What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dm200

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by dm200 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:09 pm

With all the recent talk about "Gaslighting", I watched the two different 1940's versions (found free online) of "Gaslight". I had seen the one with Ingrid Bergman before, but nice to see it again. Then, the one a few years earlier with a slightly different story line was great to watch as well.

timmy

Post by timmy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:10 pm

A Star is Born

Spouse and I both enjoyed it

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:12 pm

"A Star Is Born"

Really, really good and great soundtrack. I'm impressed that Bradley Cooper could write/direct, sing, and act.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:14 pm

Hold The Dark on Netflix.

It's dark. It was good up until the ending.

rvflyer

Post by rvflyer » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:39 am

"First Man" Well done treatment of the human side of putting a man on the moon. If you ever had a claustrophobic pang after seeing how much room is inside the Gemini capsule, the Gemini launch in this film is for you! This is a less glitzy but still entertaining version of "The Right Stuff".

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:03 am

Pulp fiction
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

bo105954027

Post by bo105954027 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:49 am

"A Star is Born"
- Amazing performance by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper. Gaga's natural face is more beautiful than her usually exaggerated makeups. All OST's are beautifully written and performed. Gaga's voice is so powerful that she's much more than Poker Face and deserves serious singing awards.

"First Man"
- Men's journey to landing on the moon. I enjoyed all the launch mission parts while slept through all family parts (too cliche). What needs to highlight is that though this is not a music drama, the symphonic and vocal soundtracks in this movie are spectacular!

"Venom"
- Popcorn movie. It's OK.
Time in market beats timing the market.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:38 pm

rvflyer wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:39 am
"First Man" Well done treatment of the human side of putting a man on the moon. If you ever had a claustrophobic pang after seeing how much room is inside the Gemini capsule, the Gemini launch in this film is for you! This is a less glitzy but still entertaining version of "The Right Stuff".
Yes - I want to see this. At some museum, I recall seeing either a Mercury or Gemini capsule. VERY SMALL>

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:02 am

Something to look forward to, Peter Jackson's "They Shall Not Grow Old". It's out now in the UK.
To mark the centenary of the first world war’s end, Peter Jackson has created a visually staggering thought experiment; an immersive deep-dive into what it was like for ordinary British soldiers on the western front. This he has done using state-of-the-art digital technology to restore flickery old black-and-white archive footage of the servicemen’s life in training and in the trenches. He has colourised it, sharpened it, put it in 3D and, as well as using diaries and letters for narrative voiceover, he has used lip-readers to help dub in what the men are actually saying.

The effect is electrifying. The soldiers are returned to an eerie, hyperreal kind of life in front of our eyes, like ghosts or figures summoned up in a seance. The faces are unforgettable.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/o ... er-jackson
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/entertainme ... s-director
https://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/t ... 81266/amp/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfomV9GrL6c

ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:56 am

Saw Free Solo last Friday. Loved it. And it was fun to experience it in a sold-out theater of (mostly) other climbers.

My parents went a few days later and really enjoyed it as well.
Mike Piper, author/blogger

Post by 123 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:46 pm

I saw "Halloween (2018)" last night on preview night. I was very disappointed in about the first 20 minutes of the movie, it seemed like it was taking forever to get anywhere. But then things picked up and kept on going until the end. It was scripted as if the movies after the original Halloween never happened so in that respect it was easy to track the plot. There are lots of homages to the first Halloween, as a fan I really enjoyed that. This sequel captures the style of the first Halloween very well.

If you liked the first Halloween you'll like Halloween (2018).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:53 pm

The Sisters Brothers. A very fine offbeat Western. Recommended.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018 ... ge-western

First Man. It's exciting and engrossing, but the psychological interpretation of Neil Armstrong nearly derails the movie.

Bad Times at the El Royale. If you like Tarantino movies you will probably enjoy this. Jeff Bridges is very good.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/11/movi ... eview.html

Conch55

Post by Conch55 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Game Night. It has been mentioned before but I thought it was a fun movie with plenty of twists and humor.

hdas

Post by hdas » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:27 pm

Free Solo.
Alex Honnold climbing El Cap 3000ft with no rope in 3h
:shock: :shock: :shock:

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:44 pm

Saw Won’t you be my Neighbor—Mr Roger’s Documentary—very good (even though neither I nor H nor kids enjoyed his tv show.
Crooked House — interesting Agatha Christie movie; well- acted and left me surprised (I’m horrible at solving mysteries).
Paddington2 was cute.

