iOS 8 update available today

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JMacDonald

iOS 8 update available today

Post by JMacDonald » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:23 am

The iOS 8 update will be available today at 1pm ET. I have decided to wait before I update to see what problems people have with their devices. It seems there are always some issues at the beginning of any new major update no matter what company. Is anyone going to jump in immediately?

http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/17/technol ... index.html
Best Wishes, | Joe

Jake46

Re: iOS 8 update available today

Post by Jake46 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:25 am

Good plan to wait a bit.

stingray5688

Post by stingray5688 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:28 am

Yes. Everyone please wait so my installation is fast and uninterrupted.
"Don't be emotional about investing. So even a first investment should not be exciting." - livesoft

atomicrc11

Post by atomicrc11 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:33 pm

I will upgrade as soon as possible simply because of the WiFi calling feature on T-Mobile. This will solve the issue of calling from my home. No matter which carrier, they don't work in my house. Outside is just fine.

FreemanB

Post by FreemanB » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:50 pm

Having gone through the process of downgrading one of my wife's IOS devices(Which took multiple hours) after a day-one upgrade made the device unbearably slow, I would never recommend upgrading right away. Give it a week or two, see what problems there are, and if needed, wait for the first patch.

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:33 pm

That's it?

Health icon that none of my apps connect.
Recents. It's ok.

I don't see anything else for the almost 1GB update.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:39 pm

We'll wait as well.

There's a WSJ review http://online.wsj.com/articles/apple-io ... 1410915709

They highlight changes to iMessaage and the keyboard, as well as being able to install 3rd party apps for keyboard.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:54 pm

I literally upgraded my devices to iOS7 last week. I thank all of you for beta testing for me. Be sure to let Apple know about your rapid battery loss, bad cellular connection, and security holes. I usually update at Service Pack 1 for Microsoft and x.1 for Apple unless an app I want requires it.

Gleevec

Post by Gleevec » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:22 pm

mmmodem wrote:I literally upgraded my devices to iOS7 last week. I thank all of you for beta testing for me. Be sure to let Apple know about your rapid battery loss, bad cellular connection, and security holes. I usually update at Service Pack 1 for Microsoft and x.1 for Apple unless an app I want requires it.
You're welcome, though I don't know if iOS7 has been fully tested. You may want to turn in your iPhone and get a Motorola RAZR which has a much longer track record and has been through alpha, beta, delta, and gamma testing unlike iOS7

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:03 pm

Gleevec wrote:
mmmodem wrote:I literally upgraded my devices to iOS7 last week. I thank all of you for beta testing for me. Be sure to let Apple know about your rapid battery loss, bad cellular connection, and security holes. I usually update at Service Pack 1 for Microsoft and x.1 for Apple unless an app I want requires it.
You're welcome, though I don't know if iOS7 has been fully tested. You may want to turn in your iPhone and get a Motorola RAZR which has a much longer track record and has been through alpha, beta, delta, and gamma testing unlike iOS7
Hahah, I actually still have my RAZR V3m in my desk drawer next to me. I no longer have Verizon service to go with it though. All kidding aside, unless there is a compelling feature you want like for WiFi calling, upgrading is fixing what isn't broken. If history repeats itself iOS 8.0.1 should come out in November to fix a connection issue.

yakers

Post by yakers » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:05 pm

The advice from my local Mac Users Group is to wait a bit. When the next update to the desktop OS10.10 comes out it will sync with iOS 8 through iCloud and until then there may be glitches getting desktop and mobile device to sync.

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:25 pm

I did my iPhone 5s today, no problems, feels like a very incremental update. If you have a Mac and use iCloud, do NOT enable iCloud Drive until Yosemite (the new Mac OS X version) is available.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:29 pm

yakers wrote:The advice from my local Mac Users Group is to wait a bit. When the next update to the desktop OS10.10 comes out it will sync with iOS 8 through iCloud and until then there may be glitches getting desktop and mobile device to sync.
Yup. Apple has repeatedly said certain functions will come to iOS 8 in October. This will presumably be in line with Yosemite's release. Unless something major comes up before then, this will be iOS 8.0.1.

curiouskitty

Post by curiouskitty » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:57 am

Its definitely a more polished OS. Works fine on my 4S although the battery was starting to go and I'm not sure iOS 8 helped.

Love the ability to get a notification when you get a response to a particular email. The autocomplete for messaging is also great.

chuppi

Post by chuppi » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:45 am

I have an iPhone 5 that works perfectly fine even though it is 2 years old. Also am taking good care of it because I don't want to buy new ones every one or two years. The only thing that is attractive to me is the wifi calling because the signal inside my home is not great. I am also preparing to switch form att to t-mobile because att does not support wifi calling.

Now it looks like apple won't support wifi calling on iPhone 5. It is supported in iPhone 5c/5s and they all apparently have the same hardware. In other words, Apple deliberately choose not to support so that people can throw away the old ones and buy the new ones. I am hoping someone figures a way around it.

goonie

Post by goonie » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:46 am

I have the 4S and will probably wait at least a couple of weeks to see what people say about how the 4S handles iOS 8. I’m a fairly light user but I still have concerns about performance and battery drainage.

However, I don’t think I want to stay on iOS 7 long term for security reasons. I found the articles below to be interesting...not because of the specific security flaws they discuss but because they mention that Apple usually doesn't maintain the old versions of iOS.

http://www.zdnet.com/ios-8-fixes-dozens ... 000033800/

http://www.cnet.com/news/ios-8-also-com ... ity-fixes/

crg11

Post by crg11 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:08 am

Definitely don't wait on older iOS versions, Apple usually only keeps the latest version up to date security wise.

wander

Post by wander » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:14 am

If you can, wait until 8.0x out after they fix bugs of 8.0.

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:22 am

Wow!

Usually updates don't impress me. This is great. (iPad mini)

Safari for me is so much much faster. It used to hang a little loading pages.

I like the changes.

Yeah nice!!!!
Last edited by in_reality on Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

goonie

Post by goonie » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:42 am

I think it’s pretty crummy that a phone that was considered Apple's premier phone for most of 2011 (the iPhone 4) is now no longer able to be kept up to date with security fixes. Nice 3 year life span there.

For those who don’t know, iOS 8 is not compatible with the 4.

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:50 am

goonie wrote:I have the 4S and will probably wait at least a couple of weeks to see what people say about how the 4S handles iOS 8.
Same here - I still love my 4S and don't want to mess it up.

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:55 am

goonie wrote:I think it’s pretty crummy that a phone that was considered Apple's premier phone for most of 2011 (the iPhone 4) is now no longer able to be kept up to date with security fixes. Nice 3 year life span there.

I think your assumption is a little false.

For example, the most recent security update to iOS 6.1.6 was Feb. 2014. iOS 7 was released in Sept. 2013.

I suspect there will be another iOS 7 release.

goonie

Post by goonie » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:14 am

in_reality wrote:
goonie wrote:I think it’s pretty crummy that a phone that was considered Apple's premier phone for most of 2011 (the iPhone 4) is now no longer able to be kept up to date with security fixes. Nice 3 year life span there.

I think your assumption is a little false.

For example, the most recent security update to iOS 6.1.6 was Feb. 2014. iOS 7 was released in Sept. 2013.

I suspect there will be another iOS 7 release.
I guess we'll find out. Versions 3, 4, and 5 didn't get any updates after their successors were released.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:38 am

chuppi wrote:I have an iPhone 5 that works perfectly fine even though it is 2 years old. Also am taking good care of it because I don't want to buy new ones every one or two years. The only thing that is attractive to me is the wifi calling because the signal inside my home is not great. I am also preparing to switch form att to t-mobile because att does not support wifi calling.

Now it looks like apple won't support wifi calling on iPhone 5. It is supported in iPhone 5c/5s and they all apparently have the same hardware. In other words, Apple deliberately choose not to support so that people can throw away the old ones and buy the new ones. I am hoping someone figures a way around it.
That's actually an overgeneralization. There were slight differences in the baseband and radios. But I agree that Apple probably could have made it work. Would have been nice to say all their LTE phones support wifi calling.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:07 am

I'm not an Apple user, but here are two articles that might influence your decision.

On the bright side: http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html

On the dark side: http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense ... src=fol_fb

anakinskywalker

Post by anakinskywalker » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:19 am

Totally agree with you. Also using iTunes just to move pics around is incredibly Stone-Age. I will stop using Apple devices as soon as my crappy AT&T contract ends in November. I'll move to Republic Wireless and never look back at Crapple devices ever again.

Anakin

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

So 5 total devices migrated: 3 total success, 2 lost data (needed to use backup).

walkabout

Post by walkabout » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:30 pm

anakinskywalker wrote:
Totally agree with you. Also using iTunes just to move pics around is incredibly Stone-Age. I will stop using Apple devices as soon as my crappy AT&T contract ends in November. I'll move to Republic Wireless and never look back at Crapple devices ever again.

Anakin
What do you mean "using iTunes just to move pics around"? What pics are you "moving around" and why do you need iTunes to do it?

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:38 pm

Wait a bit on the update!
-------
wageoghe wrote:
anakinskywalker wrote: .... Also using iTunes just to move pics around is incredibly Stone-Age...
Anakin
What do you mean "using iTunes just to move pics around"? What pics are you "moving around" and why do you need iTunes to do it?
I think he's probably talking about moving photos that were snapped with the iPhone's camera to a desktop, via the Sync function in ITunes.
That's my guess. I don't have a great solution to get those photos on to my Mac, either. My wife emails them to herself and I use justbeamit.

vesalius

Post by vesalius » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:40 pm

JamesSFO wrote:So 5 total devices migrated: 3 total success, 2 lost data (needed to use backup).
Well that sucks. I hope all is well now. I went 4 for 4 total success,

vesalius

Post by vesalius » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:42 pm

linenfort wrote:Wait a bit on the update!
-------
wageoghe wrote:
anakinskywalker wrote: .... Also using iTunes just to move pics around is incredibly Stone-Age...
Anakin
I think he's probably talking about moving photos that were snapped with the iPhone's camera to a desktop, via the Sync function in ITunes.
That's my guess. I don't have a great solution to get those photos on to my Mac, either. My wife emails them to herself and I use justbeamit.
Is this a PC desktop? All pics I take on my iphone or iPad are automatically transferred to my iMac via my photostream.

it works through iCloud or am I missing something?

iCloud photo sharing

walkabout

Post by walkabout » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:05 pm

I agree with vesalius. The photos should automatically be transferred to PhotoStream (iCloud service) and, from there, to any devices that are also connected to PhotoStream (like an iPad, Mac, or PC).

I will have to say that the Windows iCloud Control Panel app, which provides integration between iCloud and Windows seems to be of inconsistent quality. I don't log into our Windows laptop very often and, when I do, I sometimes find that the photos have not been automatically syncing from PhotoStream down to the pc. We just got a MacBook Pro and its PhotoStream seems to work much better (as one would expect).

Also, you don't need iTunes to sync photos from an iPhone to a PC. If you plug the iPhone into the PC you a dialog that lets you import your photos from your phone to your computer. It will copy the photos that you have taken since the last time you have synced.

I don't use iTunes (on the computer) for anything.

If you don't need iTunes for anything else (besides getting photos off of your iPhone), you can go into iTunes (not sure where, it has been a long time since I did it and I don't have iTunes installed anywhere right now to check) and set an option that says to NOT start iTunes whenever this iPhone is plugged in.

iOS 8 and OS/X Yosemite (to be released next month) improves Air Drop (which is currently available on both OSes, but currently only works for iOS-iOS and Mac-Mac transfers) so that you can use it to transfer between iOS and Mac. When that is available, it becomes super easy to transfer specific photos, on demand, from your iPhone to your Mac (and vice versa).
Last edited by walkabout on Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:16 pm

My iPhone 4S updated without a hitch. I'm hoping the battery life improves a little with the update. My 4S has been going through the battery at a good clip. I'll find out if it is the battery itself or if the update is more efficient.

