What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bertilak

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by bertilak » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:18 pm

bertilak wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:37 pm
bertilak wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:34 pm
bertilak wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:16 pm
I just finished The Hog's Back Mystery (1933) a novel by Freeman Wills Crofts, the 2015 British Library edition (Crime Classics series)
Just finished The Santa Klaus Murders (1936) by Mavis Doriel Hay, also from the British Library of Crime Classics series.
Another from the British Library of Crime Classics series: Thirteen Guests (1936) by J. Jefferson Farjeon. This continues the tradition of English country-house murder mysteries. I enjoyed it.
And yet another from the British Library of Crime Classics series: The Cornish Coast Murder (1935) by John Brude. This is another sub-genre of English Murder Mysteries: rustic as opposed to upper class. This was an enjoyable, atmospheric, read taking place on the stormy Atlantic coast of England.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:53 pm

PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:04 pm
My spouse, a professor of contemporary British literature, says the new Atwood book is fantastic. She also loved Rushdie’s new book.

Both novels are on my reading list.

Andy.
mfswatz9 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:53 pm
I am going to reread "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood before I read the sequel which has just come out. I understand it is a timely subject.
Ask your aunt if she's read The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. My wife is reading for her book club, and said it won the Man Booker award.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:54 pm

Pilgprog wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:26 pm
hilink73 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:37 am
I've just finished "Deep survival - who lives, who dies and why" by Laurence Gonzales.

It's not about "technical" survival skills but much more about the mindset which divides survivors from those who don't make it out alive.
Very interesting, fast read. And not only relatable to outdoor survival situations.
Interesting topic. Consider Ben Sherwood’s “The Survivors Club” - non-fiction study of this published10 or so years ago. Some found tge book excellent, some not so much. But thought provoking - could save your life.
Also, consider "The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes" by Amanda Ripley. I read "Unthinkable" at the same time as I read "Deep Survival" and thought "Unthinkable" was a better book.

SGM

Post by SGM » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:06 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:22 pm
SGM wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:07 pm
I received two books as a surprise gift from a friend who I recently reconnected with via a found unopened letter from 50 years ago. The books are:The Plant Paradox and Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution by Dr. Steven Gundry. I am reading them out of respect for the friendship, but there are a lot of claims that have not met peer review. The language is rather loose for my liking. The author goes against most health diets that are quite popular and they may very well be flawed. Also some of his later recommendations go against the earlier Diet Evolution book. His evidence is mostly anecdotal and not tested against control groups or double blind studies.

I am licensed physician in retirement and I keep up with medical research. This is not the proper forum to discuss health recommendations so I will leave it at that.
Somewhat OT, but I'm fascinated by the "unopened letter from 50 years ago". Is there a bit of a story about finding that, etc.?

:happy

RM
It is a long story, but this letter was sent in 1969 to me care of my cousin. She found it when she was cleaning her mother's house for sale. She didn't open the letter but was tempted. There was a lot of silly speculation about what was in the letter. Was he forwarding a letter from the draft board? Did it contain an expired winning lottery ticket? It was a nice Christmas card. He had just had dinner with my college room mate and his family before he drove up to the Catskill resorts for a temporary job. It was full of 1960s jargon and kind of a Woodstock attitude toward life and studies. He mentions an old girlfriend of mine and advises me to forget about getting my degree. He sends it all in a Christmas card. I think he sent it care of my cousin because he lost my address or maybe because she was a pretty co-ed. He knows her current address, but is not a stalker. I did get my degree and 3 other advanced degrees eventually.

My two buddies and I were a bit of a site on campus being from 3 visibly different ethnic groups. I learned a lot of folksy, ethnic and NYC wisdom from the two and they helped broaden my outlook on life. The letter became a way for all of us to get together over 50 years later. :D

FireHorse

Post by FireHorse » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:31 pm

Just finished reading The Collectors by David Baldacci.

Starting to read the Other Woman by Daniel Silva

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:51 pm

SGM wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:06 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:22 pm
SGM wrote:
I received two books as a surprise gift from a friend who I recently reconnected with via a found unopened letter from 50 years ago. The books are:The Plant Paradox and Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution by Dr. Steven Gundry. I am reading them out of respect for the friendship, but there are a lot of claims that have not met peer review. The language is rather loose for my liking. The author goes against most health diets that are quite popular and they may very well be flawed. Also some of his later recommendations go against the earlier Diet Evolution book. His evidence is mostly anecdotal and not tested against control groups or double blind studies.

