What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Petrocelli

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Petrocelli » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:29 pm

Ramjet wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:55 pm
Saw 1917 yesterday, best movie I have seen in a long time
I saw it for the second time yesterday.

It should have won best picture.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:30 pm

My instincts were right: Parasite is Best Picture.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:50 am

Glad I was able to see Parasite this weekend (at home, on FandangoNOW) before the Academy Awards.

Great Oscars night for a great movie. :happy

Ramjet

Post by Ramjet » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:00 pm

Petrocelli wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:29 pm
Ramjet wrote:

I will never forget the time Shakespeare in Love beat out Saving Private Ryan :oops:

House Blend

Post by House Blend » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:04 pm

By an odd coincidence, I saw a terrific recent South Korean film over the weekend that is not titled Parasite (#Oscars, #BestPicture).

The film that I did see (available on Netflix) is Burning, from 2018. Not sure how I missed this originally--it has a very long list of award nominations (including the Palme d'Or @ Cannes) and a substantial list of wins. But no Oscar love.

At the core it is a love triangle, and the plot unfolds by exposing the cultural contrasts between Suitor #1--a wealthy member of the leisure class--and Suitor #2, a recent college graduate with aspirations to be a writer. Early on we learn that Suitor #2 has family "issues" that keep him tied to the rural homestead where he grew up. So it is easy for status seekers to push him down even lower on the social totem pole.

However, there's more to the story, as it very gradually evolves into a mystery/thriller.

There was a key plot element in the second half that struck me as something I had read before in a novel, but I couldn't put my finger on it. After searching for reviews online I found out what it was: the screenplay is based on a short story I had read by Murakami. Having learned that, I can now think back and recall a number of indicators of the Murakami style.

Interesting bit of trivia: Suitor #1 is played by Steve Yeun, the actor perhaps best known for his role as Glenn on The Walking Dead.

Caution: This film is definitely not family friendly. I believe it is unrated, but probably deserves a hard R.

If you are a fan of Murakami, this is a must-see movie.
It's one of those films that stays with you.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:17 pm

Parasite

I did not particularly want to see this movie. The posters and
previews led me to believe it would be creepy and bizarre. My
daughter thought it was great and lobbied me to see it, and so
I did about a week ago before all the academy awards hullabaloo.

Indeed it was bizarre but very well done and filled with eccentric
elements that were intriguing. Without giving away the story
I can say the film had two distinct parts. The 1st half was comedic
and clever, highlighted by an orchestrated, seemingly brilliant scam.
The second half could be described as consequences and dilemma.
One caveat: there was one jarring sequence of violence that was
gruesome but it began and ended rather quickly and was not
throughout the movie.

Off-beat, creative, funny, and other-dimensional.
Viewed at a theater

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:34 pm

I liked Parasite a lot. Of course, I like a lot of Korean television and movies that I can find on YouTube and other streaming services. It is one of the few films that I tell people to go see but will not disclose the plot as I don't want to reveal any of the story.

For weeks, I skipped Parasite as I thought that it was a sci-fi movie. I am glad that I was told otherwise.

For the record, while I thought it was the best movie this year, I did NOT expect that it would actually receive any recognition beyond Best International Film.

It is a sha,e that Weathering with You, a Japanese animated feature did not receive a nomination for best international film.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:42 pm

Watched 45 minutes of The Laundromat on Netflix before I couldn’t take it anymore. Hard to imagine a movie with Meryl Streep, Antonio Banderas, and Gary Oldman being this bad. I get the director was trying to communicate how innocent people get screwed by a system that’s complex, but in the end can’t protect anyone but the sharks. For me it was just too incoherent and the story didn’t hold together. Maybe it would have succeeded as a CNN or CNBC documentary.

Luckily, Ford vs Ferrari just opened On Demand, and saved the night.

manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:24 am

JoJo Rabbit. I thought it was for kids because of the name, it's not.

I then watched Dr Doolittle, it was terrible.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:02 am

Artful Dodger wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:42 pm
...Luckily, Ford vs Ferrari just opened On Demand, and saved the night.
Thank you! I was wondering how long it would take. I'll watch it tonight - $5.99 on Amazon Prime.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:22 am

Charade, on Amazon Prime.

The movie stars Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn and Walter Mathau. This is a classic thriller set in Paris, with lots of plot twists, and I recommend it.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

nbwealth

Post by nbwealth » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:32 am

last night I watched about 50 minutes of Parasite movie and did not like it, so I didn't finish it. In my logic I see no attributes for this movie to win the Oscar IMHO.

kinetic2255

Post by kinetic2255 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:51 am

The last movie we saw in the theaters was Dumb and Dumber 2. Recently went to see 1917. It was a significant upgrade.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:31 am

kinetic2255 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:51 am
The last movie we saw in the theaters was Dumb and Dumber 2. Recently went to see 1917. It was a significant upgrade.
I can't put my finger on it, but there is something ironic about that.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:05 pm

Casablanca, on Amazon.

This classic drama stars Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman, set in French North Africa in 1941. I recommend this movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:44 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:05 pm
Casablanca, on Amazon.

This classic drama stars Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman, set in French North Africa in 1941. I recommend this movie.
Yes, there is something about this movie. According to Wikipedia "... it consistently ranks near the top of lists of the greatest films in history."

The cast didn't hurt:
  • Humphrey Bogart (a mediocre actor according to Henreid)
    Paul Henreid (a prima donna according to Bogart)
    Ingrid Bergman
    Sydney Greenstreet
    Peter Lorre
    Jack Benny (!) in an uncredited bit part. (according to Roger Ebert)
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:13 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:02 am
Artful Dodger wrote:
Thank you! I was wondering how long it would take. I'll watch it tonight - $5.99 on Amazon Prime.
Ford v Ferrari, on Amazon Prime. $5.99 HD rental. I don't know why it's "v" instead of "vs." in the title. In any case, the movie did not seem long at all to me. Plenty of action and drama.

Car enthusiasts might criticize a few of the liberties they took to overly dramatize a few things, but I thought it was entertaining. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:05 pm

bertilak wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:44 pm
ruralavalon wrote:
Casablanca, on Amazon.

Yes, there is something about this movie. According to Wikipedia "... it consistently ranks near the top of lists of the greatest films in history."

The cast didn't hurt:
    Ingrid Bergman
    Sydney Greenstreet
    Peter Lorre
I don't know about Benny, but for absolutely sure Claude Rains was in it. "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:40 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:13 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:02 am
Artful Dodger wrote:
Ford v Ferrari, on Amazon Prime. $5.99 HD rental. I don't know why it's "v" instead of "vs." in the title. In any case, the movie did not seem long at all to me. Plenty of action and drama.

Car enthusiasts might criticize a few of the liberties they took to overly dramatize a few things, but I thought it was entertaining. I liked it.
I enjoyed as well. We have a bit of a family connection. The #20 Ferrari driver who crashed in the Le Man’s race was my wife’s uncle.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:18 am

Fallible wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:05 pm
bertilak wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:44 pm
ruralavalon wrote:
Casablanca, on Amazon.

The cast didn't hurt:
    Ingrid Bergman
    Sydney Greenstreet
    Peter Lorre
I don't know about Benny, but for absolutely sure Claude Rains was in it. "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
Oops!

mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:37 am

Elsebet wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:26 pm
(warning, possibly minor spoilers)

The Avengers: Endgame

Before I explain what I liked / didn't like about this movie I want to explain that when I watched Avengers: Infinity War I honestly thought that was the last Avengers movie and I was beyond thrilled with the ending because it was unexpected and deliciously dark. When I found out that there would be another installment I was a little disappointed because I figured the superheros would figure out some silly way to undo what Thanos did. I guess I just like movies that end in surprising ways instead of the usual tropes. I also am not a comic book fan so I don't know much about the characters outside of the movies.

What I liked about The Avengers: Endgame was the humor and great acting. Honestly this is a really well performed movie with good pacing, beautiful cinematography, and great bits of humor flecked all through it. It is a 3 hour movie but entrancing the entire way through. (Minor spoiler here) My one bone to pick is the time travel plot, I really think it is the laziest thing a movie can do and am disappointed it went this route. That's the only thing I have against the movie. Maybe time travel is something normal in the comics but in my opinion only one movie has done time travel well and that is Primer.

I will definitely watch both movies again and try to contain my disappointment in Endgame enough to enjoy the 95% of the movie that is excellent.
[major spoilers]

I wasn't a fan of End Game when it came out. In fact, after Infinity War (probably the greatest movie so far of the Super Hero genre), I expected so much more. The time travel hi jinx left many open loopholes that they could have closed on screen (ie: at the end show Captain America go back and find the Ancient One and ask for her help). Given the budget, they could have also interacted more with their past selves on screen.

Also, I think they missed an awesome possibility in not having Cap wear the damaged Iron Man armor (damaged, so it shows parts of his face) in the scene against Thanos that he was given earlier in the movie.

... But on watching it again, it was an entertaining movie. Not nearly as good as Infinity War, but definitely some good scenes and clearly a great movie for the genre.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:32 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:13 pm
Ford v Ferrari, on Amazon Prime. $5.99 HD rental. I don't know why it's "v" instead of "vs." in the title.
“v” is a valid abbreviation for “versus”. https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... sus#note-1

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:43 am

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood.
s-okay

DW and I just finished binging on "Homeland", season 7.
Season 1 was outstanding, inner workings and behind the scenes of overseas CIA ops, etc.
Some political spin as it progresses but definitely alludes to modern issues.

Also finished binging on: Covert Affairs
DW enjoyed it.

Have watched most all of the series in the espionage genre.
Looking for another good one.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:27 am

“Megafault” on Hulu. Meh.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." || Buy Total Stock until it hurts. Then find a way to buy even more!

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:44 am

JoJo Rabbit.

I really really loved this movie.

I haven't seen a really GOOD movie in a while, but this one fit the bill.

It's not easy making a serious movie and a funny movie at the same time, and making it work. But they succeeded.

End of World War II in Nazi Germany (1945). Germany is losing... 10 year-old boy is totally caught up in Nazi propaganda (makes sense, it's all he's heard for his entire short life).

Discovers his mother is hiding a Jewish girl in their attic... Doesn't know what to do... All he knows is what the Nazis have told him... Great character development from there.

The genius is having a 10-year old boy say those ridiculous things. You can laugh at it, and be sad at the same time.

10-year-old boy: "Where are your horns? I thought all Jewish people had horns?"
Jewish girl: "They don't grow in until we're 21"
10-year-old boy: "Oh, I guess that makes sense".

10-year-old boy: "So what are Jewish people like?"
Jewish girl: "We're just like Germans, except human."

I really liked this movie.
The J stands for Jay

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:59 am

We also enjoyed Jojo Rabbit. Ford v Ferrari was pretty good as far as racing flicks go.

Parasite - we had no idea at all what to expect. Honestly the trailer made me not want to see it, but after seeing it, I think it's almost impossible to capture the film in a trailer. We only knew going in that it had won 4 awards. It definitely deserved them, it's a brilliant film - better than many past winners - we may see it again.

GeoffD

Post by GeoffD » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:13 am

My girlfriend did the Criterion Collection free trial. My last movie was Fellini’s Amarcord. We’ve been streaming Acorn content. The Brokenwood Mysteries, a New Zealand series. We have Parasite on Blu Ray. It’s OK in a Roma kind of way but if I’m going to watch Asian with subtitles, I prefer Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer, or the old Chow Yun Fat Hard Boiled.

I watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood on an airplane at Christmas. I need to see it again on the home theater but the Blu Ray is still full price.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:58 pm

Cunningham

Profiles unconventional dancer/choreographer Merce Cunningham with
some modern day interpretations of his work primarily from the 1942-1972
era. He did not like the term avant-garde but that was exactly how the
erratic, improv-like, abstract dancing came across.
The settings were imaginative; they could be outdoors, or an impressionistic,
surreal indoor set. I admired the sets but the dancing seemed to be chaotic
without elegance or structure. Perhaps that was the effect he was after but
not my cup of tea.
Modern dance aficionados may enjoy this.
Viewed at a theater.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:04 pm

Cool Hand Luke (1967) Paul Newman, Geo. Kennedy, Dennis Hopper, Harry Dean Stanton, Strother Martin, Ralph Waite

From IMDB: Luke Jackson is a cool, gutsy prisoner in a Southern chain gang, who, while refusing to buckle under to authority, keeps escaping and being recaptured. The prisoners admire Luke because, as Dragline explains it, "You're an original, that's what you are!" Nevertheless, the camp staff actively works to crush Luke until he finally breaks. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061512/?ref_=ttgf_gf_tt

I never saw this film back in the day so I just viewed it for the first time tonight, 53 years late. It’s entertaining enough but not sure what the message is. Basically Luke is an anti-establishment rebel who becomes a hero among his peers for “sticking it to the man”. I suppose that’s the message, it was a popular theme back then. The barracks (prison) camaraderie on display would have, I think, some appeal for military veterans. But what do I know never having served?

Contains the famous line "What we've got here is failure to communicate" delivered by Strother Martin. A long film for its time at 127 minutes, I came away feeling somewhat empty, so I recommend it with reservations. Or if you don’t have the time to devote to it then just forget this film. Good cast though, Harry Dean Stanton sings. He sounds a bit like Willie Nelson.

I watched it on broadcast TV (via TiVo).
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:06 pm

"Transporter 3" on Hulu. Was not bad.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." || Buy Total Stock until it hurts. Then find a way to buy even more!

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:38 am

The Call of the Wild was alright but very disappointing. It is the Wonder Bread version of what was an interesting novel. It was NOT a bad movie and most of the children in the audience liked it.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:19 pm

To Kill A Mockingbird, on Amazon Prime.

Excellent drama with Gregory Peck.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:41 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:19 pm
To Kill A Mockingbird, on Amazon Prime.

Excellent drama with Gregory Peck.
Great movie - enjoy it every time I have watched it. :happy

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:04 pm

Jojo Rabbit rented on Amazon... I like dark humor and offbeat stories, but this one left me lacking. I am not sure what the Oscar buzz was based on.
My wife flat out disliked it and went to bed early.
ScarJo (who I mostly like) did not appear to play a remarkable role and Adolf was fresh and entertaining but not moreso than an average SNL cast member on a good night.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:42 pm

Capsu78 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:04 pm
Jojo Rabbit rented on Amazon... I like dark humor and offbeat stories, but this one left me lacking. I am not sure what the Oscar buzz was based on.
My wife flat out disliked it and went to bed early.
ScarJo (who I mostly like) did not appear to play a remarkable role and Adolf was fresh and entertaining but not moreso than an average SNL cast member on a good night.
The first negative review I have heard about this one; everybody is gushing about it. FWIW, I get the feeling I'd like it about as much as you and your wife.

beehivehave

Post by beehivehave » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:49 pm

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood.
The usual garbage from the sadistic misogynistic director. I should have known better than wasting 2+ hours of my life on this.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:12 pm

Ramjet wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:00 pm
Petrocelli wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:29 pm
Ramjet wrote:

I will never forget the time Shakespeare in Love beat out Saving Private Ryan :oops:
I agree. Saving Private Ryan may be the only movie I’ve seen twice in a theater. I had watched it on my off and then some friends wanted to see a movie and decided to see it so I went along. Shakespeare I do have fond memories of simply because I saw it with a young lady on our first date. Although the relationship didn’t last it was special and we stay in touch even today.

StrawMan

Post by StrawMan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:18 pm

brajalle wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:59 am
We also enjoyed Jojo Rabbit. Ford v Ferrari was pretty good as far as racing flicks go.

Parasite - we had no idea at all what to expect. Honestly the trailer made me not want to see it, but after seeing it, I think it's almost impossible to capture the film in a trailer. We only knew going in that it had won 4 awards. It definitely deserved them, it's a brilliant film - better than many past winners - we may see it again.
Same as far as Parasite goes; Really enjoyed it. Great story, twist, everything - I see why it won so many awards now.

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:46 pm

“A Score to Settle” with Nic Cage on Hulu. Not bad.

barberakb

Post by barberakb » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:59 am

Ford vs Ferrari was great

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:07 am

I had to travel last week and on the plane I watched 2 things I enjoyed previously (Joker & Once Upon a Time in the West). The one I hadn't watched before was "The Kitchen". I was intrigued because I usually like anything Margo Martindale is in but I was a bit disappointed in this one. It just felt like everything came together way too easily/conveniently and the ending was very nonsensical, almost like they didn't know how to end it properly. I'm all for female leads in movies but this one felt very forced, almost as if it was trying way too hard to be a "me too" movement flick. it's too bad because it had a lot of actors I usually like (Domnhall Gleeson, Margo Martindale, Elisabeth Moss).
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:03 am

I enjoyed Wyatt Earp recently (starring Kevin Costner). It's been out for years but I never saw it. A western based on the life and times of the Old West lawman and gambler and his associates. Netflix.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:25 pm

"The Lehman Trilogy"

Directed by Sam Mendes and Ben Power.

This is a movie that was filmed of a play live on stage in London and is now being shown in smaller theaters by National Theatre Live.

"How do you tell an epic story with just three actors and a piano?"

I have seen this film twice. It is riveting. You've never seen anything like it. Only three extraordinary actors play all the parts, in the same costumes, in the same setting, with few props and backdrops, with only a piano accompaniment - they tell the Lehman Brothers story spanning 160 years, from its beginning in Montgomery, Alabama, to its bankruptcy in the 2008 recession. It's acting and story-telling at its best.

Here is the link to National Theatre Live "The Lehman Trilogy" with a preview and a link to find the closest movie showings.
http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk/pr ... an-trilogy

Here are some reviews, describing the film better than I can.
In the beginning, there is nothing. And in the end, there is --- nothing, once again.

Such is the way of all flesh, no? And, since the subject here is the accumulation of money, let's say the way of all cash, too. But in this case, out of nothing there emerges such a heaving ferment of aspiration, energy, tenacity and audacity that you're left reeling by the scope and vitality of it all.

That, in essence, is what the magnificent play "The Lehman Trilogy" at the Park Avenue Armory, both is about and, more important, simply is. This genuinely epic production out of London, directed with surging sweep and fine-tooled precision by Sam Mendes, charts the history of the financial institution that would come to be known as Lehman Brothers, from its humble origins to its epical implosion, over a span of three centuries and many generations.

A Magnificent Road to Ruin in "The Lehman Trilogy"
But what makes this work a ticket worth cashing in your gilt-edged securities for are its three extraordinary actors, who are the sole occupants of the vast Lyttelton stage for nearly 180 minutes. They are Simon Russell Beale, Ben Miles and Adam Godley. Behold them with wonder, humble theatergoer, for they are multitudes.

"The Lehman Trilogy" is a Transfixing Epic of Riches and Ruin
The set for "The Lehman Trilogy" is a giant glass box, an 800-square-foot rotating, transparent cube within which three extravagantly resourceful actors inhabit the dreams, doubts and ambitions of three siblings who founded a mighty financial empire, along with their various spouses, descendants and successors over the course of more than 160 years that ended in disgrace. If that encasement might give the impression of a museum piece, an airless history lesson, don't be fooled. This is theatrical storytelling at its most thrilling, a work of novelistic sweep and operatic crescendos, as rich in incisive character detail as it is in breathtaking visual coups.

Over three generations, the Lehman's trajectory steadily distances them, first from the raw materials they trade in and then from the industries for which they serve as brokers, until commodities like cotton, iron, coal, coffee, tobacco and even military arms become just words. The transition is complete when Philip Lehman, the first son born in New York, triumphantly declares, "We use money to make more money."

There's been no shortage of plays, movies and books dealing with the financial crisis. But "The Lehman Trilogy" stands apart because it has less interest in the mechanisms of the crash - or even in such standard subtext as the deification of wealth and the cult of greed - than in the ways the psychological groundwork for it all is woven into the very fabric of the American Dream.

"The Lehman Trilogy" Theater Review
Although the play is returning to New York in March 2020, you don't need to pay Broadway ticket prices. This film is perfect, far less expensive and you sit up front :happy

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:36 pm

Rear Window (1954) James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Thelma Ritter, Raymond Burr, Wendell Corey

A wheelchair-bound photographer spies on his neighbors from his apartment window and becomes convinced one of them has committed murder.

A great film from Hitchcock, we enjoyed it. I’ve seen it a number of times but not for the last 10-15 years. Grace Kelly was so beautiful. IMDB says Hitch cast Raymond Burr as the heavy as he resembled David O. Selznick :o. I looked up Selznick and there is a definite resemblance.

We spun one of our relative’s DVDs.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:15 pm

The Iron Orchard (2018) Ali Cobrin, Hassie Harrison, Austin Nichols.

From IMDB: the story of Jim McNeely, a young man thrust into the vibrant and brutal West Texas oilfields in 1939, who works his way through the ranks to ultimately become a formidable wildcatter. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7014234/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1

The film has some nice music, has good cinematography, and some interesting oilfield drilling activity if you’re into that, and cool-looking period cars in absolutely perfect condition. Otherwise the film doesn’t have much going for it. A Texas oil wildcatter strikes it rich and gets nasty, in that order, and has multiple problems with multiple girlfriends/wives. It’s not a true story but purely fictional, based on a novel. I didn’t identify with the main character at all. Sorry, it ain’t my cup of meat.

From the movie it seems that men in Texas in the 1950s did not remove their western hats indoors, even at fancy hotel functions. This struck me as odd but I have no way to check its veracity.

We checked the DVD out of our local public library.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:02 am

An Inspector Calls, on Amazon Prime.

In 1912 England a police Inspector investigates the events leading to a young woman's suicide. A good mystery, I recommend this.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:06 am

DW and I are binging nightly on "The Blacklist".
TV Series came out in 2013.
7 Seasons.
For decades, ex-government agent Raymond "Red" Reddington has been one of the globe's most wanted fugitives. But then he agreed to work with the FBI to catch his "blacklist" of mobsters, spies and international terrorists -- on the condition that he must work with profiler Elizabeth Keen. Red's true intentions -- choosing Liz, a woman with whom he seemingly has no connection -- are unclear. Does Liz have secrets of her own? Red promises to teach Liz to think like a criminal "to see the bigger picture," whether she wants to or not.
We've watched most of the espionage type TV Series for many years. This one is outstanding. Great editing/flow. Great acting. Great characters. Minimal wasted time on political ideological PC spin, or other spin issues, or movie fads.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:02 am

Meet Joe Black

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:19 pm

Cold War (2018) Zimna wojna (original title) Joanna Kulig, Tomasz Kot, Borys Szyc
English subtitles, B&W.

From IMDB: A passionate love story between two people of different backgrounds and temperaments, who are fatefully mismatched and yet condemned to each other. Set against the background of the Cold War in the 1950s in Poland, Berlin, Yugoslavia and Paris, the film depicts an impossible love story in impossible times. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6543652/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I enjoyed the gritty realism depicted of life behind the iron curtain. For some reason I’m fascinated with cold war movies as I lived through that time, albeit in the United States, never in Europe. I’m glad they chose to film it in B&W as it seemed to make it more real. Good music. Recommended.

We checked the DVD out of our local public library.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:00 pm

The Last Thing He Wanted New on Netflix. Ben Afflak and Anne Hathaway. Wanted to like it, but ultimately disappointed.