A cool little feature is when you double-click to see what you have open, you get a list of Favorite and Recent contacts in small circles at the top.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

nomas

Post by nomas » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:05 pm

Updated my iPad2 without any problems.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:12 pm

anakinskywalker wrote:

Anakin
I am confused what you mean by this one Anakin. I do not use iTunes today to take photos off my 5S (using whatever photo import tool you prefer, use PhotoStream, email it, DropBox it, etc.), only to add to my 5S. With iOS 8, you don't even need iTunes to that anymore.

walkabout

Post by walkabout » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:45 pm

BrandonBogle wrote: I do not use iTunes today to take photos off my 5S (using whatever photo import tool you prefer, use PhotoStream, email it, DropBox it, etc.), only to add to my 5S. With iOS 8, you don't even need iTunes to that anymore.
You should not need iTunes to move photos from your computer to your iPhone even before iOS 8. PhotoStream and DropBox (and, I'm sure other Cloud solutions) also have an "upload" folder (or similar) on your computer. If you drag a photo into the "upload" folder on your computer, it will be visible on your iPhone.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:54 pm

wageoghe wrote:
BrandonBogle wrote: I do not use iTunes today to take photos off my 5S (using whatever photo import tool you prefer, use PhotoStream, email it, DropBox it, etc.), only to add to my 5S. With iOS 8, you don't even need iTunes to that anymore.
You should not need iTunes to move photos from your computer to your iPhone even before iOS 8. PhotoStream and DropBox (and, I'm sure other Cloud solutions) also have an "upload" folder (or similar) on your computer. If you drag a photo into the "upload" folder on your computer, it will be visible on your iPhone.
Agreed. Hence why I am confused by Anakin's statement. I was just stating it that way since those are more than out-of-the-box setups, but both are free and widely available (or in Photostream's case, preinstalled on your workstation).

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:00 pm

I did read this yesterday and notice the update available on my iPhone last night.

Thank you for the information.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Cash

Post by Cash » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:25 am

That phone is ancient in technology years. Doesn't even support LTE! We traded in my wife's long-deactivated iPhone 4 for $200 to ATT (we got iPhone 5's in 2012 and now have iPhone 6's). I think Verizon and the other carriers have similar offers if you act by the end of the month. You probably won't find a better deal anywhere else for such old technology, so I would advise taking advantage of it and upgrading to a 6 before your 4 is worthless :).

crg11

Post by crg11 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:57 am

anakinskywalker wrote:

Totally agree with you.
If you find this bad, then don't go do Android phones. Android is notorious for not having timely updates released, if any, due to the large # of different Android phones out there. It isn't uncommon for some phones to never get an update.

Apple actually has one of the best track records, if not the best track record, for supporting older devices.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/12/03/updated-r ... s-android/

BTDT

Post by BTDT » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:04 am

What are the "security fixes" in iOS8 that ends your iPhone 4 lifespan?
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.

crg11

Post by crg11 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:04 am

BrandonBogle wrote:
wageoghe wrote:
Agreed. Hence why I am confused by Anakin's statement. I was just stating it that way since those are more than out-of-the-box setups, but both are free and widely available (or in Photostream's case, preinstalled on your workstation).
And it'll get much better if the promised Photos app (which will replace iPhoto) due in early 2015 delivers. It's supposed to solve the great photo sync issues that we have today.

goonie

Post by goonie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:30 am

Cash wrote:

That phone is ancient in technology years. Doesn't even support LTE! We traded in my wife's long-deactivated iPhone 4 for $200 to ATT (we got iPhone 5's in 2012 and now have iPhone 6's). I think Verizon and the other carriers have similar offers if you act by the end of the month. You probably won't find a better deal anywhere else for such old technology, so I would advise taking advantage of it and upgrading to a 6 before your 4 is worthless :).
I don’t have the 4. I have the 4S. I was just commenting on how I think it's crummy of Apple to drop support of a 3 year old device.

As far as it being "ancient", what if you don’t care about LTE?

Also, you’re not going to get $200 from AT&T or Verizon for an iPhone 4. I just checked the AT&T trade in program and it quoted $50 for the 16G model. Gazelle quotes $55.

goonie

Post by goonie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:34 am

jvclark02 wrote:

Huh? The point was that now that iOS 8 is out, iOS 7 will no longer be maintained. And iOS 8 is not available to the iPhone 4.

Topic Author
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:00 am

goonie wrote:
jvclark02 wrote:

Huh? The point was that now that iOS 8 is out, iOS 7 will no longer be maintained. And iOS 8 is not available to the iPhone 4.
Where did you read that iOS 7 will no longer be maintained? This guy says it will be: http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/2458/app ... quote]With all of the hubbub around iOS 8, it's worth remembering that iOS 7 is still around and still being maintained by Apple. In fact, this week Apple rolled out an update, iOS 7.1.2, which offers bug fixes and security updates.[/quote]
Best Wishes, | Joe

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:06 am

We updated both an iPod touch and an iPad to iOS 8 on Saturday. In both cases it was necessary to delete some music and apps to free up enough space to perform the update. In iOS 7 there was a bug where you could not delete a music album by swiping to the album art to the left, at least on my machines. One needed to delete each song in the album individually, then the album went away. I am pleased to say that this bug has been fixed in iOS 8. I can now delete music albums in one swipe and a tap on Delete.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

goonie

Post by goonie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:11 am

JMacDonald wrote:
goonie wrote:
jvclark02 wrote:

Where did you read that iOS 7 will no longer be maintained? This guy says it will be: http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/2458/app ... quote]With all of the hubbub around iOS 8, it's worth remembering that iOS 7 is still around and still being maintained by Apple. In fact, this week Apple rolled out an update, iOS 7.1.2, which offers bug fixes and security updates.
[/quote]

Can you please go back and read the earlier posts in this thread? I'm not going to repost information that was already discussed.

Your link about iOS 7.1.2 is either old or bogus. 7.1.2 was released in June.

Cash

Post by Cash » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:17 am

goonie wrote:
Cash wrote:

I don’t have the 4. I have the 4S. I was just commenting on how I think it's crummy of Apple to drop support of a 3 year old device.

Also, you’re not going to get $200 from AT&T or Verizon for an iPhone 4. I just checked the AT&T trade in program and it quoted $50 for the 16G model. Gazelle quotes $55.
The 4S is ancient too. Why would one not want LTE? You like slow data speeds?

And you're wrong. I have already received $200 for my wife's 8GB iPhone 4. Did it on Friday. It's a separate promotion from their regular trade-in program. It runs through 9/30. I started a new thread about that:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=147332

goonie

Post by goonie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:31 am

Cash wrote:
goonie wrote:
Cash wrote:

The 4S is ancient too. Why would one not want LTE? You like slow data speeds?

And you're wrong. I have already received $200 for my wife's 8GB iPhone 4. Did it on Friday. It's a separate promotion from their regular trade-in program. It runs through 9/30. I started a new thread about that:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=147332
Maybe one doesn't care enough about LTE to go out and buy a new phone and contract just to get it.

As far as the $200 offer goes...that's interesting. I'll have to read up on it.

BTDT

Post by BTDT » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:00 am

Just traded in my wife's Verizon 4s for an iPhone 6 on-line - $200 trade-in credit for a $199 phone. I added a $99 upgrade to the 64GB version given I had to delete some pictures on my 5S in order to download iOS 8 @ 5+ GB
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.