What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Kagord

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Kagord »

The Warriors (1979). Can you dig it!
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Kagord wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:45 am The Warriors (1979). Can you dig it!
"Warriors, come out to play".

I never saw the movie, but this quote is famous.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension »

Kagord wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:45 am The Warriors (1979). Can you dig it!
One of my all time favorites!

“You know, you’re just part of everything that’s happening tonight, and it’s all bad.”
Pick up a penny and soon you'll have many.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

All Quiet on the Western Front. Original 1930 version on Peacock Streaming.

I've seen it before, but that was a long time ago.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

DW and I currently binging on yet another long espionage series, “Strike Back”.
A British filmed series that I can actually understand conversations due to my new TV hearing aids.

Prior to this we finished, “Homeland”, “The Black List”, “Alias”, “The Americans”, “Covert Affairs”, “24”.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
NOgmacks

Post by NOgmacks »

Alabama Moon.
snowox

Post by snowox »

The Social Dilemma a Netflix original Documentary I strongly suggest!

Kill the Irishman on Netflix I also liked
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Dirty Dancing, at a drive-in movie.

In 1963, a summer romance at a vacation hotel in NewYork. A very good movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

bloom2708 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:48 am Greyhound on Apple TV +.

Tom Hanks is a WW2 battleship captain helping a fleet cross the Atlantic. U boats attacking.

Very action packed. Hanks is his usual self.

We got 12 months of + with a MacBook purchase.
I couldn't take how they repeated every command twice. And the Jaws music every time they showed the german sub.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

A Farewell to Arms (1932) Gary Cooper, Helen Hayes, Adolphe Menjou, from the book by Ernest Hemingway

An American ambulance driver and an English nurse fall in love in Italy during World War I.

It sounds like it would be good, from Hemingway’s novel after all, and with some top Hollywood actors, but ultimately disappointing. Though I always enjoy seeing Adolphe Menjou.

I streamed it on The Criterion Channel.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:28 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:22 am Pitch Black, on DVD, made in 2000. Sci-fi action / horror starring Vin Diesel. You won't fall asleep watching this one. I liked it.

It's the introduction to Riddick and the Chronicles of Riddick, which I have on DVD and will watch next.
Riddick unrated director's cut, on Blu-ray DVD. If you liked Pitch Black, you'll like this even more.
Elsebet wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:14 pm
CardinalRule wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:49 pm ...I didn't like the two sequels as much as the original, even though they clearly had more production money to spend on Chronicles. But all were fun.
I just watched the latest one, Riddick, and have to be honest when I lost interest about halfway through. That said I enjoyed Pitch Black and Chronicles especially because I love the Necromongers.
Chronicles of Riddick unrated director's cut, on DVD (not Blu-ray). I didn't think it was as good as Riddick, but I would agree they had more production money to spend on it. Not bad, though.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“The Post” with Tom Hanks on Hulu. Really liked it.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Flight 666 from youtube. An Iron Maiden documentary from an around the world concert tour. A must see for metal heads.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Gallipoli from my DVD stash.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:22 pm DW and I currently binging on yet another long espionage series, “Strike Back”.
A British filmed series that I can actually understand conversations due to my new TV hearing aids.

Prior to this we finished, “Homeland”, “The Black List”, “Alias”, “The Americans”, “Covert Affairs”, “24”.

j🌺
I enjoy these types of shows as well.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Ruben Brandt, Collector

Surrealistic animated film about a psychotherapist who employs
four of his patients to steal certain masterpieces that he believes
will end his nightmares that are associated with the paintings.
The movie features Picassoesque type characters and parodies of
famous paintings are sprinkled throughout the film. Fascinating once
you get past the outlandish format style and get into the rhythm of
the film. I enjoyed this movie.
Viewed at a theater before the pandemic.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I just finished the four Hunger Games movies.

There are many comments on those in this thread already, so bottom line is that as a sci-fi fan I enjoyed them though they were not perfect.

The first one was close to perfect. The second one ends on a cliff-hanger, which means that once you start the second one you pretty much have to view the remaining two to get any closure. The last two had some good moments but often felt like situations were arranged solely for the purpose of putting certain special effects into the movie, breaking one's suspension of disbelief. At the same time, the plot is actually rather deep and interesting, but probably too cerebral for many people who prefer more action.

I don't see how the economy in that world could actually work, but in some sense that's the whole point.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Mifune: The Last Samurai (2015)

A feature-length documentary about the life and films of legendary actor Toshirô Mifune, weaving together film clips, archival stills, and interviews with such luminaries as Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese. Narrated by Keanu Reeves.

Good documentary, we enjoyed it and we also like his films! Recommended.

We streamed it in The Criterion Channel.
Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

heartwood wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:00 am 20 Feet From Stardom on Netflix. It's a 2013 documentary about backup singers like Darlene Love and Merry Clayton. I didn't know before watching but it gets a 99% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and an 82% audience score.

Some great voices and some great video clips of the main acts they backed: Bruce, Sting, Stevie Wonder, plus one of David Bowie that rocked! Another scene of backups dancing for Tina Turner was electrifying and hot! Maybe too much talking.

Only on Netflix for a few more days.
Watched it per your recommendation. Very good.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“The Post” with Tom Hanks on Hulu. Was very good. About Washington Post and Pentagon Papers during Vietnam era.
Eowyn

Post by Eowyn »

Recently watched 2 Japanese films, both on DVD.

Aruitemo Aruitemo (Still Walking) 2008 - A family comes together to commemorate the anniversary of the death of the eldest son. A sweet and realistic portrayal - I liked it. The director Hirokazu Kore-eda has made several highly acclaimed films (including Shoplifters and Nobody Knows), and this movie incorporates elements of his real life.

Tengoku to Jigoku (High and Low, or Heaven and Hell) 1963 - Directed by Akira Kurosawa, stars include Toshiro Mifune and the incandescent Kyoko Kagawa. An excellent detective thriller that begins when a wealthy executive's son is targeted for kidnap. I highly recommend this classic.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Eowyn wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:36 pm Recently watched 2 Japanese films, both on DVD.

Aruitemo Aruitemo (Still Walking) 2008 - A family comes together to commemorate the anniversary of the death of the eldest son. A sweet and realistic portrayal - I liked it. The director Hirokazu Kore-eda has made several highly acclaimed films (including Shoplifters and Nobody Knows), and this movie incorporates elements of his real life.

Tengoku to Jigoku (High and Low, or Heaven and Hell) 1963 - Directed by Akira Kurosawa, stars include Toshiro Mifune and the incandescent Kyoko Kagawa. An excellent detective thriller that begins when a wealthy executive's son is targeted for kidnap. I highly recommend this classic.
How were you able to see it? Streaming, borrowed DVD ETC?
Eowyn

Post by Eowyn »

Dottie57 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:21 pm
Eowyn wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:36 pm Recently watched 2 Japanese films, both on DVD.

How were you able to see it? Streaming, borrowed DVD ETC?
On DVD
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

Do the Right Thing, by Spike Lee, 1989.

Interesting cultural and historical perspective.
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

wolf of wall street
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Fight Club, on DVD. Brad Pitt and Edward Norton star in this 1999 R-rated movie about a fight club. Lots of action, suspense, and plot twists. This movie kept my interest throughout, not to mention a few scenes that were hilarious. I liked it, but can't talk about it.*

* See the movie.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Thegame14 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:22 am wolf of wall street
Love that movie. I recently watched an episode of American Greed on it. Incredible.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Watched the Octopus Teacher last night, interesting movie. Would recommend, especially for those that enjoy snorkeling / diving.

Also watched Adrift, enjoyed this movie as well. Based on a true story about a sailboat disabled by a hurricane far from land, well before todays modern technology for navigation.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Great Outdoors, at a drive-in movie.

This is a comedy with John Candy and Dan Ackroyd. A family vacation in the northwoods, becomes a disaster when the obnoxious brother-in-law and his family show up uninvited.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:51 am The Great Outdoors, at a drive-in movie.

This is a comedy with John Candy and Dan Ackroyd. A family vacation in the northwoods, becomes a disaster when the obnoxious brother-in-law and his family show up uninvited.
Anything with John Candy is worth watching.

Two top contenders, BOTH directed by John Hughes as was The Great Outdoors:
Planes Trains and Automobiles (Steve Martin included!)
Uncle Buck (with bonus appearance by Macaulay Culkin back when he was adorable)

I guess that makes anything directed by John Hughes worthwhile as well.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
joe-kr

Post by joe-kr »

StevieG72 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:21 am Watched the Octopus Teacher last night, interesting movie. Would recommend, especially for those that enjoy snorkeling / diving.
I really enjoyed this too. It’s pretty amazing the dedication he showed in filming this and diving every day for a year. The connection it showed between him and his new friend is nice to watch as it develops. And I was impressed to watch him free dive and hold his breath.
Lastly, watching the octopus camouflage ability is so impressive.
joe-kr

Post by joe-kr »

Two fun low budget Netflix movies I recently enjoyed are:
ARQ: this is a fun action movie that brings Groundhog Day to mind. It has some interesting time related twists.

TAU: this is a bit silly and cheesy, but enjoyed it anyway. It’s about a genius inventor that takes a woman prisoner and he and his house are defended by his AI system.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Eowyn wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:36 pm Tengoku to Jigoku (High and Low, or Heaven and Hell) 1963 - Directed by Akira Kurosawa, stars include Toshiro Mifune and the incandescent Kyoko Kagawa. An excellent detective thriller that begins when a wealthy executive's son is targeted for kidnap. I highly recommend this classic.
As for Mifune’s non-samurai movies, I liked The Bad Sleep Well (1960), also directed by Kurosawa. Have you seen that one? I’ll be watching it again soon on The Criterion Channel. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054460/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

Jim Beaux wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:45 am
heartwood wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:00 am 20 Feet From Stardom on Netflix. It's a 2013 documentary about backup singers like Darlene Love and Merry Clayton. I didn't know before watching but it gets a 99% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and an 82% audience score.

Some great voices and some great video clips of the main acts they backed: Bruce, Sting, Stevie Wonder, plus one of David Bowie that rocked! Another scene of backups dancing for Tina Turner was electrifying and hot! Maybe too much talking.

Only on Netflix for a few more days.
Watched it per your recommendation. Very good.
Thanks—enjoyed it very much.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Project Ithaca. Interesting scifi concept, good acting by interesting actors, but not good writing.
As a result, not worth watching.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind (2019)
A heartwarming story of a Malawian family triumphing over adversity. It’s a good film, it made me value my first-world advantages and comfort, however briefly. Note: most films are about triumphing over adversity. It’s a true story and they showed the real people at the end. The actors were a lot better-looking than they were, also true of most films. We streamed it on Netflix.
matti

Post by matti »

I'm a sucker for Halloween, so I watched "The Legend of Halloween Jack" and "The Barn" this past weekend. Both have awesome thematic Halloween elements, but only one was good!
Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:12 pm The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind (2019)
A heartwarming story of a Malawian family triumphing over adversity. It’s a good film, it made me value my first-world advantages and comfort, however briefly. Note: most films are about triumphing over adversity. It’s a true story and they showed the real people at the end. The actors were a lot better-looking than they were, also true of most films. We streamed it on Netflix.
FANTASTIC!
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Private lives, 1931, Shearer, Montgomery
From the Noel Coward play.

Not a Marvel Superhero in sight.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Bad Sleep Well (1960, Japan), Toshirô Mifune, Kyôko Kagawa, Takeshita Shimura, directed by Akira Kurosawa

A film noir where a vengeful young man marries the daughter of a corrupt industrialist in order to seek justice for his father's suicide. Mifune and Kurosawa are both film legends. I’d have watched it based on the title alone! This is a good film, recommended.

