What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
heartwood

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by heartwood »

I'm about a quarter way into The Outsider by Stephen King. A horrific murder and conflicting investigation novel. I'm unable to describe it further w/o spoilers. I recommend it as I do most of King's books.

I've also started the non-fiction Broken Trust by Samuel P. King and Randall W. Roe. Broken Trust is about the late 1990s case that charged the Bishop Estate trustees with gross incompetence and massive trust abuse. At the time the Bishop Estate controlled one of every nine acres in the state of Hawaii. The kindle version is available free on Amazon through the open access project of the University of Hawaii Press.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

"The Trapped Girl" by Robert Dugoni.

Tracy Crosswhite series set in Seattle. His best book in a very good series.

Ed
PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew »

Stalin: Paradoxes of Power, 1878-1928 by Stephen Kotkin

An excellent biography published in 2015.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20821221-stalin

Andy.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

aspirit wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:42 am A history book of the USA. This book is titled "Willards School History of the USA" . Written by Emma Willard in 1871 right after the civil war. This account was written by a female in 1871 & its history is quite different than todays public school history books in the USA. This book is almost 150 yrs old.
I like history. Thanks for the title.
mancich

Post by mancich »

"Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow". Same author who wrote "Sapiens". Yuval Noah Harari
hudson

Post by hudson »

Valuethinker wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:49 am
jebmke wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:15 pm A Man Without Breath by Philip Kerr. Part of the Bernie Gunther series.
And unfortunately we just lost him.

No more Bernie Gunther. It's a bit like losing Wallender (Henning Mankell) - something has gone out of the world.
I liked Wallender; I'll give Gunther a shot. Thanks!
Blues

Post by Blues »

hudson wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:18 pm
Valuethinker wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:49 am
jebmke wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:15 pm A Man Without Breath by Philip Kerr. Part of the Bernie Gunther series.
And unfortunately we just lost him.

No more Bernie Gunther. It's a bit like losing Wallender (Henning Mankell) - something has gone out of the world.
I liked Wallender; I'll give Gunther a shot. Thanks!
I liked Wallender, for the most part, though it could really get far fetched at times. Didn't care for the Bernie Gunther series. Just didn't have enough of the ring of authenticity. Cracking wise ain't enough.

The "Martin Beck" series by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö were mostly good reads.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

hudson wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:18 pm I liked Wallender; I'll give Gunther a shot. Thanks!
I highly recommend starting at the beginning of the series with "Berlin Noir" -- actually three books in one volume so a good bargain if you buy it. Often available in libraries.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Austintatious

Post by Austintatious »

If you're into spy novels, stand alones that work even better when read as a series, the ongoing Gabriel Allon series by author Daniel Silva might be your cup of tea. I'm at # 11 in his series of 18 volumes to date, so I'm obviously a fan. Silva's a very good writer. He develops interesting characters that he carries throughout the series, a feature I've especially liked. He weaves history, politics, religion and art into some action packed and well thought out stories. Allon, our hero, works on and off as an art restorer and as an Israeli intelligence operative. The British, American and others of the world's intelligence services are often involved in some fashion throughout the series. It's fairly violent but there's also a lot of thought provoking material to ponder. It's good entertainment, in my opinion. FYI, I've bought 17 of the 18 volumes, used but in good shape, at Thriftbooks for less than $4 each.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Austintatious wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:54 pm If you're into spy novels, stand alones that work even better when read as a series, the ongoing Gabriel Allon series by author Daniel Silva might be your cup of tea. I'm at # 11 in his series of 18 volumes to date, so I'm obviously a fan. Silva's a very good writer. He develops interesting characters that he carries throughout the series, a feature I've especially liked. He weaves history, politics, religion and art into some action packed and well thought out stories. Allon, our hero, works on and off as an art restorer and as an Israeli intelligence operative. The British, American and others of the world's intelligence services are often involved in some fashion throughout the series. It's fairly violent but there's also a lot of thought provoking material to ponder. It's good entertainment, in my opinion. FYI, I've bought 17 of the 18 volumes, used but in good shape, at Thriftbooks for less than $4 each.
I read quite a few of these until I felt like I was just reading the same book over again in a different location.

(Even the Bosch series became comic book like after a while. I actually enjoy the show more than the later books. Takes a few less liberties overall with the way things are done.)
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Just finished "Red Notice" by Bill Browder. Excellent page turner that is a true story of one of the first investor's in Russia during privatization of Russian national companies in the 1990's. His hedge fund retuned over 2,600% in 10 years but not without many battles for truth and justice. Browder also lobbied US Congress to pass the Magnitsky Act. I'll leave it at that and let you enjoy the adventure.

