What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Koogie

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Koogie » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:36 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:04 pm
Sicario, free on Amazon prime. An FBI agent gets involved in a complicated drug trafficking plot. This movie got a lot of good reviews, but I think most of the suspense was due to the many unexpected "twists". It's not bad, but I wasn't impressed.
+1 Not sure why it is so well thought of. I thought the plot was terribly unrealistic. In terms of films by Denis Villeneuve, I much preferred either Arrival or Prisoners.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:04 pm

I watched Collosal last night. It was a cute idea for a movie but just felt kind of "meh" to me.

Also watched The Descent recently. Enjoyable but some of the parts I had a hard time suspending my disbelief, like a group of people who are that into spelunking would be so careless. Some of the plot points feel very contrived.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

This evening, I watched To the Bone on Netflix. It starred Lily Collins, Keanu Reeves, Carrie Preston, Lili Taylor, Alex Sharp, Liana Liberato, Brooke Smith, Leslie Bibb, and Kathryn Prescott. It was written and directed by Marti Noxon.

Ellen is an unruly 20-year-old anorexic girl who spent the better part of her teenage years being shepherded through various recovery programs, only to find herself several pounds lighter every time. Determined to find a solution, her dysfunctional family agrees to send her to a group home for youths, which is led by a non-traditional doctor. Surprised by the unusual rules, Ellen must discover for herself how to confront her addiction and attempt self-acceptance. (Description taken from a Google search.)

This was very good. Terrific story and great acting by everyone. Lily Collin as the anorexic was especially good. Keanu Reeves played the doctor in an understated (for him) manner.
Gordon

Dantes

Post by Dantes » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:06 pm

Logan Lucky. Very enjoyable, and a real ensemble performance. I found Daniel Craig really funny.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:13 pm

Logan's Lucky. A clever heist movie. Oddly humorous. I really liked it.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:17 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:17 pm
Hidden Figures

I just saw this powerful, evocative, and uplifting newly released movie today. It connected with me deeply on so many levels: the power of math, the importance of fighting racism and sexism, and my early childhood memories of starting school immediately after Sputnik. Anyone else my age (early 60s) will remember how we all held our collective breaths when the astronauts came splashing down. But we did not know at the time that an African African American woman (a human "computer" employed by NASA) made the key calculations needed to assure the success of the program, after overcoming all kinds of obstacles in her path. We also did not know about her pioneering colleagues in the "colored computer" room (literally a room full of African American women with mechanical adding machines) who broke through barriers to become leaders in engineering and computer science. If you are passionate about math, racial and gender justice, or any combination thereof, you need to SEE THIS MOVIE. It just opened nationwide on Thursday and I don't know how long it will be running in the theaters, but please see it!
Finally watched Hidden Figures and can’t add much to the post above except to wonder how many more figures out there remain hidden and always will. Even those at genius level and indispensable to the work still need the courage and perseverance of the three women in this film to achieve at least some measure of justice.

Wonderful performances by Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, and Janelle Monáe and especially by Henson playing Katherine Johnson.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:58 am

Unbranded on Netflix is a great documentary about four friends riding wild horses from Mexico to Canada. If you like the west, horses, and great scenery, I definitely recommend.

AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:45 am

Last theatre movie was Dunkirk. Enjoyed it but between the sound (it shook the seats) and the accents I was wishing it had subtitles.

Last TV movie was the original Manchurian Candidate on TCM.

tampaite

Post by tampaite » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:58 am

The 100 Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:19 pm

magazinewriter wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:02 pm
Ninnie wrote:Their Finest. A different kind of story about Dunkirk. I really enjoyed it. If you enjoyed the series Foyle's War, you would like this.
+1

I really enjoyed this, too.
As did I. I was 7 years old when the Dunkirk retreat happened. I remember it vividly from radio and movie newsreels at the time. Yes, at that young age, it made an impression....the rescue and war in Europe and my mother and father worrying that we could enter the war too.

What was missing, IMO, was there was no real history lesson here. How did they get to this position in the first place. I knew it, but I was not sure that the later generations really understood.
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:31 pm

I watched The Zookeeper's Wife last night and enjoyed it. Another WWII movie of the Holocaust variety. This one has good education for they younger generations. It had good acting and the story was as it was. Let's not repeat that period again.
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

SGM

Post by SGM » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:13 pm

Maudie and The Big Sick are both excellent.

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:25 pm

"Baby Driver"

A twenty-something millenial who possesses an acrobatic way with cars is the linchpin to a gang of thieves headed by Kevin Spacey at his unctuous, overbearing best. One edge-of-your-seat moment follows another, right through to the climax (with music pulsating throughout). Not deep but hugely entertaining. And Jon Hamm and Jamie Foxx make terrific thugs.

