What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
House Blend

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by House Blend » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:31 pm

Five stars for Springsteen on Broadway, on Netflix.

This is a film of his final broadway show. A capitivating mix of storytelling and songs. Much funnier and with much more emotional depth than I expected.

hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:36 pm

[Deleted]
Last edited by hdas on Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:52 pm

hdas wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:36 pm
ROMA. Dir.Alfonso Cuaron...Excellent.
I apparently am the only person on the planet who was left wondering what the big deal was.

MKGhandi

Post by MKGhandi » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:29 am

Last night I watched Bird box on Netflix. It is a nice movie show about how a woman survives an evil force and more. The movie is not available in all the countries around the word but you can access the Netflix US library with a Netflix VPN I am damn sure about it
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2737304/

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:33 pm

French Connection on PBS, somehow I didn’t see this movie even as a movie buff in my younger years. It was great to see NYC back in those days, I remember Times Square was very sketchy.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:56 pm

^^^ If you like NYC "back in those days", I highly recommend The Taking of Pelham 123 (1974). This is about a year after the French Connection.

If you've watched the French Connection, you've probably watched The Taking of Pelham 123 shortly afterwards. I did.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:29 pm

As noted in a whole thread about it, I thought "They Shall Not Grow Old" was fantastic. See the thread for details. It is currently playing only as an "event," with the second showing on December 27th, see https://www.fathomevents.com . I have no idea what the future plans for it are. It is good enough that I would recommend trying to see it on December 27th, it is almost sold out in our area.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:30 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:56 pm
^^^ If you like NYC "back in those days", I highly recommend The Taking of Pelham 123 (1974). This is about a year after the French Connection.

If you've watched the French Connection, you've probably watched The Taking of Pelham 123 shortly afterwards. I did.
I didn’t. It showed Gentlemen prefer Blondes and then French Conmection. But I will see if I can find that movie somehow.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:16 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg52up16eq0

Spider Man - into the Spider-verse

This is a "kid's" movie which was in many ways anything but. The basic plot is that a young kid of non-white ethnic origins gets bitten by the radioactive spider, and blunders into the confrontation between Kingpin & Spiderman. In effect, he becomes the new Spiderman.

He winds up being aided in his battle with Kingpin by a series of Spider-people from parallel universes. Spiderman the washed up 40-something with a gut, for example.

The creativity of both the animation and the characterization is endless. It is amazing how good CGI animation looks, now.

The film is both reverent to the various Spiderman movies and comics**, and riffs off them ruthlessly -- screamingly funny. There are knowing jabs at the Marvel Comics Universe (Sony owns the rights to Spiderman movies, Fox (now Disney) to Fantastic Four, and Disney to X-Men, Iron Man, the Avengers etc; thus Marvel can make a movie in which Spiderman appears but could not make a Spiderman movie*) and the copyright mess, the traditional superhero "Origins" movie (almost always the worst movie of any of them-- although to be fair Black Panther, Dr Strange and Wonder Woman all managed it credibly, and... I lose track of how many tropes of superhero films get satirized). Again straight out of the MCU, be sure and stay through the credits.

The original 1960s Spiderman animated series (with the unforgettable theme tune and the primitive animation) is referred to, as well.

We watched it on a Saturday morning, so the audience was full of young children who did not seem bored (it's very violent, but it is cartoon violence).

Maybe for my taste a few too many action chases (shades of The Incredibles - 1 & 2) but they did actually take time for plot and character development.

But I really thought this movie was for adults, at least adults who have grown up with Spiderman comics, animation and superhero movies.

Wait til you meet Aunt May ;-).

* did they resolve that in the latest Spiderman picture, which also had Iron Man? Not sure -- I lose track.

** there's definitely a theme there about the way Marvel comics themselves spun off parallel universes to tell different stories about the characters. Ultimates. Civil War. etc.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:25 am

bertilak wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:21 pm
Stumbled across and watched In Bruges on Netflix. I liked it and am not alone in that: From IMDB: Nominated for 1 Oscar. Another 24 wins & 53 nominations.

For adults. Strong language. Lots of violence.

Two hit men are taking time out in Bruges, Belgium. For a "time out," a lot happens! Whipsaws from humor, violence, pathos. The medieval city of Bruges is put to good use in creating the atmosphere.
In Bruges on Netflix. Thanks for the recommendation. The film is labeled as a mix of a "dark comedy and crime thriller". I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:43 am

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:30 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:56 pm

I didn’t. It showed Gentlemen prefer Blondes and then French Conmection. But I will see if I can find that movie somehow.
The remake (with Denzel Washington) was actually not that bad. But the original (Walter Matthau as the cop?) is par excellence. See also Serpico and Prince of the City. American Gangster recreates that world (again Denzel Washington, Russel Crowe) but was made in the 2000s.

This is the world of the novels of Ed McBain.

Death Wish is of course set in that milieu (Charles Bronson) but it's a creepy movie -- depicting the crimes to justify vigilante violence against the criminals.

Also The Warriors, about a gang trying to escape from Central Park down to Coney Island, pursued by other gangs. It's actually based on Xenophon's Anabasis, his (true) story of an army of Greek mercenaries who got on the wrong side of a Persian Civil War, and escaped across Turkey to the Black Sea. But you don't need to have spotted the classical reference (I certainly didn't) to get something out of the film - which is very good (albeit pretty strong stuff).

Light Sleeper (Susan Sarandon, Willem Defoe) is probably set in the late 70s/ early 80s but is a very good "New York" movie- -about drug dealers. Bright Lights, Big City (Michael J Fox) moves it up to the mid 1980s- -the discos and the drug taking etc. In that vein, the Whit Stilman films: Metropolitan, Barcelona & The Last Days of Disco are set in New York in the late 1970s (the middle one is part of the trilogy but is set in ... Barcelona).

For cameo shots of New York, Woodie Allen's films Annie Hall and Manhattan, cover that time period of the mid 70s. Taxi Driver is probably in there somewhere, as is Dog Day Afternoon.

Believe it or not the Science Fiction film with Kurt Russell Escape from New York, is based also on that late 1970s New York (forecast into a future where Manhattan is a prison).

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:48 pm

A great family movie we just saw was Mary Poppins Returns. It was very much in the style of the first movie, and very nostalgic for my wife and me. A very upbeat, positive movie.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

hmw

Post by hmw » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:48 pm

Just watched Aquaman with our 7-year old. It was a fun movie.

sonomasmiles

Post by sonomasmiles » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:22 pm

GREEN BOOK, fabulous movie, based on the true life story of the great pianist Don Shirley.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:39 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:48 pm
A great family movie we just saw was Mary Poppins Returns. It was very much in the style of the first movie, and very nostalgic for my wife and me. A very upbeat, positive movie.
My little sister won 20 tickets and $200 in concessions at her employer's Christmas party, so she took us all Saturday. Definitely not my cup of tea, but it was OK. My wife enjoyed it (she's pretty much a human version of Mary Poppins and looks a lot like Emily Blunt) and the kids thought it was fun. Like almost everything coming out these days, nothing new or creative whatsoever; follows the exact same formula as the original.

dorothyday

Post by dorothyday » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:00 am

45 Years.

From 2015, Charlotte Rampling got a Best Actress nomination. It's amazing that virtually everyone in the film is over 60. Very well done.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:31 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:39 am
willthrill81 wrote:
My little sister won 20 tickets and $200 in concessions at her employer's Christmas party, so she took us all Saturday. Definitely not my cup of tea, but it was OK. My wife enjoyed it (she's pretty much a human version of Mary Poppins and looks a lot like Emily Blunt) and the kids thought it was fun. Like almost everything coming out these days, nothing new or creative whatsoever; follows the exact same formula as the original.
I haven’t seen the new version but if it’s so similar one wonders what the point was in making it, besides the obvious money angle. The original was so good who could top it?

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:12 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:31 pm
stoptothink wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
I haven’t seen the new version but if it’s so similar one wonders what the point was in making it, besides the obvious money angle. The original was so good who could top it?
Well, it wasn't a superhero movie or live-action remake of a former cartoon, which sets it apart from about 75% of new movies. TV is so much better than movies these days.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:28 pm

Dan Mahowny family will watch Christmas Vacation this evening.

It's our Christmas Eve tradition.
Funding secured

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:30 pm

House Blend wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:31 pm
Five stars for Springsteen on Broadway, on Netflix.

This is a film of his final broadway show. A capitivating mix of storytelling and songs. Much funnier and with much more emotional depth than I expected.
Watched the first part last night. Really enjoyed and will finish up over the next few days. I particularly appreciated his poking fun at himself - his songs about how he had to get away from where he grew up (it's a suicide rap / a death trap), then say he's moved all of 10 minutes away from there. How, he wrote all these songs about being a blue collar worker / factory worker, and has never set foot in a factory. Memories of father and mother were especially touching and revealing. My wife downloaded his autobiography on Audible and read / listened to, and I plan to tackle in early 2019.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:00 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:12 pm
Nicolas wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
Well, it wasn't a superhero movie or live-action remake of a former cartoon, which sets it apart from about 75% of new movies. TV is so much better than movies these days.
I definitely agree that TV is generally superior to the big screen these days. It's amazing how little creativity exists in Hollywood anymore. But the superhero and remakes are what consumers are paying to see these days, so that's why they make it I suppose.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

MJW

Post by MJW » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:04 pm

Nicolas wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
Perhaps they could have made an edgier version for the modern age. Maybe combine it thematically with something like Death Wish.

"Mary Poppins is back. And this time revenge is best served with a spoonful of sugar."

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:06 pm

MJW wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:04 pm
Nicolas wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
Perhaps they could have made an edgier version for the modern age. Maybe combine it thematically with something like Death Wish.

"Mary Poppins is back. And this time revenge is best served with a spoonful of sugar."
Ha ha, great idea — what might’ve been!
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:54 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:28 pm

Same here. We watched Scrooged last night. :)
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:07 pm

Vice - Lots of talent went into making this dramedy about Dick Cheney and the Iraq war. How the end product could end up being this disjointed and boring is hard to fathom. And this despite Christian Bale being an excellent Dick Cheney (the physical transformation is amazing) and Amy Adams being a great Lynn Cheney. :thumbsdown

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:14 pm

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:17 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:00 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:12 pm
Nicolas wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
I definitely agree that TV is generally superior to the big screen these days. It's amazing how little creativity exists in Hollywood anymore. But the superhero and remakes are what consumers are paying to see these days, so that's why they make it I suppose.
Plus it seems like no one can sit still and quiet for a 90 minute movie anymore. I usually leave the theater annoyed and wishing I had just waited a couple of months until it's available to rent. Although, I'm glad I saw Free Solo on the big screen.

MJW

Post by MJW » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:39 am

DanMahowny wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:28 pm

This is going to happen in about five minutes here...

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:45 am

Last night we watched It's A Wonderful Life with our children and grandchildren :) .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:36 am

We watched "Miss Sloane", with Jessica Chastain, last night.

We aren't sure how we missed it when it first came out, but we just didn't remember hearing about it.

It was a very pleasant surprise, with the plot a bit more interesting than we had expected.
(We also think a few scenes had been edited out, perhaps due to timing constraint of TV. We later looked up the story online, and don't remember seeing a few specific bits. Of course, we've seen that happen many times with other movies, but that's usually because we saw another 'version' that did have what was left out of a later editing.)

There were a few interesting surprises in the plot.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:09 pm

Today we watched The Grinch Who Stole Christmas.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

mcadams089

Post by mcadams089 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:43 pm

I watched a screener of First Man last night. Enjoyed it, nice personal story about the life of Neil Armstrong around the time of his famous trip to the moon.

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:48 pm

Harold + Kumar Christmas. Love the Radio City Rockettes scene. LOL.

MNGopher

Post by MNGopher » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:23 pm

SGM wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:11 pm
88 year old Clint Eastwood in The Mule. It was enjoyable on a rainy afternoon.
Saw The Mule yesterday. I thought it was alright. Kind of Grand Torino mixed with Breaking Bad but not nearly as good as either of those.

MariaT

Post by MariaT » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:47 pm

Just returned from watching Mary Poppins Returns with my husband and daughter today and what a way to end Christmas day. I must say the movie was wonderfully amazing and Emily Blunt was fantastic and nailed it as Mary Poppins. Though some might say it had “less spoonful of sugar” Emily took it up a notch as Mary, and, like I said she nailed it! Honestly, I enjoyed it so much I don’t mind seeing it again.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:17 pm

The Caine Mutiny (1954) Humphrey Bogart, Van Johnson, Fred McMurray, José Ferrer, Robert Francis, E.G. Marshall, Lee Marvin, Claude Akins. Based on Herman Wouk novel. A paranoid ship’s captain is relieved of his command during WWII in what is seen as a mutinous act. Note: There has never been a mutiny in a ship of The United States Navy. Not my first viewing. Wonderful as always.

Note: Michael Caine took his stage name from this movie. He was in a phone booth in London when he was told by his agent that he couldn’t use his real name “Michael Scott” because another actor was using it. He looked up at a theater marquee and saw this film’s title displayed.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:24 pm

Bird Box on Netflix. Pretty good.
Taxable: VTSAX and VTIAX || Tax Deferred: VTWAX

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:50 am

Our Christmas tradition is to watch one of the Bond movies while I prep for food. This year, it’s Casino Royal, excellent movie. Plus it’s appropriate because I’ve just been to a local casino recently and did get to play some poker games, so it’s still fresh in my mind.

KnowNth

Post by KnowNth » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:01 pm

Shoplifters just becomes my favorite movie of the year.

Winner of Cannes film festival, the movie starts with a seemingly terrible premise: a family that teaches children to steal. Yet subtly, secrets are revealed and motivations are questioned. All the quite and calm storytelling leads up to a super impactful ending.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:57 pm

MariaT wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:47 pm
Just returned from watching Mary Poppins Returns with my husband and daughter today and what a way to end Christmas day. I must say the movie was wonderfully amazing and Emily Blunt was fantastic and nailed it as Mary Poppins. Though some might say it had “less spoonful of sugar” Emily took it up a notch as Mary, and, like I said she nailed it! Honestly, I enjoyed it so much I don’t mind seeing it again.
I'm glad to see that we weren't the only ones who enjoyed it. My parents saw it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it as well. I liked the way that they kept the thematic elements parallel to the first movie but with a different story line and new songs. I also think that Ben Whishaw, who played Michael, did an excellent job.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:07 pm

Lost in Translation. Couldn't stand it and can't believe it is so highly rated.

Beirut. Captivating and moves quickly. Very darkly filmed though, so it can be hard on the eyes to watch.

Definitely, Maybe. Better than I expected. Worth 2 hours of my time. Above average romantic comedy.

Game Night. Engaging, but with a few plot twists and holes that diminish the overall enjoyment.

hmw

Post by hmw » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:01 pm

We watched “A Christmas Carol” and “elf” over Xmas.

RightGuard

Post by RightGuard » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:17 pm

Children of Men.

My favorite kind of Sci-Fi. There was some fairly obvious social commentary which the filmmakers depicted in... a relatively straight forward manner. Some others where done nice and subtle.

Several nice moments of black comedy, which I appreciated.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:25 pm

Just saw Vice.

Enjoyed it immensely.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:37 pm

Prison Break season 5 on Hulu.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." || Buy Total Stock until it hurts. Then find a way to buy even more!

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:14 am

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:52 pm
hdas wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:36 pm
ROMA. Dir.Alfonso Cuaron...Excellent.
I apparently am the only person on the planet who was left wondering what the big deal was.
Ok now you've got company-watched it on Netflix last night and first impression was that's 2+ hours of my life I'll never get back. Second impression: huh?! THIS is the amazing, wonderful, touching, tender, blahblahblah film of the year...um, sorry no not for me.

Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:02 am

Post deleted....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:08 pm

Just saw Aquaman yesterday. I was getting tired of the comic book movie genre, but I enjoyed this, Deadpool 2 a while back, and Wonder Woman last year.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:10 am

CyclingDuo wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:25 pm
Just saw Vice.

Enjoyed it immensely.
That and Hank’ about Paulson, both well made.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:37 am

Just watched again the political film "Contender", with Joan Allen and Jeff Bridges.
Great casting of key characters.

A terrific and timely story line (again, now).

We think this is a real sleeper; not sure why it didn't get more notice.

For some reason, I remembered the penultimate scene (which could have been the complete ending, too), but not the *final* scene/outcome.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.