How to ship automobile cross country?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Gort

How to ship automobile cross country?

Post by Gort »

Friends,
I may purchase an auto on Ebay. If so, I will need to ship it cross-country, about 2500 miles. Has anyone used the suggested Ebay shippers or did you find one yourself? Open transport is OK vs closed container.
Thanks,
Gort
Jack FFR1846

Re: How to ship automobile cross country?

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I'll make a couple suggestions in a second, but have to ask:

Why are you buying a car clear across the country? If it's a 1 of 20 existing 08 Lotus Elise California editions, then ok, I get that you really can't find one near you.

If you think you're saving money, consider that the condition may not be what you expect and add the $1000 shipping charge to that. Maybe you instead want to buy it near you.

Ok, so a couple to consider.

Stuart Transport. They ship a big % of Factory Five kit cars from Wareham, MA all over the country. When they come back, they are often empty. You may get a good deal from them and they are covered and own their trucks.

Interstate Transport: I haven't directly dealt with them but a world class restoration shop is right near me and they are always using them. I figure if they're using these guys for $100k+ cars, they must be pretty good.

Places to NOT use: USHIP: They are not a shipping company, own no trucks and you have no guarantee that the truck will even show up with them. They are a bidding company. Shippers bid on jobs. A common occurance is that a company bids low, gets the job and finds a job that pays more and simply abandons you.

The ONE question to ask any company you consider: Do you own your truck? If they say no, move on.

When I was being moved by my company from Virginia to Mass, there was a car in the truck. They needed the room so unloaded the car, put our household stuff in the truck and then the helper drove the car from Virginia to Mass. I'm sure the car owner expected that they would have saved the 700+ miles on his car by shipping it. Surprise.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
musbane

Post by musbane »

I don't disagree totally with jack above, but I just had an interesting and maybe relevant experience.

I bought a fairly rare car from a dealer in New Hampshire and needed to ship it to Seattle area. The car was 2 years old and had an extended Factory (not dealer or third party) warranty.

I made the serious mistake of allowing the dealer to provide the shipping. They hired a sleazy broker who did all the sleazy things Jack describes above and more.

After three weeks of broken promises and outright lies. I insisted that the broker be fired and handled the shipping myself.

I searched Internet forums and found a highly recommended broker called 'Angels moving cars' .

Eight days later, my car was delivered for $500 less than the dealer,s quote.

Not only that, but it was a pure pleasure dealing with them at all stages of the process.

Transportation brokers have an often well earned bad reputation, but there is at least one who plays straight.

Good luck
Topic Author
Gort

Post by Gort »

Jack FFR1846 wrote:I'll make a couple suggestions in a second, but have to ask:

Why are you buying a car clear across the country? If it's a 1 of 20 existing 08 Lotus Elise California editions, then ok, I get that you really can't find one near you.

If you think you're saving money, consider that the condition may not be what you expect and add the $1000 shipping charge to that. Maybe you instead want to buy it near you.

Ok, so a couple to consider.

Stuart Transport. They ship a big % of Factory Five kit cars from Wareham, MA all over the country. When they come back, they are often empty. You may get a good deal from them and they are covered and own their trucks.

Interstate Transport: I haven't directly dealt with them but a world class restoration shop is right near me and they are always using them. I figure if they're using these guys for $100k+ cars, they must be pretty good.

Places to NOT use: USHIP: They are not a shipping company, own no trucks and you have no guarantee that the truck will even show up with them. They are a bidding company. Shippers bid on jobs. A common occurance is that a company bids low, gets the job and finds a job that pays more and simply abandons you.

The ONE question to ask any company you consider: Do you own your truck? If they say no, move on.

When I was being moved by my company from Virginia to Mass, there was a car in the truck. They needed the room so unloaded the car, put our household stuff in the truck and then the helper drove the car from Virginia to Mass. I'm sure the car owner expected that they would have saved the 700+ miles on his car by shipping it. Surprise.
Good comments Jack. The car is a classic, appeals to the heart but not to the mind :happy . There are way too many unknowns to go forward with this including the shipping process. Ebay uses USHIP. I researched that out and you are correct - USHIP is a broker and finds the shipper for you. Could end up with multiple different truckers on a cross country transport. I reviewed EBay's shippers and they have a lot of cancellations which are not in the best interest of the consumer. What was I thinking :oops: Deal is off.
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

Jack wrote:
I just called them - but the spelling is: Stewart Transport.
They do not ship cars. They negotiate with another transport company.

Almost there
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I've bought several cars on ebay over the years. I live in rural Iowa where the pickings are slim if you want something specific so I've found that if I search around major metropolitan areas, I have a lot more luck. When I win the bid, I just buy a one way plane ticket out and do the shipping myself by driving it home. I've found it to be much cheaper than paying someone to do it for me, but then, I have the time.

I think if I had to ship a car from someplace I wasn't familiar with, I would start by calling up local mechanics in the area and asking if they have anyone they recommend. I find the mechanics generally have a good knowledge base on all things automobile including how to transport them long distances. If it is a fairly large place, I might find a place that deals specifically in collectible cars.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

This thread is in one of the other subforums:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=169968
GeauxBR

Post by GeauxBR »

Do a search for a local (near you or near the car) HotShot or transport company. Or ask a local dealer who they use when they do dealer swaps. My brother used to haul cars between infinity dealers in Houston and Baton Rouge. If it is a classic, i'd be sure to ask that it be shipped in an enclosed trailer.
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

I called Thomas Sunday who also recommended Inter City Transport who I have chosen. Will ship enclosed and not change trucks.

Almost there