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:54 am

Recently watched, Land of Mine 2017 rated R. A very good movie that's not for everybody but more people should watch. It's a reminder that the horror or war doesn't stop when one side surrenders but sadly continues beyond.

CoAndy

Post by CoAndy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:31 am

Halloween. I really enjoyed. Best horror movie to come out in a long while.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:11 am

“The Game” on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:28 am

Gosnell

Creepy. More of a documentary but well done.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:47 am

The Old Man & the Gun
Lots of hype and attention for this film and despite the star
quality(Redford/Spacek et al) I found the movie to be somewhat
mediocre and monotonous. Based loosely on career criminal
Forrest Tucker(not to be confused with F Troop Forrest Tucker)
this bank robber, like a kleptomaniac, just can't help himself,
he must rob banks.
The recurring motif is the the polite, cheerful, genteel, disposition
of Tucker. Even though this is suppose to be comedic, I can't get all
warm and fuzzy about romanticizing crime (a la Bonnie and Clyde)
albeit crime with a "light touch".
The detective (Casey Affleck) on the trail of Tucker, spends the whole
movie in a perpetual state of someone just waking up---a modern,
crackly voice "method actor". If I had to give the movie a letter grade
it would be C+. Others may love it but for me it was just ok.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:45 pm

'Bohemian Rhapsody'. DW and I both loved it. DW said the critics didn't like it and indeed Rotten Tomatoes Critics is 59% and 49 on Metacritic but Audience is 93% and 85 respectively. I don't know if the critics missed the 70s and 80s and the HIV epidemic but it was a powerful depiction of the trial of a very talented man and those around him. Will see it again.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:26 pm

Looking forward to watching Bohemian Rhapsody. I was in college in the 80s, so yeah, I get Queen’s music and can connect to the era.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:43 am

First Man - liked it

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Destination Wedding. I didn’t expect to like it but was pleasantly surprised!
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

FGal

Post by FGal » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:08 pm

A Man Called Ove (2015, Swedish/subtitles)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4080728/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I loved it. Absolutely loved it. The husband too. He hadn't expected to like it, but it was funny, poignant, and made you cry too.

Going Postal (2010)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219817/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It's actually a 2 part mini series (based on a Terry Pratchett Discworld story). Really enjoyed it, but it's a bit scifi/magic-y so might not be to everyone's taste.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:21 pm

When looking for a movie to watch the other night on Amazon Prime I saw one I had watched years ago.

Who could forget that great movie classic Motel Hell?

It is kinda like watching a slow train wreck. You just can't help but to watch.

The movie is so bad, awful, terrible, but you just can't turn it off!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

thrifty_one

Post by thrifty_one » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:29 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:21 pm
When looking for a movie to watch the other night on Amazon Prime I saw one I had watched years ago.

Broken Man 1999
Wow - i remember seeing that one @ a drive-in theatre in 1982.. scene i remember most vividly is the one where the people were buried up to their necks so they could be fed i before being slaughtered. Great high school fun!

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:05 pm

thrifty_one wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:29 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:21 pm

Broken Man 1999
Wow - i remember seeing that one @ a drive-in theatre in 1982.. scene i remember most vividly is the one where the people were buried up to their necks so they could be fed i before being slaughtered. Great high school fun!

Yep.

And Farmer Vincent was an early adopter of the "no artificial ingredients" movement. He had great pride in delivering a quality sausage product free of chemical addititives. Yum Yum! :D

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:43 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:43 am
First Man - liked it
I thought First Man was fantastic.

Avoided most of the usual heroics around astronaut films.

Without slighting either their bravery nor the riskiness of the enterprise.

Claire Foy as Neil Armstrong 's wife was just amazing.
Last edited by Valuethinker on Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bpp

Post by bpp » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:39 pm

Fritz Lang’s “M.” I had seen “Metropolis” (1927), which is visually very interesting, but which I thought had kind of an oddly limp moral. Anti-climactic. But, maybe I just don’t understand the era well enough for the message to have had its intended effect.

“M” was his first sound picture (1931), and he pulled out all the stops. Visually arresting, great use of sound, and an ending that would befit a modern-day movie. Surprised the heck out of me, and I can see why some say he was ahead of his time. Plus a mesmerizing performance from Peter Lorre, in what I think was his first film role. Two thumbs up.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:09 pm

Bad Times at the El Royale - I do not think that this was a great movie BUT it was certainly a movie that was so well written that no one could predict the next scene.

