What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Fallible
Posts: 6061
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by Fallible » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:26 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Fallible wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:Akerlof, G.A. and Shiller, R.J."Phishing for Phools".

On 17 December 2015, I attended Akerlof's and Shiller's presentation of the book at the Smithsonian. That was my fist time in the presence of two Nobel prize laureates at the same time. I came in early and sat in the front row. Akerlof and I have exchanged some smiles before he started and later he took my question.
Victoria


Victoria, how did the presentation go? Were they asked what was really new in the book? I've read only a Kindle sample while awaiting the library book, but it seemed they were anticipating readers would wonder this. Want to share your question to Akerlof and his answer with us?

Fallible


Hi Fallible,

I was highly attuned to the presentation and was catching interesting bits. For example, Shiller mentioned that Jason Zweig said that it's remarkable that Akerlof and Shiller co-authored books twice (the first one was Animal Spirits). Shiller also made several book recommendations including Ariely's The Honest Truth About Dishonesty and Dean Buonomano's Brain Bugs. He seemed uncomfortable marketing his own book and tried to focus on the message that the card deck is stacked against a consumer.

Shiller gave tribute to Akerlof's work citing his papers "Market for Lemons" and "The Economics of Caste and of the Rat Race." He referred to John Kenneth Galbraith's The Affluent Society. He mentioned a new free electronic journal eLife that contrasts itself with Nature and Science, the latter being expensive and popularizing.

My question was "Much of the presentation is about what the Phishers do. Do you also explain Phools' behavior?" I was interested in cognitive biases, but Shiller's response was about policy. He said that many people need financial advice and are not getting it. He recommends making expenses on financial advisers a tax credit, rather than an itemized deduction, because most people who need financial advice don't itemize. I responded that many financial advisers do more harm than good. Shiller responded that unfortunately they don't have the same ethics code as doctors do, but did not elaborate any further.
Victoria


Good question about the "Phools" side of it and good to see mention of Ariely's "Dishonesty" book and Buonomano's "Brain Bugs." I read the Ariely book, but hadn't heard of "Brain Bugs" - now on my list. Also not heard of eLife, the electronic journal, and the idea of the tax credit for advisor expenses is really interesting and I wonder whether that will be achieved.

Thanks for the report. :thumbsup
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

User avatar
Joe Jones
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:48 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by Joe Jones » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:15 pm

Currently enjoying A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton G. Malkiel

Recently finished The Boglehead's Guide to Investing by Landauer, Larimore, LeBoeuf and The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John C. Bogle

The Clash of the Cultures: Investment Vs. Speculation by John C. Bogle looks good.
The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham is sitting on the book shelf looking lonely.
0+2=1

Valuethinker
Posts: 32689
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:45 am

bertilak wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:Buchan is significantly earlier than the others. It's a bit like complaining a crime writer isn't any good compared to Hammett and Chandler, if he wrote *before* Hammett and Chandler.

Right, I didn't mean it to sound quite so much like criticism, just noting my opinion! Right, Bond is direct descendant of Hannay.

I've only read a couple of Ambler's. Quite different. Protagonist is not a superman. Could be you or me.


My apologies if my reply was too harsh!

Reading Buchan has a charm not because of literary merit, but because of some of the scenarios and the way it sits in the development of the spy thriller.

Spy thrillers have that tension between the "he man" like Buchan and down to James Bond (and beyond) and the Amblerian ones. And you are right about Ambler-- he put the ordinary man into the spy thriller. Alan Furst is doing a kind of homage to Ambler-- not always successful, but immaculately researched.

Tom Clancy is also probably a linear successor to Fleming and Buchan (Bond and Hannay).

Len Deighton also, although his characters are more Ambler-esque. But the Harry Palmer series (the Michael Caine movie was pretty good, too).

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/len-deighton/

Le Carre takes it somewhere else-- into the moral ambiguity of the world of intelligence. I wouldn't call Smiley "ordinary" but he is a man caught up in a much bigger machine. Yet those novels (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Smiley's People; and the masterful BBC adaptations with Alec Guinness) also humanize the spy thriller.