I am licensed physician in retirement and I keep up with medical research. This is not the proper forum to discuss health recommendations so I will leave it at that.
Somewhat OT, but I'm fascinated by the "unopened letter from 50 years ago". Is there a bit of a story about finding that, etc.?

:happy

RM
It is a long story, but this letter was sent in 1969 to me care of my cousin. She found it when she was cleaning her mother's house for sale. She didn't open the letter but was tempted. There was a lot of silly speculation about what was in the letter. Was he forwarding a letter from the draft board? Did it contain an expired winning lottery ticket? It was a nice Christmas card. He had just had dinner with my college room mate and his family before he drove up to the Catskill resorts for a temporary job. It was full of 1960s jargon and kind of a Woodstock attitude toward life and studies. He mentions an old girlfriend of mine and advises me to forget about getting my degree. He sends it all in a Christmas card. I think he sent it care of my cousin because he lost my address or maybe because she was a pretty co-ed. He knows her current address, but is not a stalker. I did get my degree and 3 other advanced degrees eventually.

My two buddies and I were a bit of a site on campus being from 3 visibly different ethnic groups. I learned a lot of folksy, ethnic and NYC wisdom from the two and they helped broaden my outlook on life. The letter became a way for all of us to get together over 50 years later. :D
Very nice, especially getting together.

Last fall, I re-connected (in person) with my "BFF" from childhood. We moved away from each other, from "same apartment building", when we were about 8 or 9, but still saw each other until my family moved cross-country when I was 14. We kept in touch a bit until we were early 20's.

That was about a century ago!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:55 pm

I’m positive she has. Each year she reads the entire Bookee long list!

Andy.
Artful Dodger wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:53 pm
PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:04 pm
My spouse, a professor of contemporary British literature, says the new Atwood book is fantastic. She also loved Rushdie’s new book.

Both novels are on my reading list.

Andy.
mfswatz9 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:53 pm
I am going to reread "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood before I read the sequel which has just come out. I understand it is a timely subject.
Ask your aunt if she's read The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. My wife is reading for her book club, and said it won the Man Booker award.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:15 am

The Cotton Kingdom, by Fredrick Law Olmstead.

The author is chiefly famous as a landscape archetect but also had a career in journalism.

In the 1850s he worked as a reporter for the predecessor of the New York Times, and travelled extensively in the South reporting his detailed observations about slavery, it's effects, life in the South, and the Southern economy. His reports were collected and republished in three books including this one.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:44 am

Vineland by Thomas Pynchon.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:19 am

The Handmaid's Tale

Suppose I'm a little late to the party on this, but I saw the sequel is out this month so I thought I'd read the original. It's captivating through the first third so far.

crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:57 pm

novemberrain wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:04 am
3. Never split the difference
I tried reading this book and it gotten rave reviews and is recommended by many people I know. But I could barely read it halfway and decided to shelve it after that. The writing style feels very high octane and the book just tries too hard IMHO. Maybe I'm just not cut out for those extreme no holds barred negotiations..

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:20 am

I just finished the 2nd book in the Dublin Murder Squad series, "The Likeness" by Tana French. I liked it more than the first book of the series, "In The Woods". It was a fabulous read, and a riveting page turner. I just began the 3rd in the series, "Faithful Place".

Dave

novemberrain

Post by novemberrain » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:18 am

crystalbank wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:57 pm
I tried reading this book and it gotten rave reviews and is recommended by many people I know. But I could barely read it halfway and decided to shelve it after that. The writing style feels very high octane and the book just tries too hard IMHO. Maybe I'm just not cut out for those extreme no holds barred negotiations..
The second half of the book has some more practical scenarios actually . Like for example negotiating on a home price while buying / selling a home.

crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:42 am

novemberrain wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:18 am
crystalbank wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:57 pm
The second half of the book has some more practical scenarios actually . Like for example negotiating on a home price while buying / selling a home.
Oh good to know! I might have to revisit it then. Glad the book eventually drifted away from hostage kidnapping negotiations to day to day practical scenarios.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:06 pm

bertilak wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:18 pm
bertilak wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:37 pm
bertilak wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:34 pm
bertilak wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:16 pm
I just finished The Hog's Back Mystery (1933) a novel by Freeman Wills Crofts, the 2015 British Library edition (Crime Classics series)
Just finished The Santa Klaus Murders (1936) by Mavis Doriel Hay, also from the British Library of Crime Classics series.
Another from the British Library of Crime Classics series: Thirteen Guests (1936) by J. Jefferson Farjeon. This continues the tradition of English country-house murder mysteries. I enjoyed it.
And yet another from the British Library of Crime Classics series: The Cornish Coast Murder (1935) by John Brude. This is another sub-genre of English Murder Mysteries: rustic as opposed to upper class. This was an enjoyable, atmospheric, read taking place on the stormy Atlantic coast of England.
And now a locked room mystery in a Scottish Highlands castle inhabited by superstitious people with various personality defects: The Death of a Lady (1931) by Anthony Wynne, once again, a British Library of Crime Classics selection.

Our hero-sleuth is a doctor who has to sort things out when the official police inspectors (two of them, back to back) fail to solve the mystery which is compounded by further "impossible" murders. Although the ultimate explanation of the mystery involves clever interpretation of the clues, it is mostly solved by understanding the psychology and history of the people involved.

All of the above are swimming in period atmosphere, almost Gothic.

I am out of these for now but there are dozens in this series available at Amazon so perhaps I will restock my shelves with more. For now I think I need a break!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:43 pm

Dave55 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:20 am
I just finished the 2nd book in the Dublin Murder Squad series, "The Likeness" by Tana French. I liked it more than the first book of the series, "In The Woods". It was a fabulous read, and a riveting page turner. I just began the 3rd in the series, "Faithful Place".

Dave
I have read them all. IMO, Faithful Place was the best of the entire series. The others are very good but this one is the best.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:45 pm

Finished The Overstory. Also whipped through The Middleman (Steinhauer) in about a day. Now reading The Butcher's Boy (Perry).
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:18 pm

jebmke wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:43 pm
Dave55 wrote:

Dave
I have read them all. IMO, Faithful Place was the best of the entire series. The others are very good but this one is the best.
Thanks!

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:14 pm

The Case Against Reality: Why Evolution Hid the Truth from Our Eyes by Donald Hoffman.

A professor of cognitive science examines the classic philosophical chestnut of how the universe as perceived by our senses does not resemble the universe "as it really is." He argues that this is because our sensory apparatus evolved for survival, not truth. He uses the metaphor of a computer monitor, which allows us to effectively interact with the hard drive, even though the icons on the screen bear no resemblance to the tiny specks of voltage and magnetism that actually exist in the computer circuitry.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:25 pm

SGM wrote:

I'm a research scientist in the health/nutrition field. Read the "The Plant Paradox" about a year ago; what a joke.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:36 am

jebmke wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:45 pm
Finished The Overstory. Also whipped through The Middleman (Steinhauer) in about a day. Now reading The Butcher's Boy (Perry).
How was The Overstory? I've hesitated (for no good reason) to read it.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:34 am

mak1277 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:36 am
jebmke wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:45 pm
How was The Overstory? I've hesitated (for no good reason) to read it.
I thought it was very good. The reviews were gushing and I think it won a Pulitzer but I found the prose a little over-wrought in places. It had an interesting weave of story and science. The format also takes a bit of concentration. At first you think you are reading a collection of short stories. But I do think it is worth the time to read.

SGM

Post by SGM » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:45 am

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:25 pm
SGM wrote:

I'm a research scientist in the health/nutrition field. Read the "The Plant Paradox" about a year ago; what a joke.
I agree with you although I am not an expert in nutrition. This old friend of mine is into a lot of mystical sort of things. He has been sending me any interesting readings he has found. I try to gently redirect him to medical and psychological science without upsetting him.

In keeping up with my CME to maintain my license, I have read a lot of peer reviewed research that has argued against certain foods. I would love to see research that argues for or against specific recommendations in the book. I no longer practice, but keep my license up to date. I enjoy going to Grand Rounds at the local hospital twice monthly. I go to listen to experts and to keep up relationships with former colleagues.
Thanks for your input.

startwithtruth

Post by startwithtruth » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:55 pm

Dave55 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:18 pm
jebmke wrote:
Dave55 wrote:

Dave
I'm loving the Dublin Murder Squad Series - I like how each book has a different detective as the narrator. I'm halfway through The Secret Place (#5) which brings back characters from Faithful Place. Tana French is a heck of a plotter.

Blues

Post by Blues » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:02 pm

Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America by Jane Leovy.

"NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • NAMED ONE OF THE TEN BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE, USA TODAY, AND CHICAGO TRIBUNE • A masterly work of literary journalism about a senseless murder, a relentless detective, and the great plague of homicide in America

NATIONAL BOOK CRITICS CIRCLE AWARD FINALIST • NAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY The New York Times Book Review • The Washington Post • The Boston Globe • The Economist • The Globe and Mail • BookPage • Kirkus Reviews"
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:42 pm

The Chronicles of Chrestomanci - Volume I by Diana Wynne Jones

It's just ok so far but I'm not sure I'll continue after this volume.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:19 pm

I just finished How Much Can I Spend in Retirement?: A Guide to Investment-Based Retirement Income Strategies, by Wade Pfau.

The book is full of useful information. Recommended.

moshe

Post by moshe » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:44 pm

The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Although the inevitable downfall of the main characters is predictable (see the title!) the story is presented with such power, depth, rich prose, and grace as to be compelling from beginning to end.

~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:07 am

D-Day, by Stephen E. Ambrose.

This is a very readable, comprehensive history about the first day of the invasion of Normandy during World War II. The bravery and dedication of the soldiers and sailors involved was amazing in my opinion.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

JPM

Post by JPM » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:46 am

Blood Pure and Eloquent by Max Wintrobe. Twentieth Century history of the development of hematology and early work on cancer chemotherapy. Excellent read and gives a clear idea of the worldwide scope and time dimension of the medical research enterprise for those with any interest in the subject. Reading off the page as there is no audio of something like this. Max Wintrobe and Bill Dameshek were rivals for the crown of the King of Hematology. They collaborated during WW2 on work on defenses against chemical weapons and that work led them to suspect that mustard, in nonlethal doses, might be an effective treatment for leukemia and began work on that after their wartime collaboration. This was the birth of cancer chemotherapy in the modern age.

On audio "Means of Ascent" by Robert Caro, twentieth century political history dealing with Lyndon Johnson's formative period in childhood and his early development in politics. It's 40 hours long and probably too detailed to read off the page. There are 2 more 40 hour long volumes in Caro's Johnson bio. If you have a young relative interested in a life in politics this first volume would be a great gift. Shows how politics really works, the good the bad and the ugly, not the fifth grade civics class version.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:02 am

"Moby Dick"

Maybe this is more of a commentary on my personality than the author/book, but I find it thoroughly entertaining and even funny in places. I've got 31 chapters to go.
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:08 am

Helter Skelter - Watching "Mindhunter" on Netflix inspired me to read this book that's been sitting on my bookshelf for at least a half dozen years. Long, detailed, shocking, but really good.

Also just finished The Handmaid's Tale, which I thought was fantastic (I typed "which I really enjoyed" and realized that's not exactly the right way to say how I felt!).

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:35 pm

jebmke wrote:
Dave55 wrote:

Dave
jebmke, I LOVED "Faithful Place", I did enjoy it more than "Witch Elm", "In the Woods" and "The Likeness".

I am now reading "The Bitterest Pill" by Reed Farrel Coleman, his 6th Jesse Stone mystery. (series by Robert B. Parker & then Reed Farrel Coleman )

Dave

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:21 pm

jginseattle wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:19 pm
I just finished How Much Can I Spend in Retirement?: A Guide to Investment-Based Retirement Income Strategies, by Wade Pfau.

The book is full of useful information. Recommended.
Yes. Sir.

Read it twice this year. He has a new book coming- due Oct1?
Funding secured

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:51 pm

"Cicero: The Life And Times Of Rome's Greatest Politician", by Anthony Everitt (Random House NY 2001)

Marcus Tullius Cicero is widely considered to be one of the greatest orators of ancient times. We should also be glad that he was a compulsive writer of expository missives, especially to his brother Quintus and his best friend Atticus. From these letters, we have learned the intimate history of a critical period of the Roman empire. Recognize these names?: Pompey, Crassus, (Julius) Caesar, Cato The Younger, Cassius, Brutus, Marc Antony, and (Augustus) Caesar. Cicero knew them all very well and wrote about them extensively. Everitt lays out a detailed description of Cicero's life and his intense interactions with all of the aforementioned power brokers. If you are totally unfamiliar with Roman history, "Cicero" is an excellent place to start. Everitt also wrote a 2006 biography of the formidable Augustus, which I will be searching out in my next library visit.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:55 pm

Just finished The Butcher's Boy by Thomas Perry and Deadline by John Sandford. Deadline is a Virgil Flowers book - you can whip through it in a day.

Now on Sleeping Dogs (Part 2 of the Butcher's Boy trilogy by Perry).

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:01 am

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:25 pm
SGM wrote:

Thank you. My take on Gundry is that he is a quack. Too many infomercials on the internet.

Oops, I see Gundry wrote the Plant Paradox!

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:17 pm

Just finished Moonfleet (1898) by John Meade Falkner.

Set in the year 1757 and following, Moonfleet is a "boys' adventure story" that, I'm sure, Robert Louis Stevenson would have been proud to have written. It is about the adventures of a 15 year old boy from a small village on the southern coast of England who gets involved in the local smuggling culture. There are hidden treasures, a spooky burial vault beneath a church, sea-cliff caves, storms, shipwrecks, escapes from persurers, a love interest with a troublesome father. (ala Becky Thatcher and Tom Sawyer?)

Like Stevenson's books this is a children's classic well-suited for adults. The author is classically educated (learned Latin and Greek as a child), well-travelled, and has many real-life experiences to draw on. He was a teacher, an armaments manufacturer and a wealthy businessman. The writing is far from juvenile.

I highly recommend it as much as I would Treasure Island.
Last edited by bertilak on Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:03 am

hi all, hopefully i can request recommendations here.

looking for a non-fiction book that deals with the NYC scene of the 60's, 70's and/or 80's. perhaps having to deal with the punk scene, musicians, artists, Andy Warhol, the Hotel Chelsea, Basquiat, Haring, street art, etc.

thanks!

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:29 pm

Bob Sacamano wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:03 am

looking for a non-fiction book that deals with the NYC scene of the 60's, 70's and/or 80's. perhaps having to deal with the punk scene, musicians, artists, Andy Warhol, the Hotel Chelsea, Basquiat, Haring, street art, etc.

thanks!
Twentieth-Century Boy: Notebooks of the Seventies, by Duncan Hannah.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:40 pm

The Knight In The Panther Skin (12th century epic poem by by Shota Rustaveli), Lyn Coffin's 2015 Translation.

I read an earlier prose translation by Katherine Vivian and poked my nose into a couple of other translations. Vivian's translation is quite good and readable. I was transported into a different, wonderful, time and place. It was my favorite version at the time.

Coffin's translation is masterful as I can see from just the first few pages. It is poetic and keeps the same meter and rhyming scheme of the original Georgian. I usually don't post here until I have finished a book but this one should be brought to Boglehead book-lovers attentions without delay.

The poem is long, about 6400 lines, The story covers two quests, one for the knight himself (Tariel) and the other for Tariel's love interest (Nestan). The main character, who conducts the searches, is named Avtandil. There are many subplots.

The poem is a defining characteristic of Georgian culture, much like Shakespeare is for western civilization.

It takes some commitment to dive into a 6400-line epic poem but I say it is worth budgeting time for it. I am just embarking on my second journey. It looks like the scenery may be even more inspiring this time.
Last edited by bertilak on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

NYCguy

Post by NYCguy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:17 pm

Bob Sacamano wrote:

thanks!
Boy did I just finish reading the book for you. It is called “The Most Spectacular Restaurant in the World“ by Tom Roston.

I think it is a must read for anyone who likes New York City history, or enjoyed fine dining in New York from the 1960s through today. The book does an excellent job chronicling the history of the city during that time. It reads a bit like Robert Caro, rich with detail.

I love the book. Highly recommend.

If you haven’t read Robert Caro’s The Power Broker, that also is a must read if you’re interested in New York history.
If your out-go is greater than your income, your upkeep will be your DOWNFALL.

BabyRN

Post by BabyRN » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:15 pm

Bottle of Lies-The Inside Story of the Generic Drug Boom-Katherine Eban
Couldn't put it down.Highly,highly recommended.

maxthepug

Post by maxthepug » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:41 am

Bob Sacamano wrote:

thanks!
Just finished reading 'Dylan & Me' by Louie Kemp. Very enjoyable and funny. Deals with several of your topics.

jay22

Post by jay22 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:57 pm

The Four: The Hidden DNA of Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google by Scott Galloway.

If you are interested in technology and how tech companies work/operate, this is a must read. I couldn't put it down.

telemark

Post by telemark » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:14 am

Lolly Willowes, or The Loving Huntsman by Sylvia Townsend Warner

This was brought to my attention as a creepy British novel and it is certainly British. Otherwise, it reminds me more of Shirley Jackson, in that the various supernatural goings-on are mostly a distraction from the real horror, which is the things people do to one another, often without quite being aware of it.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't put your money in the Ethiopian Development Syndicate.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:21 am

ruralavalon wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:20 am
brokendirtdart wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:55 am
ruralavalon wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:02 am
Pegasus Bridge, by Stephen E. Ambrose.

This is about one reinforced Company of glider troops of the British 6th Airborne Division on D-Day. The first Allied troops to land in Normandy, on the night of June 5-6, 1944 they captured bridges over the Orne River and Canal intact, preventing counterattacks on the beaches by German armored divisions.

This is an amazing story.
I enjoyed it.
While a few of Ambrose's books did not really excite me, I enjoyed D-Day and Undaunted Courage by him. Undaunted Courage covers the Lewis and Clark expedition.
I enjoyed Undaunted Courage, and have D-Day in my Kindle to read soon.
I agree----excellent recommendations. I would add another Ambrose book for consideration: "Nothing Like it in the World: The Men Who Build the Transcontinental Railroad 1963 - 1869." Just as the Civil War tied the country together North & South, it was the coming of the transcontinental railroad which tied the country together East & West.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:30 am

As we approach another anniversary of the British surrender at the Battle of Yorktown (Oct. 1781) it is only appropriate that I read After Yorktown: The Final Struggle for American Independence by Don Glickstein. While Yorktown was without doubt pivotal and the last major land battle between the British and the Continental Army, it was by no means the last land battle (more Americans died in combat on land after Yorktown than at Yorktown) and at sea literally thousands of our French allies died until there was an end to what evolved into a world wide war.

Glickstein takes on the myth that after Yorktown folks were just sitting around waiting for a final treaty to be signed. Some might find it tedious, a bit pedantic, but its an important work.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:10 am

Sconie wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:21 am
ruralavalon wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:20 am
brokendirtdart wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:55 am
ruralavalon wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:02 am
Pegasus Bridge, by Stephen E. Ambrose.

This is about one reinforced Company of glider troops of the British 6th Airborne Division on D-Day. The first Allied troops to land in Normandy, on the night of June 5-6, 1944 they captured bridges over the Orne River and Canal intact, preventing counterattacks on the beaches by German armored divisions.

This is an amazing story.
I enjoyed it.
While a few of Ambrose's books did not really excite me, I enjoyed D-Day and Undaunted Courage by him. Undaunted Courage covers the Lewis and Clark expedition.
I enjoyed Undaunted Courage, and have D-Day in my Kindle to read soon.
I agree----excellent recommendations. I would add another Ambrose book for consideration: "Nothing Like it in the World: The Men Who Build the Transcontinental Railroad 1963 - 1869." Just as the Civil War tied the country together North & South, it was the coming of the transcontinental railroad which tied the country together East & West.
I agree, Nothing Like it in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad 1963 - 1869" is excellent and very interesting.

JBeck

Post by JBeck » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:31 am

About to start a Gentleman in Moscow