Mile 33 This was one of the more disappointing movies - too much "shoot it out."

Game Night A clever and fun movie with many twists.

Mid 90s It would be a great movie with good lessons for teens BUT honestly, the language and situations are far too raw.

White Boy Rick An interesting and surprisingly honest view of the Detroit crack culture in the late 80s. Well woth seeing.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:08 pm

A Star Is Born. Great movie. Very impressed by both Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga.

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:19 pm

6miths wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:45 pm
'Bohemian Rhapsody'. DW and I both loved it. DW said the critics didn't like it and indeed Rotten Tomatoes Critics is 59% and 49 on Metacritic but Audience is 93% and 85 respectively. I don't know if the critics missed the 70s and 80s and the HIV epidemic but it was a powerful depiction of the trial of a very talented man and those around him. Will see it again.
Thanks, 6miths, both for your (and Ms. 6miths) endorsement, and the interesting data points on critics vs. audience. Candidly, I really don't care what non-GenX critics think; I'm looking forward to seeing "Bohemian Rhapsody". Anyone of a certain era will "get it". Those who aren't (understandably) won't. That's ok - They had the Rolling Stones, or The Beatles, or Frank Sinatra, or Britney Spears, or Taylor Swift, or whomever "spoke" (or better said, whose work still "speaks") to them. Bottom line: Rational as most BHs are and aspire to be better at (self included), there's a place for that place that artists speak to, no matter their medium.

For my part, Queen's "A Night at the Opera" was among the first LPs I ever bought with my saved-up allowance/odd job money when it came out in '75. At $9.99+tax at the mall record store, that was a LOT of money to my pre-teen self back then and I vividly remember digging deep into my pockets and pushing my rolled-up singles and coins across the counter to the cashier, lol. But oh! what joy it brought once I'd saved enough and bought it. I played it over and over. SoAnyway....

Like A-Commoner, I was in college when the AIDS epidemic hit. Freddie Mercury, nee Farrokh Bulsara, was a musical genius, a brilliant performer, and had the amazing magical ability to make every single person in a stadium of 100,000+ people believe that he was speaking directly to just THEM. BTW, no need for anyone reading to take this random internet stranger's word for it - The likes of David Bowie, Roger Daltry, et al. have said as much. (see link above)

I was saddened when he died (RIP), and maybe saddened even more years later that he didn't live long enough to benefit from the amazing medical developments that have transformed HIV/AIDS from the certain death sentence it was in the 80s to the no doubt difficult, but very manageable, condition it is these days. Had he lived just a bit longer, perhaps we'd all have benefitted even more from his extraordinary talents.

A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:29 am

Just came back from seeing Bohemian Rhapsody. Screw the critics, this is a superb movie. It’s a funny and sad creation story (officially sanctioned by the surviving band members) of Queen - a nostalgic look into 70s and 80s pop culture that produced the band and which it would influence in return. Contrary to claims by the naysayers that it glossed over Freddie Mercury’s sexuality and the AIDS epidemic, Bohemian Rhapsody presents these issues as the central sources of conflict that drive the story forward. You exit the theater with an overwhelming feeling of understanding, sympathy, and compassion for gay people in the identity and existential crises that they have to confront. The negative reviews make me wonder if the reviewers watched the same movie I watched.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:14 am

Traveling Salesman, on Amazon Prime. This movie is categorized as an "sci-fi thriller". The science is computer science, and I would say it's closer to a social commentary - but with an intriguing dialog. It's a nice change of pace and makes you think.

You don't need to understand math to watch this movie. However, this will help: P versus NP problem

I didn't like the constant movement of the camera as it focused on the scene. If you are trying to make the scene dramatic, it's a good technique. In this case, the movement was excessive and detracted from the overall quality of the film. Eventually, your brain accommodates to the motion and it's less annoying.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:26 am

Freefun wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:44 pm
Destination Wedding. I didn’t expect to like it but was pleasantly surprised!
Watched it last night based on this comment and LOL funny dialog, so long as you like sarcasm...and I do!!!

