What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Artful Dodger

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Artful Dodger » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:53 pm

My wife and I saw last week. Great movie, and really enjoyed it. I did not know before we saw it that was based on a true story, and whether much was changed for dramatic impact.

amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:29 pm

ETadvisor wrote:Gone Baby Gone - climatic ending that is very debatable
What?

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:36 pm

Maudie. One of the best movies of the year.

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainme ... lk-artist/

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:51 pm

jginseattle wrote:Maudie. One of the best movies of the year.
One of her paintings turned up recently at a thrift shop not far from here. It sold at a charity auction for $45,000. Not a bad investment considering her works sometimes sold "for as little as $2 and $3."

Maud Lewis art found in thrift store sells for $45,000

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:57 pm

Deepwater Horizon from Redbox. Wow! Great film.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:06 am

bertilak wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:Murder in Mesopotamia, on Netflix. The best in my opinion, the mystery is set at archeological site in Iraq.

Five Little Pigs, on Netflix.

Sad Cypress, on Netflix.

All are movie versions of Agatha Christie murder mysteries, featuring Hercule Poirot. Am I stuck in a rut???? Yes, I will probably watch the whole series. They are excellent so far.
A double whammy! Agatha Christie and David Suchet are both hard habits to break!

If you liked Murder in Mesopotamia you will probably also like Appointment with Death, another archeological dig story. It deserves special mention because the main protagonist is played by Tim Curry, billed second to Suchet.
We have now also watched --
The Hallows, from Netflix, and
Death on the Nile, from Netflix.

I hope to see Appointment with Death further on in the series.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:46 pm

Dunkirk:
Unlike the majority, I thought it was terrible. To me this "stream of consciousness" approach is just too pretentious. Tell the story, dammit, and don't waste my time trying to impress me with how good you are at confounding time and intermixing points of view.
My younger relatives all thought it was superb. But on further discussion, they simply think everything by this director is some sort of deeply meaningful "high art". Then come to find out the guy has done 10 films, 3 of which were BatMan movies. That simply confirms my view that modern moviegoers cannot separate fantasy from reality or history.
The actual Dunkirk was history. And very real.
The film "Dunkirk" was fantasy.

amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:16 am

obgraham wrote:Dunkirk:
Unlike the majority, I thought it was terrible. To me this "stream of consciousness" approach is just too pretentious. Tell the story, dammit, and don't waste my time trying to impress me with how good you are at confounding time and intermixing points of view.
My younger relatives all thought it was superb. But on further discussion, they simply think everything by this director is some sort of deeply meaningful "high art". Then come to find out the guy has done 10 films, 3 of which were BatMan movies. That simply confirms my view that modern moviegoers cannot separate fantasy from reality or history.
The actual Dunkirk was history. And very real.
The film "Dunkirk" was fantasy.

This take is so hot.

d0gerz

Post by d0gerz » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:45 pm

Sonatine - Japanese gangster movie from 1993. I liked it, it's not non-stop action yet still you feel as if at any moment something's about to happen.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:33 pm

Dunkirk.

I thought the movie was very good. Long ago I had read some history of the time, and the movie is faithful to what I recall of the actual history of the event.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Ninnie

Post by Ninnie » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:43 pm

Their Finest. A different kind of story about Dunkirk. I really enjoyed it. If you enjoyed the series Foyle's War, you would like this.

beachplum

Post by beachplum » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:46 pm

Just saw Maudie and found it to be one of the best films so far this year. Sally Hawkins will be hard to beat for best actress of the year.

magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:02 pm

Ninnie wrote:Their Finest. A different kind of story about Dunkirk. I really enjoyed it. If you enjoyed the series Foyle's War, you would like this.
+1

I really enjoyed this, too.

bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:23 pm

Saw Detroit last week. To say the least, it's intense. It happened fifty years ago. But it seems like it could have happened yesterday.

It remains surprising to me that America's most masculine movies continue to be made by a slender soft spoken female director in her 60s. How does Ms. Bigelow do it?

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_yl ... mp=yhs-004

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

Mickey7

Post by Mickey7 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:09 pm

Dunkirk. Stiff upper lip and all. Good movie.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:04 pm

'Allo 'Allo! is a British TV comedy that ran from 1982 for 9 seasons. So far I'm into season 2. Love it!

From the BBC web page:
  • René Artois is a café owner in the Nazi-occupied French town of Nouvion, whose efforts to appease a range of opposing factions without being killed provide the unlikely scenario for this long-running hit BBC One sitcom.
    Written and performed as a farce, writers David Croft and Jeremy Lloyd made great play of national stereotypes (sex-obsessed French, posh British twits)
The dialog is very clever. It puts one in mind of a (much) less frantic Benny Hill. One of many "tricks" is that even though there are German, French, English and even Italian characters who don't always speak each other's language, the actors all speak English but with appropriate accents, often exaggerated to humorous effect. So, we can understand everything, but there are misunderstandings and double entendres, like "Good Moaning" for "Good Morning". It gets even more convoluted when one English character tries to speak French but, without realizing it, does so very badly. Somehow the actors pull this off.

There are some repeated catch-phrases. The best one is Michelle's (the local leader of the French resistance) "Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once!" At one point this was followed by a short conversation ending with "You can say that again!" followed by an immediate comeback from a character who had been silent so far: "I bet she won't." At another time no one is paying attention and Michelle has to repeat that phrase to be heard.

In Michelle's honor I have updated my signature line.

Edit: added reference to Benny Hill
Last edited by bertilak on Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Saw Wonder Woman. I typically think that comic book movies are generally, at best, okay. This one was better than average for that genre in my opinion. So for fans of comic movies, they might really like it. If you dislike comic movies, you can skip this one.

Gal Gadot made a pretty good Wonder Woman, though. The preview for Justice League (also featuring Wonder Woman) looked so, so, so, awful. Just cringeworthy.

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:13 pm

Dunkirk -- not what I expected (not sure WHAT I expected) but powerful.

Intense, immersive, like a dream just before waking. Tells the story of the British evacuation on the wide French beach in May-June 1940, from three different perspectives -- land, sea, and air.

It helps to pay close attention to the sub-titles at the start of the film: The "Land" segment takes place over a week, the "Sea" story is over a single day, and the "Air" portion takes place in an hour.

There is a lot of cutting back-and forth between the segments, also time shifts. What was a bit confusing was the three Brit soldiers in the "Land" portion look much alike and there's minimal dialogue. Focus is needed to sort everything out. Highly emotional at the end.

(And it helps to know the historical context of events happening onscreen, because director Christopher Nolan assumes that you do).

Addendum: I see from up above not everyone thinks this movie works. My wife is in that category. I just went with it, getting exasperated at parts of it, but finding the end pulling things together. As some reviewers have noted, it's as much (or more) a horror movie than war movie. And "Saving Private Ryan" or "Band of Brothers" it ain't.

denismurf

Post by denismurf » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:30 pm

I saw Dunkirk at an IMAX theater the day it came out. It left me feeling empty, despondent, nauseated, and with one of those headaches that grinds away at the backs of your eyeballs.

After reading so many glowing reviews, I suspected there was something wrong with me, so decided on an impulse to watch it again last night. Same result.

Why? I don't know.

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:34 am

I found Dunkirk to remind me a little of The Thin Red Line, which captured a lot of the horror and surrealism of war without attempting a direct narrative arc. Story-driven narratives can make for great films, and great war films, but there's something about the way Dunkirk created an impression of the experience with a true narrative arc that I thought was quite fine.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:11 am

MoonOrb wrote:I found Dunkirk to remind me a little of The Thin Red Line, which captured a lot of the horror and surrealism of war without attempting a direct narrative arc. Story-driven narratives can make for great films, and great war films, but there's something about the way Dunkirk created an impression of the experience with a true narrative arc that I thought was quite fine.
Kind of felt the same way. I liked Dunkirk but it didn't really capture me. Perhaps because you don't really get too close to the characters. I recall seeing thin red line years ago and appreciating that it was probably very artistic and high level cinematography but nonetheless never really captured me. Somewhat the same with Dunkirk.