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:23 pm

Selections from Amazon Prime:

The Exception: Serviceable WWII suspense/drama that you may enjoy if you like those types of things. I liked it well enough, but I like those types of things.

Kill Me Again: The first in a series of three increasingly good late 80s/early 90s neo-noirs by writer and director John Dahl. Good if you like neo noir. Otherwise unremarkable.

A Simple Plan: Haven't watched it in nearly 20 years and I have to say, this is a fine, fine movie. Billy Bob Thornton and Bill Paxton were terrific. It reminded me a bit of Blood Simple: the tension just keeps ratcheting up with every scene as thing after thing goes (plausibly, credibly) wrong for these hapless characters until the conclusion seems inevitable.

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:25 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:04 pm
Sicario, free on Amazon prime. An FBI agent gets involved in a complicated drug trafficking plot. This movie got a lot of good reviews, but I think most of the suspense was due to the many unexpected "twists". It's not bad, but I wasn't impressed.
There were elements to this I really liked. I thought the score was terrific. Some of the cinematography was interesting, especially some of the night scenes. There was a real sense of building dread for a while. Josh Brolin was awesome.

And then...it just kind of built up to a point where it couldn't be resolved in any way that made sense and by the end I was so annoyed with the movie it was like everything that I liked about it had been washed away.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:33 pm

Norman

Richard Gere plays the part of Norman Oppenheimer, a sometimes likable, but
often annoying hustler who incessantly tries to make connections and deals yet
continually overestimates his influence. He has a passion to give people what
they need but often cannot deliver. Always with cell phone and ear buds he roams
New York City trying to make contacts. He eventually experiences extreme highs
and lows after he does a favor for a man who later becomes Prime Minster of Israel.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Season 2 of Bosch on Amazon Prime.

Really good stuff. I am also re-reading "The Black Echo" Connelly's first Bosch novel.

Ed

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:34 pm

There is an excellent series of 25 BBC movies available on Netflix, based on Agatha Christie novels featuring Hercule Poirot. We have watched these, and enjoyed them all.

The Murder of Roger Acroyd.
Lord Edgeware Dies.
Evil Under the Sun. Murder at an island hotel.
Murder in Mesopotamia. The mystery is set at archeological site in Iraq.
Five Little Pigs.
Sad Cypress.
The Hallow.
Death on the Nile. Classic.
The Mystery of The Blue Train. I love mysteries set on trains.
Cards on the Table.
After the Funeral.
Taken at the Flood
Mrs. McGinty's Dead.
Cat Among the Pigeons.
Third Girl.
Appointment with Death, The mystery is set at an archeological site in Syria.
Three Act Tragedy.
Halloween Party.
Murder on the Orient Express. I love mysteries set on trains.
The Clocks. My wife loves mysteries with romance involved.
Elephants Can Remember. My wife loves mysteries with romance involved.
The Big Four.
Dead Man's Folly.
The Labors of Hercules.
Poirot's Last Case.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:28 pm

The Belko Experiment

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:19 pm

An Inconvenient Sequel
The Big Sick

Both were good
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:40 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:34 pm
There is an excellent series of 25 BBC movies available on Netflix, based on Agatha Christie novels featuring Hercule Poirot. We have watched these, and enjoyed them all.

Evil Under the Sun. Murder at an island hotel.
Take a look atThe Burgh Island Hotel! It hasn't changed much.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:43 pm

In no particular order, these are movies or TV shows/episodes that I can rewatch a dozen times or more and still be entertained.

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1659337/
* I wasn't expecting anything from this movie. It was sweet, innocent, and engaging. The twists are fantastic and while the movie is dated it is also timeless.

Veronica Mars (Season 1) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0412253/
* Season one of this show is incredible. The writing is sophisticated, witty, engaging, and thoroughly enjoyable. An added bonus is that the whole season revolves around a series of mysteries, all of which are wrapped up by the season finale. There are a couple more seasons in the show, but you can watch season one and be extremely satisfied.

Ip Man - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1220719/
* Possibly the greatest martial arts film ever. More impressive in that it's based on the story of the real martial artist Ip Man, master of Bruce Lee.

Doctor Who Episode: Blink - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1000252/
* While some episodes of Doctor Who are hit and miss, this one stands above all others. You don't need to know much about the titular character of the show, as it's mostly shown from the point of view of a bystander.

Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1227926/
* A beautiful short musical that makes you root for the villain. With several twists don't expect a happy ending. This was written by Joss Whedon, after all. The soundtrack is catchy as well.

The Prestige - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482571/
* A fantastic movie about magic and misdirection. Watch it at least three times, as you'll realize that all the clues as to the truth are shown in plain site. This movie also has as a supporting role David Bowie playing Nikola Tesla.

Lost In Translation - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335266/
* A sweet movie about developing an unexpected friendship when you're disconnected from your entire support group. Refreshing in that it's about a man and woman developing a friendship and not romance.

A Walk To Remember - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281358/
* A real tear jerker about the strong connection between two teens and how it changes both of their lives forever.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:29 pm

Logan Lucky. I was bored with this from start to finish.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:35 pm

mmcmonster wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:43 pm
Doctor Who Episode: Blink - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1000252/
* While some episodes of Doctor Who are hit and miss, this one stands above all others. You don't need to know much about the titular character of the show, as it's mostly shown from the point of view of a bystander.
That episode is a true masterpiece. Statues, especially of angels, will never look he same.

The problem is, the rest of the episodes pale in comparison to the point I got discouraged and stopped watching the show! After "Blink" all the rest seemed juvenile. Everything gets resolved with a deus ex machina. Actually several of them throughout each episode.

Blink's author, Steven Moffat, went on to write more episodes, all of which were well above average. If you have a choice, seek out Moffat's episodes.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Sheepdog wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:19 pm
magazinewriter wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:02 pm
Ninnie wrote:Their Finest. A different kind of story about Dunkirk. I really enjoyed it. If you enjoyed the series Foyle's War, you would like this.
+1

I really enjoyed this, too.
As did I. I was 7 years old when the Dunkirk retreat happened. I remember it vividly from radio and movie newsreels at the time. Yes, at that young age, it made an impression....the rescue and war in Europe and my mother and father worrying that we could enter the war too.

What was missing, IMO, was there was no real history lesson here. How did they get to this position in the first place. I knew it, but I was not sure that the later generations really understood.
I watched Dunkirk last week and I enjoyed the movie. Studying WW2 history is one of my passions, so I was already very familiar with the Dunkirk evacuation when I saw the movie.

I think the movie did an excellent job of showing the fear and despair the Allied soldiers must have felt during this significant event. I agree the movie didn't give a history lesson, but I would hope movies like this would encourage people to read up on it after watching the movie.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:12 pm

The Big Sick....hard not to like it. :thumbsup :thumbsup
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

kg7

Post by kg7 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:35 pm

Watched The Mummy with Tom Cruise...

Not great, but only kept watching because the actress who plays the mummy, Sofia Boutella, is one pretty woman.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:43 pm

I have not been to a movie for years. But we had some time this weekend and we checked out from Redbox the movie LA LA Land, it was quite enjoyable and so was Allied, Brad Pitt was in the movie but sadly he has aged.
From our local library, Lost in Translation, too slow for my husband and I , sleep inducer. The other one we liked was the Wedding Crashers. And finally the movie Life is beautiful, we watched it halfway until we got to the point it was depressing to watch further. But we watched this movie before. It was enjoyable up to that point.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:05 am

itstoomuch wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:51 am
Seige of Jadotville. Netflix. Just released.
A Irish Infantry Company of was sent to the Congo (Jadotville) as UN peacekeepers. A true story.
Interesting story war story.
3.5*
Saw it last night. It was a cover up by UN during the Cold War period. The troops were honored in 2005 due to politics. I was quite surprised the tension during the siege, very well scripted. Battle scenes were quite realistic. It was done very well for a Netflix movie. For those who are not familiar with the political background, it could be confusing.

The Irish commandant also starred in the 50 Shades of Grey.

7 out of 10.

41Fin

Post by 41Fin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:18 am

Went to the theater to see Detroit this past weekend.

It is based on the Algiers Motel Incident
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algiers_Motel_incident

Certainly not a feel good movie but they did a good job at telling a piece of American history.

bmelissa545

Post by bmelissa545 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:48 am

I feel like no one has heard of this movie, but I recently watched The Congress. It came out in 2013 and stars Robin Wright. You may know her as Claire Underwood in House of Cards. If you like dystopian or futuristic films, def check it out.

Levett

Post by Levett » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:40 pm

Wind River.

A very well-made, gripping film, about a much neglected area (Native-American reservations) and topic (violence on the reservations).

The cinematography is exceptional, and Jeremy Renner delivers a superbly restrained performance.

This is not family entertainment.

Lev

pjohnson

Post by pjohnson » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:44 pm

If you haven't seen Big Fish, I highly recommend it. I think it's on Hulu right now.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:14 am

I watched Nat King Cole: Afraid of the Dark, directed by Jon Brewer, on Netflix tonight.

This is not only a music documentary but also a social and cultural documentary, dealing with the racism that Nat King Cole encountered.
For example, even though he was headliner in Las Vegas, he could not stay at any Vegas hotels, other than seedy, rundown ”Black” motels.
Some of the music luminaries interviewed were Tony Bennett, Johnny Mathis, George Benson, Buddy Greco, Harry Belafonte, Aaron Neville, Nancy, Wilson, and Oscar Peterson. Also interviewed was Charles Evers, Medgar Evers' older brother; George Schlatter, his agent; and Carlos Gastel, his manager.
Gordon

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:43 pm

Narcos season 3 on Netflix. Amazing...
Financial Independence is the best revenge. | "Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." -Thoreau

Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:06 pm

I just watched Spotlight because my wife got to pick the movie. She picked it because it won Best Picture a couple of years ago. I was not too enthused about watching a movie about investigative journalism - it sounded a little dry to me. But man, it was riveting.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:53 pm

Hitmans BodyGuard.
Guy flick doing what guys do to each other for the loves of their lives.
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:47 am

tampaite wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:58 am
The 100 Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
Loved it. You might also like a Man called Ove . Also,
One Man and his Cow. All 3 are character driven, quirky, and take some commitment to get past the opening sequences and into the heart of each movie.
Last edited by Jackson12 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:01 am

Superbad, free on Amazon prime. Two teenage high school boys go after girls at parties. It's a guy movie with the expected dumb humor, there's nothing more to say. My husband picked the movie, he liked it.

Rogue One, $3.99 on Amazon. You knew what was going to happen, but from a perspective that hadn't been shown before. I liked it.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Ricola

Post by Ricola » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:46 pm

The House starring Will Ferrell. Silly funny. Despite not so good reviews, we enjoyed it. Relax and laugh a little. :)

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:08 pm

Levett wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:40 pm
Wind River.
A very well-made, gripping ...cinematography is exceptional, ...Jeremy Renner delivers a superbly restrained performance.
Agreed. Just saw it last night. A modern western with an important consciousness raising message. Worth seeing on the big screen.

Well cast too: Gil Birmingham, Graham Greene and Elizabeth Olsen also gave great performances.

The Atlantic review "mixed messages...uneven, but potent" was a tad harsh.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:59 pm

Toni Erdmann (Germany 2016)
A practical joking father invades his corporate daughter's life. Very funny. The New York Times review said the director was inspired by the Andy Kaufman / Tony Clifton combination. I recommend it.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:40 am

"Megan Leavey" which is about a Marine handler of a German Shepherd War Dog who fought to adopt the dog at the end of his Afghanistan war dog career. If is a tear jerker with good acting and story. It was very enjoyable. Semper Fi

"Guardians Galaxy" I rented it, sat down with my wife expecting a good Star Wars type of movie. It was awful, awful. We watched it for 15 minutes then shut it down. We couldn't take it, so we watched "Die Another Day", a 2002 James Bond movie on a cable Encore channel with Pierce Brosnan as James. It was fun as most Bond movies are. North Koreans were the bad guys in this one..like today it appears.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:36 am

The Manhattan Project on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:03 am

Gattaca. Good 90's movie.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:48 am

katwillny wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:29 pm
madbrain wrote:Long time no posting in this thread.

Lately, I rented "The girl with all the gifts" - very good horror / zombie movie, refreshing take on the subject.
Excellent Movie. Thanks for posting. Never heard of it until today from this post.
The girl with all the gifts, free on Amazon prime. I agree, it's a refreshing take on the subject. The movie promo says:
Six-time Academy Award nominee Glenn Close stars in a post-apocalyptic story about a devastating disease that eradicates free will and turns its victims into flesh-eating "hungries".
Glen Close is indeed a very good actor, but she's not the lead here. Her name is used promote the movie.

I fell asleep somewhere in the middle, but did see the end. My husband thought it was "OK".

If you're tired of the same old zombie movie, it's worth watching for a change of pace. The ideas are somewhat creative and the movie did have suspense in some parts.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:04 am

emanuel_v19 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:03 am
Iirc, this might be the only sci-fi movie I've ever enjoyed.

emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:33 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:04 am
emanuel_v19 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:03 am
Iirc, this might be the only sci-fi movie I've ever enjoyed.
I agree. A good all-around movie, especially the scene where he explains to his brother how he was able to defeat him in the open water. Good lines through out the movie.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:00 pm

Just finished Season 1 of Ozark (10 episodes) and really enjoyed it.

Just started Grace and Frankie, Season 1 and also are enjoying it as well.

Looks like we are trending toward Netflix/Amazon series rather than movies these days.

ED

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:04 pm

A Trip to Spain
A great guy flick. What that means is two guys ribbing each other by verbally insulting one other while impersonating famous actors. Add in terrific scenery and high end restaurant locations plus add a solid dose of middle aged angst and you will be taken on a fun trip.
Remember......Men insult men but don't mean it while women compliment women......but don't mean it. Hey I heard it from a friend (female).