What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sheepdog

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Sheepdog » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:56 am

Today I will be seeing "Gone With The Wind" on it's 80th anniversary. I can't guess how many times I have seen it since I first saw it in Atlanta during it's early showings at the Fox Theater in 1939 with my Mom and Sister. I was 6. I still enjoy seeing it.

It is interesting that I can remember that my mother thought about not going because Rhett Butler said "Damn" in it. "Frankly Charlotte, I don't give a damn." That was scandalous. Mother told me that was a bad word and to never say it to anyone. (She nor my Dad never did....amazing.)

Anyway, my wife and I are looking forward to seeing it again at 11am. Ahhh, the memories....
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:13 am

ruralavalon wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:49 am
bengal22 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:25 pm
ruralavalon wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:47 pm
South Pacific on Turner Movie Classics (TCM) channel.

This is a classic movie musical set on a Pacific island during World War II, starring Mitzi Gaynor and Rossano Brazzi.
Songs were great but I thought it was strange how they changed the coloring of the film and on some enchanted evening tune they added a dreamy border.
I also thought that was odd.
From the trivia section of IMDb for this film:
Concerned that the film's lush tropical settings would appear unnatural in Technicolor, and partially to cover up the fluctuations in weather during the shoot, director Joshua Logan hoped to soften the effect by filming several scenes through the newly available colored filters. He later indicated he considered this to be the biggest mistake he had made in his filming career. He wanted the filters to be subtler, but he says that the film processing lab had made them more extreme than he liked. There was no time to re-shoot without them or replace them because the film was a roadshow and tickets had been booked months in advance. However, according to his son Tom, when the film first became available on VHS and Mr. Logan watched it, he liked the filtered scenes.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052225/tr ... tt_trv_trv

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:47 pm

Free Solo

Although you know it is going to turn out ok, it is still harrowing
to watch Alex Honnold, on a difficult sheer mountain face, climbing
without ropes or any safety equipment. He is one misstep or wrong
move away from death. Great profile of determination coupled with
a passion (make that obsession) for for climbing.
Incredible camera work. Won the Academy Award for best documentary.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:52 pm

wilson08 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:47 pm
Free Solo

I cannot imagine being among those involved in the filming.

We know NOW that "all turns out okay", but they sure didn't know that at the time...
Yikes.

(And no, even knowing how it ends - fine! - I still will not watch it. :shock: )

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:58 pm

Re Free Solo if you want to watch it solo and for free, Alex did a TED Talk that's available here:
How I climbed a 3,000-foot vertical cliff -- without ropes.

It's only 12 minutes long so it won't be as detailed as the full movie but it's breathtaking nonetheless.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:46 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:52 pm
wilson08 wrote:
Free Solo

We know NOW that "all turns out okay", but they sure didn't know that at the time...
Yikes.

(And no, even knowing how it ends - fine! - I still will not watch it. :shock: )

RM
Without giving anything away there was a point in the documentary when one
of the cameramen on the ground, doing the long distance shots, had to look away
when the most difficult part of the climb on El Capitan occurred.

spitty

Post by spitty » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:26 pm

Free Solo is on Nat Geo channel tonight, commercial free at 8pm central.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:09 am

ResearchMed wrote:
wilson08 wrote:
Free Solo

Yikes.

RM
In my opinion, the story-within-the story about the making of the movie was nearly as fascinating as the story about Honnold. I think that was a big part of what made the movie so great.

coffeehubcap

Post by coffeehubcap » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:41 am

Amazon Prime....."The Widow".

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:27 pm

Free Solo on the National Geographic Channel last night. It is very deserving of the Best Documentary Oscar it received.

Glory (1989) on TCM a few nights ago. Recommended.

Fighting With My Family. I would probably would not have gone to see this if I had not read the review below that made it sound quite appealing. It follows the standard sports movie plot trajectory, but the characters, the family depicted, is lively, quirky and funny. Based on a true story. Recommended.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... ling-tale/

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:56 pm

We’ve been watching Clint Eastwood movies, Fistful of dollars, A few dollars more, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. We didn’t like the Good, The Bad, and the Ugly as much as the other two, too long I think. Then we switched over to watch a bunch of sphagetti western movies, basically to take a break from Clint Eastwood movies.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:48 am

This week's movies:

The Mule - a pretty good movie staring Clint Eastwood

Ralph Breaks the Internet - Creative idea but I found myself dozing throughout.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:26 pm

’’Now you see me’’ on FXMovies....W/ Morgan freeman, woody harrlson, mark ruffalo, & supporting cast. A drama about magic and the like.

