What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ruralavalon

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:13 am
LilyFleur wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:04 am Enola Holmes on Netflix. I liked it!
We enjoyed it too.

It made a nice change-of-pace from all the US, UK, EU and OZ cops/spies shows we've been watching during the pandemic.
Enola Holmes, on Netflix. Shetlock's little sister is abandoned by her mother, searches for her mother and has adventures. We enjoyed the movie.

Thanks for the recommendation :) .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB »

Just watched 7 days Entebbe. Very good movie.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

This topic is getting me to watch more movies. I like that!

"The Giant Mechanical Man"

Cute, quirky love story starring Jenna Fischer from The Office. She was also a producer, and she and the director fell in love during the filming, eventually marrying. Very watchable - solid performances, good writing, good cinematography. Overall not very long-term memorable though, with a pretty standard love story plot line, only a couple of twists, so maybe 7 out of 10 as a score.

Most of it was filmed in locations I am very familiar with. The filmmakers caught the right mood for each of those places in real life. Very impressive.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Oklahoma Crude (Faye Dunaway, George C. Scott) on TouTube
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

the Peanut butter Falcon. Fascinating, emotional, adventure, different.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

bighatnohorse wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:14 pm the Peanut butter Falcon. Fascinating, emotional, adventure, different.
Really good movie.
HopHead

Post by HopHead »

"How to be a Latin Lover" on Netflix.

I thought it was well-acted (the child actor is great), funny, a little long sometimes, and overall a feel-good movie.
Rotten Tomatoes summary: Maximo gets the surprise of his life when his wealthy, 80-year-old wife dumps him for a younger car salesman. Forced out of his mansion, he must now move in with his estranged sister Sara and her nerdy but adorable son Hugo. Anxious to return to the lap of luxury, Maximo hatches a scheme to seduce a widowed billionaire and live the high life once again.

"The Spy" on Netflix. Recommended by a previous poster. Sacha Baron Cohen stars in it and potrays real-life Israeli clerk-turned-secret agent Eli Cohen, who went deep undercover inside Syria on a perilous, years-long mission to spy for Mossad. I am getting ready to watch it again it was so well-done.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

A Dry White Season (1989) — Donald Sutherland, Marlon Brando, Susan Sarandon

A white middle class South African suburbanite with no interest in politics agrees to help his black gardener find his jailed son. His investigation opens his eyes to the horrors committed by the secret police and turns him into a target.

Filmed in Zimbabwe as S.A. would never have permitted it. Nelson Mandela was still in prison. Brando was great, he reportedly acted for free, well he did it for “scale”, or $4,000, for legal reasons, which was nothing for him. Sutherland also very good.

I recommend the film but some scenes are hard to watch, so beware. We streamed it on The Criterion Channel. It disappears from the channel on 1 October.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Cromwell on YouTube. Richard Harris as Oliver Cromwell. Alec Guinness as King Charles I.

A story of the 17th Century English Civil war and Oliver Cromwell's rise to become Lord Protector.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

Trailer: 'Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan'
Amazon Prime, October 23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rsa4U8mqkw
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

The Last Waltz, directed by Martin Scorsese, rockumentary of The Band final concert.
My personal DVD collection.
A Hall of Fame roster of friends delivering incredible performances with intimate interviews of the band.
Unforgettable. And then there's The Weight with the Staple Singers....
shavenyak

Post by shavenyak »

joe-kr wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:19 am
StevieG72 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:21 am Watched the Octopus Teacher last night, interesting movie. Would recommend, especially for those that enjoy snorkeling / diving.
I really enjoyed this too. It’s pretty amazing the dedication he showed in filming this and diving every day for a year. The connection it showed between him and his new friend is nice to watch as it develops. And I was impressed to watch him free dive and hold his breath.
Lastly, watching the octopus camouflage ability is so impressive.
Yes, big vote for My Octopus Teacher (Netflix) here. Even coaxed my wife to pull her face out of her phone on a Friday night. No small feat.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

Sir David Attenborough's “witness statement” for the environment: 'David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64R2MYUt394
In this unique feature documentary, titled David Attenborough: A Life On Our Planet, the celebrated naturalist reflects upon both the defining moments of his lifetime and the devastating changes he has seen. Coming to Netflix October 4 2020, the film addresses some of the biggest challenges facing life on our planet, providing a snapshot of global nature loss in a single lifetime. With it comes a powerful message of hope for future generations as Attenborough reveals the solutions to help save our planet from disaster.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

The King's Speech on YouTube. I was only ten years overdue seeing it for the first time, but it was worth the wait.

The one thing that caught my eye was the wording THE WEINSTEIN COMPANY a few seconds into the film. Of course, none of us knew anything about Harvey Weinstein ten years ago.
ensign

Post by ensign »

“Sorry We Missed You,” a British film that exposes the hopelessness of those in the “gig” economy.
davemcin

Post by davemcin »

Enola Holmes on Netflix. Fun movie
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

The Mirror Crack'd

An Agatha Christie adaptation with some big name stars:
Rock Hudson, Elizabeth Taylor, and Angela Lansbury, to
name a few. The movie has the ambience of a BBC Masterpiece
Theater production (which I mean as a compliment). Great humor,
inside jokes, and of course the quintessential who-done-it motif.
I enjoyed it.
Viewed on BritBox.
Last edited by wilson08 on Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Color Out Of Space on Shudder

Decent sci-fi/supernatural horror flick, based on an H.P. Lovecraft short story. One of the better film adaptations of a Lovecraft tale I've seen. Good production values, good acting, definitely worth watching if you're into weird, creepy, sci-fi horror.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Just watched the movie with Emily Blunt in it. I think it was called The Girl on the Train. Interesting. She sees something but she has a drinking issue and is trying to figure out what all is really happening. Lots of flashback scenes (not usually my thing). I got a little confused because I thought a couple people looked similar and wasn't sure if it was 2 different women or the same one :confused

This was on FXM or something like that. I had it recorded through YouTubeTV.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

American Pastoral on YouTube

"Ewan McGregor directs and stars alongside Jennifer Connelly and Dakota Fanning in this acclaimed film adapted from Philip Roth’s Pulitzer Prize-winning novel. Seymour "Swede" Levov (Ewan McGregor), a once-legendary high school athlete, is a successful businessman married to an ex-beauty queen, Dawn (Jennifer Connelly). When Swede and Dawn’s daughter (Dakota Fanning) disappears after being accused of a violent crime, Swede’s perfect life is broken forever and he is left to make sense out of the chaos."

Despite YouTube's description as acclaimed I found negative reviews on the Internet. I glad I didn't see those reviews first because I liked it.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:25 pm Color Out Of Space on Shudder

Decent sci-fi/supernatural horror flick, based on an H.P. Lovecraft short story. One of the better film adaptations of a Lovecraft tale I've seen. Good production values, good acting, definitely worth watching if you're into weird, creepy, sci-fi horror.
Username checks out.

I just pulled my HP Lovecraft short story collection off the bookshelf, and it's in there!
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

Enola Holmes ... I think it is waaaay overrated. The actress Millie Bobbie Brown is appealing and very very good but a weak story line and the pseudo feminist awareness didn't really give her much worthwhile material to work with. I would rate it 3 out of 5.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things ... is one of the most intellectually stimulating films I've seen in a long time. I won't say it is satisfying or easy to understand but its challenging and absolutely spell binding. I would rate it 4.5 out of 5.
telemark

Post by telemark »

tooluser wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:48 pm
Nyarlathotep wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:25 pm Color Out Of Space on Shudder

Username checks out.

I just pulled my HP Lovecraft short story collection off the bookshelf, and it's in there!
I'm going to have to watch that, just to see the color that was "like no other color ever seen." Of course, I've seen the Discworld movies and I still don't know what octarine looks like :D
MissHavisham

Post by MissHavisham »

I watched the Joker through my Apple TV using the HBO MAXX app.

It was freaky watching it in the context of "post covid." The movie was filmed pre covid and showed rioting and looting and it was scary because it was what has happened in real life. Prior to covid one might think "nahhh that'll never happen." Now, not so much.