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Really loving the second season of Westworld. It’s amazing that we have this level of TV available to us, at the push of a button.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:18 pm

^^^ Consider posting that in: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

GCD

Post by GCD » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:25 pm

I recently re-watched The Duellists with my family. Everyone enjoyed it, teenagers and adults. It was Ridley Scott's first time directing and features Harvey Keitel and David Carradine as two officers in Napoleon's army that have a long simmering feud with each other resulting in a half dozen duels over 30 years or so. It was filmed in 1977, but because it is a historical film it doesn't seem dated. It has a 92% Rotten Tomatoes rating and I highly recommend it. Character development, a good plot and lots of action.

itsf8

Post by itsf8 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:53 pm

The Man Who Knew Infinity - available on DVD

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:17 pm

The Leisure Seeker (2017) Donald Sutherland, Helen Mirren. I like Sutherland and there were some funny bits but on the whole I found it depressing. I’ve seen too many movies lately about ageing and dementia, it’s really getting old! I liked the discussions about Hemingway.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:45 pm

Caught Life of Brian, 1979, on Netflix. I don't know how I missed it all these years. I was certainly aware of it but somehow never got to see it. It is one funny movie.

It came out two years after Star Wars, explaining one aspect of the movie. I will say no more!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Game Night - loved it.

22July on Netflix - based on real life terror event in Oslo and at children’s camp in Norway. Probably not for everyone (some scenes hard to watch) but I thought it was fast paced and really well done.

DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:20 pm

1996 HBO version of Gotti ... of the few minutes I watched of the recent Travolta version plus others comments, overwhelming sentiment is that the HBO version is far superior

Elena

Post by Elena » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:57 pm

- Master and Commander. I expected somewhat more, but I might read the book.
- The Place beyond the Pines. It was a decent movie.
I will add that I watched Ozark (Netflix), and it has excellent female character development. Four of them really take care of the entire season 2, different ages, different backgrounds. Also, some of the closing scences are well cared for. I was very pleased to see writers devote craft to the script, and directors to the visual aspect of the show.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:55 pm

A-Commoner wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:29 am
Just came back from seeing Bohemian Rhapsody. Screw the critics, this is a superb movie. It’s a funny and sad creation story (officially sanctioned by the surviving band members) of Queen - a nostalgic look into 70s and 80s pop culture that produced the band and which it would influence in return. Contrary to claims by the naysayers that it glossed over Freddie Mercury’s sexuality and the AIDS epidemic, Bohemian Rhapsody presents these issues as the central sources of conflict that drive the story forward. You exit the theater with an overwhelming feeling of understanding, sympathy, and compassion for gay people in the identity and existential crises that they have to confront. The negative reviews make me wonder if the reviewers watched the same movie I watched.
Agreed it was a good movie, hopefully the blue ray release will add the 1.5 hours they cut out.

I took the wife and kid who only know one Queen song (BR from Wayne's World) and they enjoyed the movie so it wasn't just for fans like me.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:58 pm

FGal wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:08 pm
A Man Called Ove (2015, Swedish/subtitles)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4080728/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I loved it. Absolutely loved it. The husband too. He hadn't expected to like it, but it was funny, poignant, and made you cry too.
Based on this recommendation, watched it and really did enjoy it. Wife is no fan of sub titles, as she works in front of her computer for long stints, but even she agreed very well composed with characters you come to care about.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:12 am

Charade, on Amazon Prime.

This is a classic thriller/romance starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, with Walter Matthau and James Coburn as the villains. This is an excellent movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:21 pm

Stumbled across and watched In Bruges on Netflix. I liked it and am not alone in that: From IMDB: Nominated for 1 Oscar. Another 24 wins & 53 nominations.

For adults. Strong language. Lots of violence.

Two hit men are taking time out in Bruges, Belgium. For a "time out," a lot happens! Whipsaws from humor, violence, pathos. The medieval city of Bruges is put to good use in creating the atmosphere.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:20 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:12 am
Charade, on Amazon Prime.

This is a classic thriller/romance starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, with Walter Matthau and James Coburn as the villains. This is an excellent movie.
Also liked the film, a mixture of suspense, thriller, witty romantic comedy, mystery, and spoof of it all, plus great music by Henry Mancini (love the rhythm in the opening). Especially remember the brief scene between Matthau and Hepburn when Matthau, acting as a CIA agent, explains the background of the case to her. By now, fearing for her life, she nervously asks "What's this got to do with the CIO?" Matthau's initial response is great comedic timing.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle