What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Valuethinker
Posts: 39072
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:15 am

StandingRock wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:07 am
"Westworld". I've seen it several times. Still creepy as heck when Yul Brynner grins and says "Draw." I don't know if that kind of on screen persona will ever be duplicated.
Michael Crichton could really write.

The Andromeda Strain is pretty good too.

User avatar
Go Blue 99
Posts: 873
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:42 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Go Blue 99 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:17 am

Others have brought up this movie in this thread, but I loved the 2018 sci-fi movie "Upgrade". Great mix of sci-fi, humor, and action. If you liked "Ex Machina", definitely check out "Upgrade". It is playing on Cinemax.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6499752/?ref_=nv_sr_1

User avatar
Peculiar_Investor
Posts: 1308
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:23 am
Location: Calgary, AB
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:33 am

SoAnyway wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:27 am
SoAnyway wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:19 pm
6miths wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:45 pm
'Bohemian Rhapsody'. DW and I both loved it. DW said the critics didn't like it and indeed Rotten Tomatoes Critics is 59% and 49 on Metacritic but Audience is 93% and 85 respectively. I don't know if the critics missed the 70s and 80s and the HIV epidemic but it was a powerful depiction of the trial of a very talented man and those around him. Will see it again.
Thanks, 6miths, both for your (and Ms. 6miths) endorsement, and the interesting data points on critics vs. audience. Candidly, I really don't care what non-GenX critics think; I'm looking forward to seeing "Bohemian Rhapsody". Anyone of a certain era will "get it". Those who aren't (understandably) won't. That's ok - They had the Rolling Stones, or The Beatles, or Frank Sinatra, or Britney Spears, or Taylor Swift, or whomever "spoke" (or better said, whose work still "speaks") to them. Bottom line: Rational as most BHs are and aspire to be better at (self included), there's a place for that place that artists speak to, no matter their medium....

Like A-Commoner, I was in college when the AIDS epidemic hit. Freddie Mercury, nee Farrokh Bulsara, was a musical genius, a brilliant performer, and had the amazing magical ability to make every single person in a stadium of 100,000+ people believe that he was speaking directly to just THEM. BTW, no need for anyone reading to take this random internet stranger's word for it - The likes of David Bowie, Roger Daltry, et al. have said as much. (see link above)

I was saddened when he died (RIP), and maybe saddened even more years later that he didn't live long enough to benefit from the amazing medical developments that have transformed HIV/AIDS from the certain death sentence it was in the 80s to the no doubt difficult, but very manageable, condition it is these days. Had he lived just a bit longer, perhaps we'd all have benefitted even more from his extraordinary talents.
Finally saw "Bohemian Rhapsody". Wow. Just "Wow".
This is absolutely a must-see for anyone who rocked out to "A Night at the Opera" back in the 70s or who was at Wembley or JFK in Philly for LIVE AID in the mid-80s, i.e. my generation's version of Woodstock. (As both Bob Geldof and Elton John said, Freddie stole the show - performance linked above at "RIP".) It's even a must-see for anyone who banged their head along with Mike Myers and Dana Carvey in their famous scene in the 90s flick "Wayne's World". (Not a spoiler but fyi: Mike Myers has a cameo role in "Bohemian Rhapsody" that is absolutely priceless.... Nice to see that the producers have a sense of humor and irony....) SoAnyway....

I understand why the critics and diehard fans are calling foul - Much artistic license was taken with timelines and details. Nevertheless, the film is amazing and honors an amazing man. If those closest to him endorse it - i.e. as A-Commoner pointed out, all the surviving members of Queen support it - I'm certainly not going to judge. All props to Rami Malek (!). This wasn't an easy role to perform, and he pulled it off with hard work, skill, talent and finesse.
We rented it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The acting was spot on and the Mike Myers cameo was splendid.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 57846
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:46 am

Ant-Man and the Wasp, on Netflix. Yet another Marvel comics movie. The dialog is trite and it seemed like they had to make a dumb comment in every scene. However, there's lots of action that kept the movie interesting.

The movie seemed to borrow scenes from a combination of the Time Tunnel TV series and Fantastic Voyage movie.

They also used the opening song from the Patridge Family TV show in a few spots (I watched all of them...). I had no idea why.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 16086
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by abuss368 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:14 pm

“The Angel” on Netflix.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 16734
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:36 pm

Agatha and the Truth of Murder, on Netflix.

