What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tennisplyr

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by tennisplyr » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:47 am

Just saw Green Book...very enjoyable!
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:29 am

We saw the latest Jason Bourn made in 2016 on free tv. It’s was bloody, as usually I don’t like these kinds of movie.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:31 am

Wildlife

In 1950s Montana an unemployed man takes a job fighting
wildfires (when he had other options) much to the chagrin
of his wife and young teenage son. He will be away from
home until the early snows begin.
Mother and son fend for themselves, getting work where
they can, but the mother (Cary Mulligan who has convincingly
lost her British accent) becomes involved in a seedy affair
with a wealthy, older widower. The son, who appears to be
the most mature, calm, and wise member of the family tries
to hold a steady course throughout the family crisis and encourage
some kind of cohesion.
Excellent acting, moving film.

MisterMister

Post by MisterMister » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:36 pm

wilson08 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:31 am
Wildlife

some kind of cohesion.
I don't remember it but looks like this was released in the US in October, apparently a limited release with a box office of only 1.5M. How can it be seen now?

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:13 pm

MisterMister wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:36 pm
wilson08 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:31 am
Wildlife

some kind of cohesion.
I don't remember it but looks like this was released in the US in October, apparently a limited release with a box office of only 1.5M. How can it be seen now?
In the city where I live a community film society owns a theater that
specializes in independent films and this is where I saw Wildlife
recently. Not sure when it will be available on DVD/streaming.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:27 pm

Saw "The Mule". Reviews were so so but I really liked it.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:55 pm

You only live twice(1967), a Bond movie I never did get to watch in my younger years. Sean Connery’s the best Bond IMO.

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:44 pm

Saw VICE yesterday.

Hated it. I felt like it had enormous contempt for its audience. Too bad because I thought THE BIG SHORT was a masterpiece and fine performances by Amy Adams, Sam Rockwell, and others were wasted in VICE. I can't say whether Christian Bale's acting was good or not, but I can say that he and his makeup effects team did an amazing job transforming him into Cheney. But it felt more like he was wearing a Dick Cheney suit than it was like he was acting, but the overall effect was impressive. I think the movie did have one or two genuinely interesting moments but what a train wreck of a film and I am someone who otherwise shares McKay's general political views.

MisterMister

Post by MisterMister » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:01 pm

MoonOrb wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:44 pm
Saw VICE yesterday.

Hated it. I felt like it had enormous contempt for its audience. Too bad because I thought THE BIG SHORT was a masterpiece and fine performances by Amy Adams, Sam Rockwell, and others were wasted in VICE. I can't say whether Christian Bale's acting was good or not, but I can say that he and his makeup effects team did an amazing job transforming him into Cheney. But it felt more like he was wearing a Dick Cheney suit than it was like he was acting, but the overall effect was impressive. I think the movie did have one or two genuinely interesting moments but what a train wreck of a film and I am someone who otherwise shares McKay's general political views.
I too saw it yesterday and I am of the same opinion. It could have been a much better film with all of that acting talent but instead was a snarky, snide satire. I believe there was one legitimate "Oscar moment" for Bale in the film, but in general his performance was diluted by the characterization and script he had to work with.

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:47 pm

Believe it or not I just watch Deathwish 1 - 4 on Hulu. I had never seen them before.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:47 pm

Completed season 5 of Prison Break. Was a reboot after a number of years. Season 6 is being made now.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:21 pm

Watching season 6 of West Wing on Netflix.

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:25 pm

I saw VICE too. I liked it very much and I'm usual in the center when it comes to politics. The acting is superb. Really well done. The characters are amazingly realistic. Yeah and the story very disturbing but not a big surprise.
MoonOrb wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:44 pm
Saw VICE yesterday.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:43 pm

Corner Gas, on Amazon Prime.

We are in the third season (out of six seasons) of this Canadian TV comedy set in the fictional town of Dog River, Saskatchewan, a farming community of about 500. "25 miles from anywhere, and far from normal".

Every character is a character, the humor is unique, this a very funny show. There are multiple plots intermingled in each episode. We watch 2-4 episodes a night.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:45 pm

Having recently watched The Contender (Joan Allen & Jeff Bridges), we've stayed with the theme and just watched
The Candidate (Robert Redford).
The Candidate really brought back "the times" (early 70's)...

Both were just as good as the first time ages ago, although The Candidate did seem a bit slow at times. However, that was probably planned.

And keeping with a bit of a Robert Redford theme, we watched Three Days of the Condor (with Faye Dunaway).
I've seen this enough times over the decades to remember the twists and turns, but DH hadn't remembered it quite as well.
We both enjoyed it.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:06 pm

Disappointed by The Mule. Lots of unrealistic stuff. Wouldn't recommend it.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:17 am

Bird Box on Netflix. I enjoyed it.

blackburnian

Post by blackburnian » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:31 am

"Roma": beautiful and moving film. I saw it in a theater, which I recommend because there are many visually arresting scenes that might not be as impressive when seen on a small screen.

Jim85

Post by Jim85 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:54 am

The Mule - Always liked Eastwood but this was OK, not great.

Bird Box - terrible. Can't believe I watched the whole thing but was curious about the ending. The ending was as bad as the rest.

Roma - Much better than the above 2 but I thought it would be even better. From the start, I was afraid it was going to be technique over story but I guess that wasn't quite the case. Something was lacking, not sure what. Plus I have a problem reading subtitles - distracts me from absorbing what's on screen but that's just me.

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:47 pm

Bird Box - slow and strange. Don't understand the hype.

Green Book - I enjoyed it

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:24 pm

Jim85 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:54 am
Bird Box - terrible. Can't believe I watched the whole thing but was curious about the ending. The ending was as bad as the rest.

Roma - Much better than the above 2 but I thought it would be even better. From the start, I was afraid it was going to be technique over story but I guess that wasn't quite the case. Something was lacking, not sure what. Plus I have a problem reading subtitles - distracts me from absorbing what's on screen but that's just me.
The dystopian thriller movies where they don't explain anything or tie up any loose ends are getting really old. I call it the "Lost Phenomena". Bird Box would have been halfway decent if the writers would have been a little creative with the ending.

Roma, I am still trying to figure out what all the fuss was about.

Wife and I watched "Searching" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Searching_(film) last night. What a breathe of fresh air, a film that was actually creative and different. One of the better films I've seen in the last few years

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:25 am

Ben Is Back. Son comes home for Christmas Eve from a drug rehab. Julia Roberts plays his mum who goes the extra mile to help her son. Ending kinda leaves it up to you. Was good to see Courtney V. Vance playing the role of his step dad. Use to like him as Carver in Law + Order Criminal Intent.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:13 am

stoptothink wrote:The dystopian thriller movies where they don't explain anything or tie up any loose ends are getting really old. I call it the "Lost Phenomena". Bird Box would have been halfway decent if the writers would have been a little creative with the ending.
HaHa, yes. My wife and I wondered when the polar bears would appear.

I was talking to my son (early 20s) and told him that the movie reminded me of “Lost.” He told me that he didn’t know what that meant, since a few years ago, when I found out that he had watched the first episode of Lost, I spoiled it by telling him how it ends and to not waste his time.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:29 am

Bird Box..don't get the hype. So why did some who were exposed to the "demons" not commit suicide, but went on a crusade to get everyone else to see the demons? never explained.
What were the demons...never explained, except vaguely by the grocery store worker.
Why did Sandra Bullock look like Michael Jackson?

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:38 am

theplayer11 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:29 am
Because it was a "thriller."
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:49 am

Roma (Netflix) - Yes, it was a picturesque and well-made film, but I didn't find the story very captivating. I think it's one of those films that the critics will enjoy more than the average audience. I had to watch it considering the hype, but I wouldn't really recommend it.

Private Life (Netflix) - I liked this one. It was a comedic film without a comedic plot (couple having fertility issues). The characters were funny, unique, and relatable.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:26 am

bengal22 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:38 am
theplayer11 wrote:
:sharebeer :sharebeer :sharebeer

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:30 am

theplayer11 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:26 am
bengal22 wrote:
theplayer11 wrote:
:sharebeer :sharebeer :sharebeer
Post of the year, and I don’t think it’s in any danger of being superseded. Shut the internet. Thanks. :D
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:34 am

bengal22 wrote:
theplayer11 wrote:
:D :D :D
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

detroitbabu

Post by detroitbabu » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:58 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:06 pm
Disappointed by The Mule. Lots of unrealistic stuff. Wouldn't recommend it.
It is based on a true story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mule_(2018_film)

The screenplay, by Nick Schenk, is based on The New York Times article "The Sinaloa Cartel's 90-Year-Old Drug Mule" by Sam Dolnick, which recounts the true story of Leo Sharp, a World War II veteran in his 80s who became a drug courier for the Sinaloa Cartel.

I thought it was ok too.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:43 pm

Roma- genre not typically my cup of tea but I did find it somewhat captivating. Between the scenery and the audio background noise - attention to detail. I watched it all the way through and glad I did, although I often didn't feel entertained per se.

Bird Box - OK. Somewhat M night Shyamalan like. It wasn't great, but wasn't bad either.

Inception - now on HBO. First time I've watched it since seeing it on DVD years ago. I really like that movie. Fairly complicated, the first time I watched I watched it again immediately to try to fit all the pieces together. I really like the musical score.

jpelder

Post by jpelder » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:50 pm

I just watched Arrival https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543164/ last week (on Amazon)

A linguist with a tragic past gets recruited to communicate with aliens who land 12 ships across the Earth. Good acting by the main cast, an interesting premise, and Oscar-Winning Sound Editing. Definitely recommend.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:58 pm

Random Poster wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:07 pm
Lost in Translation. Couldn't stand it and can't believe it is so highly rated.
Love that movie. To me it captures what can be the comfort and loneliness of traveling, especially when being in the middle of a dramatically different culture, as well as a general feeling of dissatisfaction in middle age. And there are a few parts, like the commercial shooting, with the overly verbose (in Japanese) director that crack me up.
jpelder wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:50 pm
I just watched Arrival https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543164/ last week (on Amazon)

A linguist with a tragic past gets recruited to communicate with aliens who land 12 ships across the Earth. Good acting by the main cast, an interesting premise, and Oscar-Winning Sound Editing. Definitely recommend.
Agree, very good movie. Takes a while to put the pieces together given the non linear time sequence,.
Last edited by JBTX on Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:59 pm

3:10 to Yuma

Best "new" Western
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:01 pm

TheHouse7 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:59 pm

Best "new" Western
I liked the "old" 3:10 to Yuma better. It starred Glenn Ford.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:33 pm

bengal22 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:01 pm
TheHouse7 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:59 pm

Best "new" Western
I liked the "old" 3:10 to Yuma better. It starred Glenn Ford.
I'll have to check it out!
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:59 pm

Watched a couple of movies on New Years Eve:

Mr. Church - a feel good movie set in the 1960s thur early 1980s....follows Eddie Murphy's role as a cook (Mr. Church) for a mother and daughter and the issues they must deal with. Really enjoyed it.

Michael Clayton - George Clooney plans a "fixer" in a law firm involved with a massive class action suit against their client - a chemical agriculture giant.

Enjoyed both.

Ed

BobDaBlob

Post by BobDaBlob » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:08 pm

Masterminds w/Zach Galifianakis, Kristen Wiig, Owen Wilson, Jason Sudekis...
"A guard at an armored car company in the Southern U.S. organizes one of the biggest bank heists in American history. Based on the October 1997 Loomis Fargo robbery."

Kind of silly/dumb (what else would you expect with this cast), but had some good laughs fwiw.
Too much of everything is just enough...

Ricola

Post by Ricola » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:52 pm

Fahrenheit 11/9, great! Michael Moore still fighting for Flint Mich.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:57 pm

steve roy wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:02 am
"Green Book" (directed by Peter Farelly of all people).

White Italian man from New Yawk drives a highly educated black pianist on his music tour through the deep south. Some narrative points are too on-the-nose (i.e., heavy-handed), but it's a good and interesting story and the principle actors give superlative performances.
We also saw this during the Christmas holidays. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The above is a good synopsis. Our 20-something children were not impressed being dragged to see it per family tradition, but they admitted afterwards that they also enjoyed it.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:23 am

JBTX wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:58 pm
Random Poster wrote:
Love that movie. To me it captures what can be the comfort and loneliness of traveling, especially when being in the middle of a dramatically different culture, as well as a general feeling of dissatisfaction in middle age. And there are a few parts, like the commercial shooting, with the overly verbose (in Japanese) director that crack me up.
I saw the movie in a theater when it came out and enjoyed it a lot. I remember thinking, at the time, that it's one of those movies that would have been much less effective on a smaller screen.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:34 am

MandyT wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:23 am
JBTX wrote:
Random Poster wrote:
I saw the movie in a theater when it came out and enjoyed it a lot. I remember thinking, at the time, that it's one of those movies that would have been much less effective on a smaller screen.
We watched "Lost in Translation" a couple of times before our first trip there in 2017.
And we've watched it several times again since then.

Yes, there were some aspects that we didn't identify with, but there were certainly quite a few that, after the trip, have brought some chuckles and memories to us...
Also, we were there "together", and some of the movie did involve someone there alone (or alone most of the time), and that would have exacerbated some of the similarities we noticed/felt.

We saw it on TV.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:36 am

I just watched The Departed for the first time. What an excellent film. I'm not sure what has taken me so long to watch it, but everything was superb.

SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:41 am

jumbopapa wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:36 am
I just watched The Departed for the first time. What an excellent film. I'm not sure what has taken me so long to watch it, but everything was superb.
The scene with Martin Sheen and 'Comfortably Numb' playing in the background. Amazing.

bpp

Post by bpp » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:50 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:34 am
MandyT wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:23 am
JBTX wrote:
Random Poster wrote:
We watched "Lost in Translation" a couple of times before our first trip there in 2017.
And we've watched it several times again since then.

Yes, there were some aspects that we didn't identify with, but there were certainly quite a few that, after the trip, have brought some chuckles and memories to us...
Also, we were there "together", and some of the movie did involve someone there alone (or alone most of the time), and that would have exacerbated some of the similarities we noticed/felt.

We saw it on TV.

RM
I thought the depiction of Japan was not very realistic. The prostitute scene, for example, was extremely... contrived, to be charitable. For that matter, even the non-Japanese secondary characters seemed hard to swallow.

Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson were pretty good, and if the movie featured only them, I would have enjoyed it more. But the 2-D, cliche’d surroundings around them kind of sank the movie as a whole for me.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:38 pm

Amazon: its curiosity* stream level offerings / "The Brain Fitness Program".
Directed by Eli Brown.
A Dr. Eagleman "The Brain" PBS / Season 1, w/6 episodes marked 1.99ea./play free w/prime.
or
Again Amazon prime:
"Do you Trust this Computer" A Diamond Docs production by Cris Payne-
Conspiracy : The Secret Birth of the Federal Reserve by Daniel Hopsicker- JKennedy, ALincoln, AJackson, and another president all attempted to remove the FedReserve, assassinations ensued.
Good luck!
Last edited by aspirit on Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

Van

Post by Van » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:11 pm

VICE. My wife and I liked it very much. Both of us have a very negative view of Dick Chaney. The movie reinforced that.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:20 pm

Van wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:11 pm
VICE. My wife and I liked it very much. Both of us have a very negative view of Dick Chaney. The movie reinforced that.
I'll wait till it gets to the small screen. Trying very hard to avoid politics here. While I may agree with some of your sentiments, I find some movies have an ideological slant and end up over simplifying complicated characters to depict a particular POV, and I find that off putting, even if I am sympathetic to that POV. While I don't know this to be true of this movie, that is what my gut tells me is what I would see here

gailwinters

Post by gailwinters » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:35 pm

We saw Green Book over the holidays and enjoyed it immensely. I thought the acting was superb.

We also saw Bohemian Rhapsody and thought it was fabulous. My husband said its the best musical movie he's ever seen. The actor playing Freddie Mercury was phenomenal, but we thought everybody in the movie was really good. The music was like icing on the cake.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:09 pm

The gunfight at OK Corral, an old western movie with Kirk Douglas. I think watching these types of movies preparing us for our trip to Montana. This is based on a real story, Wyatt Earp.

Edit to add, it was followed by The gunfight at Comanche Creek, really good western movie, but this one is not based on real story, hence I like the drama better.