What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gkaplan

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by gkaplan » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:14 pm

I just finished reading The Other Side of Silence by Philip Kerr.

The war is over. Bernie Gunther, sardonic former Berlin homicide detective and unwilling SS officer, is now living on the French Riviera.
It is 1956. Bernie is the go-to guy at the Grand-Hotel du Cap-Ferrat, the man you turn to for touring tips or if you need a fourth for bridge.
As it happens, a local writer needs just that, someone to fill the fourth seat in a regular game that is the usual evening diversion at the Villa Mauresque. Not just any writer. W. Somerset Maugham. It turns out it is not just a bridge partner that he needs; it's some professional advice.
Maugham is being blackmailed – perhaps because of his unorthodox lifestyle, or perhaps because of something in his past, because once upon a time, Maugham worked for the British secret service, and the people now blackmailing him are spies. (Summary edited from a description provided by the publisher.)

Bernie Gunther is the quintessential anti-hero and arguably the most complex and multidimensional protagonist in crime fiction.
Gordon

jdb

Post by jdb » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:32 pm

Just finished "Northern Armegeddon, The Battle of the Plains of Abraham and the Making of the American Revolution" by D. Peter MacLeod. As a South Florida resident I often see the Quebec license plates during winter with their enigmatic "Je me souviens". I always wondered what they were remembering. This book explains a significant part of it, the conquest of French Canada by British troops less than 20 years before American Revolution. The author claims that the conquest led directly to the American revolution, since colonists wanted British protection against a French army on northern border which also controlled much of interior of continent, but once the French threat dispelled the colonists could exercise their repressed desire for freedom, and using French fleet as essential ally. Also didn't know that over one third of British military forces in that conflict were American colonists, both in army and navy. The single biggest obstacle faced by British, even greater than seemingly insurmountable heights of city, were the currents and shallows of St Lawrence river. A young navigator, James Cook, oversaw the expert charting of the river which the author claimed was single biggest weapon employed by the British. And the young navigator after promotion to Captain of course achieved enduring fame for his explorations of the South Pacific. And seeing the resourcefulness of British troops (the officer who led the infantry assault on bluffs of Quebec City, Colonel Howe, led all British troops as General Howe during first years of revolution) makes one better appreciate the accomplishments of George Washington and the revolutionary army. Recommend this to fans of military history or Canadian history and those who like myself want to better understand what the Québécois are remembering.
Last edited by jdb on Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bungo

Post by Bungo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:29 am

The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer. I'm about 650 pages into it, out of 1100. I think it is physically the thickest paperback I've ever read. The first third or so was really good, documenting Gary Gilmore's release from prison, followed by a few tense months of escalating antisocial behavior, culminating in his committing two more or less random murders, all narrated by a third person who convincingly adopts the mindset, if not the voice, of each of the motley cast of low-life hillbillies from whose points of view the story is told. Mailer does a great job building the tension in this part - with every turn of the page, Gilmore's behavior becomes increasingly creepy and erratic, in that petty-criminal-who-might-just-shoot-someone-for-no-good-reason-at-any-moment way.

The latter two thirds of the book apparently focus on the period following Gilmore's decision not to appeal his death sentence until his death by firing squad a few months later. (The murder trial itself doesn't span more than a few dozen pages.) It's a bit tedious as it goes into great detail about journalists and filmmakers squabbling amongst themselves to get access to Gilmore and his white-trash girlfriend. The modern reader might be forgiven for wondering what was the big deal. The crimes themselves (shooting a gas station attendant and a motel clerk) would barely register a blip in the news today (nor, I'm guessing, then). But Gilmore's was the first execution to be carried out in the U.S. after a decade-long moratorium from the mid-60s to the mid-70s, and he chose to waive the de facto appeal that follows most death penalty convictions, so the media attention is understandable. As this was a bit before my time (I was eight years old when Gilmore was executed), I recall nothing of the circus that must have surrounded the whole saga, although I expect it was rather quaint compared with the OJ spectacle 20 years later.

Anyway, at the risk of summarizing prematurely (650/1100 is barely halfway through the book), I can strongly recommend the first part of the book, and the rest is at least of historical interest, although longwinded.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:39 pm

Silver Spoon Kids: How Successful Parents Raise Responsible Children, by Eileen & Jon Gallo

market timer

Post by market timer » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:02 am

Recommended by Marginal Revolution: The Last Samurai, by Helen Dewitt (not the basis for the Tom Cruise movie)

Amazon blurb:
Sibylla, an American-at-Oxford turned loose on London, finds herself trapped as a single mother after a misguided one-night stand. High-minded principles of child-rearing work disastrously well. J. S. Mill (taught Greek at three) and Yo Yo Ma (Bach at two) claimed the methods would work with any child; when these succeed with the boy Ludo, he causes havoc at school and is home again in a month. (Is he a prodigy, a genius? Readers looking over Ludo’s shoulder find themselves easily reading Greek and more.) Lacking male role models for a fatherless boy, Sibylla turns to endless replays of Kurosawa’s masterpiece Seven Samurai. But Ludo is obsessed with the one thing he wants and doesn’t know: his father’s name. At eleven, inspired by his own take on the classic film, he sets out on a secret quest for the father he never knew. He’ll be punched, sliced, and threatened with retribution. He may not live to see twelve. Or he may find a real samurai and save a mother who thinks boredom a fate worse than death.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:35 pm

MP173 wrote:Warren Zevon, Desperado of Los Angeles by George Plasketes.

A complex and at times troubled singer songwriter.

Ed

I found Zevon's music at the end of my binge-watching of House - MD. His tune Keep Me in Your Heart was the exit music for last episode, as Wilson and House were on their motorcycle journey. Really hit me hard as I had just lost my sister, after losing my brother about six months earlier. Purchased his final CD, released after his death. The song still brings me to tears.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:03 pm

The Clocks, by Agatha Christie.

Espionage and murder become mixed.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

theunknowntech

Post by theunknowntech » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:23 pm

"The Making of Donald Trump" by D.C. Johnson (winner of the Pulitzer Prize,) released a few weeks ago, is a delightful synopsis of what you would already know if you had been diligently keeping up with current events. Every day something new comes up, the NYTimes has been very good with their investigative journalism lately, after previously falling short (in disbelief, possibly.) This book, which will get you up to speed sufficiently to appreciate the new reportage, is a great read, _especially_ if you just crawled out from under a rock. Bravo!

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:36 am

Eiffel's Tower by Jill Jonnes. The jacket design obviously wants to remind us of Erik Larson's books, and I was attracted by it because I liked The Devil in the White City (Chicago World's Fair of 1893) so well. I'm finding it very interesting, although I have to wonder what the rest of the book will be about because I'm about 1/4 into it and the tower is already complete. Except for huge problems with the elevators. We recently got back from a trip that included Cody, Wyoming and the (very good) Buffalo Bill Cody Center of the West (IS there a Buffalo Bill Cody Center of the East?) and that has left me with some residual curiosity about Buffalo Bill, so I am coming into the book interested in that topic, too.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:53 pm

I just finished reading The Widowmaker by Paul Doiron.

After a mysterious woman gives Mike Bowditch disturbing news, the game warden goes looking for a family secret in a Maine ski town and discovers a vigilante who seems to be targeting sex offenders.

(Description provided by publisher.)

I have read all the author's books, and they all are excellent. For those who might be interested in reading him, you probably should read the books in the order in which they are written.
Gordon

goldendad

Post by goldendad » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:05 pm

"The Courage to Act" by Ben Bernanke. Interesting read (but I am an economics nerd).

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:25 pm

The Drop, by Dennis Lehane. In 2014 it was made into a movie starring Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace and James Gandolfini.

snowshoes

Post by snowshoes » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:38 pm

Quiet: The power of Introverts in a world that cannot stop :wink: yammering! by Susan Cain.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:57 pm

Just finished The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith.

Tom Ripley is a small-time (but talented!) con man in New York who stumbles upon an opportunity for an expenses-paid trip to Italy to convince a wandering son to return to his rich parents in New York. I'll not give anything away by saying things turn deadly and Tom ends up evading the law in this subtle psychological thriller. Tension mounts on the sunny shores of Italy (and other Italian touristy spots). The book was written in 1955 and the action takes place at that time. The book is "evocative" (as they say) of the time and place.

Ms. Highsmith was definitely quite the story teller! She also wrote the novel Strangers on a Train which was, of course, made into a very Hitchcockian movie by the master himself. Too bad Hitchcock never did the same for this novel.

I will likely be reading more of Highsmith's work.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

kdsunday

Post by kdsunday » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:21 pm

I am halfway through The Destructive War: William Tecumseh Sherman, Stonewall Jackson and the Americans by Charles Royster.

It is a great read with the evolution of how Sherman and Jackson approached their roles in the Union and Confederate armies, respectively, as well as how various newspapers and common people in the North and South viewed the war.
In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. -Yogi Berra

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:58 pm

Bunker Hill, by Nathaniel Philbrick.

A vivid history of the beginnings of the American Revolution, and the personalities involved, through the British evacuation of Boston.

I recommend this book.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:07 pm

Still working on Eiffel's Tower, but also starting Show Boat by Edna Ferber, the more or less forgotten novel on which the musical was based. For some reason I'm on a Show Boat kick recently; it may be just because I've heard the songs so often I've gotten familiar with them, but it really seems to me to be a magnificent piece of work... not just the big, famous songs, but I'm also really charmed by some of the little ones and comic pieces "Hey, Feller," "Life Upon the Wicked Stage," "Goodbye, My Lady Love," Queenie's ballyhoo, "I Might Fall Back On You."

Why does everyone say that the modern musical as we know it began with "Oklahoma!"? What's Oklahoma! got that Show Boat ain't got? Serious themes. Songs integrated into the story. The only thing it's missing is a pretentious ballet...
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

wizzard

Post by wizzard » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:49 pm

The Richest Man In Babylon, by George S. Clason

I bought it earlier today and I am hooked!
Possibly one of my favorites in a little while :D :D
"In uncertain times, show equanimity. Otherwise you are an unfit shareholder" -Charlie Munger

Pugs135

Post by Pugs135 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:20 am

I recently finished Elon Musk. I enjoyed the Tesla and solar parts. I wasn't as interested in his space exploration plans.

I'm currently reading Living With A Seal. I'm really enjoying this book about a guy who invites a Navy Seal to live with him and his family for a month to help him get into better shape.

RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:51 am

TheRightKost87 wrote:
Non7WoodUser wrote:Crisis of Character. Should be required reading prior to the election.

This one is next on my "To Read" list. I've heard good things and definitely want to read it prior to the election. Should be pretty eye-opening.

We're reading it with great interest.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:01 am

Social Insecurity: 401(k)s and the Retirement Crisis by James W. Russell. Actually I'm re-reading since my first when I found it in New Arrivals at the library in 2014. I tried to do a link but my code didn't work
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GEYKVVE/re ... nav-subnav

It's a very interesting takedown of the push to privatize Social Security and convert defined benefit plans to defined contribution. Some of his premises seem kind of bogus to a Boglehead - he starts with the 2008 meltdown and how everyone with 401(k)s "lost" money and had to postpone retirement. I don't think the terms "mutual fund" or "allocation" appears in the book. He even implies that the typical investor in a 401k would be buying individual stocks! And why wouldn't they have a chunk of their retirement in cash equivalents by that time, enough to last a couple years? But that's his point: no one knows or cares or wants to learn, it's just all dread and denial for most people.

But the background on the coordinated campaign by the Cato Institute, World Bank and financial industries to privatize pensions is very illuminating. Also the experience with privatization of social security in Chile by the Pinochet regime, how that worked out and how contrary it was to what we were hearing in this country. Also Russell says that the "nationalization" of private pensions Argentina was quite different from what we were being told here.

Russell apparently was a sociology professor in Connecticut, and his vagueness about investment options is probably just as well, because as he writes so many people do not handle it well and moreover are not even interested enough to learn about their own money.

Hope this wasn't too political. For the record I am at the opposite end of the political spectrum from Mr. Russell but found this info very useful in assessing the propaganda we are fed about this topic.

jdb

Post by jdb » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:35 pm

Just finishing War and Peace, fourth time. Took almost five months, but kept on being distracted by other books, including ones mentioned on this site, would read a few hundred pages and then put aside to read another book, finished three others during that time. But my Russian friends in the novel were patient and quietly waited for me each time. By the way, the great Russian General Kutuzov, who defeated Napoleon not through military victories but through his strategy of using time and patience, had philosophy for military success similar to the great Jack Bogle for investment success. Kutuzov expressed his philosophy in French, "Dans le doute, abstiens-toi". When in doubt, forbear. Sound familiar? Enjoyed the book more each time. Now taking up a re-read of my other favorite book, Odyssey by Homer. Probably will take another five months with distractions. But my adventurous Greek friends will be patient. Wonder if Odysseus and cohorts have any philosophies similar to Jack Bogle? And wonder if brought War and Peace to Bogleheads conference would Jack Bogle autograph it?

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:35 pm

The Art of Fielding - Harbach - Story of a supremely talented shortstop at a small time college - but in the end, only peripherally about baseball. The writing is straightforward, the characters developed to variable depth, some of the plotlines left dangling at the end; yet I read the book very eagerly, found the story thoughtful and the characters likable, and overall enjoyed the book much more than many other 'better' books or books representing a greater achievement of literature. sometimes a good story is all you're looking for.

lgs88

Post by lgs88 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:50 pm

Capital in the 21st Century by Thomas Piketty.

The woman at the bookstore who rang me up told me - facetiously - to enjoy the read. It looks like a doorstop, but it's actually an excellent read. Imagine: an economist with a sense of humor! Dr. Piketty has improved my understanding of the role of capital in society.

Especially interesting take on whether government spending ought to be financed by taxation or debt.
merely an interested amateur

jstash

Post by jstash » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:41 am

A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy has been a comforting read for me.

black jack

Post by black jack » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:15 pm

I am Pilgrim - Terry Hayes. A thriller which did thrill, and left me thinking about the book after finishing it. A long book (the audio version is 22 hours 41 minutes). Coincidentally, after finishing the book, which involves smallpox, I looked up smallpox and found that Dr. D A Henderson, one of the people who led the worldwide smallpox eradication campaign, just passed away a few days ago http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/22/us/dr-donald-a-henderson-who-helped-end-smallpox-dies-at-87.html?_r=0. The World Health Organization estimated that two million people died of smallpox worldwide in 1967; in 1979, it was declared eradicated. Hurrah!

Getting the Love You Want: A Guide for Couples - Harville Hendrix. Boglehead slant: getting divorced is one of the worst financial mistakes you can make. This book might help prevent that.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:28 pm

The Great Taos Bank Robbery, by Tony Hillerman.

A wonderful collection of mostly true stories about New Mexico, from Hillerman's years as a newspaper editor and journalist.

Anyone who likes his novels will enjoy this book.

shmidds

Post by shmidds » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:26 pm

Just finished:

Colonel Roosevelt by Edmund Morris - free with first month trial of Audible.
Theodore Rex on hard cover - 50 cents at used book store.
The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt on kindle - $1.99 on bookbub.

First time completing a trilogy by print, electronic, and audio.

Great entertainment for $2.49.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:45 pm

How to Read a Book by Mortimer J. Adler & Charles Van Doren, (1940, revised 1972).

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:13 am

black jack wrote:I am Pilgrim - Terry Hayes. A thriller which did thrill, and left me thinking about the book after finishing it. A long book (the audio version is 22 hours 41 minutes). Coincidentally, after finishing the book, which involves smallpox, I looked up smallpox and found that Dr. D A Henderson, one of the people who led the worldwide smallpox eradication campaign, just passed away a few days ago http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/22/us/dr-donald-a-henderson-who-helped-end-smallpox-dies-at-87.html?_r=0. The World Health Organization estimated that two million people died of smallpox worldwide in 1967; in 1979, it was declared eradicated. Hurrah!

Getting the Love You Want: A Guide for Couples - Harville Hendrix. Boglehead slant: getting divorced is one of the worst financial mistakes you can make. This book might help prevent that.

I enjoyed Pilgrim tremendously as well. A second novel by Hayes was due early 2016. Then notes started appearing that the early reader comments were bad or worse. The date then went to mid-2017 and recently to May 2018. http://www.simonandschuster.com/books/T ... 1439177754

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:05 am

I Just finished Ripley Underground, a followup to The Talented Mr Ripley I finished a few days ago.

In book-time this picks up three years after Talented, which would be 1958 but it is supposed to take place in 1971 or thereabouts -- they listen to a Beatles record.

By now Tom is involved in art forgery. Once again things get deadly and Tom plays a delicate cat-and-mouse game with French and British police, a private investigator, suspicious customers, unreliable (and unstable) allies, assumed identities and acquaintances who drop in unexpectedly. Tom needs to juggle who knows (or has heard) what and who he can be seen with by whom. Tom skillfully balances all that, takes some risks and has both good and bad luck.

The book doesn't have quite the impact of the first one because you already know what Tom is capable of so there are fewer surprises. Highsmith ups the difficulties to make up for this.

Next up: Ripley's Game.

Groundhog

Post by Groundhog » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:45 am

Taking a brief break from Stephen King and now reading "The Mailman" by Bentley Little. The local mailman commits suicide and when the new mail carrier arrives all kinds of strange things start happening.

eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature by Richard Rorty.

Tried reading Dialectic of Enlightenment by Adorno and Horkheimer. May try again.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:00 am

shmidds wrote:Just finished:

Colonel Roosevelt by Edmund Morris - free with first month trial of Audible.
Theodore Rex on hard cover - 50 cents at used book store.
The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt on kindle - $1.99 on bookbub.

First time completing a trilogy by print, electronic, and audio.

Great entertainment for $2.49.

If you are interested in Theodore Roosevelt then you would probably also like River of Doubt, by Candice Millard. It's the story of his expedition exploring a river in Brazil's Amazon region.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:22 pm

The many posts here by Agatha Christie readers finally prompted me to dig out my brittle paperback collection dating back to the '60s. Unfortunately, I first reread Passenger to Frankfurt, a rare spy novel, one of her last books and not one of her best, although much of the Christie magic is still there. What I did enjoy was her Introduction in which she says she is endlessly asked where she gets her ideas and is tempted to answer "I always go to Harrods, or "I get them mostly at the Army & Navy Stores," or, simply, "Try Marks and Spencer." But what she actually says is, "My own head."

Next reread, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:26 am

I find myself reading 5 books at the same time.

Moscow 1941. The horrendous siege of Moscow in WW11
Ivans War (a re-read of the Red Armys experiences in WW11)
Cairo in the War 1939 to 1945
Spring Chicken. A lighter look at the human longevity issue.
Blue Water Vagabond. Just finishing this young mans true adventure of traveling around the world for 6 years ending in 1939.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:58 pm

Viking Art by James Graham-Campbell (2013), a part of the Thames & Hudson World of Art series. I find art from the Viking age to be beautiful and the subject interesting. This is a delightful book. I recommend it.
http://www.thamesandhudson.com/Viking_Art/9780500204191

black jack

Post by black jack » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:19 pm

Across the Nightingale Floor - Lian Hearn (pen name for Gillian Robertson).

Historical fantasy set in feudal Japan. Well-written and engrossing; I started listening to the audiobook while walking, and ended up lying in bed next night listening to it to find it how it ended. Written in alternating chapters from the perspective of the male and female protagonist; cheers to the audiobook company, which used a male (very good) and female (so-so) reader for these parts (rather than having one reader also render the other gender's part).

The nightingale floor is a floor made to squeak (or chirp like a nightingale) when someone steps on it, a low-tech security alarm for clan leaders.

It's the first of a five-part series; guess I'll be looking into the others.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:49 pm

Ripley's Game, Patricia Highsmith, 1974, third in a series of five.

Previously read
The Talented Mr. Ripley and
Ripley Underground

This picks up after the above and Tom Ripley gets into more unsavory situations. He is a bit more sympathetic than in the previous novels.

Tom is offended by the insensitive remark of an indirect acquaintance and has the opportunity to manipulate the poor guy into a dangerous undertaking, a bit of over-done revenge. Tom starts to feel some responsibility as things get sticky leading Tom to take some risks, risks that snowball. The body count gets pretty high in this one but you can sympathize somewhat as there is quite a bit of self defense from dangerously evil people involved.

Next up: The Boy Who Followed Ripley.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:13 pm

Dead Man's Folly, by Agatha Christie.

During a local festival at a country mansion, one of the entertainments is to be a mock murder mystery for the guests to solve. Poirot is to hand out the prizes to the winners.

But the local girl playing the murder victim is found dead, really.

corwin

Post by corwin » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:14 pm

I'm on a Michael Lewis twofer: The Big Short on kindle and Flash Boys in the car. It's somewhat entertaining because the villains in both books are longtime customers of mine.

snowshoes

Post by snowshoes » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:49 pm

The Little Book of Main Street Money: 21 things to do to .... By J.Clements and W. Bernstein. A Very good read(imho)

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:01 pm

Show Boat, by Edna Ferber, the basis for the musical of the same name.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:33 pm

I just re-read The World According To Garp by John Irving.

Amazing book. Superb author. I am going to re-read all John Irving books over time.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead | | Want to buy something? Watch this first: https://vimeo.com/41152287

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:37 pm

The Hobbit, and then probably LotR. I say "probably" because my wife just surprised me today with a biography of one of my favorite English authors, GK Chesterton. :)

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:39 pm

Nicolas wrote:How to Read a Book by Mortimer J. Adler & Charles Van Doren, (1940, revised 1972).

A fantastic book, although not your typical read for sure.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:20 pm

I just finished The Book of Aron by Jim Shepard.

The Warsaw Ghetto during the darkest days of World War II is the setting of this new novel from National Book Award nominee Shepard (Like You'd Understand, Anyway). Told from the perspective of Aron, a Jewish boy in the ghetto, it is the study of sadistic and systematic deprivation and dehumanization. Forced with his family from the countryside into the ghetto, where he joins a band of hardy young smugglers, Aron eventually loses his entire clan to typhus, malnutrition, and forced labor and ends up in an orphanage in the ghetto run by Janusz Korczak, an important historical figure from this period. Korczak was a well-known advocate for children's rights before the war and became famous for the orphanage he ran in the ghetto, and the author brings this heroic figure powerfully to life. Shepard also skillfully depicts the blighted human and moral landscape within the ghetto, where normal understandings of right and wrong have become impossibly compromised under the pressure of extermination. Surrounded by devastation, hopelessness, and cruelty, Korczak becomes an exemplar of all that is good and decent in the human spirit.
(Description taken from a Library Journal review, which gave the book a starred review.
Gordon

Bungo

Post by Bungo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:47 pm

I recently finished Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline. This is a fun book for anyone who enjoyed playing video games in the 1980s. Sort of a cross between Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Snow Crash, better than the latter but not as good as the former (what is?) Four stars out of five.

Now reading Dark Star, by Alan Furst. Excellent so far.

soboggled

Post by soboggled » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:42 pm

The Best Short Stories of Fyodor Dostoevsky. Prefer my heavy Russian literature in small chunks. A truly great unique author.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:45 pm

the girl on the train. will finish it before the movie comes out in october.