OBi110 -or- Ooma Telo for home phone service?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
VictoriaF

OBi110 -or- Ooma Telo for home phone service?

Post by VictoriaF »

I am moving to a new apartment and want to start using telephone over my Internet connection. The two top rated products on Amazon.com are:
- Ooma Telo Free Home Phone Service, $140
- OBi110 Voice Service Bridge and VoIP Telephone Adapter, $46

Has anyone done a comparative analysis of these two products and can recommend one or the other? I don't mind paying extra $100, but I have recently seen a discussion that OBi will be supporting Google Voice, and that seems useful.

A related question: At work I am used to a Cisco IP Phone 7965, which has a large display. Is there a way to get this or a similar IP Phone with a large display working with Ooma or OBi? My Internet service will be provided by Comcast. I don't want to pay extra for a telephone service and thus I am only interested in whatever I can get out of my Internet connection.

Thanks!

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Cut-Throat

Re: OBi110 -or- Ooma Telo for home phone service?

Post by Cut-Throat »

I have only used and know about Ooma. But I have used Ooma for over 2 years and it has been flawless. I get free long distance to U.S. and Canada and Caller ID. I ported my old land line number over to Ooma for $30 and now the only phone bill I get is for $5 a month for taxes.

I use Comcast as well. As for using a phone. You just plug any phone into the Ooma Machine and it works. I use the Ooma Answering machine that is built into the unit.
Last edited by Cut-Throat on Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Cut-Throat wrote:I have only used and know about Ooma. But I have used Ooma for over 2 years and it has been flawless. I get free long distance to U.S. and Canada and Caller ID. I ported my old land line number over to Ooma for $30 and now the only phone bill I get is for $5 a month for taxes.
Right now I don't have a landline. I have a Google Voice number that I have never used. Does it make sense to configure Ooma with the Google Voice number or to get a new number? Does Ooma provide numbers?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Cut-Throat wrote:I use Comcast as well. As for using a phone. You just plug any phone into the Ooma Machine and it works. I use the Ooma Answering machine that is built into the unit.
I have an old cordless telephone that I can try, but I really like the large display of the Cisco IP phone that I have at work. For some reason I assumed that IP phones don't work with devices like Ooma and require a PBX, but I may be wrong.

Victoria
chaz

Post by chaz »

Magic Jack has been recommended, but I still use landline.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
tinkerman79

Post by tinkerman79 »

I have been using an Obi100 (older version of the 110) with a Google voice account over Comcast for the past 2 years.

It has worked flawlessly. The only feature missing from a phone perspective is 911 capability, but I have a cell phone for that.

Google voice allows free long-distance within US/Canada and you can also add credits for international calls directly into your Google Voice account. The per-minute rates for international calls are pretty competitive imo. I think I have spent close to $20 total in the last 2 years (for international calls) and $0 for domestic.

A minor caveat - you will need to plug the obi device into your internet router for best quality. And your phone plugs into the obi device, which means placing the phone's base unit close to the router. Unless you use a cordless phone, it may pose a challenge depending on where your internet router is located.

There is setup process to configure the obi, but it takes 5 minutes and it is well-described at www.obitalk.com.

Google keeps extending their free US/Canada calling every year. Some believe that they may stop doing this at some point and charge for the service, but it hasn't happened in the last 2 years.
Cut-Throat

Post by Cut-Throat »

VictoriaF wrote:
Cut-Throat wrote:I have only used and know about Ooma. But I have used Ooma for over 2 years and it has been flawless. I get free long distance to U.S. and Canada and Caller ID. I ported my old land line number over to Ooma for $30 and now the only phone bill I get is for $5 a month for taxes.
Right now I don't have a landline. I have a Google Voice number that I have never used. Does it make sense to configure Ooma with the Google Voice number or to get a new number? Does Ooma provide numbers?

Victoria
Ooma will provide a number for free. I opted to keep my landline number which was an extra charge. The Ooma can hook up wirelessly or wired to your home network.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

tinkerman79 wrote:I have been using an Obi100 (older version of the 110) with a Google voice account over Comcast for the past 2 years.

It has worked flawlessly. The only feature missing from a phone perspective is 911 capability, but I have a cell phone for that.

Google voice allows free long-distance within US/Canada and you can also add credits for international calls directly into your Google Voice account. The per-minute rates for international calls are pretty competitive imo. I think I have spent close to $20 total in the last 2 years (for international calls) and $0 for domestic.

A minor caveat - you will need to plug the obi device into your internet router for best quality. And your phone plugs into the obi device, which means placing the phone's base unit close to the router. Unless you use a cordless phone, it may pose a challenge depending on where your internet router is located.

There is setup process to configure the obi, but it takes 5 minutes and it is well-described at http://www.obitalk.com.

Google keeps extending their free US/Canada calling every year. Some believe that they may stop doing this at some point and charge for the service, but it hasn't happened in the last 2 years.
Thank you, this is great information. To clarify: I will have to place the following pieces of equipment in one place:
- Cable modem connected to the Comcast network
- Router
- Obi
- Regular telephone, which can be a cordless telephone base.

Right?

Victoria
tinkerman79

Post by tinkerman79 »

VictoriaF wrote: Thank you, this is great information. To clarify: I will have to place the following pieces of equipment in one place:
- Cable modem connected to the Comcast network
- Router
- Obi
- Regular telephone, which can be a cordless telephone base.

Right?

Victoria
Correct.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I have just ordered Obi 110 from Amazon. Is OBi Device Administration Guide (downloadable from http://www.obihai.com/docs-downloads ) an appropriate reference for installation, configuration and troubleshooting?

Victoria
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

The Cisco VOIP telephone is effectively a telephone with the OBi functionality (telephone to web interface) built into the telephone. The Cisco phone would plug directly into the router or it may be possible to plug the phone into the modem and your pc into the phone if you do not otherwise need router. In either case you will need to subscribe to a service provider such as voip.ms, anveo, callcentric or such. GV, with some limitations on features, serves as a free service provider. I'm sure Cisco has a list of service providers that are compatible with its device. The only drawback here is the price of the Cisco phone.

Ooma, like Vonage, combines the VOIP telephone adapter (OBi) with the service provider function. The monthly costs with Vonage and with Ooma are considerable higher than with Obi.

I have been using an OBi 100 with a multi unit Panasonic phone system for a couple of years and have no complaints. About every 12 months I have to pay voip.ms another $25. Not a bad deal.
Last edited by earlyout on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onyxlinkia

Post by onyxlinkia »

I've been using Obi110 for almost 3 yrs now and it has been working great for me. Google voice is now officially supported on Obi.

If I remember correctly, you can easily find the installation guide and steps from the website/support forum of Obihai. They seem to be overwhelming at first but if you follow step by step, it's not that bad at all. Good luck.

http://www.obihai.com/googlevoice
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

earlyout wrote:The Cisco VOIP telephone is effectively a telephone with the OBi functionality (telephone to web interface) built into the telephone. The Cisco phone would plug directly into the router or it may be possible to plug the phone into the modem and your pc into the phone if you do not otherwise need router. In either case you will need to subscribe to a service provider such as voip.ms, anveo, callcentric or such. I'm sure Cisco has a list of service providers that are compatible with its device. The only drawback here is the price of the Cisco phone.

Ooma, like Vonage, combines the VOIP telephone adapter (OBi) with the service provider function. The monthly costs with Vonage and with Ooma are considerable higher than with Obi.

I have been using an OBi 100 with a multi unit Panasonic phone system for a couple of years and have no complaints. About every 12 months I have to pay voip.ms another $25. Not a bad deal.
Thank you, earlyout.

The die is cast. An hour ago I have ordered OBi 110 to arrive tomorrow. If I run into any difficulties, I will voice them here.

Victoria
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

onyxlinkia wrote:I've been using Obi110 for almost 3 yrs now and it has been working great for me. Google voice is now officially supported on Obi.

If I remember correctly, you can easily find the installation guide and steps from the website/support forum of Obihai. They seem to be overwhelming at first but if you follow step by step, it's not that bad at all. Good luck.

http://www.obihai.com/googlevoice
Thank you, onyxlinkia, for the instructions.

Victoria
edwardc

Post by edwardc »

I haven't used the Obi devices, but the Obi202 might be worth the extra cost because of the quality of service (QoS) feature which enables VoIP prioritization over other applications that use your Internet connection.
whitenoise

Post by whitenoise »

I use Obi100 (not Obi110) and quite like it.

Just one tip though. If your Obi110 adapter goes offline too frequently (like once a day or more) even though your internet connection seems to be fine, follow the instructions in this Obitalk forum post and upgrade to the latest firmware.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

whitenoise wrote:I use Obi100 (not Obi110) and quite like it.

