, but it's an introspective work about change. Everyone involved is changed by the events that take place.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:47 pm

I complete The Bogleheads Guide to the Three Fund Portfolio earlier this week and really enjoy it. I learned a few things as well.

Thank you Taylor and the Bogleheads!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:07 pm

Joaquim Maria Machado de Assis, Dom Masurro (in English translation), having read about half the stories in The Alienist and Other Stories of Nineteenth-Century Brazil. Very tart, ironic, and quite contemporary-sounding if translations by two different translators are to be believed.

A New Yorker article asks, "He's One of Brazil's Greatest Writers. Why Isn't Machado de Assis More Widely Read?" It's a good question. Mind you, I'm only half through the novel. I can't say I'm addicted, or ready to insist that everyone read it. The style and point of view reminds me of Gabriel Garcia Marquez' Love in the Time of Cholera, or possibly Kurt Vonnegut--detached, ironic, not literal realism.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:38 pm

RegDunlopCPA wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:19 pm
Finridge wrote:

Why so defensive, man?
Funding secured

hdas

Post by hdas » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:06 pm

The Frontiersman: A narrative by Allan W. Eckerd. Audiobook.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:52 am

I have two books to recommend in one post. One book covers the field of paleontology and the other the field of astronomy. I refer to them as "catch-up" books, as they have allowed me to update my knowledge of these two sciences to this decade:

"The Rise And Fall of The Dinosaurs", by Steve Brusatte (HarperCollins 2018).

What intelligent individual ever loses his fascination for and love of dinosaurs? Brusatte is a paleontologist who has literally travelled the globe in his career in search of new fossils. He begins his narrative with the Permian Extinction and wends his way through the Mesozoic Era until reaching the impactor disaster which terminated the Cretaceous Period (and dinosaurs) around 66 million years ago. You will learn about the entire history of all of your favorite dinos, along with many you probably never heard about in elementary school. The author transfers his ebullient enthusiasm for his chosen science directly into your limbic system from every page. This book is putatively written for adults, but your smart ninth grader should have no difficulty in comprehending and enjoying it.

"The Milky Way: An Insider's Guide", by William H. Waller (Princeton University Press 2013).

The astronomy textbook resting on one of my living room's bookshelves was published in 1982. Waller's text makes a superb supplement to it. Don't get confused by the title; in addition to describing what we now know about our favorite galaxy and how we arrived at that state of knowledge, Waller provides a comprehensive survey of modern astronomy. Unlike my review of Brusatte's work, I must provide a caveat to the potential reader of this book. Waller often writes as if he is conversing with an astronomy graduate student. The text is not sparing of technical minutiae and presents a lot of fairly complex graphs. I would scan the book for 5 minutes before buying it or borrowing it from the library; you will know then whether you want to take it home with you.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:42 am

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson

"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

If you have a keen inerest in the cosmos then you will enjoy this book. Written with a little bit of humor and humility as well.

From the most accurate measurements to date dark energy makes up most of the mass-energy universe. Dark energy is causing the universe to expand at a faster rate.

Ordinary Matter (gravity and interacts with light) - 5%
Dark Matter (unknown substance that has gravity but does not act with light) - 27%
Dark Energy (mysterious pressure in vacuum of space acting in the opposite direction of gravity) 68%

slalom

Post by slalom » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:27 pm

I just read Mark Frost's Secret History of Twin Peaks.

It was pretty chilling in parts and kind of fun reading, I have some complaints though.

- The early stuff about Lewis & Clark, the fake documents were incredibly hard to read.

- There's too many footnotes and they're in some sort of bright pink/orange text that is also hard to read

- The chapter written by 'Hawk' was supposed to be funny because he's such a pleasant, stoic man of few words on film, but the chapter is very crass and completely unlike you'd expect in print. It didn't work for me and was just too much of a departure for the character, not funny at all.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:44 pm

Wild Fire, by Ann Cleeves.

This is the eight and last :( book of the Shetland series of mysteries.

A young woman, who works as a child minder for the local physician, is found murdered hanging in a neighbor's barn.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:49 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:44 pm

How does the TV series (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2396135/) compare to the books?

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:54 pm

bertilak wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:49 pm
ruralavalon wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:44 pm

How does the TV series (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2396135/) compare to the books?
We loved the first two seasons, they compare well to the books.

jdb

Post by jdb » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:09 pm

Just finished Buzz, the Nature and Necessity of Bees by Thor Hanson. As a backyard beekeeper I have read probably more than my fair share of bee books but this one was special, very well written and covering all types of bees including of course Apis Mellifera, our honeybee, but also Bumble Bees and many other natives. I thought it was fascinating, highly recommend even if not a beekeeper or an amateur entomologist.

hdas

Post by hdas » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:54 pm

A Tale of Love and Darkness (Hebrew: סיפור על אהבה וחושך‎ Sipur al ahava ve choshech) by Israeli author Amos Oz. H

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:55 pm

I finished Only to Sleep by Lawrence Osborne. The title is a connection to The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler. Chandler's estate selected Osborne to write another Philip Marlowe story. They had selected Robert Parker to do the same in the past. Parker wrote two Marlowe novels before his death.

Only to Sleep was a good read. It imagines Marlowe in Mexico and at times in California, but he's now in his 70s with aches, memories and a lot of his observational skills intact. I'm not a Chandler expert, but I think I heard the Chandler dialog clearly.

I've started Lethal White by Robert Galbraith, a pseudonym of J. K. Rowlings. I read the previous three novels in the series. This one started quite well, although you may be somewhat at sea if you haven't read the previous novel. I'm now a third the way into it and am wondering if some of the goings on are more filler than story. I am enjoying it.

I read a few of Rowlings' earlier Harry Potter books and generally enjoyed them but haven't read the later ones. Her writing as Galbraith shows her talent in a quite different genre. She's added somewhat gritty detective fiction to her better known YA (?) wizard books.

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:12 am

Based on Boglehead recommendations ...

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

Koogie

Post by Koogie » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:35 am

heartwood wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:55 pm
I've started Lethal White by Robert Galbraith, a pseudonym of J. K. Rowlings. I read the previous three novels in the series. This one started quite well, although you may be somewhat at sea if you haven't read the previous novel. I'm now a third the way into it and am wondering if some of the goings on are more filler than story. I am enjoying it.
I read a few of Rowlings' earlier Harry Potter books and generally enjoyed them but haven't read the later ones. Her writing as Galbraith shows her talent in a quite different genre. She's added somewhat gritty detective fiction to her better known YA (?) wizard books.
The UK tv series they've made out of the Cormoran Strike novels is pretty good as well. Especially the lead actor.

hdas

Post by hdas » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:45 pm

Aaron Brown. The Poker Face of Wall Street.....Excellent!

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:39 pm

Just finished Beacon 23, by Hugh Howey.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=146455&start=300#p4140787
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Highfeehater

Post by Highfeehater » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:21 pm

The Random Walk Guide to Investing-Burton Malkiel Easy read, basic guidelines.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:09 am

40 tales from the afterlife
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:04 am

Forth to the Wilderness, by Dale Van Every.

This is a very readable narrative history about settlement of the American frontier and border warfare from 1754 to the eve of the American Revolution in 1774, with emphasis on the figures such as Pontiac, traders William Johnson, George Crogan, and Jonn Stuart, and impact of the ordinary frontier people and their changing attitudes.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:30 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:26 pm
Fear: Trump in the White House by Bob Woodward. Just downloaded it on Kindle today and finished chapters 1-9 this morning. It's really interesting!
I agree. Picked up earlier this week, and up to page 150. Well researched and, at least to me, even handed.