Now reading "Endurance" by Scott Kelly an astronaut that spent a year in space on the International Space Station.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Blues wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:11 pm I read quite a few of these until I felt like I was just reading the same book over again in a different location.
Especially the last 3-4 of Silva's were pretty formulaic. You could almost recite some of the background passages in advance. I wonder how much cut and paste he did on background.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I have never managed to read more than about twenty pages of any book by Ernest Hemingway, but I do feel that I ought to, so I'm giving it another shot... this time, Death in the Afternoon. That's his 496-page book on bullfighting in Spain in the 1920s. I've read about 29% of it... but I don't think I'm going to finish this one, either. It's not so much the unavoidable questions of ethics and animal cruelty, as that the more I read, the more I wonder if he really knew as much as he seemed to know... and if he really understood bullfighting from viewpoint of Spanish culture the way he seemed to think he did. At least he hasn't (yet) said anything as outrageous as Robert Baden-Powell (founder of the Boy Scouts) said about the "sport" of pig-sticking, "Not only is pig-sticking the most exciting and enjoyable sport for both the man and horse as well, but I really believe that the boar enjoys it too."

I read and enjoyed Love in the Time of Cholera, in English translation, by Gabriel García Márquez, so I expected to enjoy One Hundred Years of Solitude, but am finding it very tough going and not as enjoyable.

Just finished Michael Connelly, The Wrong Side of Goodbye, very good, and 100 Fathoms Under: A Rick Brant Electronic Adventure, by "John Blaine," a juvenile series I read as a kid--Hardy Boys for nerds.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
aspirit

Post by aspirit »

Modern Money Mechanics, ..by the Federal Reserve. https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/modern ... qsQAvD_BwE

Creation of banks, :moneybag funds, debt, taxation, amongst other monetary issues w/inflationary considerations. Perpetual debt continues to dominate the globe, and reassure FIAT currencies.
Good Luck!

P.S. The Modern Money Mechanics book above is very dry reading.

P.Ss. Shadow divers by Kurson is additionally a engaging read. A WWII german uboat found 60mi off NJ? yep!
Last edited by aspirit on Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~
MJW

Post by MJW »

nisiprius wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:29 pm...the more I read, the more I wonder if he really knew as much as he seemed to know...
I believe this question of Hemingway has been raised on a multitude of subjects.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

nisiprius wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:29 pm I have never managed to read more than about twenty pages of any book by Ernest Hemingway...
I much prefer his short stories. Especially the Nick Adams stories.

I don't think I ever finished a Hemingway novel.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 »

Investment Strategies for the 21st century, by Frank Armstrong

A practical guide about investing for retail investors, even though a little dated. Very similar to books by Bogle, but provides a separate viewpoint. Available for free on the official website (frugal me!).
jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu »

Starting in again (third time) on the border trilogy by Cormac McCarthy. So, so good.
Blues

Post by Blues »

jacoavlu wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:37 pm Starting in again (third time) on the border trilogy by Cormac McCarthy. So, so good.
One of my all-time favorites. :beer
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

"Space Odyssey: The Making Of A Masterpiece" by Michael Benson (Simon and Schuster, 2018).

A recipe for a unforgettable and ground-breaking science fiction movie: Take two well-respected and famous visionaries, one in cinema (Stanley Kubrick) and one in science fiction (Arthur C. Clarke). Mix well until they enthusiastically agree that they want to make such a movie. Add in several aeronautical engineers - actual rocket scientists - who had worked for NASA. Sprinkle in a handful of cinema special effects experts like, for example, Douglas Trumbull. For a topping, layer with about twenty extraordinarily body-flexible actors with superb mime skills who can realistically portray prehuman apes. Simmer on medium heat for about 4 years and voila! - you have created "2001: A Space Odyssey".

I know there are people who hate this movie or think that it has been very overrated. I do not fall into their category. I believe it is one of the greatest movies ever produced, period. If you are like me, and need to understand in excruciating detail from start to finish how this movie was made, you now have your assignment (Nota bene - this book certainly changed my opinion about Kubrick. I once thought he was just a competent movie producer whose reputation was overblown due to the usual excessive Hollywood hyperbole. I now have the most sincere admiration for the man and his works, equivalent to that which I hold for Clarke).
Illegitimi non carborundum.
Riprap

Post by Riprap »

"The Bonanza King: John Mackay and the Battle over the Greatest Riches in the American West" by Gregory Crouch

Fascinating history of the Comstock Lode and the path leading to one of the largest fortunes in American history. John Mackay displays a lot of Boglehead qualities. A fantastic rags to riches story.

https://www.amazon.com/Bonanza-King-Mac ... nanza+king
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

Things to Make and Do in the Fourth Dimension by Matt Parker. A recreational mathematics book in the spirit of Martin Gardner. The title is a bit of a bait-and-switch--only two chapters or so are on the fourth dimension--but the book is a very enjoyable tour of mathematics. He covers the Platonic solids, different numbering systems, graph theory, knot theory, prime numbers, etc. It includes a section on the unsettling proof that the sum of the natural numbers is -1/12.
Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian »

Last several:

American Serengeti / by Dan Flores (an environmental historian) - focus is on the southern great plains natural grassland ecology and rewilding potential. Interesting as most attention is on northern not southern plains also because he approaches from standpoint of academic historian not ecologist or environmental journalist (read for example his discussion of 19th century wild horse trade which he says is poorly understood due to lack of primary source material but by inference nearly as important as the fur trade)

Also recommend Coyote America (also by Flores) not only for human/animal relations but recent attempts to sort out genetic history & evolution of wolves and coyotes

American Wolf / by Nate Blakeslee - about Yellowstone wolves and follows one in particular - some of the reviews say this reads like a novel - I think some passages do but not on the whole worthwhile anyway

A fine mess: a global quest for a simpler, fairer, and more efficient tax system / by TR Reid - fast easy to read

Growing a revolution / by David R. Montgomery - advocates changing large scale agriculture by focusing on rebuilding soil ecology through specific farming practices - a bit repetitious but worth while reading --- it would do the urban population good to read about agriculture now & then - interesting how many farmers he interviewed that said even though they benefited from government crop insurance programs they were serious impediments to sustainable practices

The death and life of the great lakes / by Dan Egan - This has received a lot of press and for good reason - more than any other book on this list it changed my perception of the topic

As you can tell I read almost exclusively non fiction but every now & then a fiction title
I just had to read this collection of short stories:

Ladies of the night / by Maggie McNeill - Better than I thought it would be and actually pretty interesting in parts. I will let you read the synopsis and reviews on Amazon & good reads - mind you I am not drawn to the subject nature of the writing but I spent 40 years working as a professional librarian so you will see what I mean.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Year of Decision, 1846, by Bernard DeVoto.

This is a very good narrative history of the expansion of the United States into the West.

A lot occurred in 1846:
1) peaceful settlement of the dispute with the British over the joint occupation of Oregon, settling the disagreement over the boundary between the U.S. and Canada;
2) historian Francis Parkman travels the Northern Plaines to hunt and spend time with the Sioux, and later writes a book The Oregon Trail about his experiences.
3) The Donner party travels from Illinois to California, and starves in the snows of the Sierra Nevada near Truckee Lake.
4) The Mormons flee violent persecution at Nauvoo, Illinois and travel across Iowa Territory to the Missouri River, on the trek that eventually takes them to Utah.
5) the Mexican American War begins with General Zachary Taylor leading in battles along the Rio Grande at Palo Alto and Resaca de la Palma, and Monterrey in Mexico.
6) the Bear Flag revolt in California.
7) Captain John C. Fremont, with a company of about 60 heavily armed veteran mountain men, wanders haphazardly around California trying (and failing) to do something important and heroic. (For his antics Fremont is later courtmartialed and convicted of mutiny, disobedience to the lawful command of a superior officer, and conduct to the prejudice of good order and military discipline, but his sentence of dishonorable discharge from the Army was commuted by President Polk.)
8) the native Californians retake their province for Mexico.
9) Colonel Stephen Watts Kearney travels the Santa Fe Trail leading the 1st U.S. Dragoons, the 1st and 2d Volunteer Missouri Calvalry and the Morman Batallion to "conquer" New Mexico without firing a shot, then crosses the desert to California, retaking California for the U.S.

DeVoto feels that the rapid expansion of the U.S. to continental dimensions meant that our national sin of slavery could no longer be papered over, and would lead to the Civil War 15 years later.

DeVoto is very critical of Fremont.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
MJW

Post by MJW »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:55 pm Year of Decision, 1846, by Bernard DeVoto.

This is a very good narrative history of the expansion of the United States into the West.

A lot occurred in 1846:
Have you read A Country of Vast Designs? It's a biography on Polk that also addresses some of the same events of the time period. I found it interesting how history seems to barely remember Polk yet so many important US historical events occurred during his one term in office.

(I believe Fremont is mentioned in the Polk bio as well, as the synopsis you gave sounds familiar..)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NYnative

Post by NYnative »

What's a "book?" :oops: 8-)
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

This past weekend I read two short books--one disappointing, one enjoyable. Disappointing was The Origins of Creativity by Edward O. Wilson: a vague and meandering book that comes nowhere near to addressing the origins of creativity. Enjoyable was The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan: a brisk thriller--arguably the very first thriller. Can be read in one sitting.

Currently reading When Einstein Walked with Godel by Jim Holt. Essays on mathematics, philosophy, and related topics. Highly recommended.
Calli114

Post by Calli114 »

mrsbetsy wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:34 pm
Calli114 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:20 am I bought the paperback Camino Island by John Grisham at the airport.
It's about the theft of priceless F. Scott Fitzgerald manuscripts from the rare books library at Princeton.
It kept me entertained, and I finished it literally about 30 minutes before getting back home - perfect!
Just downloaded this for my kindle. Hoping it will make the 12 hour airplane ride go faster. No pressure though. :D
Haha - did you end up liking it?
Calli114

Post by Calli114 »

It's not new, but I had never heard of it - Crucial Conversations.
Subtitle, "Tools for talking when stakes are high." A friend in the healthcare field gave it to me.

I would describe it as communication tools that can be used for either business or personal matters. I am 40 pages in. If I run into paragraphs that seem like too much psycho babble, I just move on. Generally, it's an easy read.
galectin

Post by galectin »

I just finished Economic Facts and Fallacies by Thomas Sowell.

I highly recommend it. It shows how many of the "facts" you see in the media can be quite misleading. Things can be more complicated than they seem.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Rise and Kill First: The Secret History of Israel's Targeted Assassinations...by Ronen Bergman
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Labors of Hercules, by Agatha Christie.

This book is a collection of 12 short stories which parallel the labors of the Greek Roman hero Hercules.The idea is that Hercule Poirot will before his retirement take on 12 cases that interest him.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Victor Frankl - mans search for meaning. Great book.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

"Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman" by Robert L. O'Connell (Random House, 2014)

In the last twenty years, many books have been written about U.S. Grant. I plan to read Ron Chernow's recent effort by the end of this year. Before that pleasant task, however, I was able to pick up a copy of O'Connell's biography of Sherman. What a fascinating character the man was, and a great general besides! I understand that I am making no friends with any Forum members born below the Mason-Dixon line with that declarative statement. Give this book a chance - read it and if then you still believe that Sherman was nothing more than a marauding sociopath, I will concede that your opinion is forever immutable.
If you put aside all of his well-documented exertions during the Civil War, you will discover that Sherman had a surprising and strong influence on several other famous incidents in American history. If you are truly interested in the latter subject, you should be aware of what those influences were. This book presents two excellent, enlarged photographs of Sherman's physiognomy - especially on the front jacket cover. Look into his eyes and you cannot fail to perceive a burning intensity aligned with an analytical intelligence; this man was much more than just a destructive monster. To be absolutely fair, Sherman was not a War lover. He certainly would have agreed with the Roman proverb: Dulce Bellum Inexpertis ("War is sweet to those who are not acquainted with it").
Illegitimi non carborundum.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ColoradoRick

Post by ColoradoRick »

Non Fiction Lovers:

Charlie Munger The Complete Investor by Then Griffin
12 Rules for Life by Jordon B. Peterson (awesome!)
The Road to Character David Brooks
+1 Man's Search for Meaning Viktor Frankel
nymeria.stark

Post by nymeria.stark »

The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu, translated by Ken Liu. It's harder sci-fi than I usually like, but fascinating. Decided to give it a shot after reading "The Paper Menagerie" by Ken Liu and seeing that he translated this book.

It's profoundly disturbing and interesting--lots of speculation about the ways in which extraterrestrials could attempt to make contact with earth and what it would mean for humanity. Parts of the book read like a nightmare you can't shake (but in a good way).
Just a girl, standing in front of her finances, asking them to make more sense.
PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew »

nymeria.stark wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:42 am The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu, translated by Ken Liu. It's harder sci-fi than I usually like, but fascinating. Decided to give it a shot after reading "The Paper Menagerie" by Ken Liu and seeing that he translated this book.

