Road Trip, New England to Cailfornia

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TheGreyingDuke

Road Trip, New England to Cailfornia

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:07 pm

My wife and I are setting out (October 9) on a four week auto trip, followed by two weeks in East Bay and LA. We are renting a car and leaving it there, flying back east in time for Thanksgiving (US).

So far we go from Providence, RI (family visit), to NYC (more family), Richmond, VA (yet more family), Charlottesville, VA (alma mater), through some old mining towns in W.Va., Beatysville, Ky (so research on prisons take us there), Chattanooga, New Orleans and then through Texas (Big Bend?) and on to CA.

We are hoping to visit some civil rights sites in the South, have some urban experiences here and there, while getting in some bicycling (our bikes will ride in the back of the rental.)

Any thoughts on stops to make near this itinerary as described, detours are fine.

Thanks
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

The529guy

Re: Road Trip, New England to Cailfornia

Post by The529guy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:13 pm

Assuming you're going to LA first, then East Bay:

If this sort of thing appeals to you, I recommend stopping to see Meteor Crater, which is east of Flagstaff, AZ, and a few miles off Interstate 40. It's pretty impressive.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:32 pm

Chattanooga has quite an impressive aquarium. And if you're into zoos, the zoo at Warner Park is interesting for what they have been able to do in a very small space. I went specifically to see the chimpanzees, some of whom had begun life here in Oregon. It's easy to do both in a day for a 'fish & chimps' visit.

denovo

Post by denovo » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:23 pm

How about DC and Philly, and Amish country?
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Sagenick48

Post by Sagenick48 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:43 am

The Biltmore near Asheville, NC. You have a couple of Civil War battlefield along the way, Chickamunga, mostly developed now, Lookout Mountain, both near Chattanooga, Shiloh, Vicksburg, and the National WW II museum in New Orleans. The Vicksburg and Chickamunga sites would be a good for biking. Lots of runners and bikes when I visited there. Shiloh is out of the way but would also be a good site to bike. There are iPhone apps you use on the battlefields.
The market goes up, the market goes down.

dickenjb

Post by dickenjb » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:40 am

Big Bend NP is one of the most underrated parks, probably due to its remote location. Be sure to do some hikes while there, The Window is fabulous. And be sure to have dinner at the theater in the Terlingua Ghost Town.

I also enjoyed Meteor Crater between Flagstaff and Winslow AZ. Thought it would be a tourist trap since it is privately owned but it turned out to be a memorable experience. Grand Canyon? South Rim is not far from Flagstaff. Hoover Dam and Las Vegas on way to LA?

laughlinlvr

Post by laughlinlvr » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:04 am

Recommend a trip on the Natchez Trace Parkway, which you can pick up west of Chattanooga in northern Alabama. From Natchez you could follow Big Muddy to New Orleans. You'll be near Angola State Prison (which may be of further interest to you) and the plantation country (which may not).
Investing - The hardest way to make an easy living.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:33 am

If you wish to route the portion of your trip from Chattanooga to New Orleans through Memphis, you should be able to find some prisons and civil rights sites. Take Hwy 61 from Memphis to New Orleans, and you will be very near both infamous prisons of Parchman in the MS Delta and Angola in LA.

There are civil rights museums/monuments in Memphis as well as in/near Clarksdale MS. A quick Google search should pop them right up for you. You would also be routed right by the National Cemetery in Vicksburg MS.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:43 am

Consider a visit to Harpers Ferry WV.
16% cash 48% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

chmcnm

Post by chmcnm » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:03 pm

West Virginia Penitentiary in Moundsville. They do haunted tours. I think they kept one of the Manson family there.

A little out of the way but Montgomery, Alabama has some Civil Rights monuments. You can stand where Rosa Parks got on the bus. MLK was also a minister there.

It's corny but Graceland was actually pretty interesting.

New Orleans is always fun.

ebabin

Post by ebabin » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:22 am

I drove through Saguaro National Park at dawn and it was very inspiring.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:40 pm

chmcnm wrote:A little out of the way but Montgomery, Alabama has some Civil Rights monuments. You can stand where Rosa Parks got on the bus. MLK was also a minister there.
A bit east of Montgomery, you can stop in Tuskegee and visit the Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site. I was headed for an overnight stop in Montgomery and got to Tuskegee a bit too late so the museum was closed, but I walked around a bit anyway.

Going from Montgomery to New Orleans, the ferry across the mouth of Mobile Bay is a nice ride if the weather is good, and it bypasses the traffic going through Mobile.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.