What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jjunk

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by jjunk » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:28 am

Joker - excellent movie IMO. Great acting, cinematography and score

Stuber - silly movie but a fun ride (no pun intended if you know what the movie is about)

The Game Changers (Netflix) - documentary about veg/vegan lifestyle and performance. Nothing new here if you know about veganism but some interesting high profile cameos

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:37 pm

Remake of Death Wish on Hulu with Bruce Willis. Not bad.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:18 am

Nightmare Alley (1947) Tyrone Power, Joan Blondell. A carnival mentalist hits the big time — briefly. Recommended. We saw it on broadcast TV but it’s on YouTube too.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. — J. Paul Getty

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:44 am

Nicolas wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:18 am
Nightmare Alley (1947) Tyrone Power, Joan Blondell. A carnival mentalist hits the big time — briefly! Recommended. We saw it on broadcast TV but it’s on YouTube too.
I have it on DVD. Good movie. Tyrone Power is always good. I love all those 30s-40s Noirs. That one is especially dark. It is not the typical gangster noir.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:09 am

JBTX wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:29 pm
Watched Fractured on Netflix. They completely Telegraphed where the movie was headed, which when they did end that way I thought "why did I just watch this?".
We watched last night and I felt quite differently. Well done movie. My wife, son and his GF were captivated. While the ending was somewhat expected, there were several times where I thought “no, I’m wrong, something else is happening.” I thought they set up the mind benders pretty well.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:20 pm

The Bookshop
Low-key but brilliant story of a young widow trying to
open a bookstore in a small English town against the
opposition of an embittered local influential woman
and her cronies.
Great acting and delightful justice.
Viewed on Amazon Prime.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:26 pm

This is a bit older (early 2000s?) movie called Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont. Cute, well done, very nice, but... I guess I won't say anything, to spoil it for anyone.

I saw the latest Spiderman and while I'm not into a lot of the superhero movies I thought this one was well done.

This isn't a movie but Hanna, the Amazon Prime series is interesting. There is also a movie but I haven't seen that.

Oh, I assume a few folks saw "Everybody's Fine" with DeNiro in it? To this day that movie annoys me. It was advertised as a comedy but it was very sad and definitely not a movie I want to watch when I'm looking for a comedy. There is a big difference between comedy and a sad drama.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:32 pm

rich126 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:26 pm
This isn't a movie but Hanna, the Amazon Prime series is interesting. There is also a movie but I haven't seen that.
The movie is much better

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:41 pm

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941) Spencer Tracy, Ingrid Bergman, Lana Turner. Based on the novella by Robert Louis Stevenson. A macabre experiment in the dual nature of man, good vs. evil, gone awry. It’s worth watching just for the camp value of seeing Tracy’s Mr. Hyde in action, he wasn’t very scary. A stellar performance by Ingrid Bergman as his victim.
It was borrowed from our local public library.

brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:06 am

John Wick 3. I liked it a lot better than #2.

I'm a few months behind normal people watching movies. I watched it for free on Amazon Prime due to soon to expire no rush shipping credits. The next batch expires 9 November: https://www.amazon.com/norushcredits

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:32 am

jjunk wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:28 am
If I generally can't stand Joaquin Phoenix, will I be able to enjoy "Joker" or should I just skip it altogether (as is my instinct)?

brookwright

Post by brookwright » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:33 pm

wilson08 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:20 pm
The Bookshop
Low-key but brilliant story of a young widow trying to
open a bookstore in a small English town against the
opposition of an embittered local influential woman
and her cronies.
Great acting and delightful justice.
Viewed on Amazon Prime.
Watched this based on your brief description. I think I'm a sucker for movies/books about bookstores. Much enjoyed this - Bill Nighy, Patricia Clarkson and Emily Mortimer were excellent. Thanks for the recommendation.

jjunk

Post by jjunk » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:46 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:32 am
jjunk wrote:
If I generally can't stand Joaquin Phoenix, will I be able to enjoy "Joker" or should I just skip it altogether (as is my instinct)?
If thats true, I'd probably tell you to avoid it. I dont love or hate him but I thought his performance was excellent in this movie. Enough that I'd say he deserves an Oscar nod (and even a win, depending on the competition). It's definitely not a typical superhero/villain origin story, if anything, its an excellent portrayal of mental illness run amok.

jjunk

Post by jjunk » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:54 pm

New movies this week for me included:
  • Zombieland #1: I dont like zombie movies but this was funny, if a bit over the top violent. I wanted to see this to see if the second movie was worth watching. Based on the first one, I plan to see the second. Not quite Sean of the Dead but entertaining
  • The Game Changers (Netflix): Movie about vegetarian/vegan athletes and the performance they've achieved. Not the best nor worst movie on the topic I've seen, nothing new if you've seen some of the others
  • The Art of Self Defense: very dark comedy about a scared man trying to learn how to protect himself by learning karate. I personally enjoyed it but my DW hated it and left. Again, VERY dark humor
  • Parasite: Very interesting film from Korea which focuses on the classism in society. Also fairly dark humor. I know people have talked about it being a potential Oscar nominee and I could see that
  • Jack of All Trades (Netflix): supposed to be a documentary about baseball cards and ended up being a whole lot more. Beginning is slow and the main subject is somewhat annoying but overall I thought it was interesting enough to watch
  • The Sound of Silence: I ended up turning this off halfway through, which is rate for me. It was just toooooo slow, even though the idea of the movie is somewhat interesting

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:57 am

Birth of the Cool.
Excellent biopic of the conflicted genius, Miles Davis.
I highly recommend it to those interested in music , jazz, or just 20th century history.

travellight

Post by travellight » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:04 am

jjunk wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:46 pm
mak1277 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:32 am
jjunk wrote:
If thats true, I'd probably tell you to avoid it. I dont love or hate him but I thought his performance was excellent in this movie. Enough that I'd say he deserves an Oscar nod (and even a win, depending on the competition). It's definitely not a typical superhero/villain origin story, if anything, its an excellent portrayal of mental illness run amok.
I think he deserves the win for his performance in this role. I think it’s the best male performance I’ve seen in a few years.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:15 am

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:00 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:57 am
bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:53 am
El Camino (Netflix).

Continues "Breaking Bad" and tells what happened to Jessie Pinkman after the final episode of BB.

Well worth it for BB fans.
Just found out about this movie.
DW and I planning to watch it this week.
j :happy
Would have watched it already but my wife is out of town and she'd kill me (possibly literally) if i watched it without her. For me, easily the most anticipated movie of the year.
I really appreciated a of wrap up of Pinkman. It did not fail me, thoroughly enjoyable. So of course, I started watching BB from the start. This is my 3rd time but I think I enjoy it just as much each time.
Too soon old, too late smart.

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:42 am

Watched the Fathom Events/TCM big screen presentation of “Lawrence of Arabia”. Still a most excellent movie, even if a bit more stately than most of the current crop.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:05 pm

The Little Traitor on Netflix. Nice little storyline if you can handle about 2/3rds subtitles. Likable characters in a coming of age setting.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:21 am

General Magic. It's a documentary about an early 90s computer startup. The founder's product idea was brilliant and he assembled a brilliant team. But the company went bankrupt and most people have never heard of the company. I highly recommend it.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:17 pm

Parasite, directed by Bong Joon-ho (The Host, Mother, Snowpiercer).

Recommended.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... ss-divide/

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:00 pm

El Camino, on Netflix. It got a bit confusing on the flashback vs. current time tracks, but the movie was very good.

A flashback scene with his former chemistry teacher was hilarious - subtle, yet very effective. Another scene near the end of the movie was in the style of Quentin Tarantino.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Elena

Post by Elena » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:12 pm

Joker (2019), and That Certain Woman (1937). Two excellent movies.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:21 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:00 pm
El Camino, on Netflix. It got a bit confusing on the flashback vs. current time tracks, but the movie was very good.

A flashback scene with his former chemistry teacher was hilarious - subtle, yet very effective. Another scene near the end of the movie was in the style of Quentin Tarantino.
I think El Camino illustrates a potential pitfall in making a movie from a TV show like "Breaking Bad". I liked the movie, but at the end I said "oh, hmm, that's it?". Probably a bad mindset going into it, but watching the show was such a slow burn, which so much that could be packed into a season, that I felt a little let down by the movie. I haven't yet watched the "Deadwood" movie, but I'm definitely lowering my expectations of what can be accomplished.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:40 pm

The Red Sea Diving Resort on Netflix. I thought it was very good spy flick- tense, action packed, "inspired by real events" although it appears they fluffed up the story line to have a strong ending.

beehivehave

Post by beehivehave » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:56 pm

LadyGeek wrote:

You mean sadistic gratuitous violence from which the director gets vicarious kicks?
No thanks.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:58 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:21 am
LadyGeek wrote:

I think El Camino illustrates a potential pitfall in making a movie from a TV show like "Breaking Bad". I liked the movie, but at the end I said "oh, hmm, that's it?". Probably a bad mindset going into it, but watching the show was such a slow burn, which so much that could be packed into a season, that I felt a little let down by the movie. I haven't yet watched the "Deadwood" movie, but I'm definitely lowering my expectations of what can be accomplished.
It was "good", but felt just like a (slightly) extended episode of BB. I was entertained, but honestly expected more.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:57 pm

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice

Profile of singer Linda Ronstadt beginning with her childhood in
the southwestern U.S. The documentary takes the viewer on an
odyssey through 1960s pop and other various music forms and genres
she ventured into over the course of her singing career.
Excellent documentary. Recommended.
Viewed at a a theater.

VeganBH

Post by VeganBH » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:20 am

LadyGeek wrote:

+1

DH and I just watched The Game Changers (produced by James Cameron, et al.). It features a number of professional athletes that have chosen plant-based diets for the health/performance benefits.
Recommend.
"Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace."​ ~ Albert Sc​hweitzer

Misenplace

Post by Misenplace » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:26 pm

A few off topic posts have been removed. Please be aware of our forum policies- medical advice are off topic. The reasons medical advice is not permitted in this forum:

1. This is an anonymous internet forum. It is not possible to verify anyone's identity (nor do we want to). Credentials also imply accurate advice, which may not always be the case.
2. There can be disagreement among experts, which can be harmful if someone is basing a medical decision on the advice.
3. A member's description may be incomplete.
4. Readers will misinterpret the member's description.
5. Readers will misinterpret the given advice.

Since real harm can be done, we do not permit medical advice and is the reason for the first sentence in: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Moderator Misenplace

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:01 pm

Midsommar

The movie is gorgeous! Beautiful location, soundtrack, gorgeous colors and costumes, great acting. Some parts of the plot lost me, I had a hard time believing the characters would remain after the things they'd seen. I think if they would have ordered the unfolding of the events just a little differently it would have been a 10/10 perfect movie.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:57 am

"Shooter" is getting played quite a bit on TNT/TBS. Watched it again and always enjoy that film.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:14 am

I saw Yesterday on a plane flight the other day. Very enjoyable!

MisterMister

Post by MisterMister » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:03 pm

Elric wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:05 pm
DW and I saw the documentary "Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice" in the theater earlier tonight. :thumbsup :thumbsup
Just got around to seeing that the past weekend. Really glad I saw it before the run ended. Outstanding; I really enjoyed it.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:16 pm

The Old Fashioned Way (1934) W.C. Fields, Baby Leroy. W.C. Fields at his best as the pompous bloviating vaudevillian “The Great McGonigle”. Written by “Charles Bogle”, one of Fields many pseudonyms. Recommended.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JBeck

Post by JBeck » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:22 pm

Anyone have a review of "The Lighthouse" for me?

Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:42 pm

Not one of the most recent movies I've watched, but a good one for those that like action/spy movies: Anna (2019).

Though I may like it more than others simply because the star of the movie reminds me of an ex girlfriend.

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:10 pm

Frozen Ground on Hulu. True story and enjoyed it.

KFBR392

Post by KFBR392 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:20 pm

jginseattle wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:17 pm
Parasite, directed by Bong Joon-ho (The Host, Mother, Snowpiercer).

Recommended.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... ss-divide/
For my money, the best film of 2019. Very few directors can balance so many different tones at once. Bong is a master at it.

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:57 am

wilson08 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:57 pm

Viewed at a a theater.
Love Linda Ronstadt, will try to seek this out.
My less highbrow contribution is I saw Zombieland, double tap. My sister talked me into it. I thought I would hate it, but when she told me Woody Harrelson was in it I gave it a try. I enjoyed it. I like Emma Stone, and she is in it as well. I think I would do ok in a post apocalyptic zombie world, lol.
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:28 am

The Kill Team. It is a true story of malfeasance by American soldiers in Afghanistan in 2009. I'd give it a 6 out of 10.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:57 am

Dead Poets Society

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:11 pm

The Game Changers on Netflix. Very good. Watching that guy lift that car was mind boggling !!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:09 pm

Love Contractually --- The South China Morning Post wrote "Although the script is occasionally implausible and the conclusion entirely predictable, the chemistry between the charming stars covers a multitude of sins" --- https://www.scmp.com/culture/film-tv/ar ... chang-lend

It was predictable but enjoyable.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:21 pm

The Irishman. Long and dull. The women chartacters are given absolutely nothing to do. The men are not at all interesting, although Al Pacino manages to liven up the proceedings a bit. I have seen some positive reviews about the movie, but that certainly was not my experience.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:52 pm

Saw it on Saturday for our anniversary. Obviously loosely based on historical events, but it was entertaining. My wife mentioned several times that it could have been 30min shorter (I do not disagree).

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:00 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:52 pm
Saw it on Saturday for our anniversary. Obviously loosely based on historical events, but it was entertaining. My wife mentioned several times that it could have been 30min shorter (I do not disagree).
I found it very entertaining and thought it was an excellent movie.

Dave

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:03 pm

wilson08 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:57 pm

Viewed at a a theater.

I concur, excellent movie and very informative too.

Dave

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:30 pm

DW and I saw Ford vs Ferrari and thoroughly enjoyed it. A long movie but it kept moving well. She's not a car person and I'm really not either but it's a good story.