What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ebrasmus21
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:06 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ebrasmus21 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:17 pm

Darkest Hour - great movie. Couldn't imagine the stress and fear and uncertainty of what Britain was up against at that point in the war.

Molly's Game - pretty amazing story. Really enjoyed the story and the acting was great. Jessica isn't exactly tough on the eyes either.

Green Street
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:00 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Green Street » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:50 pm

Coco- Definitely well done, with a lot of attention to detail.

The Shape of Water- a huge disappointment for me, socially charged, and felt random at times for me. Michael Shannon killed it as usual though.

Bright- terrible reviews but I thought it was entertaining
Searching Through The FiRE

jginseattle
Posts: 721
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by jginseattle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:18 pm

Max Ophul's The Earrings of Madame de... (1953)

A masterpiece.

Here's an excellent review...

https://letterboxd.com/notpaulinekael/f ... madame-de/

madbrain
Posts: 5027
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by madbrain » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:39 pm

"The truth about Emanuel " (on blu-ray)

The acting is very good, but I had a real hard time suspending disbelief about the story.

"Changeling" (on blu-ray)

Amazing movie, and also fairly unbelievable story, which happens to be true. I recommend it. Angelina Jolie is great.

Alien (1979) on Blu-ray UHD 4K
Aliens (1986) on Blu-ray UHD 4K

I had never seen these movies. Watched them with one of my kittens, whom I named "Alien" after watching Alien: covenant in a movie theater last year.
(she is actually very nice once you manage to pick her up, and can stay in my lap for the whole movie)
Really loved these movies. I am a big SF fan. The special effects and audio were not up to today's standards, obviously, but the acting was great and the story was suspenseful. I'm looking forward to looking the rest of the Alien series.

User avatar
htdrag11
Posts: 1079
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by htdrag11 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:52 pm

Last Flag Flying, a dramedy by Carell, Cranston and Fishburne from Amazon.

I enjoyed Steve Carrell as an actor and have not been disappointed. Politically it might not be everyone's cup of tea. As aside, the human drama and tragedy were handled rather delicately about the death of a son in the Iraq War, uniting 3 old Vietnam war buddies and their past tribulation.

It's kind of long but please watch the ending. The young guy who played the son's war buddy also did a splendid job. Cicely Tyson appeared for about 5 minutes but had an impact on the movie. It was a bittersweet moment to see how Cranston character finally showed his human side and transformed onward.

7 out of 10.

Helo80
Posts: 727
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Helo80 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:03 pm

The Darkest Hour --- An excellent film... I saw many parallels with today's time.

cherijoh
Posts: 4932
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:49 pm
Location: Charlotte NC

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by cherijoh » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:45 pm

I saw the Post last weekend. Very well acted & well done IMO - especially for something where you already know the outcome!

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3408
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by munemaker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:23 pm

Green Street wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:50 pm

The Shape of Water- a huge disappointment for me, socially charged, and felt random at times for me. Michael Shannon killed it as usual though.
I enjoyed The Shape of Water. It was a little out there though and I can understand why some may not like it. Not sure what you mean by "socially charged."

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3408
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by munemaker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:28 pm

I saw part of "Call Me by Your Name" tonight. I had to walk out after about an hour. It seemed to be really well done, but I just could not get past a sexual relationship between an adult man and a 17 year old boy, which seemed to be the central story. It received really good reviews and I seem to be in the minority on that, so I guess it is just me.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3408
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by munemaker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:29 pm

ebrasmus21 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:17 pm

Molly's Game - pretty amazing story. Really enjoyed the story and the acting was great. Jessica isn't exactly tough on the eyes either.
Really good. I agree completely.

User avatar
Artful Dodger
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Artful Dodger » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:14 pm

ebrasmus21 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:17 pm
Darkest Hour - great movie. Couldn't imagine the stress and fear and uncertainty of what Britain was up against at that point in the war.