It was interesting, weird, and alright.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Mr. Church on YouTube

Mr. Church tells the story of a unique friendship that develops when a little girl and her dying mother retain the services of a talented cook – Henry Joseph Church (Eddie Murphy). What begins as a six-month arrangement instead spans fifteen years, and creates a family bond that lasts forever.

Don't pay any attention to the reviews. Sure, it's not Academy Award caliber, but it's a nice little story.
zeppy

Post by zeppy »

I really appreciate people mentioning where they viewed a particular movie so I don't go searching all over Netflix for something that somebody had viewed on Amazon.
Thanks..............Zeppy
BisterMean

Post by BisterMean »

Beach Bum

Matthew McConaughey was made for it.
chanpras

Post by chanpras »

zeppy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:17 pm I really appreciate people mentioning where they viewed a particular movie so I don't go searching all over Netflix for something that somebody had viewed on Amazon.
Thanks..............Zeppy
+1
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

"Footlight Parade", a depression-era comedy musical on TCM. This goes hand-in-hand with "42nd Street" and "Gold Diggers of 1933", which I have also seen. They are all from Warner Bros. studios of 1933, with practically the same cast, even most of the supporting characters. James Cagney, Ginger Rogers, Joan Blondell, Ruby Keeler, Dick Powell, Guy Kibbee, even young Billy Barty amongst the three. Choreography by Busby Berkley, with racy dialogue, themes, and visuals, stunning and extravagant musical numbers that mesmerize. Spectacles to behold, jaw dropping. :shock:

I am also currently reading "The Forgotten Man" by Amity Schlaes (a history of The Great Depression), and it is interesting to line that book up with some of the movies' themes. Footlight Parade in particular ends with a giant American flag that turns into a picture of FDR, and then dancing/marching soldiers form the shape of the symbol of the National Recovery Administration.

It's amazing to me that the same studio could produce three very entertaining and lavish films in one year.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

pezblanco wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:51 pm Enola Holmes ... I think it is waaaay overrated. The actress Millie Bobbie Brown is appealing and very very good but a weak story line and the pseudo feminist awareness didn't really give her much worthwhile material to work with. I would rate it 3 out of 5.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things ... is one of the most intellectually stimulating films I've seen in a long time. I won't say it is satisfying or easy to understand but its challenging and absolutely spell binding. I would rate it 4.5 out of 5.
I stopped watching Enola after about 15 minutes.

I switched over The Devil All the Time. While I did finish the movie, it was a very depressing movie that I wish I didn't watch.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

La Femme Nikita, on DVD, rated R, 1990. In French with/without subtitles or English dubbed. A convicted female felon gets a 2nd chance as a trained assassin. This spy action / thriller was remade in 1997 and later spawned a TV series. This is the original, which won a lot of awards for a reason.

If you want a lot of special effects, look elsewhere. This movie grabs you with the dialog and plot. There's a lot of suspense interspersed with fast-paced action. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:51 pm La Femme Nikita, on DVD, rated R, 1990. In French with/without subtitles or English dubbed. A convicted female felon gets a 2nd chance as a trained assassin. This spy action / thriller was remade in 1997 and later spawned a TV series. This is the original, which won a lot of awards for a reason.

If you want a lot of special effects, look elsewhere. This movie grabs you with the dialog and plot. There's a lot of suspense interspersed with fast-paced action. I liked it.
This is a great movie. It deserved wider acclaim.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The White Balloon (1995, Iran) Aida Mohammad Khani, Director: Jafar Panahi

Several people try to help a little girl to find the money her mom gave her to buy a goldfish with. In this film we see the world through a child’s eyes. Unexpectedly interesting and enthralling. (Subtitled). Recommended.

The Mirror (1997, Iran) Mina Mohammad Khani (the sister of the actress in the previous film), Director: Jafar Panahi

When a young girl becomes lost in the hustle and bustle of Tehran, her journey turns into a dazzling exercise on the nature of film itself. In this ingenious and daringly original feature, world renowned director Jafar Panahi (The White Balloon, Crimson gold) has wrapped a blunt political critique inside the layers of a deceptively simple film. Some may find it overlong. (Subtitled). Also recommended.