Just one tip though. If your Obi110 adapter goes offline too frequently (like once a day or more) even though your internet connection seems to be fine, follow the instructions in this Obitalk forum post and upgrade to the latest firmware.
Thank you, whitenoise,

The potential problem and an effective solution are duly noted.

Victoria
niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 »

Victoria,
I currently use both Obi adapter and Ooma.

Ooma: I bought the device when it first came out nearly 4 to 5 years back when it was a one time fee and no taxes. Now, we need to pay monthly taxes that total around $5. You can use any cordless phone connected to Ooma and you are set.

As for Obi, I linked my Google Voice phone number to this adapter, as per instructions at Obihai site. It is easy and straight forward. I then connected a cordless device to the adapter and I use that.

At my home (single family home), I disconnected the phone box connection to outside telephone wire. I then took the output from either the obihai or Ooma (one we use to connect to phone) and put that into the phone outlet in the room . Since all the phone outlets in the home are connected behind the walls, I can put a phone device to any outlet and it will work. So, if you buy your own big display device, you can plug it into an outlet near to the area you use most and the router and device can be in other room.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

niceguy7376 wrote:Victoria,
I currently use both Obi adapter and Ooma.

Ooma: I bought the device when it first came out nearly 4 to 5 years back when it was a one time fee and no taxes. Now, we need to pay monthly taxes that total around $5. You can use any cordless phone connected to Ooma and you are set.

As for Obi, I linked my Google Voice phone number to this adapter, as per instructions at Obihai site. It is easy and straight forward. I then connected a cordless device to the adapter and I use that.

At my home (single family home), I disconnected the phone box connection to outside telephone wire. I then took the output from either the obihai or Ooma (one we use to connect to phone) and put that into the phone outlet in the room . Since all the phone outlets in the home are connected behind the walls, I can put a phone device to any outlet and it will work. So, if you buy your own big display device, you can plug it into an outlet near to the area you use most and the router and device can be in other room.
Brilliant! Thanks a lot, niceguy7376,

Victoria
Pam01

Post by Pam01 »

niceguy7376 wrote: At my home (single family home), I disconnected the phone box connection to outside telephone wire. I then took the output from either the obihai or Ooma (one we use to connect to phone) and put that into the phone outlet in the room . Since all the phone outlets in the home are connected behind the walls, I can put a phone device to any outlet and it will work. So, if you buy your own big display device, you can plug it into an outlet near to the area you use most and the router and device can be in other room.
Thank you for the information, niceguy7376!

In case of an apartment, if we request phone company to disconnect the phone service and uses Obi or Ooma, do we need to do anything else (like disconnecting connection to the outside wire)? Or just start using the Obi/Ooma unit, which will then act as the "phone company" and supply voltage to all the phone outlets in the apartment?
DTSC

Post by DTSC »

I'm very happy with my Ooma. You can get a refurbished or used box from Newegg (sometimes) or eBay for about $90. I just pay <$4 per month in taxes.

Oops! I see you bought the Obi already
Last edited by DTSC on Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

Pam01 wrote:
niceguy7376 wrote: At my home (single family home), I disconnected the phone box connection to outside telephone wire. I then took the output from either the obihai or Ooma (one we use to connect to phone) and put that into the phone outlet in the room . Since all the phone outlets in the home are connected behind the walls, I can put a phone device to any outlet and it will work. So, if you buy your own big display device, you can plug it into an outlet near to the area you use most and the router and device can be in other room.
Thank you for the information, niceguy7376!

In case of an apartment, if we request phone company to disconnect the phone service and uses Obi or Ooma, do we need to do anything else (like disconnecting connection to the outside wire)? Or just start using the Obi/Ooma unit, which will then act as the "phone company" and supply voltage to all the phone outlets in the apartment?
If you do this, you must have the phone company (or someone else) disconnect your inside wiring from the outside wires. Otherwise your device will try to supply voltage to all the phone outlets in the world. :oops:
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

DTSC wrote:I'm very happy with my Ooma. You can get a refurbished or used box from Newegg (sometimes) or eBay for about $90. I just pay <$4 per month in taxes.
You can also buy a new one on Amazon for $129, and I believe there is a $30 rebate at present so it comes out almost the same as a used one.
DTSC

Post by DTSC »

technovelist wrote:
If you do this, you must have the phone company (or someone else) disconnect your inside wiring from the outside wires. Otherwise your device will try to supply voltage to all the phone outlets in the world. :oops:
I'm doing this already, but did not have the phone company do anything. I have had no negative consequences.
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

DTSC wrote:
technovelist wrote:
I'm doing this already, but did not have the phone company do anything. I have had no negative consequences.
Is it possible that they disconnected the wires when you canceled your service? Otherwise I would be worried about so far undetected negative consequences.
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

911 capability was very important to us (cell phone reception was not good at our previous apartment, and we have young children), so we went with Ooma. I gather that you can now pay a fee to get E911 via Obi. We're very happy with our Ooma at $4/month. Doesn't matter to you now that you've made your choice, though =).
Retirement investing is a marathon.
bandoba

Post by bandoba »

For folks using Obi, didn't it stop working around May 2014 due to Google removing support? Though recently I saw an e-mail from Obi saying it is now officially supported. I was using it till mid-May and then stopped using it once it went offline. I'm going to try it again but wondering if anyone else had similar experience or am I missing something.
William4u

Post by William4u »

bandoba wrote:For folks using Obi, didn't it stop working around May 2014 due to Google removing support? Though recently I saw an e-mail from Obi saying it is now officially supported. I was using it till mid-May and then stopped using it once it went offline. I'm going to try it again but wondering if anyone else had similar experience or am I missing something.
Official support ended and then started again, but my Obi110 continued to work just fine for me. I never stopped using it during its "unofficial" period.
Zapped

Post by Zapped »

@VictoriaF - I didn't see this thread earlier in the week, but I was glad to see tinkerman79's clear explanation of the ObiHai service and also that you finally decided on an ObiHai unit. When I read the ObiHai blog post last week which stated Google Voice support was officially back, I pulled the trigger on the supplied obi200 link for $30 from newegg (a $20 discount on their standard $50 price, which is supposed to already be a saving on the $100 MSRP).

I just received mine today, and setup with Google Voice was easy peasy. Call quality seems as good as my existing VoIP provider, but the price is right on this one - free. Well, not quite free since I went ahead and set up an e911 provider for $15/year since Google Voice is not an e911 provider.
- Jim in Austin, TX
bandoba

Post by bandoba »

William4u wrote:
bandoba wrote:For folks using Obi, didn't it stop working around May 2014 due to Google removing support? Though recently I saw an e-mail from Obi saying it is now officially supported. I was using it till mid-May and then stopped using it once it went offline. I'm going to try it again but wondering if anyone else had similar experience or am I missing something.
Official support ended and then started again, but my Obi110 continued to work just fine for me. I never stopped using it during its "unofficial" period.
Oh, wow. I should have tried before disconnecting it. Just did that last week. Anyways, good to see confirmation that its working again and officially supported.
noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye »

Just bought an Obi, which was on sale at Amazon for $30. Just set it up yesterday.

Created a new google account with a voice number (I want to keep my real google account "clean"), and the setup of the Obi was ready to make free calls in under 30 minutes. Comcast is the current ISP. The obi took a little while to get everything setup, but if you just give it 10 minutes to get everything setup - it seems to work well.

So far we have made a few local calls and the quality seems good. If you want 911, there is an extra service which is $15 / year to get 911 service in addition to Google Voice for the Obi units.

The only problem I have is convincing DW that we can drop a landline. As if 3 cell phones and a VOIP phone would not be enough. :oops:
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

noco-hawkeye wrote:Created a new google account with a voice number (I want to keep my real google account "clean").
I have a gmail address that I never use. Today, I picked a telephone number for Google voice, but have not associated it with OBi yet. Is there any advantage for me in creating still another Google account just for voice calls?

Thanks,

Victoria
Zapped

Post by Zapped »

Since you had never used that Google Voice number I would go ahead and use it for your new VoIP box.

Like noco-hawkeye, I also set up a "junk" gmail account with its own new random GV phone number but it was just for testing purposes.
- Jim in Austin, TX
noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye »

Re: creating the junk gmail account.

VictoriaF: What Zapped said, if you aren't really using it then you are fine to go ahead and start using it for this purpose.

The concern is that Obi has your google account information, or at least some of it. If that account information can somehow lead to something malicious occurring with your gmail account, that is a problem for me. If you're not really using that gmail account, then it's probably not a problem.