What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
amateurnovice

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by amateurnovice » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:22 pm

The Witch (2015) Anya Taylor-Joy, Kate Dickie, Ralph Ineson. A New England folktale. Horror. Decent horror. 4.5/5

Thororoughbreds (2018) Olivia Cooke, Anya Taylor-Joy, Anton Yelchin (his last film before he died in 2016). Thriller. Kinda boring but stylish. 3.5/5

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) Up there with The Empire Strikes Back as one of the best of the saga. 5/5

The Hoax (2006) Richard Gere, Alfred Molina, Stanley Tucci. When you don't think he'll dig himself any deeper, he goes and digs himself deeper. The movie about the fake autobiography of Howard Hughes. 3/5

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:27 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:23 am

Ava

This film highlights the trials and tribulations of a teenage girl
growing up in modern Iran. Ultra-strict schools and social systems
almost force the female students to find ways to circumvent the
suffocation of this environment.
The ending is ambiguous and a particular scene where the main
character deliberately punctures herself with a pair of scissors
is off-putting to say the least. Some positive elements but not
enough for a recommendation.
Note: Not to be confused with another Ava(2017), a French movie,
this is Ava(2017), an Iranian movie

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:20 pm

I saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom last Thursday. I haven't seen its prequel yet.

bpp

Post by bpp » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:11 am

flamesabers wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:20 pm
I saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom last Thursday. I haven't seen its prequel yet.
I also saw Fallen Kingdom, and didn't even realize there had been a prequel to it. Seemed like the same old stuff, though. Dinos go on rampage, some humans get munched. Kind of a hint at the end that they may be heading in the direction of the recent Planet of the Apes movies, which might be interesting.

Jeff Goldblum puts in an appearance, but his character is still the frustratingly useless one it has always been in this series. You're a mathematician, a chaos theorist, you should be able to contribute something more concrete than simply endlessly restating Murphy's Law. Go and calculate the fractal dimension of ...something... and tell us something useful. The Andromeda Strain scientists didn't just sit around trying to sound Wise and Weary, they got down into the nitty gritty details of trying to determine how an alien virus worked, and shared those details with the audience in a way that made it interesting and exciting. That was the genius that got me hooked on Michael Crichton as a kid. He seemed to have lost that feel for making science come alive over time, culminating in the disappointing characterization of Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park. If you're going to have a mathematician character, have them engage in some actual mathematics!

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:32 pm

bpp wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:11 am
Seemed like the same old stuff, though. Dinos go on rampage, some humans get munched.
Yeah, they definitely reused that particular storyline. I wonder though if that's the constraint of this particular franchise? I mean, how could a Jurassic movie be a Jurassic movie without dinos engaging in mayhem? As Alan Grant said in the first movie, considering man and dinosaurs were separated by 65 million years of evolution, how can we know what to expect.

With that said, I think the movie did a very good job of humanizing the dinosaurs. In the earlier Jurassic Park movies I saw, my impression were the dinosaurs were split into one of two categories: the herbivore dinosaurs who are benign giants but might accidently kill you by stepping on you and the carnivore dinosaurs whose sole purpose is to kill humans. It's hard for us humans to relate to either role. In Fallen Kingdom, all of the dinosaurs are trying desperately to escape from a natural disaster. In addition, the carnivore dinosaurs do more on the screen then just hunt down humans.

From what I've heard, there's another movie in the works to be released in 2021.
bpp wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:11 am
Jeff Goldblum puts in an appearance, but his character is still the frustratingly useless one it has always been in this series.
I also wished Goldblum's character played a bigger role in this film.

MJW

Post by MJW » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:39 pm

Spouse and I tried watching the new (2017) CHiPs movie and ditched it within the first 15 min. It's been a while since we've bailed on a movie.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:39 pm

We watched "Sicario" (Emily Blount) this weekend.

Very good movie weighting the good and bad about CIA involvement in the Mexican heroin cartel. I really enjoyed it and gave a great platform for discussion....what steps should be taken in the opiod war?

Not a movie, but what the heck....Episode 3 of "Sharp Objects". Read the book years ago. This one seems be be receiving great reviews, but it is moving very slowly for us. Ep. 3 seemed better. Comments from others viewing this....

Ed

brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:51 pm

Finally watched Hostiles yesterday.

"Rented" it for free on an Amazon Prime Day deal.

A dark and somber western genre/military on the frontier in the late 1800s film.

I enjoyed it, and will likely buy a DVD/Blu Ray for my collection.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:23 pm

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, cable on-demand at a friend's house. (Free with their cable package.) There's enough action to keep you interested and was somewhat creative. Not bad. PG-13.

I thought this was almost as good as the original version (Robin Williams).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:25 pm

MP173 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:39 pm
...Not a movie, but what the heck....Episode 3 of "Sharp Objects". Read the book years ago. This one seems be be receiving great reviews, but it is moving very slowly for us. Ep. 3 seemed better. Comments from others viewing this....
It's better discussed here: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

bpp

Post by bpp » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:07 pm

flamesabers wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:32 pm
With that said, I think the movie did a very good job of humanizing the dinosaurs.
Yes, they certainly had more developed personalities than they used to. Which is probably good for developing more interesting storylines.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:45 pm

MP173 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:39 pm
We watched "Sicario" (Emily Blount) this weekend.

Very good movie weighting the good and bad about CIA involvement in the Mexican heroin cartel. I really enjoyed it and gave a great platform for discussion....what steps should be taken in the opiod war?

Not a movie, but what the heck....Episode 3 of "Sharp Objects". Read the book years ago. This one seems be be receiving great reviews, but it is moving very slowly for us. Ep. 3 seemed better. Comments from others viewing this....

Ed
Sicario: Day of the Soldado is also quite good.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:59 pm

We binged on "The Staircase" this week which is a murder trial documentary involving Michael Peterson from 2001 to 2017.

Produced by same directors as "Making of a Murderer" (which we havent watched), this was quite a long term look at a trial, including the investigators, defense team, and family.

Really enjoyed this show.

Ed

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:23 pm

Just saw "Won't you be my neighbor".....what a guy Mr Rogers was...a genius, a humanitarian and a selfless man. You've got to see it!
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:28 pm

MP173 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:59 pm
We binged on "The Staircase" this week which is a murder trial documentary involving Michael Peterson from 2001 to 2017.
I watched that recently as well and agree it was excellent.

Just watched My Friend Dahmer last night which is a film about a young Jeffrey Dahmer. Enjoyed the film but it's something I would describe as heavy rather than entertaining because I am still thinking about it today. Made me consider a lot of issues like mental health treatment, nature vs. nuture, etc.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:26 pm

MI Fallout. It did make me want to jump out of things.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

spencer99

Post by spencer99 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:17 am

Good westerns are rare now days, but I watched a good one this week. "Hostiles" is not a classically traditional western - more morally ambiguous than typical of the genre. But certainly set in that place/time, wonderfully acted, beautifully filmed, with exciting action scenes,. The film is structured as a journey both physical and personal and largely works. Recommended for both western fans and those who may not usually like westerns. (The only actor I knew was Christian Bale who was excellent.)

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:35 pm

We watch "Shooter" season 2 on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:08 pm

The Greatest Showman

I am behind in my movie watching.

I really enjoyed this. PT Barnum and Jenny Lind as a musical. Very good music.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:46 pm

Wife and I went to see Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

From the review in the Onion by Peter Rosenthal -

"A film you can choose to enjoy for the perfectly fine piece of entertainment it is, or live out the rest of your existence as a miserable killjoy who slogs through life recoiling at anything remotely joyful or upbeat in the world. Your choice."

travellight

Post by travellight » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:39 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:46 pm

"A film you can choose to enjoy for the perfectly fine piece of entertainment it is, or live out the rest of your existence as a miserable killjoy who slogs through life recoiling at anything remotely joyful or upbeat in the world. Your choice."
I love that quote, thanks for sharing it. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie as campy fun. The actress who plays young Donna is a revelation.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:05 pm

Here's a link to the full review on youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFABajBNDJg

Warning, there is some non-family friendly language...

MJW

Post by MJW » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:00 pm

Watched Unsane last night. Claire Foy's character relocates hundreds of miles away to escape a stalker, and then believes that the stalker is working at the mental institution where she is being held against her will.

Overall, I didn't think it was very good. The premise had potential, but I thought the execution of story was lazy and implausible, and the outcome was dull and overly obvious for what you would expect with this type of movie. It would be difficult to elaborate without giving too much away.

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:09 pm

The latest Mission Impossible - Fallout movie. It was a real cliffhanger(literally). :happy

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:25 am

Artful Dodger wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:46 pm

We saw Mama Mia! Here We Go Again last Friday. It is not as good as the original, but still worthwhile.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:32 pm

This weekend's movies (so far):

Adrift - While the visuals were great, there was very little to justify a movie of those length.

Christopher Robins - All in all a very good movie. I thought there were more lessons directed to adults than to the children in the audience although would enjoy.

Eighth Grade - A good movie that captures the awkwardness and difficulties of middle school. The REAL SHAME about this movie is that it is rated "R" which means that the pre-teens and early teens who would benefit from watching this movie will likely not see it.

Three Identical Strangers - A documentary regarding the reunification of identical triplets in the 1980s. The first portion of the film was quite enjoyable. However, the balance of the movie dealt with the adoption agency that allowed the brothers to be separated so that they could be subjects of a psychological study.

snowox

Post by snowox » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:05 pm

new2bogle wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:11 pm
MJW wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:55 pm
Nicolas wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:12 pm
Into The Wild (2007) Emile Hirsch, Vince Vaughn, Hal Holbrook. Directed by Sean Penn. Mostly true story of Christopher McCandless (AKA Alexander Supertramp) who drops out, abandons his family, gives away and burns all of his money, and hitchhikes to Alaska where he takes up residence in an abandoned bus in the wilderness so he can achieve true happiness. Instead, being woefully ill-prepared, he starves to death in the bus. Tedious and unintentionally funny. Don't waste your time.
After reading the book I had no interest in seeing the movie. It doesn't sound like I'm missing out.
Very interesting, I did not read the book but I really liked the movie. I think in the end he gets what he wanted (according to the movie). My wife did not like it :D

Like you i did not read the book but enjoyed the movie as well!

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:08 pm

Equalizer 2. Didn't like it (I liked the first one).
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:30 am

A Kid Like Jake

In New York City the applications for quality private schools far exceed the
available allotments for young children and parents pull all available strings
in this hypercompetitive quest to secure a spot. A 30ish Brooklyn couple
are sometimes in harmony and sometimes at odds about what is best for
their young son.
The man is an event tempered, Mr. Rogers-like guy who is a psychotherapist
and the woman is a lawyer who decided to be a stay at home mom. As the
film develops it is more about the interaction between the parents and the
people in their lives than about the child.
Captures the ambience of New York City in a beautiful and subtle way.
Recommended.

MJW

Post by MJW » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:38 pm

Freefun wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:08 pm
Equalizer 2. Didn't like it (I liked the first one).
It just so happens that I watched the first one last night. I enjoyed it, overall. As someone who worked in retail while attending college, I can appreciate the creativity of the main character's killing methods in the setting of the final showdown. :P

travellight

Post by travellight » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:32 pm

jlawrence01 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:32 pm
This weekend's movies (so far):

Adrift - While the visuals were great, there was very little to justify a movie of those length.

Christopher Robins - All in all a very good movie. I thought there were more lessons directed to adults than to the children in the audience although would enjoy.

Eighth Grade - A good movie that captures the awkwardness and difficulties of middle school. The REAL SHAME about this movie is that it is rated "R" which means that the pre-teens and early teens who would benefit from watching this movie will likely not see it.

Three Identical Strangers - A documentary regarding the reunification of identical triplets in the 1980s. The first portion of the film was quite enjoyable. However, the balance of the movie dealt with the adoption agency that allowed the brothers to be separated so that they could be subjects of a psychological study.
8th grade was my favorite of these; it was lovely, genuine, and touching. ...and I thought I was far beyond the coming of age movies. This one really tickled my fancies.

rockylou

Post by rockylou » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:06 pm

I just watched I Can Only Imagine on Redbox on demand and really enjoyed it

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:01 am

Blindspotting is an outstanding movie. It's interesting as a character study of personal growth and as a look at the clash of cultures in a gentrifying area.

I really enjoyed 8th Grade. A very heartfelt coming of age film that nails the experience of that awkward age pretty well.

I despised Puzzle. I disliked almost all the characters, including the protagonist, and by the end did not care about her at all. The puzzle plotline is more or less irrelevant. I have no idea why this movie is getting good reviews.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:02 pm

Won't You be my Neighbor and the documentary on Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Both were inspiring for my spouse and me.

Tim

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:26 pm

Mission Impossible- Fallout. The last Mission Impossible was the best in the series, and this one can't top it. Still, it's very entertaining.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018 ... redecessor

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:33 pm

"When Banana Ruled".
A history of "United Fruit Co.'s" World domination and the USAs influence. Creating the banana's demand w/world compliance, akin to Apple & iphones devices inception & marketing (imho). Tax avoidance was paramount w/both operations. Great movie.

ETA:
"Hillary's America" With no political innuendos intended I've also watched this by Dineshi De Souza, an American citizen, native of India. A well put together movie .

ETA-again:
"The Bleeding Edge" recommended below by poster jlawrence is already receiving BAYER's denials & criticism. I'd suggest it also, its on Netflix.

First two are on Amazon prime..
Last edited by aspirit on Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations.

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:12 am

Three Identical Strangers, which I recommend very highly. I have a few minor quibbles with it, but I found it to be riveting and very well done, overall. The less you know about it going in, the better.

telemark

Post by telemark » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:45 am

For anyone interested, Grave of the Fireflies will be showing in U.S. theaters one time each on Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday. Monday is with subtitles, the others are the English dubbed version. I've never seen this one, but if it's like other Studio Ghibli films it should look much better on a big screen.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:28 pm

Working on Blacklist - Season 2 on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Dantes

Post by Dantes » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Ordeal By Innocence on Amazon Prime. A three-part adaption of the book by Agatha Christie. Excellent, I would watch it again. It is much darker than a Poirot or Miss Marple.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:06 am

This week's movies:

Skyscraper - There was not much else showing and it was mildly entertaining. Not great cinema.

Jungle Book (2016) - Quite an enjoyable movie; a really good family movie.

The Bleeding Edge - A documentary on the medical device industry. It could have been a good film if the film makers had 1) remained focused on one particular product instead of four and 2) provided some objective statistics of the number of victims. Watching this movie reminded me of the blood and gore videos that our driver instructors showed to us to scare us into driving safely.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:40 pm

Christopher Robin, with Ewan MacGregor.

Christopher Robin grows up, has a family and a job, and must deal with what is most important.This is a nice family movie, take your grandchildren.

Pooh: "People say that nothing is impossible,
But I do nothing every day."
Last edited by ruralavalon on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:25 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

market timer

Post by market timer » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:00 pm

The Vietnam War 18-hour PBS documentary by Ken Burns. Apparently I slept through most of US history class, because much of this material is new to me. Always interesting to learn more about a topic that is so familiar.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:48 pm

Hereditary. It's slow-moving and very weird, but worth seeing.

Here's a review...

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018 ... -of-horror

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:12 pm

jginseattle wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:26 pm
Mission Impossible- Fallout. The last Mission Impossible was the best in the series, and this one can't top it. Still, it's very entertaining.

Saw this with my family this weekend. It was so over the top, we couldn't stop laughing. But it was fun and a good choice if you are going to squander money seeing a movie in a theater.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:20 pm

Pigeon wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:12 pm
jginseattle wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:26 pm

Saw this with my family this weekend. It was so over the top, we couldn't stop laughing. But it was fun and a good choice if you are going to squander money seeing a movie in a theater.
My wife saw it with a friend, said it was Fast & Furious ridiculous. Some major over-acting and you couldn't help but laughing at the action scenes, but it was entertaining.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:31 pm

Just watched "The Rider." Great movie.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:03 pm

telemark wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:45 am
For anyone interested, Grave of the Fireflies will be showing in U.S. theaters one time each on Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday. Monday is with subtitles, the others are the English dubbed version. I've never seen this one, but if it's like other Studio Ghibli films it should look much better on a big screen.
It is a great story.
All the Best, | Joe