Yesterday saw latest Planet of the Apes series. Good movie but not great and I haven't watched every one of the series so that may have taken away a little bit from it.

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:26 am

Very good documentary with a plot twist at the end: The Overnighters.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:14 am

Dudes and Dragons, free on Amazon prime. How did Amazon rate this 4 stars? We turned it off after 5 minutes.

With renewed hope, we moved on to Infestation, free on Amazon prime. In the "so bad it's good" category, my husband thought it was good enough to keep watching. I didn't, but the movies were his pick this week. :)
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Koogie

Post by Koogie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:48 pm

We watched The Ottoman Lieutenant for date night last night. It tells the story of an American nurse to goes over to Anatolia just before the outbreak of WWI and helps at an American mission hospital.

The movie looks wonderful. Great Turkish scenery and decent money was spent to recreate Istanbul of the 1910s. The plot was your basic romcom love triangle nonsense. Ben Kingsley was okay in a bit part as was Josh Hartnett as one side of the triangle. Michael Huisman (ex. Game of Thrones) was another side of the triangle. His acting was meh. The female lead was some Scandinavian actress attempting a Philly accent. Oh my god was she terrible. One reviewer called her as bland as water which is both funny and truthful. She ruined the movie for me whereas DW says she was adequate.

There is apparently also a separate Christian Bale movie set at the same time and in the same place that is supposed to be better but I haven't seen it.

Also, this movie was financed by Turks so they whitewash the Armenian killings quite a bit. Apparently the Bale one goes to the other extreme. I won't comment on that as it is political but if you feel strongly about that situation, be aware.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:30 pm

JBTX wrote: Yesterday saw latest Planet of the Apes series. Good movie but not great and I haven't watched every one of the series so that may have taken away a little bit from it.
The first one (with James Franco) was really, really good and explains the beginnings of it all. Definitely worth a watch.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:06 am

Wolf of Wall Street.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:00 am

bertilak wrote:'Allo 'Allo! is a British TV comedy that ran from 1982 for 9 seasons. So far I'm into season 2. Love it!
The dialog is very clever.
Here is a sample of the clever dialog in the episode I saw last night. Set-up: A German general comes to town. This annoys several factions, each plotting to kill the general, all with somewhat silly methods:
  • The French resistance because he will be more successful in hunting them down than the current set of inept Germans.
  • The local German army colonel and staff because the general will discover their illegal war profiteering.
  • The Gestapo because of their inherent dislike of the army and their own illegal war profiteering.
When all the schemes come together at Rene's cafe the dialog goes:
  • Capt. Geering: Do you not see? That if you kill him with the pill from the till by making with it the drug in the jug, you need not light the candle with the handle on the gâteau from the château.
    René: Simple plots are always the best.
That is an homage to The Court Jester (1955). Griselda (Mildred Natwick) instructs Hawkins (Danny Kaye) on how to poison the Evil King:
  • Hawkins: I've got it! I've got it! The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true! Right?
    Griselda: Right. But there's been a change: they broke the chalice from the palace!
    Hawkins: They *broke* the chalice from the palace?
    Griselda: And replaced it with a flagon.
    Hawkins: A flagon...?
    Griselda: With the figure of a dragon.
    Hawkins: Flagon with a dragon.
    Griselda: Right.
    Hawkins: But did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?
    Griselda: No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!
    Hawkins: The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.
    Griselda: Just remember that.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:08 pm