Molly's Game - pretty amazing story. Really enjoyed the story and the acting was great. Jessica isn't exactly tough on the eyes either.
Saw this past Wednesday. Enjoyed very much. It's easy to forget after winning the war how much opposition there was to fighting on. Britain had suffered greatly in WW1 and lost many, and not all were keen to repeat.

itstoomuch
Posts: 5343
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: midValley OR

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by itstoomuch » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:26 pm

The Shape of Water. Who doesn't like fish and a virgin? :beer :beer :beer :shock:
The Darkest Hour. great acting by Gary Oldman. Churchill lights his cigar and provides the guiding light and first tobacco embers to rekindle hope in that darkest hour :beer :beer :beer :mrgreen:
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

emanuel_v19
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:15 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by emanuel_v19 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:36 pm

Empire of the Sun

jginseattle
Posts: 721
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by jginseattle » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:51 pm

Phantom Thread.

Strongly recommended.

User avatar
Feb29
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:52 pm
Location: Chicago Area

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Feb29 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:34 pm

During the holidays I saw "Christmas in Connecticut" again. It's sweet and funny. And Barbara Stanwyck is a hoot!

itstoomuch
Posts: 5343
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: midValley OR

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by itstoomuch » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:22 am

The Post, {Washingon Post newspaper then owned by Graham, now controlled by Bezos} time of the Pentagon Papers when Katheryn Graham came into her own.
Undertones of Presidency, News and freedom to gather and disseminate information, Woman's roles, War, friendships, ethics and morals, stocks, and cigarettes (I got a headache from watching all that vile smoke). Hanks and Streep did their typical formula acting. :beer :beer :beer
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

travellight
Posts: 2780
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:52 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by travellight » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:02 am

spencer99 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:16 am
Watched "A Bigger Splash" this weekend. Promising cast (Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton) but ultimately a waste of time. Plot, character motivations, personal interactions were all a mess. I wasn't surprised when plot took an incoherent twist near end of film - director didn't know what to do with this disaster.
agree completely

travellight
Posts: 2780
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:52 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by travellight » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:09 am

loved Molly's Game, The shape of water, and I, Tonya.

Looking forward to Phantom thread.

Saw Lizzie today at Sundance about Lizzie Borden who murdered her parents, starring Chloe Sevigny. It was good.

madbrain
Posts: 5027
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by madbrain » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:10 am

The Vault, on Netflix streaming in HD. The story was a waste of time. The audio was particularly weak due to streaming format. Skip.

I'm surprised how useless the movie catalog is on Netflix. We really struggled to find any movie worth watching during the 1-month trial, unlike the Netflix disc format service.

nova1968
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 12:00 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by nova1968 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:15 am

All the Money in the World, its about the kidnapping of J Paul Gettys grandson, Kevin Spacey was replaced by Christopher Plummer as J Paul Getty who plays the eccentric billionaire and puts on a classic act.

User avatar
Artful Dodger
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Artful Dodger » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:55 pm

Saw The Post last night. Great movie. Of my last three in the theater, I would rank The Post as #1, followed close by Darkest Hour as #2, then the new Star Wars pic (yawn).

I'm liking this new theater experience. Our local chain, Wehrenberg, was taken over by Marcus Theaters. They are redoing all of them with recliners, and you go online to book your seat. We get a senior discount, so most shows are below $20 for both of us. They discount shows to $5 on Tuesdays, so may check that out.