This is a fictional story about Agatha Christie's unexplained disappearance for 11 days in 1928. During that time she solves a murder mystery, of course. We liked the movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Colorado13
Posts: 963
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:58 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Colorado13 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:29 pm

National Geographic's "Free Solo"

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/films/free-solo/

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Nicolas » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:55 pm

Zulu (1964, UK) Michael Caine (his first starring role), Stanley Baker, Jack Hawkins.

150 British soldiers do battle with 4,000 Zulu warriors at Rorke's Drift, Zululand, South Africa, in 1879, a true story. Epic, beautiful scenery. By all means see it.
Image
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. — J. Paul Getty

User avatar
WWJBDo
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:43 am
Location: San Diego

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by WWJBDo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:09 am

Just returned from the AAAS meeting and they had recent science movies showing.
I downloaded from Netflix:
AlphaGo (2017) and
The Farthest (2017, about Voyager spacecraft) and they were both terrific.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Nicolas » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:15 am

The Shawshank Redemption (1994) Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman.
From IMDb, “Two imprisoned men bond over a number of years, finding solace and eventual redemption through acts of common decency.” A pretty good movie, recommended.

I watched it because it figured in the news this month in Milwaukee. A prisoner in his 60s out east heard an old convict relate that he’d done time all over the country and Wisconsin’s prisons were the best. They had the best food, least violence, and best healthcare. So this guy is eventually released and heads straight to a Milwaukee bank where he announces a stickup and then calmly sits down and asks for the police to be called. He wants a Wisconsin lockup. He got it but only 14 months. True story! The judge told him he could get a full 72 months by violating his parole. The local paper noted the case’s similarity to this movie so I had to see it.

Check out this article from Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

Real life 'Shawshank Redemption': Ex-con robs bank, hoping to be sent back to prison

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/cri ... 704306002/

Image
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. — J. Paul Getty

SoAnyway
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:49 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by SoAnyway » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:32 am

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:33 am
SoAnyway wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:27 am
SoAnyway wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:19 pm
6miths wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:45 pm
'Bohemian Rhapsody'. DW and I both loved it. DW said the critics didn't like it and indeed Rotten Tomatoes Critics is 59% and 49 on Metacritic but Audience is 93% and 85 respectively. I don't know if the critics missed the 70s and 80s and the HIV epidemic but it was a powerful depiction of the trial of a very talented man and those around him. Will see it again.
Thanks, 6miths, both for your (and Ms. 6miths) endorsement, and the interesting data points on critics vs. audience. Candidly, I really don't care what non-GenX critics think; I'm looking forward to seeing "Bohemian Rhapsody". Anyone of a certain era will "get it". Those who aren't (understandably) won't. That's ok - They had the Rolling Stones, or The Beatles, or Frank Sinatra, or Britney Spears, or Taylor Swift, or whomever "spoke" (or better said, whose work still "speaks") to them. Bottom line: Rational as most BHs are and aspire to be better at (self included), there's a place for that place that artists speak to, no matter their medium....

Like A-Commoner, I was in college when the AIDS epidemic hit. Freddie Mercury, nee Farrokh Bulsara, was a musical genius, a brilliant performer, and had the amazing magical ability to make every single person in a stadium of 100,000+ people believe that he was speaking directly to just THEM. BTW, no need for anyone reading to take this random internet stranger's word for it - The likes of David Bowie, Roger Daltry, et al. have said as much. (see link above)

I was saddened when he died (RIP), and maybe saddened even more years later that he didn't live long enough to benefit from the amazing medical developments that have transformed HIV/AIDS from the certain death sentence it was in the 80s to the no doubt difficult, but very manageable, condition it is these days. Had he lived just a bit longer, perhaps we'd all have benefitted even more from his extraordinary talents.
Finally saw "Bohemian Rhapsody". Wow. Just "Wow".
This is absolutely a must-see for anyone who rocked out to "A Night at the Opera" back in the 70s or who was at Wembley or JFK in Philly for LIVE AID in the mid-80s, i.e. my generation's version of Woodstock. (As both Bob Geldof and Elton John said, Freddie stole the show - performance linked above at "RIP".) It's even a must-see for anyone who banged their head along with Mike Myers and Dana Carvey in their famous scene in the 90s flick "Wayne's World". (Not a spoiler but fyi: Mike Myers has a cameo role in "Bohemian Rhapsody" that is absolutely priceless.... Nice to see that the producers have a sense of humor and irony....) SoAnyway....

I understand why the critics and diehard fans are calling foul - Much artistic license was taken with timelines and details. Nevertheless, the film is amazing and honors an amazing man. If those closest to him endorse it - i.e. as A-Commoner pointed out, all the surviving members of Queen support it - I'm certainly not going to judge. All props to Rami Malek (!). This wasn't an easy role to perform, and he pulled it off with hard work, skill, talent and finesse.
We rented it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The acting was spot on and the Mike Myers cameo was splendid.
Yay. :sharebeer
As another poster upthread noted, Rami Malek (deservedly) picked up the Best Actor SAG award for his work in the film. He's since gotten the Golden Globe and countless others, and if there's any justice in this world he'll get the Oscar. I'm very glad that the casting director chose Rami Malek over this guy. Ok fine - I concede that the linked dude's pitch is pretty good, but he lacks all the charisma, no?? :wink:

In other news related to the thread topic, I recently saw Bradley Cooper's rendition of "A Star is Born". Lady Gaga (nee Stefani Germanotta) deserves the Oscar for that performance, not to mention her courage. I've always been a fan of her musicianship, even without all the crazy wigs/fashion/techno/even the "Lady Gaga" name gimmicks. "Bad Romance", anyone?

It was delightful to see her drop all of that armor and simply show acting talent (that most didn't know she had), not to mention her signature vocals/songwriting that imho never needed the gimmicks in the first place. But good as she was, she didn't know that. When you're as big as the "Lady Gaga" persona is, it takes serious courage to drop all that and go out naked in a way that the world's never seen you - No makeup, no wigs, no techno-glam-fashion to hide behind - And she nailed it.

Like another poster upthread, I'm not usually "into" music films (hated La La Land). But my two favorite films of the year - no disrespect to the other great films this year - were "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "A Star is Born".
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

stoptothink
Posts: 6543
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by stoptothink » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:28 am

SoAnyway wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:32 am
Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:33 am
SoAnyway wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:27 am
SoAnyway wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:19 pm
6miths wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:45 pm
'Bohemian Rhapsody'. DW and I both loved it. DW said the critics didn't like it and indeed Rotten Tomatoes Critics is 59% and 49 on Metacritic but Audience is 93% and 85 respectively. I don't know if the critics missed the 70s and 80s and the HIV epidemic but it was a powerful depiction of the trial of a very talented man and those around him. Will see it again.
Thanks, 6miths, both for your (and Ms. 6miths) endorsement, and the interesting data points on critics vs. audience. Candidly, I really don't care what non-GenX critics think; I'm looking forward to seeing "Bohemian Rhapsody". Anyone of a certain era will "get it". Those who aren't (understandably) won't. That's ok - They had the Rolling Stones, or The Beatles, or Frank Sinatra, or Britney Spears, or Taylor Swift, or whomever "spoke" (or better said, whose work still "speaks") to them. Bottom line: Rational as most BHs are and aspire to be better at (self included), there's a place for that place that artists speak to, no matter their medium....

Like A-Commoner, I was in college when the AIDS epidemic hit. Freddie Mercury, nee Farrokh Bulsara, was a musical genius, a brilliant performer, and had the amazing magical ability to make every single person in a stadium of 100,000+ people believe that he was speaking directly to just THEM. BTW, no need for anyone reading to take this random internet stranger's word for it - The likes of David Bowie, Roger Daltry, et al. have said as much. (see link above)

I was saddened when he died (RIP), and maybe saddened even more years later that he didn't live long enough to benefit from the amazing medical developments that have transformed HIV/AIDS from the certain death sentence it was in the 80s to the no doubt difficult, but very manageable, condition it is these days. Had he lived just a bit longer, perhaps we'd all have benefitted even more from his extraordinary talents.
Finally saw "Bohemian Rhapsody". Wow. Just "Wow".
This is absolutely a must-see for anyone who rocked out to "A Night at the Opera" back in the 70s or who was at Wembley or JFK in Philly for LIVE AID in the mid-80s, i.e. my generation's version of Woodstock. (As both Bob Geldof and Elton John said, Freddie stole the show - performance linked above at "RIP".) It's even a must-see for anyone who banged their head along with Mike Myers and Dana Carvey in their famous scene in the 90s flick "Wayne's World". (Not a spoiler but fyi: Mike Myers has a cameo role in "Bohemian Rhapsody" that is absolutely priceless.... Nice to see that the producers have a sense of humor and irony....) SoAnyway....

I understand why the critics and diehard fans are calling foul - Much artistic license was taken with timelines and details. Nevertheless, the film is amazing and honors an amazing man. If those closest to him endorse it - i.e. as A-Commoner pointed out, all the surviving members of Queen support it - I'm certainly not going to judge. All props to Rami Malek (!). This wasn't an easy role to perform, and he pulled it off with hard work, skill, talent and finesse.
We rented it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The acting was spot on and the Mike Myers cameo was splendid.
Yay. :sharebeer
As another poster upthread noted, Rami Malek (deservedly) picked up the Best Actor SAG award for his work in the film. He's since gotten the Golden Globe and countless others, and if there's any justice in this world he'll get the Oscar. I'm very glad that the casting director chose Rami Malek over this guy. Ok fine - I concede that the linked dude's pitch is pretty good, but he lacks all the charisma, no?? :wink:

In other news related to the thread topic, I recently saw Bradley Cooper's rendition of "A Star is Born". Lady Gaga (nee Stefani Germanotta) deserves the Oscar for that performance, not to mention her courage. I've always been a fan of her musicianship, even without all the crazy wigs/fashion/techno/even the "Lady Gaga" name gimmicks. "Bad Romance", anyone?

It was delightful to see her drop all of that armor and simply show acting talent (that most didn't know she had), not to mention her signature vocals/songwriting that imho never needed the gimmicks in the first place. But good as she was, she didn't know that. When you're as big as the "Lady Gaga" persona is, it takes serious courage to drop all that and go out naked in a way that the world's never seen you - No makeup, no wigs, no techno-glam-fashion to hide behind - And she nailed it.

Like another poster upthread, I'm not usually "into" music films (hated La La Land). But my two favorite films of the year - no disrespect to the other great films this year - were "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "A Star is Born".
"Bohemian Rapsody" was a lot better than I expected. I understand that there was a lot of liberty taken with the true story, but I actually expected there to be more. One of the better films I've seen recently.

wilson08
Posts: 407
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:37 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by wilson08 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:13 pm

Stan and Ollie

Delightful film about Laurel and Hardy staging a comeback in the
early 1950s after separating due to a squabble 15 years earlier.
Steve Coogan plays a believable Stan Laurel but John C. Reilly
is a dead ringer for Oliver Hardy.
Touching, amusing, and thoroughly engaging movie.
Highly recommended.

snowox
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:17 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by snowox » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:15 pm

Watched Black Sea on Netflix and really enjoyed it. Basically about a group of guys that buy a sub to go after a German Sub that had gold on it. Jude Law and other familiar faces with typical heist action.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 8495
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:22 pm

"Kundun"
Story of the Dalai Lama in Tibet.
Have not watched it in many years. Recently watched on a flight to Hawaii.
Always so thought provoking and inspiring.
Culturally rich.
Profound.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

chenchanjuan
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:18 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by chenchanjuan » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:22 am

The Manchester by the sea. So touched and moved...

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 57846
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:13 pm

Roma, on Netflix. This is a strong "like" or "hate" movie - there's no middle ground. Consider it a deeply emotional documentary. I was very impressed with the realism, not to mention the subtle ways the scenes were shot to enhance an artistic perspective.

The choice to shoot in Black & White (vs. color) is used to great effect.

As for spoken language, it's both Spanish and native Central America Indian - highlighted with brackets "[ ]" in the subtitles.

I'm on the strong "like" side. OTOH, my husband left 5 minutes into the movie.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 16734
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:47 pm

South Pacific on Turner Movie Classics (TCM) channel.

This is a classic movie musical set on a Pacific island during World War II, starring Mitzi Gaynor and Rossano Brazzi.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 9555
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:41 pm

baconavocado wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:56 pm
I re-watched Lost in Translation this week and now I'm planning our first trip to Japan, probably spring 2020.
Look out! Wife and son took trip to Japan, and now we have to replace all of our toilets with TOTO “features.” Expensive trip. Makes Acela look like third world train also :D
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

DrGoogle2017
Posts: 2528
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:46 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:41 pm
baconavocado wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:56 pm
I re-watched Lost in Translation this week and now I'm planning our first trip to Japan, probably spring 2020.
Look out! Wife and son took trip to Japan, and now we have to replace all of our toilets with TOTO “features.” Expensive trip. Makes Acela look like third world train also :D
Haha, so did my brother. I’ve yet to see these toilets yet.