It's profoundly disturbing and interesting--lots of speculation about the ways in which extraterrestrials could attempt to make contact with earth and what it would mean for humanity. Parts of the book read like a nightmare you can't shake (but in a good way).
The other two books of the trilogy are excellent too; this is perhaps the best sci-fi I’ve read in a decade (and I read a lot of science fiction).

Andy.
Last edited by PhilosophyAndrew on Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I would agree, it's excellent. The trilogy is discussed in this dedicated thread: Good Modern Science Fiction
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Scouting On Two Continents, by Frederick Russell Burnham.

The author was born in Minnesota in 1861, in 1871 his family moved to California where he began to learn frontier skills from cowboys and pioneers, and in the 1880s was in Arizona participating frontier feuds and scouting for the U.S. Army in the Apache Wars. In the 1890s he was in South Africa, scouting for Brittish forces in the Matabele Wars and the Boer War.

This book is his very interesting memoir recounting his life as a cowboy, scout, miner, and prospector. It is well written despite his very limited formal educaution. This is an adventure story.

It gives interesting insights into then prevalent ethnic attitudes which he shared, but also includes some surprising personal views. Despite personally being almost a victim of the Sioux uprising in Minnesota and describing Sioux torture and killing of 300 settlers, he felt that the Sioux were not wholly at fault and reported that the Sioux had suffered repeated depredations at the hands of the whites. Despite his years chasing Apache raiders, and his recounting Apache atrocities, he felt that the Apache had been defrauded and nearly starved by government Indian Agents and had been provoked.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I just finished reading "The Rush: America's Fevered Quest for Fortune, 1848-1853" by Edward Dolnick
In the spring of 1848, rumors began to spread that gold had been discovered in a remote spot in the Sacramento Valley. A year later, newspaper headlines declared "Gold Fever!" as hundreds of thousands of men and women borrowed money, quit their jobs, and allowed themselves- for the first time ever-to imagine a future of ease and splendor. In THE RUSH, Edward Dolnick brilliantly recounts their treacherous westward journeys by wagon and on foot, and takes us to the frenzied gold fields and the rowdy cities that sprang from nothing to jam-packed chaos. With an enthralling cast of characters and scenes of unimaginable wealth and desperate ruin, THE RUSH is a fascinating-and rollicking-account of the greatest treasure hunt the world has ever seen.
I really loved this book because it kept my attention throughout and didn't bore with lots of dry details that don't move the story along. I had a hard time finding a good place to stop and put it down in the evenings. Much of the book follows a half dozen families/people from various parts of the country and economic backgrounds as they made their way out to the gold fields. This is definitely a book I would recommend if you are interesting in learning more about the California gold rush.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Comanches, by T. R. Fehrenbach.

I found this book very interesting.

This book is about the Comanche tribe from its pre-history as a part of the Shoshone in the Rocky Mountains, the transition to use of the horse and hunting bison on the Plains, wars driving Apache and other tribes off the Southern Plains, leading to years of Comanche dominance on the Southern Plains, the trading relationship with New Mexico and the "Comancheros", raiding (horse stealing, killing, taking captives, and atrocities) in Texas and Mexico, fights with Texas Rangers and the U.S. Army, and ending in 1878 with the tribe on the reservation at Fort Sill, Oklahoma.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

"The Redeemers" by Ace Atkins, the 5th book in the Quinn Colson series.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

On the recommendation of a good friend I've started the non-fiction Red Notice by Bill Browder. He's the grandson of the head of the Communist Party of the US in the 30s. Stanford MBA, with subsequent jobs with several Wall Street firms, mostly overseas. Eventually he's running the biggest hedge fund in Russia during the transformation of the economy when a couple of dozen of oligarchs took over that economy.

He's a good writer, but extremely self aggrandizing. According to him he's almost the smartest guy in the room, and makes up for any lack by being gutsy, risk taking and so many other attributes. It's a good read so far.

edit: Dave55 reviewed it earlier.

PPS: Before Red Notice I just finished Daniel Silva's The Other Woman, his 18th novel. Several of his recent books seemed like cut and paste, telling the same story with a new name for the woman and a different country. This one has the usual cast of characters, but has its own plot. It's got the usual Brits, Israelis, Russians and others, even some Americans. It was a good read. I finished it in a day or so.
Fbone

Post by Fbone »

The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde.

Loved the world Fforde created and the whimsical comedy that goes with it. The plot was on the light side without a lot of action. Still, this was typical Fforde where his worlds and citizens are the best part.