bertilak wrote:
bertilak wrote:'Allo 'Allo! is a British TV comedy that ran from 1982 for 9 seasons. So far I'm into season 2. Love it!
The dialog is very clever.
Here is a sample of the clever dialog in the episode I saw last night. Set-up: A German general comes to town. This annoys several factions, each plotting to kill the general, all with somewhat silly methods:
  • The French resistance because he will be more successful in hunting them down than the current set of inept Germans.
  • The local German army colonel and staff because the general will discover their illegal war profiteering.
  • The Gestapo because of their inherent dislike of the army and their own illegal war profiteering.
When all the schemes come together at Rene's cafe the dialog goes:
  • Capt. Geering: Do you not see? That if you kill him with the pill from the till by making with it the drug in the jug, you need not light the candle with the handle on the gâteau from the château.
    René: Simple plots are always the best.
That is an homage to The Court Jester (1955). Griselda (Mildred Natwick) instructs Hawkins (Danny Kaye) on how to poison the Evil King:
  • Hawkins: I've got it! I've got it! The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true! Right?
    Griselda: Right. But there's been a change: they broke the chalice from the palace!
    Hawkins: They *broke* the chalice from the palace?
    Griselda: And replaced it with a flagon.
    Hawkins: A flagon...?
    Griselda: With the figure of a dragon.
    Hawkins: Flagon with a dragon.
    Griselda: Right.
    Hawkins: But did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?
    Griselda: No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!
    Hawkins: The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.
    Griselda: Just remember that.
Laughed at every line and still laughing. I remember some from the "Jester," but "Allo" is new to me. Thanks for posting. And don't stop - I'm now looking forward to season 3. :D
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Koogie

Post by Koogie » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:35 pm

...The dialog is very clever.
Watched that growing up (along with Benny Hill and the Carry On movies).

Rene (Gorden Kaye) only died a few months ago.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:11 pm

Koogie wrote:
...The dialog is very clever.
Watched that growing up (along with Benny Hill and the Carry On movies).

Rene (Gorden Kaye) only died a few months ago.
Yes, I heard. It was a sad coincidence that he died at just about the time I discovered Allo Allo.

Benny Hill was a genius. It was also sad when He died 1n 1992. Apparently he was a lonely man.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:34 am

A Ghost Story

Quirky, off-beat, and fascinating. A ghost observes the present, the future,
then goes back to the distant past and to the present again. Do not try to
figure out everything, you will get the gist, just enjoy the journey. Slow at
the beginning the story evolves and draws you in. No special effects used to
display a semi transparent ghost but rather an actor with a sheet and two
eye holes which is a refreshing break from over-the-top computer generated
images---and it works.

SGM

Post by SGM » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:00 am

1935 version of Mutiny on the Bounty. 3 actors nominated for best actor... Charles Laughton, Franchot Tone, and Clark Gable. Having 3 nominations from one film for best actor was embarrassing to the academy. Franchot Tone is credited with the academy's decision to set up a best supporting actor category.

We enjoyed Dunkirk in a local theater.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:04 pm

Watched Jackie recently and enjoyed it. Good acting and the whole production seemed very high quality.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:38 pm

I am hooked on Downton Abbey in Amazon Prime Video.
Financial Independence is the best revenge. | "Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." -Thoreau

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:45 pm

I watched Apocalypse Now again tonight for the first time in about 20 years. It's quite a movie.

spencer99

Post by spencer99 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:00 am

Ninnie wrote:Their Finest. A different kind of story about Dunkirk. I really enjoyed it. If you enjoyed the series Foyle's War, you would like this.
+1

Really enjoyable film. Just finished it last night. And just to elaborate on Ninnie's description, the movie is only peripherally related to Dunkirk. It's a wonderfully depicted period piece (1940) about the making of a Dunkirk-related British film to support the war effort. More a character piece, kinda sentimental in a nice way, and nicely sprinkled with character-driven humor (it's not a comedy). It's also terrifically acted by a large ensemble. The lead actress, Gemma Arterton (new to me), is radiant and Bill Nighy is, as always, amazing.

