What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nicolas

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by Nicolas »

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Dispatches from Pluto: Lost and Found in the Mississippi Delta by Richard Grant
Richard Grant and his girlfriend were living in a shoebox apartment in New York City when they decided on a whim to buy an old plantation house in the Mississippi Delta. Dispatches from Pluto is their journey of discovery into this strange and wonderful American place. Imagine A Year In Provence with alligators and assassins, or Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil with hunting scenes and swamp-to-table dining.

On a remote, isolated strip of land, three miles beyond the tiny community of Pluto, Richard and his girlfriend, Mariah, embark on a new life. They learn to hunt, grow their own food, and fend off alligators, snakes, and varmints galore. They befriend an array of unforgettable local characters—blues legend T-Model Ford, cookbook maven Martha Foose, catfish farmers, eccentric millionaires, and the actor Morgan Freeman. Grant brings an adept, empathetic eye to the fascinating people he meets, capturing the rich, extraordinary culture of the Delta, while tracking its utterly bizarre and criminal extremes. Reporting from all angles as only an outsider can, Grant also delves deeply into the Delta’s lingering racial tensions. He finds that de facto segregation continues. Yet even as he observes major structural problems, he encounters many close, loving, and interdependent relationships between black and white families—and good reasons for hope.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Just finished two wonderful autobiographies, both depicting lives alien to mine. The first was Redefining Realness, My Path to Womanhood, by Janet Mock. I had never heard of the author until read a recent article in NYT which piqued my interest. A heartwarming true story of a young, multiracial, poor and trans in America who undergoes sex change operation and achieves success in NYC. For a white heterosexual guy from small town Midwest it was way beyond my experience but found story more than compelling and applaud her ability to overcome adversity, I am now a Janet Mock fan. Second was written 175 years earlier but just recently translated into English, Memoirs From Beyond The Grave 1768-1800 by Francois Rene De Chateaubriand. A French aristocrat who was same age as Napoleon and who hunted with the French King Louis XVI several years before he lost his head (the author detested Versailles and the French royal scene) and who escaped the revolution by traveling to America in 1791 where he allegedly met George Washington and extensively toured the new country, and who was a penniless exile in England for many years before returning to France. The author later in life during French Restoration was French ambassador to Great Britain, he would let his London embassy staff go home early and would wander anonymously among the slums of east London where he had spent many penniless years and reminisced about his wonderful friends and experiences from that time, much preferred to the scheduled receptions where he was guest of honor of British Royalty. Fascinating man with almost modern perceptions who would not allow his memoirs to be published before his death. And yes, the steak was named for him. If I could time travel and meet authors would like to invite Chateaubriand and Janet Mock to dinner party, am sure they would enjoy each other’s company. As I did. Highly recommend.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

Red Moon Rising by Matthew Brzezinski. The story of Sergi Korolev and the Soviet Union's rocket programme and the ICBM and space race. Very good.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
jdb

Post by jdb »

AIQ by Nick Polson and James Scott. Latest book about artificial intelligence. The authors are professors who teach the mathematics and theories underlying AI and the book is essentially an adult education survey course in the mathematical theories and algorithms of AI together with history and applications and possible future uses. What I found most interesting was the myriad applications to everyday life, including financial investments. Who knew that Jack Bogle was applying Bayesian mathematical theory, one of most important theories behind AI, when he invented index investing. According to the authors the lesson of Bayes’s rule is don’t even bother trying to find a talented fund manager or advisor, “You’d almost surely be better off investing in a broad index of stocks and bonds rather than trying to pick winners.” I enjoyed the adult education course.
SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler »

Fallible wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:27 pm Just finished Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou, a WSJ investigative reporter who previously wrote a series of articles about the health care startup, Theranos, and its young founder and CEO Elizabeth Holmes. It’s about Holmes and the Valley, but also about those who believed in and enabled her (board members included former secretaries of state and an Army general), and it’s about the courage of those Theranos employees and others who spoke up to make possible the WSJ articles that have led to SEC charges and lawsuits. I couldn’t put it down and was thankful it finally ended.
I plan on bringing this with me on vacation. You last sentence confused me, but I'm assuming it was a good read since you couldn't put it down but did you enjoy it?
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

SagaciousTraveler wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:12 am
Fallible wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:27 pm Just finished Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou, a WSJ investigative reporter who previously wrote a series of articles about the health care startup, Theranos, and its young founder and CEO Elizabeth Holmes. It’s about Holmes and the Valley, but also about those who believed in and enabled her (board members included former secretaries of state and an Army general), and it’s about the courage of those Theranos employees and others who spoke up to make possible the WSJ articles that have led to SEC charges and lawsuits. I couldn’t put it down and was thankful it finally ended.
I plan on bringing this with me on vacation. You last sentence confused me, but I'm assuming it was a good read since you couldn't put it down but did you enjoy it?
Yes, I definitely enjoyed the book and recommend it. I meant the last sentence to be positive, but I see now how it's confusing. I was glad it ended only because I had another book that had finally come in from the library and I was eager to read it but couldn't put this one down.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler »

Fallible wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:01 am Yes, I definitely enjoyed the book and recommend it. I meant the last sentence to be positive, but I see now how it's confusing. I was glad it ended only because I had another book that had finally come in from the library and I was eager to read it but couldn't put this one down.
Ah, thank you for clarifying. I very much understand the good ole 'readers anxiety' when you know you have a good book waiting in the wings.
FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish »

The Beer Bible by Jeff Alworth is teaching me a greater appreciation for a product I enjoy. The book discusses how beer is made, the history and characteristics of different styles, and how to taste beer to pick up the nuanced flavors. It's fascinating learning how cultural and legal nuances explain why German beers are lagers whereas English beers are ales. The book is long but very skim-able. My Kindle does an injustice to the graphics, so I recommend a physical copy as well.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Indian War of 1864, by Eugene Ware.

This book was first published in 1911. The author fought in the Civil War in Missouri and Arkansas, and then was a Lieutenant with the 7th Iowa Calvary, serving on the frontier in the period September 1863 to April 1865. His company was stationed near Julesburg, Colorado Territory.

The book is interesting for his vivid descriptions of people, soldiering, ranches, wagon trains, and life on the Northern Plains along the Platte River in that time.

Describing Omaha, Nebraska Territory "a straggling town scattered all over the second bottom of the river, the mud in places very deep, and adhesive . . ." " Fights were constantly in progress, and somebody was being killed every day." " As a matter of fact, the city was full of deserters from the Confederate army . . . "

Describing his company "A company of volunteer soldiers will grow clannish and inclined to hang together for good or evil, and to see how far they can disobey the military law . . ." "The troubles we had with the men came largely from whiskey." " Every man in the company could sign his name, and the large majority of them could write well."

Describing stagecoach drivers "The drivers sat up in the box, proud as brigadier-generals, and they were as tough, hardy and brave a lot of people as could be found anywhere." "He was a tall, raw-boned, dangerous-looking man, wearing a mustache and goatee . . . . He was said to be a killer . . ." " . . . the whole dinner was a loud and uproarious occasion, and the profanity was pyrotechnic."

Describing barracks life "every stage that went by threw us a bundle of newspapers, and in the evenings in the barracks after supper men were reading the war news." " . . . the greatest amusement was the man Cannon [who had been regular Army serving throughout the Southwest before the war, he was] the most talented and monumental liar that had ever been in the government service. His stories were inexhaustible." "For a patient, interesting and versatile prevaricator I have never seen his equal".

Describing Jim Bridger "Of all these guides, Jim Bridger was the most interesting". "Every night he was out in front of the subtler store on the benches, and telling stories of his adventures."

Describing the weather "a storm of unexamined severity came with a hurricane from the northwest, and lasted for three days. We could not get outside the post." "Riding against the wind was very unpleasant, all of us had our heads muffled up in the capes of our overcoats, and we kept our roadway by peering through openings in the folds of our capes. As we were riding against the wind we would look out through our capes with one eye. In a little while the tears of that eye would be frozen up, and vision entirely obscured; then we would shift our capes to the other eye . . ."
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
TheRightKost87

Post by TheRightKost87 »

FeesR-BullNotBullish wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:53 am The Beer Bible by Jeff Alworth is teaching me a greater appreciation for a product I enjoy. The book discusses how beer is made, the history and characteristics of different styles, and how to taste beer to pick up the nuanced flavors. It's fascinating learning how cultural and legal nuances explain why German beers are lagers whereas English beers are ales. The book is long but very skim-able. My Kindle does an injustice to the graphics, so I recommend a physical copy as well.
This sounded interesting and the reviews on it were pretty good, so I just ordered a physical copy, thanks for the recommendation :beer
"The problem with diversification is that it works, whether or not we want it to"
PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew »

Stalin: New Biography of a Dictator by Oleg Khlevniuk.

My current non-fiction reading interest is the history of the Soviet Union. I’m working backwards in time, after first having read William Taubman’s excellent biographies of Gorbachev and Krushchev.

Andy.
BenBritt

Post by BenBritt »

The Great Gatsby--every year and Bobby Kennedy by Chris Matthews.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Now reading "The Ranger" by Ace Atkins, and I am really enjoying it.

Just finished "The Quiet Game" by Greg Isles - excellent read.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
market timer

Post by market timer »

Bad Blood, by John Carreyrou

The rise and fall of Theranos, written by the WSJ investigative journalist who helped expose the scam.
aspirit

Post by aspirit »

A history book of the USA. This book is titled "Willards School History of the USA" . Written by Emma Willard in 1871 right after the civil war. This account was written by a female in 1871 & its history is quite different than todays public school history books in the USA. This book is almost 150 yrs old.

I'd also suggest "Morgenthal & Co" by Barrie Wigmore.
The story of an important investment bank (1972-2010). (imo) Reads like an in depth Goldman/Lehman' docu-drama/mini-series.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

aspirit wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:42 am A history book of the USA. This book is titled "Willards School History of the USA" . Written by Emma Willard in 1871 right after the civil war. This account was written by a female in 1871 & its history is quite different than todays public school history books in the USA. This book is almost 150 yrs old.

I'd also suggest "Morgenthal & Co" by Barrie Wigmore.
The story of an important investment bank (1972-2010). (imo) Reads like an in depth Goldman/Lehman' docu-drama/mini-series.
I read and liked the Morgenthal book very much. It is a fascinating mix of human interest and inner workings of investment banking. Another aspect that held my interest was the long time-span it covered. It would make a great mini-series.

P.S. This is one of the few books I enjoyed on a Kindle.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
market timer

Post by market timer »

market timer wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:50 am Bad Blood, by John Carreyrou

The rise and fall of Theranos, written by the WSJ investigative journalist who helped expose the scam.
Half-way through this and it is engrossing with some really colorful characters. I now see Adam McKay, who directed the Big Short, will direct a film based on this book starring Jennifer Lawrence. I think it could be even better than the Big Short. There is certainly way more comedic potential.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

market timer wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:28 am
market timer wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:50 am Bad Blood, by John Carreyrou

Half-way through this and it is engrossing with some really colorful characters. I now see Adam McKay, who directed the Big Short, will direct a film based on this book starring Jennifer Lawrence. I think it could be even better than the Big Short. There is certainly way more comedic potential.
This is on my list. Media seems to focus a lot on Holmes and not much on the Board of Directors. Are the board members getting any attention in the book?
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
market timer

Post by market timer »

jebmke wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:34 amThis is on my list. Media seems to focus a lot on Holmes and not much on the Board of Directors. Are the board members getting any attention in the book?
Yes, the book is not just about Holmes. It covers everyone who failed to do their due diligence.
paramedic

Post by paramedic »

Case against Sugar, by Gary Taubes.

It's quite good, and it's making me re-evaluate my food intake.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

AIQ, by Polson and Scott

I'm just a bit more than half-way through it. Some of the AI background/explanations might not be "new" to some here, but it's written in a way that doesn't feel dumbed down at all.

The writing is very clever, and DH (knowing the topic of the book) has several times looked at me quizzically when I start chuckling at some clever phrasing.

I just finished a section about Grace Hopper, with more background about her than I had known before. Very interesting.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
paramedic

Post by paramedic »

letsgobobby wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:47 pm
paramedic wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:33 pm Case against Sugar, by Gary Taubes.

It's quite good, and it's making me re-evaluate my food intake.
I liked it and appreciated the anthropological/sociological perspective a great deal. The direct connection with the tobacco industry were a revelation.
Definitely! I had not realized the tobacco connection, nor some of the sugar industry tactics (e.g. apparently playing a part in delaying publication of a study with unfavorable results by 17 years).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Before this goes any further, please don't use a book review as a pretense to discuss medical issues.

Further discussion of the book's content is off-topic (other than liking / disliking it with no details provided).