’’ 0verdose; the next financial crisis’’ on amazon prime.
Last edited by aspirit on Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:29 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:56 pm
We’ve been watching Clint Eastwood movies, Fistful of dollars, A few dollars more, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. We didn’t like the Good, The Bad, and the Ugly as much as the other two, too long I think. Then we switched over to watch a bunch of sphagetti western movies, basically to take a break from Clint Eastwood movies.
But the Eastwood movies you mentioned are spaghetti westerns :confused

Godot

Post by Godot » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:30 pm

Get Me Roger Stone

Netflix documentary about quintessential dirty trickster political operative. Offers insight into current WH chaos.
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:04 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:29 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
They are, these are specifically labeled Sphagetti Westerns. The only common is the actor Lee Van Cleef. Actually we wanted to rent the movie The Star is Born, but they didn’t have the Blue Ray version, so we had to go back and watched these sphagetti westerns instead.

I often has to go through every single movie to make sure they are good quality if not I’m returning them.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:05 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:04 pm
Nicolas wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
They are, these are specifically labeled Sphagetti Westerns. The only common is the actor Lee Van Cleef. Actually we wanted to rent the movie The Star is Born, but they didn’t have the Blue Ray version, so we had to go back and watched these sphagetti westerns instead.

I often has to go through every single movie to make sure they are good quality if not I’m returning them.
I love all those Eastwood movies, esp. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, I don’t mind the length. The music and atmosphere are great, and I like Lee Van Cleef & Eli Wallach! I didn’t like Eastwood’s later movies as much, though The Unforgiven is pretty good.
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

walkabout

Post by walkabout » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:17 pm

A Night’s Tale. Really. I thought it was a lot of fun. For Victoria fans, the actors who played Lord M and Lord Palmerston were major characters. Also, Marc Antony from Rome (HBO).

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:34 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:09 am
ResearchMed wrote:
wilson08 wrote:
Free Solo

Yikes.

RM
In my opinion, the story-within-the story about the making of the movie was nearly as fascinating as the story about Honnold. I think that was a big part of what made the movie so great.
Agreed! Watching the photographers deal with the stress of their endeavor was really interesting. I enjoyed the movie but was very stressed out throughout it, even though I knew how it ended. I felt such a part of the action (which led to the stress) but I suppose one sign of a well-made documentary is one where you feel like you're right there on El Cap with Alex and the crew.

RL1013

Post by RL1013 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:04 pm

anoop wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:50 am
Full Disclosure -- a free < 20 min chick flick which I think everyone should watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFXKcNMCRTM

(I saw it a few months ago.)
Loved it.

barreg

Post by barreg » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:25 pm

Layer Cake on Netflix. Very strong cast. Daniel Craig (of James Bond fame) is a middleman in an organized crime group, and plans to get out. Mayhem ensues and drags him into things he can't avoid.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:58 pm

Nobody Knows (Japan 2004) & Shoplifters (Japan 2018) both directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda. Both movies are about unconventional Japanese families.

The first is about a family consisting of a young mother with four children all of different fathers, none of whom are present. She rents an apartment in Tokyo with her eldest, a son twelve years old. She then smuggles her other three children in, two hidden inside luggage, and forbids them from venturing out as the terms of her lease only permit one. Eventually she leaves for Osaka and abandons the children, leaving the eldest in charge who has to somehow provide for and protect them all. The film is based on the Sugamo child abandonment case.

In the second film, which is the first Japanese film to win the Palme d'Or since 1997, we have another unconventional family of five with only two actually related to each other. They’re a family of small-time criminals, doing some part-time low-wage work and partly subsisting on the fruits of shoplifting, a skill taught to the kids who are quite proficient. They find a little girl neglected by her family and surreptitiously take her in as their own.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:50 pm

Prizzi's Honor (1985) Jack Nicholson, Kathleen Turner, Angelica Huston, directed by her father, John Huston, his last American film. A violent tale of a couple of “hitpersons” involved with a New York crime family. A comedy-drama.
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:21 am

barreg wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:25 pm
Layer Cake on Netflix. Very strong cast. Daniel Craig (of James Bond fame) is a middleman in an organized crime group, and plans to get out. Mayhem ensues and drags him into things he can't avoid.
For those who enjoyed Snatch and Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, this movie is right up that same alley.

jpsfranks

Post by jpsfranks » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:34 am

Apollo 11

It's an amazing 1.5 hour documentary on the first moon landing told entirely with recordings and archival footage (including some 70mm), no narration. I saw it at the local IMAX and I would suggest seeing it on the biggest screen you can.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:32 am

Nicolas wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:05 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:04 pm
Nicolas wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:

I love all those Eastwood movies, esp. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, I don’t mind the length. The music and atmosphere are great, and I like Lee Van Cleef & Eli Wallach! I didn’t like Eastwood’s later movies as much, though The Unforgiven is pretty good.
I agree, my husband and I just love the music. I have another set of dvds from Clint Eastwood to go through, but only one modern movie in there, I think it’s Play Misty for me. I’m debating whether to get some of the Dirty Harry movies. But these two sets will keep us occupied for a few weeks. Just to go through and make sure each movie is good, otherwise we return them.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:37 am

hoops777 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:21 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:11 pm
Traveler wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:49 pm
I have now tried twice to watch Roma and have only gotten about 55 minutes in. I can't do it. It is probably the most boring movie I have ever seen. If it takes more than half the movie to start getting remotely watchable, I can't waste my time.
I got into a pseudo-argument with a co-worker the other day; they pretty much suggested I was "not cultured" because I simply did not understand what the fuss was about. I watch a movie to be entertained, it was terribly boring (I actually finished it) and why is the lead actress getting so much praise when she did (and said) almost nothing for 2hrs? Anyway, it was better than "Crazy Rich Asians". It is getting to the point that if a film gets a lot of critical acclaim and great reviews early on, I almost assume I won't like it.
I too think Roma is very overrated.I also agree with the comment on the lead actress.The story did not enlighten me on anything that I did not already know and it was not compelling in any way.Crazy Rich Asians was at least lively and had some energy but was not a great movie.

I was bored to death with Roma and made it through about 30 minutes. I like to be entertained and Roma was not entertaining to me. I think I have way more low-brow tastes. I definitely preferred Crazy Rich Asians to Roma since you brought it up. Also, just saw Fighting With my Family and was very pleasantly surprised. Also loved Green Book. Good movie.

PinotGris

Post by PinotGris » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:17 pm

Paterson with Adam Driver and the pit bulldog, Marvin. A very cool, sublime movie. No torture, ghastly murders, no politics. About living, loving, writing poetry. It made me very happy to watch it.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:44 pm

They Drive By Night (1940) Geo. Raft, Humphrey Bogart, Ida Lupino, Ann Sheridan. From IMDb: “When one of 2 truck driving brothers loses an arm, they both join a transport company where later, the other is falsely charged as an accessory in the murder of the owner.” Great performance by Ida Lupino! A fun film noir, and maybe the first trucking film ever.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:11 am

High Noon. Gary Cooper and Grace Kelley.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:11 am

Topper on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) channel.

This is a classic comedy starring Cary Grant, Constance Bennett, Roland Young and Billie Burke. Ghosts of a fun living couple try to help a hen pecked banker loosen up.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:26 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:11 am

This is a classic comedy (1937) starring Cary Grant, Constance Bennett, Roland Young and Billie Burke. Ghosts of a fun living couple try to help a hen pecked banker loosen up.
One of my favorites. It was a good movie in general but Roland Young was by far my favorite. If he didn't invent it, he sure polished up the part of the henpecked husband. I remember seeing him, occasionally, in other movies which was always a thrill.

Oddly, when looking him up on IMDB I could only find one other movie I recognized -- King Solomon's Mines. I am pretty sure that's not the only other movie (or TV show?)I have seen him in. I thought he played a higher-up in some spy or police organization.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:43 pm

wilson08 wrote:
Free Solo

Free Solo is amazing.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:52 pm

bertilak wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:26 pm
ruralavalon wrote:

This is a classic comedy (1937) starring Cary Grant, Constance Bennett, Roland Young and Billie Burke. Ghosts of a fun living couple try to help a hen pecked banker loosen up.
One of my favorites. It was a good movie in general but Roland Young was by far my favorite. If he didn't invent it, he sure polished up the part of the henpecked husband. I remember seeing him, occasionally, in other movies which was always a thrill.

Oddly, when looking him up on IMDB I could only find one other movie I recognized -- King Solomon's Mines. I am pretty sure that's not the only other movie (or TV show?)I have seen him in. I thought he played a higher-up in some spy or police organization.
Roland Young and Billie Burke were also in Topper Returns.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:03 pm

Watched "The Sahara" last night streaming from Amazon. It was much better than expected and it felt relativley fresh for a 2005 action/adventure movie. It also evoked a surprising amount of nostalgia since we had listened to the original novel on "Radio Reader" with Dick Estell (a long time ago).

I had a couple of fails this past week... quit watching "Sand Sharks" and "Return of the Killer Tomatoes" after only a few minutes because they were so bad (and I am a fan of this kind of movie).

Dantes

Post by Dantes » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:47 pm

bertilak wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:

I wonder if you are thinking of Leo G. Carroll, who played Topper in the television series. He had an appearance and mannerisms similar to Roland Young, and was a "higher-uo" in North By Northwest.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:17 pm

Dantes wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:47 pm
bertilak wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:

I wonder if you are thinking of Leo G. Carroll, who played Topper in the television series. He had an appearance and mannerisms similar to Roland Young, and was a "higher-uo" in North By Northwest.
You are exactly right! NXNW was the movie I was thinking of. Yes, the Topper movies and TV series run together in my head.

Both Young and Carroll were excellent as Topper. I remember Young scenes from the movie: sitting on the log, riding in the car. Leo G Carroll shows up everywhere! Not so much Roland Young.
Last edited by bertilak on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:51 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:11 am
Great film! I liked his girlfriend Helen Ramirez (Katy Jurado) better.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:56 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:51 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:11 am
Great film! I liked his girlfriend Helen Ramirez (Katy Jurado) better.
Yeap, I did too. I didn’t know she’s a famous actress from Mexico, a femme fatale of the silver screen, first Latino actress to earn an Oscar.
For a while I couldn’t tell that was Grace Kelley even, I had to look up the Castro make sure.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:06 am

King Solomon's Mines, on Turner Classic Movie (TCM) channel.

This is an adventure film shot in Africa, hunter Allan Quartermain guides a brother and sister searching for her missing husband. This 1950 movie stars Stewart Granger and Deborah Kerr.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:12 am

DW and I watched the new "A Star is Born" with Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga...........

It was OK.........Perhaps our expectations were a bit too high going into the movie. We still rated it 4 out of 5.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:29 am

"The Hunger Games".....first one.

My DW finally convinced me to watch this stupid flick.......so....during a Saturday night snow storm (last night)........I conceded.

OMG.........what a terrible plot / story line.....probably one of the worst movies I had ever seen.....total train wreck. I would not even give it a rating.......it was that bad......perhaps if there was a "Negative Rating" option (less that zero) I would have chosen the worst rating available..... DW says I don't have an open mind........perhaps I don't but for those folks that think this stuff is entertainment............OMG....may the spirits be with you........ :shock:

She said there are four more "The Hunger Games" flicks available.........my reply....... I watched it twice last night........my first time and my last time. 8-)

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:24 am

I tried to watch Free Solo last night, but I failed after I saw one guy felt down the deep cliff and then a parachute was opened. So I went on to watch another Clint Eastwood movie , Hang’Em High.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:38 am

ruralavalon wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:06 am

This is an adventure film shot in Africa, hunter Allan Quartermain guides a brother and sister searching for her missing husband. This 1950 movie stars Stewart Granger and Deborah Kerr.
On a Roland Young hunt?

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:43 am

"Free Solo" was on NatGeo this morning. Kind of nerve-wracking to watch.

SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:17 pm

thewizzer wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:53 am
Paddleton, on Netflix. Starring Ray Romano.

It was a really, really good movie. Dealt with friendship and end-of-life issues. Had me laughing and holding back tears equally. Highly recommended.
Just finished Paddleton as well. Very good movie.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:39 pm

After the Thin Man, on Turner Classic Movie (TCM) channel.

This is a three murder mystery set in San Francisco, starring William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:35 pm

Triple Frontier. An exciting heist adventure movie now available on Netflix. It stars Oscar Isaac and Ben Affleck. The director is J.C. Chandor (Margin Call).

Recommended.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... -soldiers/

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/06/movi ... =google_kp

telemark

Post by telemark » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:20 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:06 am

The Quatermain books are worth reading. H. Rider Haggard held a minor government position in South Africa during the Boer war, so underneath all the romance is a very real knowledge of place. I don't know if any of that finds its way into the movie.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:48 pm

Cold War (2018)

Slow, subtle love story against the backdrop of a
dreary communist Poland. Time frame is 1949-1960s
with the black and white motif working perfectly for
this film. Lots of twists and turns and a brief change
of setting, via Paris, livens things up just a little.
I liked this movie but view the trailer first.