S

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:12 am

JBTX wrote:
MoonOrb wrote:I found Dunkirk to remind me a little of The Thin Red Line, which captured a lot of the horror and surrealism of war without attempting a direct narrative arc. Story-driven narratives can make for great films, and great war films, but there's something about the way Dunkirk created an impression of the experience with a true narrative arc that I thought was quite fine.
Kind of felt the same way. I liked Dunkirk but it didn't really capture me. Perhaps because you don't really get too close to the characters. I recall seeing thin red line years ago and appreciating that it was probably very artistic and high level cinematography but nonetheless never really captured me. Somewhat the same with Dunkirk.

Yesterday saw latest Planet of the Apes series. Good movie but not great and I haven't watched every one of the series so that may have taken away a little bit from it.
After the original series I couldn't attempt the remakes.

The original series just has moments of perfection. Basically the first movie in its entirety, but even the bad movies (Beneath i.e. no 2, Battle no 5). The ending of the first one, and of the 5th, are essentially 2 completely different movie streams, unrelated as to tone and message, and yet they both have something to say - -about America, then, and about our hopes and nightmares for the future-- race and racism, the apocalypse, police state, civil war etc.. We still sleep with those dreams and fears, every night, nearly 50 years later.

The Orange County Civic Center is also so well deployed in the 4th one (Conquest). And somehow I'll never forget the school bus (in the 5th one).

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:21 am

steve roy wrote:Dunkirk

Addendum: I see from up above not everyone thinks this movie works. My wife is in that category. I just went with it, getting exasperated at parts of it, but finding the end pulling things together. As some reviewers have noted, it's as much (or more) a horror movie than war movie. And "Saving Private Ryan" or "Band of Brothers" it ain't.
Rather a disaster movie, I think is how the director described it. That combination of the extreme claustrophobia of so many of the scenes, and the clock ticking.

There were moments in it that really felt like "the Towering Inferno" or "Earthquake" or "The Poseidon Adventure" or even "Airport" (the original one-- Airplane mercilessly satirizes it, but Airport, for its time, had its drama - George Kennedy with the cigar in the cockpit of the 707 stuck in the snow on the runway*).

* and one of the great movie lines of all time. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065377/quotes if you want to know (don't want to spoil it)

For me, I had those relatives. The navy officer, and the Army officer in charge on the beach, and the Spitfire pilot. I had a great uncle in the RAF who took Lancasters over Germany. Those were my father's cousins and uncles. Something about the film caught how they were, in their aging years, what they would have been as young men (the Kevin Branagh character is too old for the role, the actual navy officer would have been early 40s, but that can be forgiven). And that salute at the end.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:23 am

denismurf wrote:I saw Dunkirk at an IMAX theater the day it came out. It left me feeling empty, despondent, nauseated, and with one of those headaches that grinds away at the backs of your eyeballs.

After reading so many glowing reviews, I suspected there was something wrong with me, so decided on an impulse to watch it again last night. Same result.

Why? I don't know.
I am not sure I would have enjoyed it in IMAX-- too much motion, the cameras at sea etc. It was fine in a normal movie theatre (although I missed some of the dialogue-- sound issues).

The sense of desperation in the film absolutely pulled me into the screen. The director deliberately chose to use very young actors, rather than the usual Hollywood approach of having 30 year olds play 20 year olds).

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:31 am

Mickey7 wrote:Dunkirk. Stiff upper lip and all. Good movie.
Yes. In the officers and the Spitfire pilot. No, in it catches the desperation of the men on the beach, and the sense of total exhaustion when it is over.

It managed both to have the cliches of the time (the soldier reading Churchill's speech in the paper. the local newspaper at the end, and to go beyond them. That line by Mark Rylands "he's seen things no man should ever see-- he may never be the same again".

Those officers: I had great uncles and cousins in the Guards, the Royal Navy and the RAF in WW2. They were, in their dotage, like the men in the movie. That same sense of desperation but also a very clear eyed "do your duty" mentality. The jauntiness of so many war movies that "tally ho, Jerries at 6 o'clock" is not there-- they are in an impossible position, but they have a job to do, and they did it.