DrGoogle2017
Posts: 2528
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:47 pm

I’ve been watching a lot of Bond’s movie like Tommorow Never Dies, and Golden Gun to prepare my trip to Asia.

User avatar
aspirit
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:52 am
Location: SMA.SFL

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by aspirit » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:41 pm

The Revenant / A docudrama w/ L.DiCaprio’s portrayal of trapper Hugh Glass in 1823’s American west.

Highly recommended......
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

DrGoogle2017
Posts: 2528
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:36 am

We finally got to see Bohemian Rhapsody from Redbox. We enjoyed the movie.

User avatar
baconavocado
Posts: 348
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:03 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by baconavocado » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:14 am

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:46 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:41 pm
baconavocado wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:56 pm
I re-watched Lost in Translation this week and now I'm planning our first trip to Japan, probably spring 2020.
Look out! Wife and son took trip to Japan, and now we have to replace all of our toilets with TOTO “features.” Expensive trip. Makes Acela look like third world train also :D
Haha, so did my brother. I’ve yet to see these toilets yet.
I'm ready for this. Our relatives replaced their toilet after a trip to Japan.

I'm looking forward to the food, the shrines, the trees.

lostdog
Posts: 2056
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by lostdog » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:04 am

A Star is Born.

An excellent move. The Oscar nominations are well deserved.

It's about love, music and substance abuse.

https://youtu.be/bo_efYhYU2A
Total World Stock and Total World Bond. The simple two fund diversified portfolio. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

youngpleb
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:06 pm
Location: VA, USA

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by youngpleb » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:07 am

I finally got around to watching The Big Short last night. Tremendously enjoyed it! I was in high school in 2008 so I didn’t pay too much attention to the economy at the time. Still can’t believe not many people saw that coming! I’m sure the movie took everything and presented it as a more simplified version though. All of the acting was fantastic.

Anybody have any other good suggestions along this same style of movie?

User avatar
htdrag11
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by htdrag11 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:32 pm

The Favourite - 6/10.
Due to use of candlelights, a "dark" movie was made even darker. I don't care for the fishbowl effect inside the palace. Afterall, we're all voyeurs already. I enjoyed Olivia Colman from Broadchurch (another dark series), besides Emma Stone who always amazes me with her character development at such a young age. Glad all 3 actresses got nominated. I can see why it fits into the category of comedy, but it's more dark comedy. Women can just be as vicious as men in politics.
It is not light entertainment, but the other aspects that stood out are the music, costumes and cinematography.
The other Oscar nominated film I watched was the Blackpanther, a much more relax viewing and great brainless entertainment.
Once again, I will not waste my time watching the boring Oscar show.

Fallible
Posts: 7036
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Fallible » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:40 pm

youngpleb wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:07 am
I finally got around to watching The Big Short last night. Tremendously enjoyed it! I was in high school in 2008 so I didn’t pay too much attention to the economy at the time. Still can’t believe not many people saw that coming! I’m sure the movie took everything and presented it as a more simplified version though. All of the acting was fantastic.

Anybody have any other good suggestions along this same style of movie?
Not sure what you mean by "same style of movie," but I don't think there's another Wall Street film quite like "Short," thanks largely to its improv comedy director Adam McKay, who understood the financial crisis and Michael Lewis's book about it, and went on to win the Academy Award for "Best Adapted Screenplay." So you might enjoy the book of the same title.

Other good Wall Street films often recommended here include Boiler Room, Margin Call and the '87 classic Wall Street. But there are many, many more, including documentaries, so start googling.
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

youngpleb
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:06 pm
Location: VA, USA

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by youngpleb » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:24 pm

Fallible wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:40 pm
Not sure what you mean by "same style of movie," but I don't think there's another Wall Street film quite like "Short," thanks largely to its improv comedy director Adam McKay, who understood the financial crisis and Michael Lewis's book about it, and went on to win the Academy Award for "Best Adapted Screenplay." So you might enjoy the book of the same title.

Other good Wall Street films often recommended here include Boiler Room, Margin Call and the '87 classic Wall Street. But there are many, many more, including documentaries, so start googling.
Cool, thanks for the recommendations! Yeah, I just meant other movies that dealt with financial topics (especially those based on real events!). I ordered the book last night after I finished the movie actually :mrgreen: I found it pretty crazy that Adam McKay was only allowed by Paramount to make The Big Short if he agreed to do Anchorman 2. Pretty crazy, especially considering it won an award like you said. The fourth-wall breaks in the movie were pretty great.

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Nicolas » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:51 pm

youngpleb wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:07 am
I finally got around to watching The Big Short last night. Tremendously enjoyed it! I was in high school in 2008 so I didn’t pay too much attention to the economy at the time. Still can’t believe not many people saw that coming! I’m sure the movie took everything and presented it as a more simplified version though. All of the acting was fantastic.

Anybody have any other good suggestions along this same style of movie?
Glengarry Glen Ross (1992) Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Alec Baldwin.
From IMDb: The real story behind the world of sales. This is a realistic portrayal of what it is to try making a life in high pressure sales with all its highs and lows; promises of fortunes and deliveries of dross. Red-leads and dead-leads are to blame for life's outcomes. Living with "Objection, Rebuttal, Close".
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. — J. Paul Getty

User avatar
KSOC
Posts: 420
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:53 pm
Location: Central Florida

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by KSOC » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:02 pm

Sugar Mountain - Amazon.

Expected little, but could not stop watching.
Too soon old, too late smart.

bowtie
Posts: 363
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:41 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by bowtie » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:29 pm

Has anyone here seen "Can You Ever Forgive Me?" I haven't yet, but was reading the synopsis and details of scenes. What an unbelievable story! But ... aside from some fairly minor alterations in details, the main aspects of the story are all true! It's a shocker and from what I was reading of the scenes, it was maybe even ickier than it needed to be.... did anyone here happen to see it?

User avatar
joe8d
Posts: 4388
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:27 pm
Location: Buffalo,NY

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by joe8d » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:53 pm

"Ed Wood". Real off beat.
All the Best, | Joe

SoAnyway
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:49 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by SoAnyway » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:38 am

baconavocado wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:14 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:46 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:41 pm
baconavocado wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:56 pm
I re-watched Lost in Translation this week and now I'm planning our first trip to Japan, probably spring 2020.
Look out! Wife and son took trip to Japan, and now we have to replace all of our toilets with TOTO “features.” Expensive trip. Makes Acela look like third world train also :D
Haha, so did my brother. I’ve yet to see these toilets yet.
I'm ready for this. Our relatives replaced their toilet after a trip to Japan.
I'm looking forward to the food, the shrines, the trees.
Hahaha...
I lived in Japan for a year many moons ago. The Toto toilets that (to paraphrase an earlier TT post that I'm too lazy to search for just now) "do everything but wish you a good afternoon" are just the beginning. There's a whole "bath (ofuro) culture" in Japan - And it's very addictive.

I'd love to have a true Japanese bathroom setup here in my US living space, but that's not gonna happen - Partly budget/BH principles, partly that certain things aren't attainable here in the US even if money were no object. My money's better spent making frequent trips back to Japan. SoAnyway....

Back to the thread topic, I've not seen "Lost in Translation" since it came out. Given my familiarity with the situation portrayed at the time, I felt it did great injustice but maybe that's just me. In other words, I hated it. That said, if it encourages anyone who's completely unfamiliar to explore Japan more, it's all good and I'll withhold my criticism.

BaconAvocado, have a fabulous time in the Land of the Rising Sun - and enjoy the food, the shrines, the trees to the "maximostawesomest"!! And PS, I love your forum name - Bacon and avocado are a marriage made in heaven. I incorporate them into my sushi rolls, Mexican dishes, et al.....
:sharebeer
Last edited by SoAnyway on Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

SoAnyway
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:49 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by SoAnyway » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:05 am

SoAnyway wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:32 am
Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:33 am
SoAnyway wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:27 am
SoAnyway wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:19 pm
6miths wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:45 pm
'Bohemian Rhapsody'. DW and I both loved it. DW said the critics didn't like it and indeed Rotten Tomatoes Critics is 59% and 49 on Metacritic but Audience is 93% and 85 respectively. I don't know if the critics missed the 70s and 80s and the HIV epidemic but it was a powerful depiction of the trial of a very talented man and those around him. Will see it again.
Thanks, 6miths, both for your (and Ms. 6miths) endorsement, and the interesting data points on critics vs. audience. Candidly, I really don't care what non-GenX critics think; I'm looking forward to seeing "Bohemian Rhapsody". Anyone of a certain era will "get it". Those who aren't (understandably) won't. That's ok - They had the Rolling Stones, or The Beatles, or Frank Sinatra, or Britney Spears, or Taylor Swift, or whomever "spoke" (or better said, whose work still "speaks") to them. Bottom line: Rational as most BHs are and aspire to be better at (self included), there's a place for that place that artists speak to, no matter their medium....

Like A-Commoner, I was in college when the AIDS epidemic hit. Freddie Mercury, nee Farrokh Bulsara, was a musical genius, a brilliant performer, and had the amazing magical ability to make every single person in a stadium of 100,000+ people believe that he was speaking directly to just THEM. BTW, no need for anyone reading to take this random internet stranger's word for it - The likes of David Bowie, Roger Daltry, et al. have said as much. (see link above)

I was saddened when he died (RIP), and maybe saddened even more years later that he didn't live long enough to benefit from the amazing medical developments that have transformed HIV/AIDS from the certain death sentence it was in the 80s to the no doubt difficult, but very manageable, condition it is these days. Had he lived just a bit longer, perhaps we'd all have benefitted even more from his extraordinary talents.
Finally saw "Bohemian Rhapsody". Wow. Just "Wow".
This is absolutely a must-see for anyone who rocked out to "A Night at the Opera" back in the 70s or who was at Wembley or JFK in Philly for LIVE AID in the mid-80s, i.e. my generation's version of Woodstock. (As both Bob Geldof and Elton John said, Freddie stole the show - performance linked above at "RIP".) It's even a must-see for anyone who banged their head along with Mike Myers and Dana Carvey in their famous scene in the 90s flick "Wayne's World". (Not a spoiler but fyi: Mike Myers has a cameo role in "Bohemian Rhapsody" that is absolutely priceless.... Nice to see that the producers have a sense of humor and irony....) SoAnyway....

I understand why the critics and diehard fans are calling foul - Much artistic license was taken with timelines and details. Nevertheless, the film is amazing and honors an amazing man. If those closest to him endorse it - i.e. as A-Commoner pointed out, all the surviving members of Queen support it - I'm certainly not going to judge. All props to Rami Malek (!). This wasn't an easy role to perform, and he pulled it off with hard work, skill, talent and finesse.
We rented it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The acting was spot on and the Mike Myers cameo was splendid.
Yay. :sharebeer
As another poster upthread noted, Rami Malek (deservedly) picked up the Best Actor SAG award for his work in the film. He's since gotten the Golden Globe and countless others, and if there's any justice in this world he'll get the Oscar.
Oh, thank God - There IS justice in this world.... :happy
SoAnyway wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:32 am
In other news related to the thread topic, I recently saw Bradley Cooper's rendition of "A Star is Born". Lady Gaga (nee Stefani Germanotta) deserves the Oscar for that performance, not to mention her courage. I've always been a fan of her musicianship, even without all the crazy wigs/fashion/techno/even the "Lady Gaga" name gimmicks. "Bad Romance", anyone?

It was delightful to see her drop all of that armor and simply show acting talent (that most didn't know she had), not to mention her signature vocals/songwriting that imho never needed the gimmicks in the first place. But good as she was, she didn't know that. When you're as big as the "Lady Gaga" persona is, it takes serious courage to drop all that and go out naked in a way that the world's never seen you - No makeup, no wigs, no techno-glam-fashion to hide behind - And she nailed it.
Evidently, the Academy isn't yet ready to accept LG as an actress rather than a musician - Similar to Bradley Cooper, who wasn't sure he'd ever be accepted as a musician or director, having only been an actor. I'm happy that LG got her time onstage for "Shallow'. I wish them both the best in their future endeavors. They're both sick-talented in so many ways, and I've no doubt they'll succeed as they navigate the various industry/company politics in their industry. :happy It's the same as the rest of us, just different company/industry/visibility/whatever....
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

Bacchus01
Posts: 3182
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:46 am

Malik got the Oscar he deserved.

A star is born got robbed.

User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 16086
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by abuss368 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:15 pm

Atlantic City on Hulu.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 16734
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:42 pm

Key Largo on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) channel.

The movie stars Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Edward G. Robinson, and Lionel Barrymore. A World War II veteran stops to visit the family of a dead war buddy, and finds the family terrorized by a gangster and his minions.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

User avatar
Elsebet
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: Washington state

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Elsebet » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:16 pm

spectec wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:04 am
My wife and I recently watched Roma. Guess I'm not very sophisticated, because I don't understand all the hype about multiple awards. It has its moments, both in terms of acting and cinematography, but it certainly isn't particularly memorable as far as I'm concerned. (and the problem isn't the language, as we both understand Spanish)
I watched this recently too and while I thought it was a very well crafted, beautiful film it wasn't something I'll need to watch again. Minor spoiler in the next sentence:

The whole movie I kept wondering why no one was cleaning up the dog poop. :)
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

RiskDude
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:45 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by RiskDude » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:08 am

Isle of Dogs. It was up for a couple of awards but did not win. Unique animation (stop action) and story about a young boy on a mission to rescue his dog, and save all dogs from the Mayor of the city. First time I watched, I was not sure I was going to get through it, but it is now a favorite. Pro Dog!!

Bohemian Rhapsody. Enjoyed it more than I expected. Actor did a fantastic job and it was nice to see him win.

Re-watched, original Godzilla... Classic.

rst113
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:50 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by rst113 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:45 am

bowtie wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:29 pm
Has anyone here seen "Can You Ever Forgive Me?" I haven't yet, but was reading the synopsis and details of scenes. What an unbelievable story! But ... aside from some fairly minor alterations in details, the main aspects of the story are all true! It's a shocker and from what I was reading of the scenes, it was maybe even ickier than it needed to be.... did anyone here happen to see it?
I have seen it and would call it good but not great. It is an interesting story that I found a little slow moving at times. Melissa McCarthy does do a great job.

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Nicolas » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:48 am

ruralavalon wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:42 pm
Key Largo on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) channel.

The movie stars Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Edward G. Robinson, and Lionel Barrymore. A World War II veteran stops to visit the family of a dead war buddy, and finds the family terrorized by a gangster and his minions.
Great movie, it’s my wife’s favorite. We’ve seen it many times. In fact we own a copy.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. — J. Paul Getty

RollTide31457
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by RollTide31457 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:40 pm

Black pannther. Worst movie ever made.

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 6925
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by bertilak » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:44 pm

RollTide31457 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:40 pm
Black pannther. Worst movie ever made.
Can't say I was disappointed because I wasn't expecting much.
Actually, it was a bit better than I expected.
Even so, it was pretty bad.

How's that for whiplash?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

User avatar
bengal22
Posts: 1852
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by bengal22 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:25 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:47 pm
South Pacific on Turner Movie Classics (TCM) channel.

This is a classic movie musical set on a Pacific island during World War II, starring Mitzi Gaynor and Rossano Brazzi.
Songs were great but I thought it was strange how they changed the coloring of the film and on some enchanted evening tune they added a dreamy border.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 16734
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:49 am

bengal22 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:25 pm
ruralavalon wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:47 pm
South Pacific on Turner Movie Classics (TCM) channel.

This is a classic movie musical set on a Pacific island during World War II, starring Mitzi Gaynor and Rossano Brazzi.
Songs were great but I thought it was strange how they changed the coloring of the film and on some enchanted evening tune they added a dreamy border.
I also thought that was odd.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

wilson08
Posts: 407
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:37 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by wilson08 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:55 am

bowtie wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:29 pm
Has anyone here seen "Can You Ever Forgive Me?" I haven't yet, but was reading the synopsis and details of scenes. What an unbelievable story! But ... aside from some fairly minor alterations in details, the main aspects of the story are all true! It's a shocker and from what I was reading of the scenes, it was maybe even ickier than it needed to be.... did anyone here happen to see it?
I posted a review of this movie on November 23, 2018.
Excellent film

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 4144
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by munemaker » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:04 am

The fourth (I believe) incarnation of "A Star is Born" was excellent.

"How to Train Your Dragon" was really bad.

"Alita Battle Angel" was pretty good, an obvious attempt to capitalize on the women's movement.

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Nicolas » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:46 am

Ironweed (1987) Jack Nicholson, Meryl Streep, Tom Waits. A depressing movie about down and out alcoholic homeless people during the depression. I liked the convincing-looking depression era scenes, a bit like a model railroad come to life. Probably not worth the time though.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. — J. Paul Getty

thewizzer
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:11 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by thewizzer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:53 am

Paddleton, on Netflix. Starring Ray Romano.

It was a really, really good movie. Dealt with friendship and end-of-life issues. Had me laughing and holding back tears equally. Highly recommended.

Post Reply