Update: See next post.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:26 pm Before this goes any further, please don't use a book review as a pretense to discuss medical issues.
Or political issues.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
BenBritt

Post by BenBritt »

Starting The President is Missing by Bill Clinton and James Patterson.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I reread this evening Jack Bogles' The Little Book of Common Sense Investing. Giving to a friend that often asks investment advice of me.
Last edited by Artful Dodger on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

The Bang-Bang Club: Snapshots From a Hidden War Paperback by Greg Marinovich
A gripping story of four remarkable young men—photographers, friends and rivals—who band together for protection in the final, violent days of white rule in South Africa.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

BenBritt wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:23 pm Starting The President is Missing by Bill Clinton and James Patterson.
I'm just finishing it. It's a very good read. Scary if you dwell upon the premise behind the action. There are several tedious multi-paragraph expositions of political machinations that, IMO, add nothing to the story, but are easily skipped. Overall its a very good novel, but that's to be expected of James Patterson. He and Bill may have a franchise starting?
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

I just finished the 2nd book in the Quinn Colson series by Ace Atkins, "The Lost Ones".

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
DecumulatorDoc

Post by DecumulatorDoc »

The Fund, by Wes DeMott. Not widely known, but skilled writer. Excellent read.
https://sites.google.com/site/wesdemott/
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Was in Barnes & Noble yesterday just browsing and picked up Factfulness by Hans Rosling. Just started, but very interesting, and I'm enjoying. From the cover - Ten reasons we're wrong about the world - and why things are better than we think.

Just finished Promise Me Dad by Joe Biden, a memoir of his time in office and his oldest son's cancer and death. I found it interesting and moving. He seems like a decent guy.

Just finished listening to Between the World and Me by Ta Nehisi Coates on Audible. Two letters from a black man to his son about being black in America, his history and challenges. Short, a four hour listen. Recommended.
blmarsha123

Post by blmarsha123 »

The Terror by Dan Simmons. Historical fiction based on the 1845 Franklin Expedition to search for the Northwest Passage.

Checked out of the local library after watching several episodes of the recent AMC original series of the same name. The series was surprisingly close to the book with one major gotcha.

Amazing how prepared and yet ill prepared the Expedition was said to be. Five years of provisions, but terrible conditions aboard the trapped vessels -- the constant cold with clothing and outerwear and even heavy tents unsuited to the conditions while (somewhere) around them, the Esquimaux are in relative comfort in snow houses and caribou tents with (furs and skins) clothing much warmer, lighter and more weatherproof than anything that the English have. But what was also amazing was the resilience and just plain dedication (at least for a long while) of the officers and crew. I mean, to climb masts and chop off ice or simply stand watch in 50 below (or more) temperatures makes me shiver (and it's 98 above here).

As the first reader (posted here a year or so ago) mentioned, the book is made up of chapters "written" by the various Expedition leaders and key players. Lots of detail and different perspectives. Also mentioned here maybe a couple of years ago, is a (non-fiction) book about the various attempted rescues and searches for the lost ships.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

After watching the excellent Steven Spielberg film, The Post, some months ago, I got curious about how close it played to the real events. So I re-read Katharine Graham's book, Personal History, and then the Pentagon Papers section in the book, Ben Bradlee: A Good Life, and thought it was close enough. I also for the first time realized what an extraordinary man Graham's father was (on Wall Street, the Federal Reserve, first president of the World Bank, newspaper publisher, etc.). So I'm now reading his 1974 biography, Eugene Meyer, by Merlo J. Pusey, and enjoying it so far.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
patrick013

Post by patrick013 »

Picked up a copy of Personal Financial Planning, Gitman
on eBay. Basic and complete, a real Finance book. Goes
thru the worst bear market and the common bull market,
asset inventory, even how to work a Financial calculator.
The two paragraphs on index funds were right on the button.
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

A Man Without Breath by Philip Kerr. Part of the Bernie Gunther series.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Angst

Post by Angst »

Fallible wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:08 pm After watching the excellent Steven Spielberg film, The Post, some months ago, I got curious about how close it played to the real events. So I re-read Katharine Graham's book, Personal History, and then the Pentagon Papers section in the book, Ben Bradlee: A Good Life, and thought it was close enough. I also for the first time realized what an extraordinary man Graham's father was (on Wall Street, the Federal Reserve, first president of the World Bank, newspaper publisher, etc.). So I'm now reading his 1974 biography, Eugene Meyer, by Merlo J. Pusey, and enjoying it so far.
I read Katherine Graham's book a long time ago (I've always referred to it as her memoir - correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the one in which Warren Buffett figures fairly prominently, correct? All about her inheriting responsibility for the Washington Post when her husband passed away...) and thought it was wonderful. I always believed it would make a great bio-pic.
Howard Donnelly

Post by Howard Donnelly »

A friend recently sent me a copy of Mind to Matter: The Astonishing Science of How Your Brain Creates Material Reality, by Dawson Church. Has anyone read this book? If so, thoughts?
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Angst wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:30 pm
Fallible wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:08 pm After watching the excellent Steven Spielberg film, The Post, some months ago, I got curious about how close it played to the real events. So I re-read Katharine Graham's book, Personal History, and then the Pentagon Papers section in the book, Ben Bradlee: A Good Life, and thought it was close enough. I also for the first time realized what an extraordinary man Graham's father was (on Wall Street, the Federal Reserve, first president of the World Bank, newspaper publisher, etc.). So I'm now reading his 1974 biography, Eugene Meyer, by Merlo J. Pusey, and enjoying it so far.
I read Katherine Graham's book a long time ago (I've always referred to it as her memoir - correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the one in which Warren Buffett figures fairly prominently, correct? All about her inheriting responsibility for the Washington Post when her husband passed away...) and thought it was wonderful. I always believed it would make a great bio-pic.
Warren arrives later in the book, but once he does, yes, he figures prominently. I won’t say more if you’re going to re-read the book. I also read the book some years ago, but got much more out of it this time around, such as her father’s influence on her, especially when he bought the newspaper and realized she was the only one of his children destined for the news business. She also had worked on newspapers before she married.

Btw, the movie, The Post, centers mainly on her handling of the Pentagon Papers, which was before Warren came along. Wonderful acting by all, especially Meryl Streep as Katharine and Tom Hanks as Ben Bradlee.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

Rereading 'An American Sickness' by Dr Elisabeth Rosenthal. Just as depressing the second time.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

jebmke wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:15 pm A Man Without Breath by Philip Kerr. Part of the Bernie Gunther series.
And unfortunately we just lost him.

No more Bernie Gunther. It's a bit like losing Wallender (Henning Mankell) - something has gone out of the world.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

There is also now a documentary about Ben Bradlee's life?
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

6miths wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:11 pm Red Moon Rising by Matthew Brzezinski. The story of Sergi Korolev and the Soviet Union's rocket programme and the ICBM and space race. Very good.
I should read this one.

Stephen Zaloga has a fairly technical history of Soviet nuclear missiles, based on his ability to read Russian - the different Design/ Manufacture Bureau (s) published quite a bit of the story in the 1990s when they were trying to market themselves commercially.

It was interesting for its portrayal of the various problems which confronted the Strategic Rocket Forces. The shortages of skilled personnel, relying mostly on conscripts. The difficulties of building operational missile bases in extreme environments of Siberia and Arctic Russia.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Valuethinker wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:49 am
jebmke wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:15 pm A Man Without Breath by Philip Kerr. Part of the Bernie Gunther series.
And unfortunately we just lost him.

No more Bernie Gunther. It's a bit like losing Wallender (Henning Mankell) - something has gone out of the world.
Kerr did a masterful job of building his stories around actual events and grafting historical characters into the story. Some of the characters are the usual big names of the Nazi Germany period but a lot of them are more obscure.
Angst

Post by Angst »

Fallible wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:45 pm Warren arrives later in the book, but once he does, yes, he figures prominently. I won’t say more if you’re going to re-read the book. I also read the book some years ago, but got much more out of it this time around, such as her father’s influence on her, especially when he bought the newspaper and realized she was the only one of his children destined for the news business. She also had worked on newspapers before she married.

Btw, the movie, The Post, centers mainly on her handling of the Pentagon Papers, which was before Warren came along. Wonderful acting by all, especially Meryl Streep as Katharine and Tom Hanks as Ben Bradlee.
Thank you for refreshing my memory, and for reminding me of The Post film; I've added it to my library list.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Valuethinker wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:50 am
There is also now a documentary about Ben Bradlee's life?
Thanks. I'll plan to watch it.
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

The Okinawa Program by Willcox, Willcox, and Suzuki. It's about a 25 year medical study on long living people (over the age of 100!) in a particular region in Japan.