Note: In later years the director was jailed by the Iranian regime and banned from the film industry for twenty years. I streamed both films on The Criterion Channel.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Creed (2015). I just saw it on TV. I very much enjoy the Rocky (and Rambo) movie franchises:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creed_(film)
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Les Miserables from my personal DVD stash
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Kid (1921) Charles Chaplin, Jackie Coogan, Directed by Charles Chaplin

The Tramp cares for an abandoned child, but events put that relationship in jeopardy. A charming silent film. Recommended.

I streamed it on The Criterion Channel.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Godzilla
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
bigb

Post by bigb »

Challenger: the last flight. Awesome four part documentary about he challenger space shuttle disaster on Netflix.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Amazon Prime has a good brand new just-released (2020) documentary about California's Proposition 13 and Howard Jarvis, who created it.
That was the property tax revolt in 1978 that is still in effect that freezes property taxes for homeowners until they sell the house (or sell it to buy another one).
The movie is called First Angry Man.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:44 pm The Kid (1921) Charles Chaplin, Jackie Coogan, Directed by Charles Chaplin

The Tramp cares for an abandoned child, but events put that relationship in jeopardy. A charming silent film. Recommended.

Also City Lights and The Gold Rush, among many other Chaplin silents. They'll make you laugh and cry at the same time.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

pezblanco wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:05 am
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:51 pm La Femme Nikita, on DVD, rated R, 1990. In French with/without subtitles or English dubbed. A convicted female felon gets a 2nd chance as a trained assassin. This spy action / thriller was remade in 1997 and later spawned a TV series. This is the original, which won a lot of awards for a reason.

This is a great movie. It deserved wider acclaim.
I saw this movie when I was 8yrs old at a friend's home (great parents :shock: ). Even then I knew it was fantastic.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:10 am
Nicolas wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:44 pm The Kid (1921) Charles Chaplin, Jackie Coogan, Directed by Charles Chaplin

Also City Lights and The Gold Rush, among many other Chaplin silents. They'll make you laugh and cry at the same time.
Yes, both are great films.

I just saw The Gold Rush (1925) again a few weeks ago (on The Criterion Channel). What I never realized is that it was re-released in 1942 with a voiceover narration by Chaplin and a slightly altered ending, the final kiss scene was excised.

I haven’t seen City Lights (1931) in twenty years so I want to watch that one again soon, Modern Times (1936), too.
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I don't watch a lot of subtitled movies since it requires me to read the movie which can be tiring but I did see Nikita which was good. I saw that one, the movie with Bridgette Fonda (I think) in English and also the tv series with Petra Wilson. Then the "new" series (2010) with Maggie Q. The series with Petra Wilson was my favorite with the actor playing Michael. The "new" series had a poor choice for Michael.

Lots of good foreign films out there but it takes effort to watch them and I'm often multi-processing when the tv is on and that is impossible with those films.
matti

Post by matti »

I watched "Bye Bye Man" and "They Come Knocking" this weekend. They were both a bit spooky and at least a bit entertaining.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

The Patriot from my DVD stash.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

bigb wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:15 pm Challenger: the last flight. Awesome four part documentary about he challenger space shuttle disaster on Netflix.
Related for Apollo 13 (50th anniversary) : the fascinating newly released story free on youtube told by Apollo 13 Cmdr. Jim Lovell himself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCgfawFAGW4
alexander29

Post by alexander29 »

Just rewatched "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" on Netflix. This is a screenwriter Charlie Kaufman movie, so you know it will be odd, but it's a great love story in an unexpected way. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet. Other Kaufman movies that get better with a repeated viewing are "Being John Malkovich" and "Adaptation." His stuff tends to be smart, funny, sad, and insightful, all at once. Top tier actors in all of them.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Columbo: Prescription Murder on Peacock Streaming

For the younger members, Columbo was an unorthodox detective long before Monk.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Shutter Island from my DVD stash.

“Would you rather live as a monster or die as a hero?”
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Just watched "My Octopus Teacher" streaming on Netflix after listening to the filmmaker on the Fresh Air podcast. I don't know why but this film made me super emotional. I am a little embarrassed to admit that I cried a lot from about halfway through to the end, but sometimes it helps to have a good cry. So try it out and cry it out! :)
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca