The Roosevelts, PBS special

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dbCooperAir

The Roosevelts, PBS special

Post by dbCooperAir »

I saw about half of this show last night, looking forward to rest of it plus the next two in the series.

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-roosevelts/

It seems well done thus far, thought some of you may enjoy it.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
linenfort

Re: The Roosevelts, PBS special

Post by linenfort »

Watched it last night. Loved it.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

If Ken Burns makes it, I'm watching it.
He has yet to disappoint me.
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

MathWizard wrote:If Ken Burns makes it, I'm watching it.
+1 :sharebeer
SimplyRetire

Post by SimplyRetire »

That is exciting!

I'll now have a show to binge on for the week. Thanks for the link.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

A wonderful way to learn history. :D
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

I hope it shows up on Amazon Prime (or other similar services) soon.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
chaz

Post by chaz »

jeff1949 wrote:
MathWizard wrote:If Ken Burns makes it, I'm watching it.
+1 :sharebeer
+2!
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

Check Roku's PBS channel.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

ieee488 wrote:Check Roku's PBS channel.
thanks, I will do that tonight.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

linenfort wrote:Watched it last night. Loved it.
Same here. Love anything Ken Burns does!
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

I recorded it. Correct me if I am wrong...I got 30 minutes of actual Roosevelt show, and 15 minutes of how great Ken Burns is and 15 more of PBS begging. Am I missing something?
Cut-Throat

Post by Cut-Throat »

Leesbro63 wrote:I recorded it. Correct me if I am wrong...I got 30 minutes of actual Roosevelt show, and 15 minutes of how great Ken Burns is and 15 more of PBS begging. Am I missing something?
Yes, you must be. I watched it last night. 2 hours of Uninterrupted Roosevelt.
furwut

Post by furwut »

You can stream all the episodes from PBS thru 9/28.

I just got an Apple TV this weekend so I'm looking forward to using the AirPLay feature to throw the stream from my iPad onto my TV. It gets me a much better picture than me just watching the scheduled broadcast through Comcast. Comcast will only give my a 480P picture - they purposely degrade the broadcast signal because I asked for just basic TV.
furwut

Post by furwut »

Leesbro63 wrote:I recorded it. Correct me if I am wrong...I got 30 minutes of actual Roosevelt show, and 15 minutes of how great Ken Burns is and 15 more of PBS begging. Am I missing something?
Yup. Each episode is 2 hours. Your timing must have been off. Seems like you got 1/2 hour of promo talk.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

My local PBS station showed the entire show for 2 hours, with no begging or adulation of its maker.
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

You probably watched the one-hour preview of the series. I saw that last month. The series is seven two-hours episodes. Here it started Sunday and will run through Saturday.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Duckie wrote:
You probably watched the one-hour preview of the series. I saw that last month. The series is seven two-hours episodes. Here it started Sunday and will run through Saturday.
Ah! Yeah, that does sound like what I watched. I'll need to figure this out better. Thanks!
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

I made sure to record this after watching the Mark Twain PBS special by Ken Burns.

I was amazed to learn how poor of an investor Mark Twain was -- too bad this forum wasn't around when he was alive :)
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Good stuff. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
spectec

Post by spectec »

my favorite TR quote from tonight's episode:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

Watched it last night, and we are "taping" it tonight (DVR), so DH can watch baseball.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Hooked on It :happy
All the Best, | Joe
hmw

Post by hmw »

furwut wrote:You can stream all the episodes from PBS thru 9/28.

I just got an Apple TV this weekend so I'm looking forward to using the AirPLay feature to throw the stream from my iPad onto my TV. It gets me a much better picture than me just watching the scheduled broadcast through Comcast. Comcast will only give my a 480P picture - they purposely degrade the broadcast signal because I asked for just basic TV.

I have an Apple TV. Instead of using airplay, you can get pbs on your Apple TV, and all 7 episodes are there. Easier than airplay.
Topic Author
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

Theodore Roosevelt had quite the family dynamic (I'm just about threw the first episode), mom and wife die within 24 hours, brother had some mental issues. One thing I did not realize is how much Theodore Roosevelt like being the big kid on the block, seemed to enjoy war in some twisted way.

Its been a great series thus far, hope to get caught up tonight.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
supton

Post by supton »

I watched Sunday's episode, and half of last night. Loved it. Going to have to switch to the online version, OTA is giving me some grief, plus the wifey does not enjoy the show. Plus to be truthful I can't make it through 2 hours myself...

I've been slowly working my way through a biography on Joe P Kennedy, and so this series is well timed for me.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

FYI, Doris Kearns Goodwin (a familiar face on any Ken Burns PBS project, including this one) wrote a wonderful book in 1995 called "No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in World War II". Well worth reading if you like all things Roosevelt. Lots of insight on the nature of their relationship, as well as a good look inside the FDR White House during the war.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

DW and I are now watching the second episode, and enjoying the series a lot.

I recommend it!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
JamesSF

Post by JamesSF »

Just saw the first 2-hour episode via the PBS app on Apple TV. Fantastic! Historical, and funny.
wenzee

Post by wenzee »

Soporific!

Three nights in a row I have fallen asleep in my chair watching the show.
Better than Ambien!

Wenzee :D
Topic Author
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

Mid way thru the 2nd episode, its starting to ramp up. I did not realize Theodore Roosevelt was how do I but this, a very colorful/powerful leader. If someone tried what he did today they would have tossed him out long ago.
cfs

Post by cfs »

TR in action

Was able to watch TR in action on PBS last night, at one point I was surprised on how bad he was looking after his expedition to The River of Doubt in Brazil, and he was only 50 years old then.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

cfs wrote:TR in action

Was able to watch TR in action on PBS last night, at one point I was surprised on how bad he was looking after his expedition to The River of Doubt in Brazil, and he was only 50 years old then.
Yes, I also was surprised at how those very old films clearly showed the progressive aging of TR. I already knew that FDR looked progressively haggard as he approached the end. I never knew the whole story of the "Bull Moose" thing. Teddy's 1912 3rd part run against incumbent Republican Taft and challenger Democrat Wilson was very similar to the 1992 election with incumbent Republican Bush1 being challenged by Democrat Bill Clinton, with the 3rd party Ross Perot.
Norris

Post by Norris »

spectec wrote:my favorite TR quote from tonight's episode:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
In case some don't know, our beloved Jack Bogle referenced this quote in his book "The Clash of the Cultures: Investment vs. Speculation" and editor Knut A. Rostad's book "The Man in the Arena" takes it's name from this quote. Both books are excellent reading!

Norris
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

wenzee wrote:Soporific!

Better than Ambien!

My wife has done the same thing all three nights. She told me this morning that she has learned that Roosevelts put her to sleep.

Her snoring has not prevented me from thoroughly enjoying the series so far.
Topic Author
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

Doom&Gloom wrote:
wenzee wrote:Soporific!

Better than Ambien!

My wife has done the same thing all three nights. She told me this morning that she has learned that Roosevelts put her to sleep.

Her snoring has not prevented me from thoroughly enjoying the series so far.
We call this "pre sleep" in our home.

And my wife does not snore, she purrs, that's what she tells me anyway.
Hawkeye_Saver

Post by Hawkeye_Saver »

FYI, not sure if its been mentioned but all 7 episodes can be viewed on PBS website. I'm on episode 6 right now.
Cut-Throat

Post by Cut-Throat »

Hawkeye_Saver wrote:FYI, not sure if its been mentioned but all 7 episodes can be viewed on PBS website. I'm on episode 6 right now.

Do you watch this on your Computer or do you stream it to your TV?

If streaming what App do you use?
Engineer

Post by Engineer »

Streaming with Chromecast---works flawlessly.

Engineer
Cut-Throat

Post by Cut-Throat »

Engineer wrote:Streaming with Chromecast---works flawlessly.

Engineer
So what app are you using to stream with Chromecast?
denovo

Post by denovo »

Cut-Throat wrote:

Engineer

Chromecast is an app itself. You stream the tab.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
PlasticGandalf

Post by PlasticGandalf »

Great series so far. I've not fallen asleep once.
Cut-Throat

Post by Cut-Throat »

Cut-Throat wrote:

Engineer
I have a "Smart TV" with a Web Browser and I just pulled up this series and can stream it. I would imagine that Chromecast is nothing more than a Web Browser. Correct?
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

TR was awarded the Medal of Honor, Noble Peace Prize and elected President of USA. Don't believe that has been done by anyone else.

I'm Dee lighted to be viewing it.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
Engineer

Post by Engineer »

It was TR's son (TR Jr) who was awarded the Medal of honor during WWII.
furwut

Post by furwut »

Cut-Throat wrote: I have a "Smart TV" with a Web Browser and I just pulled up this series and can stream it. I would imagine that Chromecast is nothing more than a Web Browser. Correct?
Chromecast is a HDMI dongle that plugs into the back of your TV. It connects to a wireless network and you can use apps loaded on your phone/tablet/laptop to direct it to play any content available on the internet.

It's in the same league as the Roku and Apple TV.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Teddy was fully qualified.

Awesome resume, TR was fully qualified for ANY office:

- Assistant Secretary of the Navy
- Governor of New York
- President of the United States
- Colonel, US Army
- CO, 1st US Volunteer Cavalry
- Spanish American War Veteran
- Combat Action, Battles of Las Guasimas
- Combat Action, Battles of San Juan Hill
- Politician
- Historian
- Author
- Explorer
- Conservationist
- Harvard University alumnus
- Columbia Law School alumnus
- Awarded Nobel Peace Prize in 1906
- Awarded Medal of Honor (Posthumously, 2001)

And the list goes on . . .
cfs

Post by cfs »

Engineer wrote:It was TR's son (TR Jr) who was awarded the Medal of honor during WWII.
Both, father and son received the Medal of Honor (President Clinton posthumously awarded TR the decoration in 2001).
Busting Myths

Post by Busting Myths »

dbCooperAir wrote:Mid way thru the 2nd episode, its starting to ramp up. I did not realize Theodore Roosevelt was how do I but this, a very colorful/powerful leader. If someone tried what he did today they would have tossed him out long ago.
They will probably say the same thing about our presidents in a hundred years. History is written by the victors...
6miths

Post by 6miths »

Great series. Recording it all.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain