What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 59528
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:33 pm

Thor: Ragnarok, on Netflix. Entertaining, but my husband liked it better than I did.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 17360
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:41 am

The Philadelphia Story, on Turner Classic Movie (TCM) channel.

A classic comedy with Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, and Jimmy Stewart. A society wedding is derailed by the bride's ex-husband and tabloid journalists.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

miles monroe
Posts: 1279
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:14 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by miles monroe » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:59 am

fyre on netflix.

documentary on the fyre music festival in the bahamas that never happened. well worth the 90 minutes.

wilson08
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:37 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by wilson08 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:43 am

The Favourite

During the reign of Queen Anne of England(early 1700s) two women, Lady Sarah and
her cousin Abigail, vie for the Queen's favor with each pulling out all stops to win the
Queen's approval, affection, and respect, assuring themselves a top spot in the royal
circle. At times the rivalry between the two opponents is vicious.
I am not sure how accurately the film depicts Queen Anne but the movie places her
in a rather unflattering light. Without giving anything away, the ending confirms the
maxim "be careful what you wish for."
For me 6/10

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 23133
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by dm200 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:44 pm

"Green Book" last evening. I liked it and glad we went. BUT, in my opinion, not "Great" as commonly described.

MoonOrb
Posts: 1015
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:58 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by MoonOrb » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:33 am

"Searching" with John Cho. Really smart, fascinating thriller. Also nice to see the starring roles go primarily to Asian people which you just don't see that often in American film.

For people who like violent action movies:

Upgrade (near future sci-fi on a low budget but a lot of fun, sort of The Matrix meets Frankenstein meets John Wick

Hotel Artemis: another near future, lower budget film but with a very well-known cast and very entertaining. Slight John Carpenter vibe to it.

Equalizer 2: This was a dumb, violent action movie. If you like dumb, violent action movies you will like this movie.

Jeff Albertson
Posts: 746
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:11 pm
Location: Springfield

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Jeff Albertson » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:36 am

Brexit: The Uncivil War (HBO) - a scary tech thriller starring Benedict Cumberbatch.
Brexit: The Uncivil War (simply Brexit in the US) is a 2019 British television drama film written by James Graham and directed by Toby Haynes. It depicts the lead-up to the 2016 referendum through the activities of the strategists behind the Vote Leave campaign, that prompted the United Kingdom to exit the European Union, known as Brexit. It aired on Channel 4 in the United Kingdom on 7 January, and aired on HBO in the United States on 19 January. Benedict Cumberbatch stars as Dominic Cummings, the Campaign Director of the official designated Brexit-supporting group, Vote Leave.
https://youtu.be/E5S1EMmCWAE
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/brexit-2019

JBTX
Posts: 5873
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by JBTX » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:11 am

miles monroe wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:59 am
fyre on netflix.

documentary on the fyre music festival in the bahamas that never happened. well worth the 90 minutes.
Agreed. I had no idea any of that happened. You can't make some stuff up.

JBTX
Posts: 5873
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by JBTX » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:21 am

OI - Netflix. Story of final survivors on a mostly uninhabitable Earth. Slow and contemplative. I really like it.

Molly Bloom HBO - truly story of former Olympian turned underground gambling hostess. Anything with Jessica Chastain and Idris Elba can't be all bad. Good story. OK movie.

NewPhoneWhoDis
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:59 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by NewPhoneWhoDis » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:52 pm

miles monroe wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:59 am
fyre on netflix.

documentary on the fyre music festival in the bahamas that never happened. well worth the 90 minutes.
I enjoyed it so much that I immediately watched the competing Fyre Fest doc on Hulu, also worth the watch but I think the Netflix version was superior.

hdas
Posts: 1298
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:24 am

[Deleted]

Post by hdas » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:30 pm

[Deleted]
Last edited by hdas on Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 1665
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Nicolas » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:50 pm

Around the World in 80 Days (1956) David Niven, Cantinflas, Shirley MacLaine, Robert Newton, and cameos too numerous to mention. In fact the concept of movie cameo was invented with this film. It’s a Mike Todd production based on the novel by Jules Verne. I first saw this film in the 1950s at a theater with my parents. Mike Todd pulled out all the stops spending twice his budget in film production. It’s the winner of five academy awards including Best Picture. Visually lush and entertaining, it’s a splendid movie and a must-see for any film buff. It’s fully three hours long with the intermission, but worth it.

User avatar
Davinci
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:36 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Davinci » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:37 pm

Roma in Netflix
" Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" Leonardo Da Vinci.

btenny
Posts: 5251
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by btenny » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:31 pm

"The Greatest Showman" with Hugh Jackman and others. Great musical about PT Barnum and his cast of characters. Very good makeup and costumes and good music and good acting and a great story line. Fun to watch and sort of exciting with the circus aerial acrobatics and rope ballet. I wished I had seen it in a theater. It was very good.

Enjoy..

yolli71
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 9:53 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by yolli71 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:46 pm

JBTX wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:11 am
miles monroe wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:59 am
fyre on netflix.

documentary on the fyre music festival in the bahamas that never happened. well worth the 90 minutes.
Agreed. I had no idea any of that happened. You can't make some stuff up.
Yep...I just watched this and thoroughly enjoyed it too. Never heard of this festival until the other day.

User avatar
aspirit
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:52 am
Location: SMA.SFL

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by aspirit » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:09 am

"Money, Banking , and the Federal Reserve"
With Rockwell & Salerno as primary commentators, on UTube: produced by misesmedia, 12 yrs back!
A complete docudrama history of the worlds money, banking, values, trade compensation types & the federal reserves implementation, adoption, & attempted overthrow/replacement in the USA.

Also depicting inside stories of the USAs .gov's attempted overthrows of its "The Federal Reserve Bank" w/greenback notes issued by A.Jackson(1829), A.Lincoln(1865), and J.Kennedy(1963) administrations (all assassinated, or attempted assassinations, presumably by banking interests :shock: ) in the USA. My second viewing.
Showing an unfortunate 1M views in the last 12 yr.'s (sad-no audience*, 2 showings were mine!)
A well researched Docudrama :happy imho.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

miles monroe
Posts: 1279
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:14 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by miles monroe » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:34 am

NewPhoneWhoDis wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:52 pm
miles monroe wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:59 am
fyre on netflix.

documentary on the fyre music festival in the bahamas that never happened. well worth the 90 minutes.
I enjoyed it so much that I immediately watched the competing Fyre Fest doc on Hulu, also worth the watch but I think the Netflix version was superior.
i waited a week -- but i also watched the hulu version. liked em both.

stoptothink
Posts: 7016
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by stoptothink » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:44 am

yolli71 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:46 pm
JBTX wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:11 am
miles monroe wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:59 am
fyre on netflix.

documentary on the fyre music festival in the bahamas that never happened. well worth the 90 minutes.
Agreed. I had no idea any of that happened. You can't make some stuff up.
Yep...I just watched this and thoroughly enjoyed it too. Never heard of this festival until the other day.
I remember the event, surprisingly my wife and virtually none of my co-workers (all of whom are way more into social media and popular culture than I) had not. We watched it last night, insane story. Every person who spends a lot of time on social media should watch it as a cautionary tale.

GingerandPiper
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:06 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by GingerandPiper » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:19 pm

"Bohemian Rhapsody". Amazing performances by lead and supporting actors. Actor (just forgot his name for a minute) portraying Freddy Mercury is deserving of all the awards he can get. Only problem I had was the picture seemed kind of fuzzy (not HD)...maybe my eyes? Ho. Also it seemed "dark" as in color - again, just maybe my eyes. I want to see it again when it comes out on Netflix or similar venue.

"Roma". It's a foreign film, folks !!! Foreign films are almost always slow, slow, slow. I have to admit I got a little impatient by the first half but was intrigued by the young woman portraying the lead and had read she was nominated for best actress - and she's never acted before. The second half went better for me as I slowed down my American impatient - fast action - attitude.

Want to see "A Star is Born" but it has left my town. I loved the one with Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristoffersen so am hopeful this one will be as good - just probably different.

User avatar
LazyNihilist
Posts: 909
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:56 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by LazyNihilist » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:41 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:44 am
yolli71 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:46 pm
JBTX wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:11 am
miles monroe wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:59 am
fyre on netflix.

documentary on the fyre music festival in the bahamas that never happened. well worth the 90 minutes.
Agreed. I had no idea any of that happened. You can't make some stuff up.
Yep...I just watched this and thoroughly enjoyed it too. Never heard of this festival until the other day.
I remember the event, surprisingly my wife and virtually none of my co-workers (all of whom are way more into social media and popular culture than I) had not. We watched it last night, insane story. Every person who spends a lot of time on social media should watch it as a cautionary tale.
Really liked the Netflix documentary. In addition to social media followers, this should be required viewing for anyone trying to get into event planning/management.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides

Miriam2
Posts: 2778
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:49 pm

LazyNihilist wrote: Really liked the Netflix documentary. In addition to social media followers, this should be required viewing for anyone trying to get into event planning/management.
Lazy N - you're watching movies?? thought you were out training for the Miami Marathon :P

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 1665
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Nicolas » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:53 pm

Roma (México 2018) — I saw it on Netflix on my 50” plasma. It started slow but I didn’t give up on it. I was in Mexico City 1966/67 which was just a few years prior to the time this film was set in and it seemed true-to-life, it brought back memories. The only thing missing was the smell of diesel fumes! Mexico, D.F. was thick with it at that time. I enjoyed it.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
joe8d
Posts: 4401
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:27 pm
Location: Buffalo,NY

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by joe8d » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:06 am

"1945".This Hungarian ( English subtitled ) black and white film is a must see for the ardent film viewer.
All the Best, | Joe

hoops777
Posts: 2786
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Movie Polar on Netflix

Post by hoops777 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:22 am

This topic and its replies merged into existing topic - moderator prudent]

Polar....new movie made by Netflix.Terrible,stupid ridiculously violent and bloody.Zero stars,no make that negative stars.I have no idea why a movie like this would even be made. :confused
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

User avatar
ginmqi
Posts: 357
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: Movie Polar on Netflix

Post by ginmqi » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:30 am

Dude, I thought it was GREAT! Wife and I just watched it a few min ago...we both loved it.

It's an action movie that doesn't take itself too seriously...and that's very easy to see from the very 1st scene. It's a fun, John Wick style assassin action movie. You don't watch it for the incredible plot or character development....and the actors were good I thought.

typical.investor
Posts: 1376
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:17 am

Re: Movie Polar on Netflix

Post by typical.investor » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:58 am

There were some funny moments. It wasn’t too bad.

The excesses of the genre which this movie certainly has in spades is off-putting.

indexonlyplease
Posts: 1571
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:30 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Movie Polar on Netflix

Post by indexonlyplease » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:59 am

I started wathcing a could not turn off. Thought about turning off many times in the beginning. Just wonder what the film director was thinking.

AllMostThere
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: Movie Polar on Netflix

Post by AllMostThere » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:14 am

Was Polar Oscar worthy? No, but it was entertaining. It is down of the road of John Wick type genre with lots action and violence. While I wouldn't pay for this type of movie at a theater I will watch and enjoy in the privacy of my own home on Netflix. I will give it a thumbs up! Remember it is what it is, and enjoy. :sharebeer

User avatar
mister_sparkle
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by mister_sparkle » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:58 am

Invictus - documentary from a few years ago about the Russian Olympic doping scandal. Pretty solid -- 7/10

Vice - not very compelling, though Christian Bale did nail his mannerisms. 5/10

hoops777
Posts: 2786
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Movie Polar on Netflix

Post by hoops777 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:37 am

AllMostThere wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:14 am
Was Polar Oscar worthy? No, but it was entertaining. It is down of the road of John Wick type genre with lots action and violence. While I wouldn't pay for this type of movie at a theater I will watch and enjoy in the privacy of my own home on Netflix. I will give it a thumbs up! Remember it is what it is, and enjoy. :sharebeer
I just do not get the enjoyment of watching such ridiculously excessive blood and violence but to each their own.The movie could have been made with the exact same story and 10 pct of the gore.I just have a difficult time seeing the producer/director/writers actually making these scenes and actually thinking this is something worthwhile.It was just an excuse to create as much violence and blood as they possibly could.On that level they certainly succeeded.I guess they thought there was humor in the ridiculous characters they created.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

User avatar
Peculiar_Investor
Posts: 1398
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:23 am
Location: Calgary, AB
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:51 am

mcadams089 wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:43 pm
I watched a screener of First Man last night. Enjoyed it, nice personal story about the life of Neil Armstrong around the time of his famous trip to the moon.
Watched First Man on the weekend on our video on demand service. The storyline was interesting, but I wouldn't say it was an enjoyable movie. Solid C+ at best. I wouldn't recommend anyone rush out and watch it.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

hoops777
Posts: 2786
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by hoops777 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:29 pm

Jeff Albertson wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:36 am
Brexit: The Uncivil War (HBO) - a scary tech thriller starring Benedict Cumberbatch.
Brexit: The Uncivil War (simply Brexit in the US) is a 2019 British television drama film written by James Graham and directed by Toby Haynes. It depicts the lead-up to the 2016 referendum through the activities of the strategists behind the Vote Leave campaign, that prompted the United Kingdom to exit the European Union, known as Brexit. It aired on Channel 4 in the United Kingdom on 7 January, and aired on HBO in the United States on 19 January. Benedict Cumberbatch stars as Dominic Cummings, the Campaign Director of the official designated Brexit-supporting group, Vote Leave.
https://youtu.be/E5S1EMmCWAE
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/brexit-2019
Is this a scary tech thriller?I have it on my dvr but have not watched it yet.I thought it would be a slow moving almost documentary.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

runner3081
Posts: 2768
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by runner3081 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:08 pm

Last one was, "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas".

The old cartoon one.

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 17360
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:10 pm

The Maltese Falcon, on Turner Classic Movie (TCM) channel.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

User avatar
LazyNihilist
Posts: 909
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:56 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by LazyNihilist » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:15 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:49 pm
LazyNihilist wrote: Really liked the Netflix documentary. In addition to social media followers, this should be required viewing for anyone trying to get into event planning/management.
Lazy N - you're watching movies?? thought you were out training for the Miami Marathon :P
Need to recover from all the training. :D
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides

stoptothink
Posts: 7016
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Movie Polar on Netflix

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:30 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:37 am
AllMostThere wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:14 am
Was Polar Oscar worthy? No, but it was entertaining. It is down of the road of John Wick type genre with lots action and violence. While I wouldn't pay for this type of movie at a theater I will watch and enjoy in the privacy of my own home on Netflix. I will give it a thumbs up! Remember it is what it is, and enjoy. :sharebeer
I just do not get the enjoyment of watching such ridiculously excessive blood and violence but to each their own.The movie could have been made with the exact same story and 10 pct of the gore.I just have a difficult time seeing the producer/director/writers actually making these scenes and actually thinking this is something worthwhile.It was just an excuse to create as much violence and blood as they possibly could.On that level they certainly succeeded.I guess they thought there was humor in the ridiculous characters they created.
You just can't take it too seriously. Wife and I knew exactly what we were getting into and we were entertained.

We watched "A Simple Favor" Sunday night. Wow, now that was bad and it had really good reviews. There has been several women gone crazy mystery thrillers since "Gone Girl" (which was great); this one had a totally ridiculous plot. My wife's response: this is what we get for thinking anything with Blake Lively was worth watching.

User avatar
BL
Posts: 9265
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by BL » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:38 pm

Airplane!
Ridiculous but some great funny lines and many familiar faces in this ~1980 movie.

hoops777
Posts: 2786
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Movie Polar on Netflix

Post by hoops777 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:20 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:30 pm
hoops777 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:37 am
AllMostThere wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:14 am
Was Polar Oscar worthy? No, but it was entertaining. It is down of the road of John Wick type genre with lots action and violence. While I wouldn't pay for this type of movie at a theater I will watch and enjoy in the privacy of my own home on Netflix. I will give it a thumbs up! Remember it is what it is, and enjoy. :sharebeer
I just do not get the enjoyment of watching such ridiculously excessive blood and violence but to each their own.The movie could have been made with the exact same story and 10 pct of the gore.I just have a difficult time seeing the producer/director/writers actually making these scenes and actually thinking this is something worthwhile.It was just an excuse to create as much violence and blood as they possibly could.On that level they certainly succeeded.I guess they thought there was humor in the ridiculous characters they created.
You just can't take it too seriously. Wife and I knew exactly what we were getting into and we were entertained.

We watched "A Simple Favor" Sunday night. Wow, now that was bad and it had really good reviews. There has been several women gone crazy mystery thrillers since "Gone Girl" (which was great); this one had a totally ridiculous plot. My wife's response: this is what we get for thinking anything with Blake Lively was worth watching.
I guess I just do not enjoy the ridiculously excessive blood and gore under any circumstances and just don’t get the reasons for it,but like everything else it is an individual preference.Definitely not entertained by it.A movie like Braveheart,I understand the reasons and the necessity for it because it was reality and not overdone.Polar was simply an excuse to see how much blood and gore they could get away with and pat themselves on the back for their artistic filmmaking.Right. :annoyed
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

User avatar
Koogie
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:05 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Koogie » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:50 pm

wilson08 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:43 am
The Favourite
During the reign of Queen Anne of England(early 1700s) two women, Lady Sarah and
her cousin Abigail, vie for the Queen's favor with each pulling out all stops to win the
Queen's approval, affection, and respect, assuring themselves a top spot in the royal
circle. At times the rivalry between the two opponents is vicious.
I am not sure how accurately the film depicts Queen Anne but the movie places her
in a rather unflattering light. Without giving anything away, the ending confirms the
maxim "be careful what you wish for."
For me 6/10
DW and I watched it last night. I would also give it about a 6 or 7. A beautiful film, a lot of money was spent on costume and scenery. Some good acting (Olivia Colman in particular) and a decent screenplay loosely based on historical fact. But the director felt the need to be "artsy fartsy" and fool around with the timeline and editing. Jump cutting from scene to scene in particular. The disjointedness ruined it a bit for me. DW less so.

Traveler
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Traveler » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:49 pm

I have now tried twice to watch Roma and have only gotten about 55 minutes in. I can't do it. It is probably the most boring movie I have ever seen. If it takes more than half the movie to start getting remotely watchable, I can't waste my time.

marielake
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:39 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by marielake » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:54 pm

On the Basis of Sex--the Ruth Beta Ginsburg story. It was excellent. I hadn't realized her role in bringing gender discrimination into forefront.

stoptothink
Posts: 7016
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:11 pm

Traveler wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:49 pm
I have now tried twice to watch Roma and have only gotten about 55 minutes in. I can't do it. It is probably the most boring movie I have ever seen. If it takes more than half the movie to start getting remotely watchable, I can't waste my time.
I got into a pseudo-argument with a co-worker the other day; they pretty much suggested I was "not cultured" because I simply did not understand what the fuss was about. I watch a movie to be entertained, it was terribly boring (I actually finished it) and why is the lead actress getting so much praise when she did (and said) almost nothing for 2hrs? Anyway, it was better than "Crazy Rich Asians". It is getting to the point that if a film gets a lot of critical acclaim and great reviews early on, I almost assume I won't like it.

hoops777
Posts: 2786
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by hoops777 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:21 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:11 pm
Traveler wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:49 pm
I have now tried twice to watch Roma and have only gotten about 55 minutes in. I can't do it. It is probably the most boring movie I have ever seen. If it takes more than half the movie to start getting remotely watchable, I can't waste my time.
I got into a pseudo-argument with a co-worker the other day; they pretty much suggested I was "not cultured" because I simply did not understand what the fuss was about. I watch a movie to be entertained, it was terribly boring (I actually finished it) and why is the lead actress getting so much praise when she did (and said) almost nothing for 2hrs? Anyway, it was better than "Crazy Rich Asians". It is getting to the point that if a film gets a lot of critical acclaim and great reviews early on, I almost assume I won't like it.
I too think Roma is very overrated.I also agree with the comment on the lead actress.The story did not enlighten me on anything that I did not already know and it was not compelling in any way.Crazy Rich Asians was at least lively and had some energy but was not a great movie.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

michaelingp
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by michaelingp » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:19 pm

I saw "Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse" in theater. It is the most inventive, visually creative animated film I've ever seen, and in fact, the only animated movie I've liked at all. It probably helps if you like (or liked as a kid) comic books.

We're binge watching all 5 seasons of the Australian TV show "A Place to Call Home" on DVD. Absolutely addictive.

User avatar
bengal22
Posts: 1858
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by bengal22 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:30 am

Due to 2 days of rain down here in paradise we just saw Upside and The Green Book. Neither were as brilliant or thought provoking as Roma but I would strongly recommend them.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

User avatar
husky1055
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:50 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by husky1055 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:48 am

Bohemian Rhapsody!!! Rami Makek won the SAG for best actor. I was not into music movies in general but was mesmerized by the story and the performance of the cast!!! :)

Halicar
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:41 am
Location: Midwest

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Halicar » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:05 pm

My son and I watched Aquaman this past weekend. Pretty bad, in my opinion. So many scenes of characters endlessly discussing and explaining things. Jason Momoa may look the part, but he's unfortunately not a very good actor. I don't expect an Oscar-worthy performance in a superhero flick, but it does need someone with some charisma who's comfortable in front of the camera, like Duane Johnson. Every scene with Momoa was just boring and awkward. Even the CGI eye-candy was disappointing, with no consistent aesthetic. My son liked it though.

hoops777
Posts: 2786
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by hoops777 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:56 pm

bengal22 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:30 am
Due to 2 days of rain down here in paradise we just saw Upside and The Green Book. Neither were as brilliant or thought provoking as Roma but I would strongly recommend them.
Just curious why you think Roma is brilliant.I think the lead actress lived a life exactly as most people would have expected and I saw nothing in the story that surprised or enlightened me in any way.After watching my feeling was,ok it was not bad,not great and what is all the fuss about?I watched it after the Golden Globes and was expecting a bit more.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

Dantes
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:38 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Dantes » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:44 am

Shimmer Lake on Netflix. Liked it a lot, DW has watched it twice. Very funny, but with some thoughtful moments.

User avatar
bengal22
Posts: 1858
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by bengal22 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:33 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:56 pm
bengal22 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:30 am
Due to 2 days of rain down here in paradise we just saw Upside and The Green Book. Neither were as brilliant or thought provoking as Roma but I would strongly recommend them.
Just curious why you think Roma is brilliant.I think the lead actress lived a life exactly as most people would have expected and I saw nothing in the story that surprised or enlightened me in any way.After watching my feeling was,ok it was not bad,not great and what is all the fuss about?I watched it after the Golden Globes and was expecting a bit more.
Disclosure Alert!
I am not a movie critic and so I will probably do a lousy job expressing why I found it moving. For the record I love many types of movies, such as all of star war movies, marvel universe movies, James bond, as well as dramas and comedies. I thought la la land was great. But I really love movies that express a feeling or thought through images not just words. Roma was chock full of images that revealed how deeply in distress this Mexico city family was in the 60's. The mother seemed to deny that her husband gad deserted her and she was struggling raising her kids while the nanny/housekeeper kept things afloat. Many of the images were from the perspective of the small children. First they had a lengthy scene on how the husband had a perfect method to part the car in the narrow long garage. Later when the abandoned mother parked the car she ripped the mirror and scratched the car. So as the family is struggling to fall apart the nanny, who is suffering through a vas relationship and a tragedy literally saves the family from a tragedy. Even though she can't swim. That was powerful for me. I am unable to describe Roma's beauty and meaning but for me it was a moving portrait of young children in the middle of turmoil but yet a portrait of survival.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

Post Reply