I streamed it on The Criterion Channel.
Exchme

Post by Exchme »

What - nobody watches trash or is it that nobody admits to watching it?

I'll go first, I just finished the entire Fast & Furious series. I'll say it was for the stunts.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Enola Holmes on Netflix. I liked it!
telemark

Post by telemark »

Damn Yankees on DVD. This is the movie version of the musical that won seven Tony awards in 1956, so I had high hopes for it. What I found was
  • One famous song (Whatever Lola Wants) that you've already heard.
  • One amazing performance that you can easily find on YouTube
  • An impressively energetic hoedown set in a ball field that made me feel sorry for the performers.
  • One dated and embarassing song about cannibals eating missionaries and Indians scalping settlers that may account for why this movie is now so hard to find even on DVD.
  • More songs, not particularly good or memorable.
  • A story line that never fails to take the easy way out.
So, overall a disappointment. Fortunately Fosse and Verdon went on to better things.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Exchme wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:54 pm What - nobody watches trash or is it that nobody admits to watching it?
Not recently, but I watched the entirety of Jurassic Galaxy, with its truly awful 1990s CGI dinosaurs. It was made in 2018. It was just good enough to keep watching, like a more boring, less funny version of the Land of the Lost movie with Will Ferrell, which was also not that great.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Just finished my own 19th century British Navy mini-marathon with DVDs from my personal stash. First was the A&E Hornblower series. In eight DVDs it follows the career of Horatio Hornblower (Ioan Gruffudd) from a 17 year old midshipman to post-captain during the Napoleonic Wars. ( In case you don’t know what a post-captain is, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-captain ) The only problem I have with the series is the end. Mrs. Hornblower tells Horatio she’s carrying his child. And that’s it. No more. The end. I read that Gruffudd wanted to make more episodes, but A&E didn’t. So we’re left hanging.

But I supplied my own ending with my 1951 Captain Horatio Hornblower, starring Gregory Peck in the Hornblower role. In this story he returns home after an extended duty in the Pacific to discover he has a son, but his wife died in childbirth. How sad, or maybe not. During the time in the Pacific he rescued an English Lady, and they fell in love during the return to England. But he couldn’t pursue it because he was married. So she marries an Admiral. Bummer. But wait! The Admiral is killed in a battle. So we’re left with Hornblower and his Lady together at the end.

Being a glutton for 19th century British Navy I finished my marathon with Master and Commander with Russel Crowe.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

tooluser wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:25 pm
Exchme wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:54 pm What - nobody watches trash or is it that nobody admits to watching it?
Not recently, but I watched the entirety of Jurassic Galaxy, with its truly awful 1990s CGI dinosaurs. It was made in 2018. It was just good enough to keep watching, like a more boring, less funny version of the Land of the Lost movie with Will Ferrell, which was also not that great.
Since you mentioned bad movies with dinosaurs, I pulled out my old Caveman DVD tonight... Ringo Starr, Shelley Long, Dennis Quaid, Barbara Bach.... Bad. But it's supposed to be bad, so I guess that makes it OK.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

cheese_breath wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:19 pm Since you mentioned bad movies with dinosaurs, I pulled out my old Caveman DVD tonight... Ringo Starr, Shelley Long, Dennis Quaid, Barbara Bach.... Bad. But it's supposed to be bad, so I guess that makes it OK.
Whatever happened to Ringo’s movie career? :confused After A Hard Day’s Night the critics said he was the next Charlie Chaplin.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a post containing images which compared Ringo Starr to a political figure.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

LilyFleur wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:04 am Enola Holmes on Netflix. I liked it!
We enjoyed it too.

It made a nice change-of-pace from all the US, UK, EU and OZ cops/spies shows we've been watching during the pandemic.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“Once Upon a Time in Venice” with Bruce Willis and John Goodman on Hulu. Enjoyed it.