What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nicolas

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by Nicolas » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:26 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:05 pm
Has anyone read any Warren Buffett books. I have been searching this thread but it is quite long.
Have you used the search function [Search this topic...]?
Searching just this thread on the name Buffett yields several mentions but only one post about a book of his works "The Essays of Warren Buffett" on Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:42 am.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:28 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:26 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:05 pm
Has anyone read any Warren Buffett books. I have been searching this thread but it is quite long.
Have you used the search function [Search this topic]?
Searching just this thread on the name Buffett yields several mentions but only one post about a book of his works "The Essays of Warren Buffett" on Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:42 am.
Thank you.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:41 am

Just finished "Buried In the Sky: the Extraordinary Story of the Sherpa Climbers on K2's Deadliest Day" by Peter Zuckerman and Amanda Padoan.

https://www.amazon.com/Buried-Sky-Extra ... 0393345416

Reading this book reminded me a lot of "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer. It is a riveting story mostly told from the Sherpa perspective that details all the mistakes that were made that led to eleven deaths on the worlds deadliest mountain. The first half of the book details the background of the various Sherpa climbers and what led to their getting involved in the climbing scene mixed with some history of climbing K2. The second half of the book details the infamous climb and it is very hard to put the book down during this point.

homesleym

Post by homesleym » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:58 pm

my latest:

Dawn of infamy : a sunken ship, a vanished crew, and the final mystery of Pearl Harbor / Stephen Harding.

Member of the family : my story of Charles Manson, life inside his cult, and the darkness that ended the sixties / Dianne Lake and Deborah Herman.

The bad food bible : how and why to eat sinfully / Aaron Carroll, MD. (butter, eggs, fat, yum)

Rossen to the rescue : secrets to avoiding scams, everyday dangers, and major catastrophes / Jeff Rossen.

Robicheaux : a novel / James Lee Burke. (one of his best)

Pandemic / A.G. Riddle.

Undoctored : why health care has failed you and how you can become smarter than your doctor / William Davis, MD, New York Times bestselling author of Wheat Belly Total Health.

The following are new releases and are worth reading especially if you think you know everything about your credit score.

Your credit score : how to improve the 3-digit number that shapes your financial future / Liz Weston

Your score : an insider's secrets to understanding, controlling, and protecting your credit score / Anthony Davenport with Matthew Rudy
Last edited by homesleym on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:59 pm

Hawk Channel Chase, by Tom Corcoran.

On Key West a part time police photographer tries to sort out the mysteries of a drug smuggling operation and a missing girl.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

tj218

Post by tj218 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:22 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:00 pm
Just finished Gone Girl. Got caught up in the hype and read it on a plane trip. Not bad, but predictable.

I may have to catch up on some more Zombie/Apocalypse fiction. Anyone have an recommendations here?

I've read World War Z, Autumn series, Day by Day series, Apocalypse Z series (first book was great), Walking Dead series, Patient Zero (just okay).

Any that I just must read?

I rarely read fiction, but in the survival/apocalypse genre both The Road and Dog Stars are excellent.

cfs

Post by cfs » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:57 pm

Currently reading:

"The Longest Winter [The Battle of the Bulge and the Epic Story of World War II's Most Decorated Platton]" by Alex Kershaw [2004].

"The platoon" is the Intelligence and Reconnaissance Platoon, 394th Infantry Regiment, 99th Infantry Division.

For the author, the Battle of the Bulge was the greatest and most important battle for American Soldiers of World War II.

Note, our shipmate Mister Taylor Larimore saw action in this battle.

Thanks for reading ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

Blues

Post by Blues » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:07 pm

tj218 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:22 pm
I rarely read fiction, but in the survival/apocalypse genre both The Road and Dog Stars are excellent.
Very much agree on both.

I've read most everything by Cormac McCarthy and his work is excellent.

Unfortunately, while I very much looked forward to Heller's next book, it was a huge disappointment.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:30 pm

tj218 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:22 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:00 pm
Just finished Gone Girl. Got caught up in the hype and read it on a plane trip. Not bad, but predictable.

I may have to catch up on some more Zombie/Apocalypse fiction. Anyone have an recommendations here?

I've read World War Z, Autumn series, Day by Day series, Apocalypse Z series (first book was great), Walking Dead series, Patient Zero (just okay).

Any that I just must read?

The Road was so depressing

Blues

Post by Blues » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:32 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:30 pm
The Road was so depressing
Without giving anything away, there was a bright spot... but I'll leave it at that.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

PlayingLife

Post by PlayingLife » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:47 pm

The Woodbutcher wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:24 pm
I just finished A Speck in the Sea about a Montauk fisherman an who fell overboard in the Atlantic and......great read
Added to Amazon wish list - thank you!

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:56 pm

"Presumed Innocent" by Scott Turow and its a page turner.

Dave

benway

Post by benway » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:58 pm

Medina, Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School

A very well researched investigation into our brain- an exploration into the science behind exercise, sleep, wiring, attention, memory and other areas and how they are related to brain health and functioning.

LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:51 pm

HikerNC wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:32 pm
Upon hearing Michael Lewis (author of Moneyballll, The Big Short, etc.) list it as one of his favorite three books of all time, I read A Confederacy of Dunces," by John Kennedy Toole. And yes, it's hilarious. ROFL funny at times. The forward by Walker Percy explains so much.
I love this book. It is truly ROFL. I picked this up on a whim when Amazon had a Kindle Daily Deal/Sale.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides

Blues

Post by Blues » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:06 pm

LazyNihilist wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:51 pm
HikerNC wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:32 pm
Upon hearing Michael Lewis (author of Moneyballll, The Big Short, etc.) list it as one of his favorite three books of all time, I read A Confederacy of Dunces," by John Kennedy Toole. And yes, it's hilarious. ROFL funny at times. The forward by Walker Percy explains so much.
I love this book. It is truly ROFL. I picked this up on a whim when Amazon had a Kindle Daily Deal/Sale.
I really wanted to love it but the humor came across as forced and dated. (Maybe I'd feel the same way if I went back and re-read Pynchon, Gaddis or Barth these days. Oh well.)

paramedic

Post by paramedic » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:24 pm

12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan B. Peterson.

Really thought provoking.

Yukon

Post by Yukon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:12 pm

paramedic wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:24 pm

Our library has 6 of those books on order and 93 people are waiting for it! Think you would ever re-read?
Don't Work Forever.

paramedic

Post by paramedic » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:59 pm

Yukon wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:12 pm
paramedic wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:24 pm

Our library has 6 of those books on order and 93 people are waiting for it! Think you would ever re-read?
I don't know that I would necessarily re-read it. However, I'm only 19% through the book (per my Kindle), so it's hard to say for sure.

The first "rule" was especially thought-provoking. It is a very good book thus far.

homesleym

Post by homesleym » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:11 am

My Latest

The deceivers / Alex Berenson.

A death in Live Oak : a Jack Swyteck novel / James Grippando.

The long count : a John Q. mystery / J. M. Gulvin.

Operator down / Brad Taylor.

Act of revenge : a novel / Dale Brown and Jim DeFelice.

For post-apocalyptic fiction, I like Bill Forstchen's books

"One Second After"
"One Year After"
and his latest "The Final Day"

he is interesting to listen to when he appears on Coast2Coast as well.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:32 pm

Dead of Night, by Randy Wayne White.

Doc Ford foils a bioterrorist plot in Central Florida, and Tomlinson becomes a capitalist. Really.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Charlieville

Post by Charlieville » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:50 pm

Thunderstruck By Erik Larson.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:09 pm

Charlieville wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:50 pm
How does that compare to The Devil in the White City, which I read and enjoyed?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

WanderingDoc

Post by WanderingDoc » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:10 pm

In a similar vein, what kind of (e)book reader would y'all recommend? I have realized that I cannot keep ordering books as it leads to a lot of clutter.
Don't wait to buy real estate. Buy real estate, and wait. | Rent where you live, buy where others pay your mortgage for you.

Ricola

Post by Ricola » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:17 pm

The Rooster Bar by John Grisham, I really enjoyed it.

Blues

Post by Blues » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:28 pm

WanderingDoc wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:10 pm
In a similar vein, what kind of (e)book reader would y'all recommend? I have realized that I cannot keep ordering books as it leads to a lot of clutter.
Get one of the inexpensive Fire tablets from Kindle and just download an epub reader so you can read mobi / azw, epub or pdf.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GEW27DA/ref=fs_ods_tab_an

WanderingDoc

Post by WanderingDoc » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:30 pm

Blues wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:28 pm
WanderingDoc wrote:
Get one of the inexpensive Fire tablets from Kindle and just download an epub reader so you can read mobi / azw, epub or pdf.

Thank you. When you say download an epub reader, do you mean to download it and put it on the Fire tablet? Or on my laptop?
Don't wait to buy real estate. Buy real estate, and wait. | Rent where you live, buy where others pay your mortgage for you.

Blues

Post by Blues » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:44 pm

WanderingDoc wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:30 pm
Blues wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:28 pm
WanderingDoc wrote:

Thank you. When you say download an epub reader, do you mean to download it and put it on the Fire tablet? Or on my laptop?
Once you have the amazon device, you just click the amazon app store on the menu at the top of the screen and you can download the reader to your device. Then if you have an epub you can read it on the same device.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... pub+reader

I use the Moon+ reader on my device.

Otherwise, if you already have an iphone or tablet, you can download the kindle reader to that device and the ibook reader has .pdf and .epub already covered.

Do you have a smartphone or other tablet you'd be comfortable reading on? Feel free to PM if you wish to discuss this outside the thread.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:17 pm

^^^ Better yet, post in this on-going discussion: E-reader for ebooks - Pros and Cons

Let's keep this discussion focused on book reviews (in any format).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

VAslim16

Post by VAslim16 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:24 pm

Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:27 pm

I just started Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules for Life last night. Interesting stuff about lobsters, for sure. Just started watching some videos of him this past weekend at a friend's recommendation. I like what I've heard from him so far and really appreciate his coolness under pressure.

Thinking about starting Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series after an aborted attempt to start the first book a while back. Curious on any thoughts here about it.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:29 pm

"The Burden of Proof" by Scott Turow

Dave

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:40 pm

bertilak wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:35 am
Call me Ishmael.

You may remember my earlier comments about my voyage through Melville’s Moby-Dick (his hyphen). This Is an update.

I am just over two thirds through it. So far it has been about technical details of the whaling process, whaling ships, whales, and whalers, with philosophical asides, some a chapter long.

The are a few strange things:
  • He (Ishmael) is obviously wrong about many things. For example, he insists whales are fish and not mammals despite the scientific consensus of the day. Despite his own scientific pretensions, his justification for this boils down to "I know a fish when I see one." He goes into detail about their lungs and other anatomy being not only mammalian but even somewhat human-like. He even calls on phrenology. Still, it's a fish -- just look at it!
  • He promotes the nobility of whaling by claiming various legends are about whales and whalers even though neither are mentioned in the legends. For example, he says that in the legend of King George killing the dragon, king George actually kills a whale and is not riding on a horse but on some sea creature (dolphin?) and his sword is a harpoon. He does the same for other legends. These are not metaphors but stated as facts, facts upon which the (adulterated) legends are based. This is all to prove that whaling is a noble profession. Throughout the book Ishmael seems a bit defensive on this point.
  • He discusses the nobility, beauty, grace and intelligence of whales for a chapter or so and then goes right into the gory details of hunting, killing and butchering them -– real blood and guts stuff, including the whale’s fear, agony and bloody death throes.
So far, a strange book. I don’t know how much of this strangeness is inherent in the book and therefore sensed by contemporary readers or how much is due to difference in the times from then to now. I believe there is some of each.
I read Moby Dick in 1989 and enjoyed it, I should read it again. I also enjoyed Billy Budd by the same author. It was discovered in manuscript form thirty years after Melville's death and became an instant classic on publication. I recommend it. I also tried to read Typee which is about his travels to the Marquesas (and is his first book) but I just couldn't get into that book, so I put it down.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:45 pm

Dave55 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:29 pm

Dave
I see you're on a Turow kick. :)

I read "Presumed Innocent" and I think "The Burden of Proof" was the next I read by him and liked. I read a third before losing interest for some reason (before I started keeping notes). I do have his non-fiction book, "One L: The Turbulent True Story of a First Year at Harvard Law School" on the list to read. Once I get back into the reading groove, that will probably be the next one on the docket. (legal humor. :) )

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:13 am

WanderingDoc wrote:
I use the cheap no frills Kindle.

vbdoug

Post by vbdoug » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:28 pm

I only use audible books. "Two Years Before The Mast" is a great book more than 150 years after it was written. "The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer made me realize how blessed is my life.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:59 pm

Ricola wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:17 pm
The Rooster Bar by John Grisham, I really enjoyed it.
I just didn't enjoy this as much as his earlier books, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Also, without going into detail (obviously), I was rather disappointed in the ending.
There would have been an awful lot of loose ends just oddly left hanging.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

scfr

Post by scfr » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:32 pm

homesleym wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:58 pm
my latest:

Robicheaux : a novel / James Lee Burke. (one of his best)

Robicheaux looks interesting but I've not read any of the books in the series. Could it be read as a standalone book?

I just finished "The Widows of Malabar Hill" by Sujata Massey, a historical mystery set in 1920's Bombay. The protagonist was inspired by the real-life first female lawyer in India, and deep character development is one of the novels strongest features. I loved it. It's more of a "cozy" mystery than a thriller.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:05 am

I just finished "Astrophysics For People In a Hurry" by Neil Degrasse Tyson. I really enjoyed this book though I admit that even after just finishing it I would be hard pressed to explain some principles like what a quasar is to someone. A lot of things stuck with me but not everything which is probably why I am not an astrophysicist. Even those things that I can't explain made sense to me as I read it so I guess it would be a great reference book to keep around.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:49 pm

bertilak wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:09 pm
Charlieville wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:50 pm
How does that compare to The Devil in the White City, which I read and enjoyed?
I find Larson a very uneven author. I enjoyed Devil in the White City. I thought I'd read Thunderstruck, but when I look at the synopsis I realize I have not. I'll put it on my list.

I did start Dead Wake and reviewed it in this thread, but stopped 100 pages into it given the detailed backgrounders on characters and the ship hadn't yet left NYC. I did read In the Garden of Beasts and found it readable.

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:02 pm

Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson, an autobiographical account of his defense of death row inmates

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:38 pm

Gumbo Limbo, by Tom Corcoran.

On Key West a part time police photographer sorts out multiple murders, break ins, and an old friend's ed entanglement with serious criminals.

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:56 am

1453 by Roger Crowley. Its subtitle is 'The Holy War for Constantinople and The Clash of Islam and The West'.

The final collapse of the Byzantium empire occurred when certain Europeans either captured or in some cases for personal gain transferred technology (building massive cannons) to the those that had been attacking Constantinople's walls sporadically over many centuries.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:28 am

azurekep wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:45 pm
Dave55 wrote:

Dave

I read "Presumed Innocent" and I think "The Burden of Proof" was the next I read by him and liked. I read a third before losing interest for some reason (before I started keeping notes). I do have his non-fiction book, "One L: The Turbulent True Story of a First Year at Harvard Law School" on the list to read. Once I get back into the reading groove, that will probably be the next one on the docket. (legal humor. :) )
I enjoyed both Turow books. I bounce around quite a bit. Now reading "Brimstone" by Robert B. Parker, 3rd in the Virgil Cole series. I am slo reading the Dave Robichauex series by James Lee Burke and the VI Warshawski series by Sara Peretsky.

Dave

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:03 pm

Dave55 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:28 am
azurekep wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:45 pm
Dave55 wrote:

Dave

I enjoyed both Turow books. I bounce around quite a bit. Now reading "Brimstone" by Robert B. Parker, 3rd in the Virgil Cole series. I am slo reading the Dave Robichauex series by James Lee Burke and the VI Warshawski series by Sara Peretsky.

Dave
Turow is very character-driven and sometimes he concentrates full bore on certain characters that one might not be interested in. I think that's why I quit reading his novels. But I did finally get started "One L: The Turbulent True Story of a First Year at Harvard Law School". So far, it's sort of like a journal describing each new day in law school beginning with registration. I think I'll like it since I respect legal thinking (if not lawyers themselves ;) ), and the book promises to show how legal thinking develops using the Socratic method and a focus on case studies.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:14 pm

Just started "A Higher Call" by Adam Makos . An Incredible True Story of Combat and Chivalry in the War-Torn Skies of World War II.

THE NEW YORK TIMES AND INTERNATIONAL BESTSELLER

December, 1943: A badly damaged American bomber struggles to fly over wartime Germany. At the controls is twenty-one-year-old Second Lieutenant Charlie Brown. Half his crew lay wounded or dead on this, their first mission. Suddenly, a Messerschmitt fighter pulls up on the bomber’s tail. The pilot is German ace Franz Stigler—and he can destroy the young American crew with the squeeze of a trigger...

What happened next would defy imagination and later be called “the most incredible encounter between enemies in World War II.”

The U.S. 8th Air Force would later classify what happened between them as “top secret.” It was an act that Franz could never mention for fear of facing a firing squad. It was the encounter that would haunt both Charlie and Franz for forty years until, as old men, they would search the world for each other, a last mission that could change their lives forever.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:36 pm

River of Grass, by Marjory Stoneman Douglas.

This is a history of Florida and the Everglades through the creation of Everglades National Park in 1947.

Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:45 pm

Origin by Dan Brown

Disappointed with this one. Seems to follow the same old pattern as DaVinci Code. Too predictable. Thank goodness I checked out the Kindle version from the library since it is 14.99 on Amazon. On the plus side it’s a quick read.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:31 am

"A Higher Call" .....One of the most inspiring books I ever read. An incredible true story about a American and German pilot during WWII

December, 1943: A badly damaged American bomber struggles to fly over wartime Germany. At the controls is twenty-one-year-old Second Lieutenant Charlie Brown. Half his crew lay wounded or dead on this, their first mission. Suddenly, a Messerschmitt fighter pulls up on the bomber’s tail. The pilot is German ace Franz Stigler—and he can destroy the young American crew with the squeeze of a trigger...

What happened next would defy imagination and later be called “the most incredible encounter between enemies in World War II.”

The U.S. 8th Air Force would later classify what happened between them as “top secret.” It was an act that Franz could never mention for fear of facing a firing squad. It was the encounter that would haunt both Charlie and Franz for forty years until, as old men, they would search the world for each other, a last mission that could change their lives forever.

Here is the link for the book.....over 4000+ 5 star reviews.........
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0095ZQ36G/re ... TF8&btkr=1

Here's a short video clip of the actual meeting between the two pilots.....46 years later....absolutely incredible.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRKQvmT3Xhs

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:35 am

Just finished, "Game of Thorns" by Doug Wead
Covers the Clinton/Trump 2016 campaigns.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:41 am

"Philothea, or Introduction to the Devout Life" by (St.) Francis de Sales

A devotional, one of the beautiful fruits of the Catholic "Counter-Reformation".