User avatar
Fletch
Posts: 674
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:25 pm
Location: USA

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Fletch » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:06 pm

Darkest Hour - supurb acting and cinematography. One of the better movies I've seen. Hard to imagine the enormous weight on Churchill's shoulders. No wonder for his prodigious drinking and smoking. :shock: :mrgreen:
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

User avatar
Artful Dodger
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Artful Dodger » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:47 pm

Fletch wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:06 pm
Darkest Hour - supurb acting and cinematography. One of the better movies I've seen. Hard to imagine the enormous weight on Churchill's shoulders. No wonder for his prodigious drinking and smoking. :shock: :mrgreen:
One thing I remember from reading a biography was while he was a regular drinker, he kept things in check, and was rarely ever drunk. I recall in the movie seeing the whiskey they poured in the morning. It looked to be straight. But, he usually drank whiskey with water (very weak) during the day, and nursed his drinks.

ebrasmus21
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:06 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ebrasmus21 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:48 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:14 pm
ebrasmus21 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:17 pm
Darkest Hour - great movie. Couldn't imagine the stress and fear and uncertainty of what Britain was up against at that point in the war.

Molly's Game - pretty amazing story. Really enjoyed the story and the acting was great. Jessica isn't exactly tough on the eyes either.
Saw this past Wednesday. Enjoyed very much. It's easy to forget after winning the war how much opposition there was to fighting on. Britain had suffered greatly in WW1 and lost many, and not all were keen to repeat.
Indeed. What it must have been like working in that map room day in and day out.

User avatar
Artful Dodger
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Artful Dodger » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:57 pm

ebrasmus21 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:48 pm
Artful Dodger wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:14 pm
ebrasmus21 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:17 pm
Darkest Hour - great movie. Couldn't imagine the stress and fear and uncertainty of what Britain was up against at that point in the war.

Molly's Game - pretty amazing story. Really enjoyed the story and the acting was great. Jessica isn't exactly tough on the eyes either.
Saw this past Wednesday. Enjoyed very much. It's easy to forget after winning the war how much opposition there was to fighting on. Britain had suffered greatly in WW1 and lost many, and not all were keen to repeat.
Indeed. What it must have been like working in that map room day in and day out.
One thing I most enjoyed in the movie was the time they spent in the war rooms. I was just there last September, and could better appreciate what it was like.

User avatar
dccboone
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:02 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by dccboone » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:14 pm

The Greatest Showman - The film is inspired by the story of P. T. Barnum's creation of the Barnum & Bailey Circus and the lives of its star attractions. One of the best films I have seen in the last 5 years. Starring Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron, Michelle Williams, Rebecca Ferguson, and Zendaya.

ebrasmus21
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:06 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ebrasmus21 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:29 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:57 pm
ebrasmus21 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:48 pm
Artful Dodger wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:14 pm
ebrasmus21 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:17 pm
Darkest Hour - great movie. Couldn't imagine the stress and fear and uncertainty of what Britain was up against at that point in the war.

Molly's Game - pretty amazing story. Really enjoyed the story and the acting was great. Jessica isn't exactly tough on the eyes either.
Saw this past Wednesday. Enjoyed very much. It's easy to forget after winning the war how much opposition there was to fighting on. Britain had suffered greatly in WW1 and lost many, and not all were keen to repeat.
Indeed. What it must have been like working in that map room day in and day out.
One thing I most enjoyed in the movie was the time they spent in the war rooms. I was just there last September, and could better appreciate what it was like.
You got to actually see it? Wow, I'd love to see that place.

FraggleRock
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:50 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by FraggleRock » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:07 pm

Paddington 2.
Made me happy.

User avatar
robolove
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 2:23 pm
Location: Tokyo

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by robolove » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:19 pm

FraggleRock wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:07 pm
Paddington 2.
Made me happy.
My wife cried. *good grief*

Rattlesnake
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Rattlesnake » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:33 pm

Bright on Netflix.... We liked it....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69

Rupert
Posts: 3562
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Rupert » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:04 pm

munemaker wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:23 pm
Green Street wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:50 pm

The Shape of Water- a huge disappointment for me, socially charged, and felt random at times for me. Michael Shannon killed it as usual though.
I enjoyed The Shape of Water. It was a little out there though and I can understand why some may not like it. Not sure what you mean by "socially charged."
I suspect that prior poster was referring to the fact that straight white men don't come across very well in the movie. The only one who wasn't an outright villain was a Russian spy. [Edited to note that even the one straight black man didn't come across very well]. In any event, I found it to be an odd movie for other reasons (and I typically like del Toro movies -- loved Pan's Labyrinth, for example), and I left the theater not quite sure how I felt about it. It was, however, a visual feast and worth seeing for that reason alone. Definitely one you'd want to see in a theater, as opposed to on a television. Also, Michael Shannon's performance was awesome. He's in a lot of movies but still probably qualifies as "the best actor you've never heard of" because he doesn't appear in a lot of blockbusters.

A movie I've seen recently that I loved was Captain Fantastic, which is currently streaming on Amazon.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3408
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by munemaker » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:39 pm

Lady Bird - About a girl in her high school years coming of age. Not the kind of movie I would normally attend, but with MoviePass, I am trying some different things.

I really enjoyed the movie.

Having attended Catholic schools as a kid, I could really identify with a lot of it. I liked the part where Lady Bird makes a comment to her friend during an assembly on abortion where a woman is addressing all the girls in the school. The teacher asks what she said, and Lady Bird said she would prefer not to say, but the teacher insisted..saying "Please share. We would all like to hear" or something to that effect. So Lady Bird responds and gets suspended. Just sounds like something they would have said/done at the Catholic school I attended.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3408
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by munemaker » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:44 pm

Rupert wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:04 pm
munemaker wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:23 pm
Green Street wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:50 pm

The Shape of Water- a huge disappointment for me, socially charged, and felt random at times for me. Michael Shannon killed it as usual though.
I enjoyed The Shape of Water. It was a little out there though and I can understand why some may not like it. Not sure what you mean by "socially charged."
I suspect that prior poster was referring to the fact that straight white men don't come across very well in the movie. The only one who wasn't an outright villain was a Russian spy. [Edited to note that even the one straight black man didn't come across very well].
I guess I am inept as that totally went by me. Thinking back on it, I do agree though.

MandyT
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:29 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by MandyT » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:29 pm

Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri: I never knew what was going to happen next, in a good way. I think spoilers would hurt this movie more than most, so all I'll say that there are some uncomfortably violent scenes--as long as that's not a deal-breaker, I highly recommend the movie.

The Post: I'm not sure what someone under the age of 45 or 50 would make of it, but I thought it was excellent.

User avatar
bobcat2
Posts: 5222
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: just barely Outside the Beltway

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by bobcat2 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:19 pm

Six part Netflix documentary series "Dirty Money". Series is fascinating exploration of recent scams & scammers. Episodes cover payday loan practices, bank money laundering of drug cartel money, Volkswagen cheating on diesel emission tests, pharmaceutical company shenanigans, sticky business in the Canadian maple syrup industry, and the dealings of a multimillion dollar con-man.

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 47475
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:32 pm

Netflix can be discussed here: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
bengal22
Posts: 1414
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by bengal22 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:56 pm

The Post was pretty good but a little biased for my taste. Interesting to see how newspapers were mechanically put together back then.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

DrGoogle2017
Posts: 1322
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:15 am

I watched Atomic Blonde, Charlize Theron is the main actress. I think I enjoyed it, especially when I get to watch it free in business/first class on Hawaiian Airlines.

User avatar
Lauretta
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:27 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Lauretta » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:41 am

The square. I liked the strangeness of the situations and the sense of humour sometimes verging on the grotesque. BTW there is a scene with a chimpanzee that made me reflect on the psychology of crowds, that is sometimes discussed in investing too...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Square_(2017_film)
When everyone is thinking the same, no one is thinking at all

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3408
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by munemaker » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:16 am

itstoomuch wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:22 am
The Post, {Washingon Post newspaper then owned by Graham, now controlled by Bezos} time of the Pentagon Papers when Katheryn Graham came into her own.
Undertones of Presidency, News and freedom to gather and disseminate information, Woman's roles, War, friendships, ethics and morals, stocks, and cigarettes (I got a headache from watching all that vile smoke). Hanks and Streep did their typical formula acting. :beer :beer :beer
Wife & I saw "The Post" last night and really enjoyed it. Theater was packed and we ended up sitting in the fourth row...new perspective of viewing a movie which was actually okay.

User avatar
Wildebeest
Posts: 1141
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:36 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Wildebeest » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:59 am

munemaker wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:39 pm
Lady Bird - About a girl in her high school years coming of age. Not the kind of movie I would normally attend, but with MoviePass, I am trying some different things.

I really enjoyed the movie.

Having attended Catholic schools as a kid, I could really identify with a lot of it. I liked the part where Lady Bird makes a comment to her friend during an assembly on abortion where a woman is addressing all the girls in the school. The teacher asks what she said, and Lady Bird said she would prefer not to say, but the teacher insisted..saying "Please share. We would all like to hear" or something to that effect. So Lady Bird responds and gets suspended. Just sounds like something they would have said/done at the Catholic school I attended.
I had no expectations going in and I enjoyed the movie very much.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

User avatar
Wildebeest
Posts: 1141
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:36 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Wildebeest » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:02 am

MandyT wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:29 pm
Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri: I never knew what was going to happen next, in a good way. I think spoilers would hurt this movie more than most, so all I'll say that there are some uncomfortably violent scenes--as long as that's not a deal-breaker, I highly recommend the movie.
Completely agree. Great movie.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 12738
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by abuss368 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:19 pm

We are watching the "Unabomber" on Netflix. Very good thus far.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Greaterunderstanding
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:32 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Greaterunderstanding » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:37 pm

I watched Two Days, One Night by the Dardenne Brothers last night. I’d definitely recommend.

sid hartha
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:17 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by sid hartha » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:21 am

Listen to Me Marlon (2015)

Excellent documentary about the iconic actor Marlon Brando. It's compiled entirely from private audio tapes the actor recorded at home, in business meetings, during hypnosis, in therapy, and during press interviews. I really enjoyed this very well done documentary. But don't take my word for it. Here are the list of awards and nominations.


Winner – Best Documentary at The 2015 San Francisco Film Critics Circle Awards
Winner – IDA Creative Recognition Award for Best Writing
Winner – 2015 Peabody Award
Winner – Best Film Founders Prize at the Traverse City Film Festival 2015
Nominated – Best Documentary BAFTA
Nominated – Best Documentary by The Phoenix Critics’ Circle
Nominated – Best Feature IDA Award
Nominated – Best Documentary at the 25th Gotham Independent Film Awards
Nominated – World Cinema Documentary at the Sundance Film Festival 2015
Nominated – Documentary Feature at the Montclair Film Festival 2015
Nominated – Best Documentary at the 2015 Detroit Film Critics Society Awards
Included in The National Board of Review’s Top 5 Documentaries of 2015
Shortlisted as one of the 15 Documentary films being considered for an Academy Award

TCB
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:39 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by TCB » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:17 am

Ninnie wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:27 am
MrNewEngland wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:51 am
MJW wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:32 am
Finally saw "The Big Short" last night.
I didn’t expect this movie to be as good as it was. It was an impressive movie.
+1
8-) Very good film

Bfwolf
Posts: 1785
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:19 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Bfwolf » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:15 pm

The Post - This is a movie people seem to love and I merely liked. Streep is great. The actual story isn't nearly as compelling as the Watergate story covered in All the President's Men. The movie has strong feminist undertones--in some parts they are well done, at other times I thought they were heavy handed.

3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - Another movie I liked that others seem to love. The characters are really interesting, but some of the scenes/behaviors are not at all believable which detracted from the story for me.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - Yes, I actually went and saw the Jumanji sequel/reboot. And you know what, I really enjoyed it. More than the 2 listed above! It's updated for the modern times, it's well written, and there's some great "fish out of water" type moments. The story line is predictable, but it's fun anyway. I would recommend seeing this in the theater--it's definitely one that will play best on the big screen.

madbrain
Posts: 5027
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by madbrain » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:53 pm

munemaker wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:28 pm
I saw part of "Call Me by Your Name" tonight. I had to walk out after about an hour. It seemed to be really well done, but I just could not get past a sexual relationship between an adult man and a 17 year old boy, which seemed to be the central story. It received really good reviews and I seem to be in the minority on that, so I guess it is just me.
I saw the movie last week end. I thought it was beautiful. Were you not aware there was a gay relationship in the movie before you went to see it ? Or was it the age difference that bothered you ?
The character of Oliver is supposed to be a 24-year old student, but the actor , Arnie Hammer, is 31. He definitely looks a bit older. But then again, the character Elio is supposed to be 17, and is played by a 22-year old actor, Timothy Chalamet.
The characters are supposed to be 7 years apart, and the actors are 9 years apart.
In any case, the age of consent in Italy and many other countries and states is less than 18, so nothing that was depicted in the story was illegal. One might argue whether it was improper, but his dad certainly didn't think so in the beautiful speech at the end of the movie - which you missed.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3408
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by munemaker » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:50 pm

madbrain wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:53 pm
munemaker wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:28 pm
I saw part of "Call Me by Your Name" tonight. I had to walk out after about an hour. It seemed to be really well done, but I just could not get past a sexual relationship between an adult man and a 17 year old boy, which seemed to be the central story. It received really good reviews and I seem to be in the minority on that, so I guess it is just me.
I saw the movie last week end. I thought it was beautiful. Were you not aware there was a gay relationship in the movie before you went to see it ? Or was it the age difference that bothered you ?
The character of Oliver is supposed to be a 24-year old student, but the actor , Arnie Hammer, is 31. He definitely looks a bit older. But then again, the character Elio is supposed to be 17, and is played by a 22-year old actor, Timothy Chalamet.
The characters are supposed to be 7 years apart, and the actors are 9 years apart.
In any case, the age of consent in Italy and many other countries and states is less than 18, so nothing that was depicted in the story was illegal. One might argue whether it was improper, but his dad certainly didn't think so in the beautiful speech at the end of the movie - which you missed.
The setting and scenery in the movie was beautiful. No, I was not aware of what the movie was about. With MoviePass, I have not been checking out the details before attending, which I am doing going forward. I just saw it had good ratings and did not read any further. It really doesn't matter to me how old the actors were or what the laws are in Italy. I don't really want to get into discussing details of my issues with the movie here. This isn't the place. Anyway, it seems like I am clearly in the minority since most people seem to love it.

madbrain
Posts: 5027
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by madbrain » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:59 am

munemaker wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:50 pm
The setting and scenery in the movie was beautiful. No, I was not aware of what the movie was about. With MoviePass, I have not been checking out the details before attending, which I am doing going forward. I just saw it had good ratings and did not read any further. It really doesn't matter to me how old the actors were or what the laws are in Italy. I don't really want to get into discussing details of my issues with the movie here. This isn't the place. Anyway, it seems like I am clearly in the minority since most people seem to love it.
Maybe you can shoot me a PM then - I would be interested in your perspective.

I just saw "The killing of a sacred deer" on Blu-ray. Acting from Colin Farrell and Nicole Kidman is superb. This is not for the faint of the heart, literally, from the opening scene. The story is quite weird, but that's a given for the director, Lanthimos, who also made "The Lobster". If you love strange movies that make you think, that is one not to miss. And many of the lines are just priceless.

My only regret is that the audio track on the disc seemed to be improperly mastered. I was hearing some LP-like scratchiness in the music tracks from my center speaker and wondering if it had gone bad. It even happened on the disc's menu ! I tried playing it on my computer with a different set of speakers and it was the same. Maybe the director actually digitized LP recordings. I can't find more info on the music even on IMDB. But I did find many of the priceless lines there.

Post Reply