Gavin Lyall (who did a bit of the "he man" eg his interest in guns and his background as a pilot) at the end of his career went back and created 2 spies at the beginning of the British spy service- -with all the problems like no budget, etc.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/l/gavin-lyall/ ("Honour")

For cerebral spy thrillers with strong interlinks to history, I loved Antony Price, and was sorry he never finished the Dr. David Audley series.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/anthony-price/

timmy
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by timmy » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:30 pm

http://www.amazon.com/The-Obstacle--Way ... 1591846358

Stoic view on turning problems/ obstacles into opportunities. Quick read without feeling too much like chewing bubble gum.

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 11118
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:57 pm

Pacific Crucible: War at Sea in the Pacific, 1941 - 1942, by Ian W. Toll.

The book covers the pre-war development of Japan, naval history in the U.S. including Admiral Mahan and President Theodore Roosevelt, and history of the war in the Pacific through the Battle of Midway. It's not just a history of battles, but includes lots of context including: politics and arguments about military strategy and planning in both Japan and the U.S.; disputes over signals intelligence in the U.S.; and the war outside of the Pacific.

I am not quite finished with this book, but do recommend it. It is apparently the first of a three book series.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 17223
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:34 pm

Samir Okasha, Philosophy of Science: A Very Short Introduction. "A very short" in the title is deceiving: while the book is physically short it's a long read. And it's a fascinating read. I have never imagined that philosophy of science has so many facets.

For example, I was familiar with Thomas Kuhn's concept of paradigm shifts and scientific revolutions, but have not read his work. This book reviews Kuhn's ideas, provides his critics' responses, and Kuhn's responses to the critics. The concept that science jumps to new paradigms is easy to accept for anyone familiar with the impact of Copernicus, Darwin, or Einstein. But I had no idea that Kuhn claimed that paradigm shift is not a rational activity, that there is no objective standard for comparing paradigms, and that science does not move in a linear fashion from lesser to greater truth.

Kuhn justified these outrages claims with two types of arguments:
1. Competing paradigms are incommensurable, meaning that they don't have a common language or common standards. For example, "mass" has a different meaning to Newton and Einstein, and thus their theories cannot be directly compared.
2. Data are theory-laden, meaning that data are contaminated by theoretical assumptions and cannot serve as a neutral basis for comparing paradigms.

One interesting consequence of Kuhn's ideas is that theories and paradigms with the most forceful advocates win. I am familiar with the academic competition, and particularly in the field of Behavioral Economics after reading Thaler's Misbehaving. But I looked at these as ego-career-tenure induced road blocks on the path to the ultimate truth. Now, it appears that triumph of scientific theories is survival of the fittest fighters rather than the best substances.

I am sure that for many Bogleheads these are not news, but I am shocked.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 39979
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:50 pm

The Wolf Gift, by Anne Rice. A modern day "wolf man" with an interesting perspective. This book has a dichotomy of "like it" and "hate it" reviews, there's not much in between.

The opening starts off somewhat predictably, but it picks up once the plot line is established. Anne Rice knows how to write. This is not her best work, but it's keeping me in suspense. I have the sequel ready to go.

Those wanting an introduction to Anne Rice should try Interview with the Vampire.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

drawpoker
Posts: 1620
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Delmarva

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by drawpoker » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:39 pm

Just finished Jerry Oppenheimer's latest book "RFK Jr...." Kinda disappointing, the early reviews promised there would be new dirt on the Kennedys, especially Ethel. But didn't really deliver the goods, except for the minute details of how she stiffed the restaurant in Illinois on the bill for the rehearsal dinner for son's first wedding.
Most chapters were devoted to how carefully RFK Jr. tried to conceal facts, deceive readers of his own auto-bio with pretty glaring distortions of what really took place. Particularly concerning his heroin use, subsequent arrests, suicide of 2nd wife, and on and on.
However, anyone who bought into his phony baloney about being an "environmental rights" champion, so passionate and devoted to conservation efforts, someone to be admired, etc, should read it anyway. To find out the real story behind the Kennedy façade.

jdb
Posts: 1204
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by jdb » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:55 pm

drawpoker wrote:Just finished Jerry Oppenheimer's latest book "RFK Jr...." Kinda disappointing, the early reviews promised there would be new dirt on the Kennedys, especially Ethel. But didn't really deliver the goods, except for the minute details of how she stiffed the restaurant in Illinois on the bill for the rehearsal dinner for son's first wedding.
Most chapters were devoted to how carefully RFK Jr. tried to conceal facts, deceive readers of his own auto-bio with pretty glaring distortions of what really took place. Particularly concerning his heroin use, subsequent arrests, suicide of 2nd wife, and on and on.
However, anyone who bought into his phony baloney about being an "environmental rights" champion, so passionate and devoted to conservation efforts, someone to be admired, etc, should read it anyway. To find out the real story behind the Kennedy façade.

With all due respect find it hard to believe that so called authors are writing exposes of someone assassinated over 45 years ago and even more unbelievable that people are actually buying and reading such works. Rehearsal dinner invoices? Let him rest in peace. Far more important to focus on current political figures. How about The Donald?
Last edited by jdb on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 17223
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:00 pm

jdb wrote: Far more important to focus on current political figures. How about The Donald?


According to Wikipedia:

Wikipedia wrote:Donald's two dominant personality traits are his short temper and his positive outlook on life. Many Donald shorts start with Donald in a happy mood, without a care in the world until something comes along and spoils his day. His anger is a great cause of suffering in his life. On multiple occasions, it has caused him to get in over his head and lose competitions. There are times when he fights to keep his temper, and he sometimes succeeds in doing so temporarily, but he always returns to his normal angry self in the end.


Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

jdb
Posts: 1204
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by jdb » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:08 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
jdb wrote: Far more important to focus on current political figures. How about The Donald?


According to Wikipedia:

Wikipedia wrote:Donald's two dominant personality traits are his short temper and his positive outlook on life. Many Donald shorts start with Donald in a happy mood, without a care in the world until something comes along and spoils his day. His anger is a great cause of suffering in his life. On multiple occasions, it has caused him to get in over his head and lose competitions. There are times when he fights to keep his temper, and he sometimes succeeds in doing so temporarily, but he always returns to his normal angry self in the end.


Victoria

Good one Victoria. Sounds like someone in the media spotlight today.

User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 33799
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by nisiprius » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:12 pm

Just started Phishing for Phools: The Economics of Manipulation and Deception, George A. Akerlof & Robert J. Shiller. It looks as if it is going to be very, very interesting. But did traditional economists truly not understand that the market can reward manipulation and deception?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 17223
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:25 pm

nisiprius wrote:Just started Phishing for Phools: The Economics of Manipulation and Deception, George A. Akerlof & Robert J. Shiller. It looks as if it is going to be very, very interesting. But did traditional economists truly not understand that the market can reward manipulation and deception?


It's not that they did not understand it but, rather, they thought it unnecessary to include manipulation and deception in their models. It's similar to the development of the Internet. ARPANET did not include any provisions for combating computer exploits, and computer security is being implemented as necessary. As computer security is being added, it creates conflicts between the need to catch crooks and the need to protect decent citizens.

It's easy to ridicule conventional economists while reading books written by behavioral economists (something I am prone to), but they also have a point. Standard economics aimed to develop models that were (a) simple and (b) predictive, while ignoring the psychology of the economic agents. These models were working reasonably OK. Economists started paying attention to psychology only after psychologists introduced models that were making even better predictions.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

drawpoker
Posts: 1620
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Delmarva

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by drawpoker » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:59 pm

jdb wrote:With all due respect find it hard to believe that so called authors are writing exposes of someone assassinated over 45 years ago and even more unbelievable that people are actually buying and reading such works. Rehearsal dinner invoices? Let him rest in peace. .....


No, no. You misunderstood. The Oppenheimer book is about Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
Not the father killed in 1968 following Calif. primary.
Jerry Oppenheimer, btw, is a very respected and highly regarded American author, with an impressive resume of previous books under his belt. Not a "so-called" author by any stretch.
If you take the time to read the book, you will discover the intent was to show how the assassination of the father in '68 had such tragic effects on the older sons, esp. RFK Jr. and his late brothers David (dead by drug overdose) and Michael (killed in ski accident) And how cruel and uncaring the mother( Ethel Kennedy) was, and pretty much well documents her part in how the lives of her older children played out after their father's sudden death.

TimDex
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:27 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by TimDex » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:33 am

VT...thanks for the Gavin Lyall recommendation. Just started secret servant, very good, well written.

Also have started something entirely different... A book to carry me through a long winter and into spring most likely: Republics, Ancient and Modern, by Paul A. Rahe, a professor at Hillsdale. An examination of political philosophy in Greece, early modern Europe and the young American republic. Very dense, best taken about five pages or so at a time, but I like it very much. Not in print, the hardcover used runs about 40 on Amazon, and is a real 1200 page door stopper of a book. Wish it were in kindle so it would be easier to physically handle, but it's worth the tennis elbow.

Tim
Last edited by TimDex on Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All man's miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone. " -- Pascal

Valuethinker
Posts: 32689
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:14 am

ruralavalon wrote:Pacific Crucible: War at Sea in the Pacific, 1941 - 1942, by Ian W. Toll.

The book covers the pre-war development of Japan, naval history in the U.S. including Admiral Mahan and President Theodore Roosevelt, and history of the war in the Pacific through the Battle of Midway. It's not just a history of battles, but includes lots of context including: politics and arguments about military strategy and planning in both Japan and the U.S.; disputes over signals intelligence in the U.S.; and the war outside of the Pacific.

I am not quite finished with this book, but do recommend it. It is apparently the first of a three book series.


Thank you, it sounds very interesting.

As I get older I am less interested in the "what" of history (names, dates, places, battles) perhaps because my memory is failing. Much more interested in the "whys" (strategy, tactics, logistics, morale, experience of civilians, war production, qualitative issues of armies and weapons).

For example the Panther tank was "superior" to its Sherman foe-- armor, penetrative power of its weapons etc. But the Sherman was very reliable (for a tank of that era) and the Panther was not. And tactical analyses seem to suggest that issues like crew quality and command ability were more important than the actual physical characteristics of the tanks.

jdb
Posts: 1204
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by jdb » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:21 am

drawpoker wrote:
jdb wrote:With all due respect find it hard to believe that so called authors are writing exposes of someone assassinated over 45 years ago and even more unbelievable that people are actually buying and reading such works. Rehearsal dinner invoices? Let him rest in peace. .....


No, no. You misunderstood. The Oppenheimer book is about Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
Not the father killed in 1968 following Calif. primary.
.

Oops, never mind. Have not been following family saga. But probably will save money by not buying that book.

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 11118
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by ruralavalon » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:48 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:Pacific Crucible: War at Sea in the Pacific, 1941 - 1942, by Ian W. Toll.

The book covers the pre-war development of Japan, naval history in the U.S. including Admiral Mahan and President Theodore Roosevelt, and history of the war in the Pacific through the Battle of Midway. It's not just a history of battles, but includes lots of context including: politics and arguments about military strategy and planning in both Japan and the U.S.; disputes over signals intelligence in the U.S.; and the war outside of the Pacific.

I am not quite finished with this book, but do recommend it. It is apparently the first of a three book series.


Thank you, it sounds very interesting.

As I get older I am less interested in the "what" of history (names, dates, places, battles) perhaps because my memory is failing. Much more interested in the "whys" (strategy, tactics, logistics, morale, experience of civilians, war production, qualitative issues of armies and weapons).

For example the Panther tank was "superior" to its Sherman foe-- armor, penetrative power of its weapons etc. But the Sherman was very reliable (for a tank of that era) and the Panther was not. And tactical analyses seem to suggest that issues like crew quality and command ability were more important than the actual physical characteristics of the tanks.

I agree, I find the "whys" more interesting than the "names, dates, places" of the battles.

A very good history of the same part of the Pacific war with good quality discussion of the "whys" (especially signals intelligence) is "Miracle at Midway", by Gordon W. Prange, Donald M. Goldstein, and Katherine V. Dillon.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

drawpoker
Posts: 1620
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Delmarva

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by drawpoker » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:33 pm

jdb wrote:
drawpoker wrote:
jdb wrote:With all due respect find it hard to believe that so called authors are writing exposes of someone assassinated over 45 years ago and even more unbelievable that people are actually buying and reading such works. Rehearsal dinner invoices? Let him rest in peace. .....


No, no. You misunderstood. The Oppenheimer book is about Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
Not the father killed in 1968 following Calif. primary.
.

Oops, never mind. Have not been following family saga. But probably will save money by not buying that book.


So did I. Save money, that is.

In fact, I can't remember the last time I actually purchased a book. Maybe ten years ago.

We have an excellent local library system. If they don't have it (esp. newer books) they borrow one from a branch within the state. If none is available thru that route, they will either buy the book, or go out-of-state to cooperating library systems to locate a copy.

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 11118
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by ruralavalon » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:59 pm

drawpoker wrote:
jdb wrote:
drawpoker wrote:
jdb wrote:With all due respect find it hard to believe that so called authors are writing exposes of someone assassinated over 45 years ago and even more unbelievable that people are actually buying and reading such works. Rehearsal dinner invoices? Let him rest in peace. .....


No, no. You misunderstood. The Oppenheimer book is about Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
Not the father killed in 1968 following Calif. primary.
.

Oops, never mind. Have not been following family saga. But probably will save money by not buying that book.


So did I. Save money, that is.

In fact, I can't remember the last time I actually purchased a book. Maybe ten years ago.

We have an excellent local library system. If they don't have it (esp. newer books) they borrow one from a branch within the state. If none is available thru that route, they will either buy the book, or go out-of-state to cooperating library systems to locate a copy.

I save money a different way. I haven't bought a physical book for around five years. I buy e-books and use a Kindle. The prices are always less, and usually free if the work is past copyright protection.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Leeraar
Posts: 4109
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: Nowhere

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by Leeraar » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:21 pm

Leeraar wrote:"The Food Lab" by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt.

As a devotee of food and cooking science, I saw it at Costco and just had to have it.

Nearly 1,000 letter-sized pages, it will probably take me years to get through it.

I believe that understanding the science has made me a much better cook. I recently figured out how to "cold smoke" fresh cod to make the best haddock ("finnan haddie") I have ever tasted.

L.

Inspired by the "Beef roast" thread, here is a list of books on the science of cooking.

The classic: "On food and cooking", Harold McGee.
"What Einstein told his cook", Robert L. Wolke. (1 and 2.)
"The curious cook", Harold McGee.
"Cookwise", Shirley O. Corriher.
"Cooking for geeks", Jeff Potter.

Understanding what is going on will enable you to be a much better cook. For example, do not cook soaked beans in a slow cooker; Use a thermometer to check when your baked goods are done.

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 11118
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:48 pm

How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big, by Scott Adams.

A bit disappointing compared to his other work. This is a book of advice about how to be successful (e.g. "It's never a good idea to take advice from cartoonists . . . "). Its sometimes hard to tell if he is trying to be serious, trying to be humorous or both at the same time. In general -- have a strategy (rather than a goal), eat right, exercise, rest, be positive, keep it simple, acquire useful skills & education, and practice.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

bradshaw1965
Posts: 633
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:36 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by bradshaw1965 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:57 pm

Efficently Inefficient, How Smart Money Invests & Market Prices Are Determined Lasse Heje Pedersen

I'll probably never trade in any manner described in the book but find the overview of hedge fund trading styles fascinating. A few hard to follow equations but lots of supporting explanations make what amounts to a finance textbook very readable.

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 11118
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:18 pm

Roosevelt, by Brett Harper.

This is a concise biography of Theodore Roosevelt.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by heartwood » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:17 pm

American Blood by Ben Sanders. I'm half way through and find it a good story. A New York cop in the witness protection program in New Mexico becomes involved with local drug related people while probably avoiding someone chasing him.

After that I'm on to The Crossing by Michael Connelly.

jdb
Posts: 1204
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by jdb » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:04 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
jdb wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Herekittykitty wrote:"the life-changing magic of tidying up" by Marie Kondo. It is a quick read and worth it. I checked it out from the library.


A few people have highly recommended this book. Is it really life changing?

Victoria

Haven't read it but apropos just signed up on Amazon for "The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F#ck. How to Stop Spending Time You Don't Have with People You Don't Like Doing Things You Don't Want to Do" by Sarah Knight, due out end of this month. Will report back as to whether life changing.


Yes, please report back! In the mean time, I'll try the tidying up magic.

Victoria

Just received and read the book. And can truthfully say, excuse the language, that I do not give a f**** about the book. Way too sophomoric. But probably would feel same way about the tidying up book. In fact kind of felt that way about many books read in 2015 with a few exceptions, All the Light We Cannot See, Landfalls and Invention of Nature. So starting New Year am just going to re-read one of my favorites, The Histories by Herodotus (Landmark Edition), will be interesting watching Greeks and Persians go at it again in 5th Century BC, narrated by author who was almost a contemporary and who, unlike Sarah Knight, really cared about the events. Some things are worth caring about. Happy New Year. And congrats on winning the Bogleheads Contest.
Last edited by jdb on Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
black jack
Posts: 646
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by black jack » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:43 pm

Took a break from the Hamilton bio to read "Make Me", the latest Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)

User avatar
linenfort
Posts: 1888
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:22 am
Location: #96151D

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by linenfort » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:06 pm

Leeraar wrote:"The Food Lab" by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt.

As a devotee of food and cooking science, I saw it at Costco and just had to have it.

Thank you for posting this.
Have to get it!
Did anyone else play Acquire as a child?

Leeraar
Posts: 4109
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: Nowhere

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by Leeraar » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:46 pm

linenfort wrote:
Leeraar wrote:"The Food Lab" by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt.

As a devotee of food and cooking science, I saw it at Costco and just had to have it.

Thank you for posting this.
Have to get it!

It's wonderful! My Christmas beef roast was worth the price of the Lopez-Alt book.

Harold McGee was on NPR today, he has a new book.

I'd go with "The Food Lab" for now.

(Of course, I'll buy buy all of the books in the end!)

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 17223
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:11 am

jdb wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
jdb wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Herekittykitty wrote:"the life-changing magic of tidying up" by Marie Kondo. It is a quick read and worth it. I checked it out from the library.


A few people have highly recommended this book. Is it really life changing?

Victoria

Haven't read it but apropos just signed up on Amazon for "The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F#ck. How to Stop Spending Time You Don't Have with People You Don't Like Doing Things You Don't Want to Do" by Sarah Knight, due out end of this month. Will report back as to whether life changing.


Yes, please report back! In the mean time, I'll try the tidying up magic.

Victoria

Just received and read the book. And can truthfully say, excuse the language, that I do not give a f**** about the book. Way too sophomoric. But probably would feel same way about the tidying up book. In fact kind of felt that way about many books read in 2015 with a few exceptions, All the Light We Cannot See, Landfalls and Invention of Nature. So starting New Year am just going to re-read one of my favorites, The Histories by Herodotus (Landmark Edition), will be interesting watching Greeks and Persians go at it again in 5th Century BC, narrated by author who was almost a contemporary and who, unlike Sarah Knight, really cared about the events. Some things are worth caring about. Happy New Year. And congrats on winning the Bogleheads Contest.


Thank you for the feedback. I decided to check the book out from the library, and if the first few pages appeal to me, I'll order my own copy from Amazon.

Generally, I take a pragmatic approach to my environment and don't like touchy-feely recommendations. The 80/20 approach to tidying up could be to adapt a few key concepts from the book and ignore the rest. The most useful recommendation is to evaluate every item NOT on whether it could be useful BUT whether one can live without it; and get rid of those one can live without. I already know this concept but don't always practice it. The book may provide me with images that would trigger my subconscious mental processes towards better decisions.

Reading history and other old books spoils you. You get used to good writing and become averse to modern junk.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Leeraar
Posts: 4109
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: Nowhere

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by Leeraar » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:20 pm

VictoriaF wrote:Reading history and other old books spoils you. You get used to good writing and become averse to modern junk.


You are such a Victorian! :)

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

joebh
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:45 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by joebh » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:24 pm

I'm just about finished with reading "Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal" by Mary Roach.

I think Roach is a terrific author, having read most of her other books as well. Very entertaining.

Onion
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by Onion » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:56 pm

Andrew Mellen's "Unstuff Your Life"

joebh
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:45 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by joebh » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:13 pm

ruralavalon wrote:I save money a different way. I haven't bought a physical book for around five years. I buy e-books and use a Kindle. The prices are always less, and usually free if the work is past copyright protection.


I also use a Kindle. For even more frugality, you should check out your local library systems.

I live in suburban Massachusetts. But last year, I learned that I could get an ID for the Boston Public Library site, and get e-books there. For recent editions, there's usually a wait, but you can put a bunch on hold and read them on your Kindle for free once your turn arrives.

Check out: http://www.bpl.org/collections/downloadable.htm

Many cities these days offer library IDs - even if you don't live in the city itself.

jpelder
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:56 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by jpelder » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:43 pm

joebh wrote:I'm just about finished with reading "Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal" by Mary Roach.

I think Roach is a terrific author, having read most of her other books as well. Very entertaining.


Ooh, that was a great one.

I've just gotten started on A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, thus completing my two-year journey through The Wheel of Time. A great series for those who like giant fantasy worlds and a billion and a half characters. The first three books will suck you in, numbers 7 and 8 will almost make you quit, but the last few will bring you back again. Your spouse will hate your for staying up late reading, though

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 11118
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:50 pm

The Conquering Tide, by Ian W. Toll.

This is a history of part of World War II in the Pacific from Guadalcanal to the Marianas. The book covers Naval actions including submarines, and island battles. It also discusses Army/Navy disputes in both the U.S. and Japan, new ships and aircraft, the Europe first strategy, and political issues in Japan.

The book is second in a series of three.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

User avatar
Bustoff
Posts: 1979
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by Bustoff » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:32 am

Fascinating article in [link to topic in recent news removed by admin LadyGeek]

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 39979
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:04 pm

Let's stay focused on books.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
cfs
Posts: 3373
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:22 am
Location: ~ Inactivestand ~

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by cfs » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:42 pm

Currently reading:

"Lights Out: A Cyberattack, a Nation Unprepared, Surviving the Aftermath”

By Ted Koppel

Here is the NYT review of this book: NYT review by Walter Russell Mead.
~ No Internet Interest ~

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 11118
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:43 pm

Key West Luck, by Laurence Shames.

A mediocre guitar player at a seedy Key West bar and the girl who runs the sno-cone truck at Smathers Beach outwit both the Mafia and Cuban gangsters, who think they have a fall guy in a smuggling operation. This is a fun beach book, with absolutely no deeper meaning or redeeming social value. I recommend this book.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 5569
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by bertilak » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:00 pm

ruralavalon wrote:Key West Luck, by Laurence Shames.

A mediocre guitar player at a seedy Key West bar and the girl who runs the sno-cone truck at Smathers Beach outwit both the Mafia and Cuban gangsters, who think they have a fall guy in a smuggling operation. This is a fun beach book, with absolutely no deeper meaning or redeeming social value. I recommend this book.

Started reading this series back in the early '90s when they first one came out. Lost track of them after the first four or five. Didn't spot them on the shelves at Borders or B&N then forgot all about them.

I enjoyed them very much. Will likely take another look!

You are right. The ones I read made NO pretense at being anything other than pure entertainment. I also recommend!

Really got to like the characters. Is there still that retired Mafia Don and his little dog? Or have the books moved on in time to where neither he nor his little dog would be expected to be around any more?
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 11118
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:03 pm

bertilak wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:Key West Luck, by Laurence Shames.

A mediocre guitar player at a seedy Key West bar and the girl who runs the sno-cone truck at Smathers Beach outwit both the Mafia and Cuban gangsters, who think they have a fall guy in a smuggling operation. This is a fun beach book, with absolutely no deeper meaning or redeeming social value. I recommend this book.

Started reading this series back in the early '90s when they first one came out. Lost track of them after the first four or five. Didn't spot them on the shelves at Borders or B&N then forgot all about them.

I enjoyed them very much. Will likely take another look!

You are right. The ones I read made NO pretense at being anything other than pure entertainment. I also recommend!

Really got to like the characters. Is there still that retired Mafia Don and his little dog? Or have the books moved on in time to where neither he nor his little dog would be expected to be around any more?

Yes, "Bert the Shirt" and his tiny Chihuahua still feature prominently.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

gkaplan
Posts: 7034
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by gkaplan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:46 pm

I just finished The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon.

In a world in which Alaska, rather than Israel, has become the homeland for the Jews following World War II, Detective Meyer Landsman and his half-Tlingit partner Berko investigate the death of a heroin-addicted chess prodigy. The Yiddish Policemen’s Union revives the in-danger-of-dying language in a most creative way: the author imagines an alternate history, where Jews fleeing Hitler’s Europe are granted refuge in the Alaskan wasteland. The local language is Yiddish, and Chabon has “updated” the language for the 21st century.

It took me about half the book to get into it. Even then, I'm not sure I ever did. It's not any easy read.

Chabon won the 2001 Pulitzer Price for fiction for his The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. Most, however, probably would know Chabon for his 1995 novel, Wonder Boys, which was made into a movie starring Michael Douglas, Tobey Maguire, and Katie Holmes.
Gordon

letsgobobby
Posts: 10425
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:10 am

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by letsgobobby » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:01 am

letsgobobby wrote:Mosquito Coast, Paul Theroux. Excellent, surpassed my expectations. The slow burn from eccentric inventive genius to manic, paranoid genius was well executed.

Bone Clocks, David Mitchell. Halfway through. Reminds me a bit of Junot Diaz. Wild ride. Some parts are heartachingly compelling.

Beauty and the Sorrow, Peter Englund. As the subtitle says, an Intimate History of the first world war. Stunning. The best war book I have ever read. Follows 20 or so real life players in the war, all minor characters. Visceral sense of the human tragedy of that war.

Netherland, Joseph O'Neill. Cricket, New York, a marriage on the rocks. Didn't do much for me.

The Bone Clocks has stayed with me. I read a review of it which highlighted in particular Chapters 1 and 3 (I think). At any rate, I have to say that I can't stop thinking about those 2 chapters. The first, and the one where a main character works at a ski resort in Switzerland. Those 2 chapters keep flooding back to me. So I think the book overall was only ok - the ending wasn't as powerful as the beginning - but that may only be because the beginning was so damn good.

Rotsevni
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:41 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by Rotsevni » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:51 pm

Currently i'm reading "Why smart people make big money mistakes and how to correct them"... not one of the shortest title i've ever seen :p. This book is suggested from the Bogleheads book recommendations and is my first book on behavioral economics and the psychology of spending money. Very interesting! Glad that I ordered this book ;D

nbseer
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:00 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by nbseer » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:05 pm

Just finished "1Q84" by Haruki Muratami. Centers on a religious cult, two long-lost lovers, a blurring of reality and fantasy. I've gotten hooked on Muratami, have now read most of his stuff.. very intriguing.

Leeraar
Posts: 4109
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: Nowhere

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by Leeraar » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:13 pm

Rotsevni wrote:Currently i'm reading "Why smart people make big money mistakes and how to correct them"... not one of the shortest title i've ever seen :p. This book is suggested from the Bogleheads book recommendations and is my first book on behavioral economics and the psychology of spending money. Very interesting! Glad that I ordered this book ;D

One of the earliest books on behavioral investing is William T. Morris: "How to get rich slowly, but almost surely" (1973). Highly recommended, though not easy to find these days.

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

User avatar
jmndu99
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:18 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by jmndu99 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:30 pm

J.K. Lassrer's "Your Income tax 2016: for preparing your 2015 Return"

Free from Local Library.

Quite informative on a broad range of tax issues

beezar
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:30 am

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by beezar » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:27 pm

ruralavalon wrote:Roosevelt, by Brett Harper.

This is a concise biography of Theodore Roosevelt.


If you enjoy reading about Roosevelt and want to read something more than concise (well, substantially more than concise), I'd strongly recommend the trilogy by Edmund Morris starting with The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. Extremely well written and researched, and they read like novels. The first book is my favorite biography so far (I've read quite a few).

m_squared
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:27 am

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by m_squared » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:13 am

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline. It's a work of historical fiction about homeless youth from the East Coast who were sent to the Midwest on "orphan trains" with no vetting of prospective "families" and very little follow up.

I enjoy historical fiction because it brings past events to life and puts them into a context I care about (lives of the characters) rather than history being an abstract list of dates and events.

Post Reply