Some of the best propaganda films of the war (Went the Day Well, Fires were Started, the incomparable In Which We Serve) managed to catch that in the context of making propaganda movies (Casablanca is one of the greatest propaganda movies of all time, if not the greatest propaganda movie of all time).

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:24 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
. . . . (Casablanca is one of the greatest propaganda movies of all time, if not the greatest propaganda movie of all time).
You could have easily left out "propaganda", and you would have a more accurate description.
Gordon

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:29 pm

gkaplan wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:
. . . . (Casablanca is one of the greatest propaganda movies of all time, if not the greatest propaganda movie of all time).
You could have easily left out "propaganda", and you would have a more accurate description.
I think it probably is both, but its greatness goes beyond the propaganda, or maybe it’s what makes the propaganda great.

As an aside, the only quibble I've had after watching it countless times over the years is the parting of Rick and Ilsa at the end. Here I think propaganda got in the way and love alone should’ve won out.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:22 pm

Fallible wrote:
gkaplan wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:
I think it probably is both, but its greatness goes beyond the propaganda, or maybe it’s what makes the propaganda great.

As an aside, the only quibble I've had after watching it countless times over the years is the parting of Rick and Ilsa at the end. Here I think propaganda got in the way and love alone should’ve won out.
You're such a sentimentalist. :happy

Of course, I love the final scene where Rick and Captain Renault walk together in the fog, with Renault suggesting to Rick that they join the French Resistance.
Gordon

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:18 am

gkaplan wrote:
Fallible wrote:
gkaplan wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:

Sentimentalist??? Of course! :-)

But I think there’s some logic in there. For example, in his parting words to Ilsa, Rick says she belongs with Victor because she’s part of his work and what keeps him going. I think Victor would do his work no matter what Ilsa does because that’s what keeps him going. Another example: Rick says Ilsa can’t follow him because she can’t be part of his work; but she’s been part of Victor’s equally dangerous work, which will continue. Rick also says she’ll regret going with him, but I think she’ll regret what she does either way. And Rick says he’s no good at being noble, yet these are all noble words, part of the propaganda.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:49 pm

Fallible wrote:
gkaplan wrote:
Fallible wrote:
gkaplan wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:

But I think there’s some logic in there. For example, in his parting words to Ilsa, Rick says she belongs with Victor because she’s part of his work and what keeps him going. I think Victor would do his work no matter what Ilsa does because that’s what keeps him going. Another example: Rick says Ilsa can’t follow him because she can’t be part of his work; but she’s been part of Victor’s equally dangerous work, which will continue. Rick also says she’ll regret going with him, but I think she’ll regret what she does either way. And Rick says he’s no good at being noble, yet these are all noble words, part of the propaganda.
Note that I also commented in my post, "Of course, I love the final scene where Rick and Captain Renault walk together in the fog, with Renault suggesting to Rick that they join the French Resistance," so I too am a sentimentalist.
Gordon

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:29 pm

Two good, but challenging movies.

Detroit. Kathryn Bigelow is a very talented and justifiably celebrated director. But here her approach allows for little in the way of nuance or ambiguity. Protracted scenes of torture make this tough to watch.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/ ... se-streets

Wind River. Another grim story. An FBI agent teams up with a tracker to find the killer of a young woman on a Native American reservation. A movie about grief and loss. Includes harrowing scenes of violence. Director Taylor Sheridan wrote the screenplays for Sicario and Hell or High Water.

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainme ... -its-core/

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:50 pm

gkaplan wrote:
Fallible wrote:
gkaplan wrote:
Fallible wrote:
gkaplan wrote:

As an aside, the only quibble I've had after watching Casablanca countless times over the years is the parting of Rick and Ilsa at the end. Here I think propaganda got in the way and love alone should’ve won out.

Note that I also commented in my post, "Of course, I love the final scene where Rick and Captain Renault walk together in the fog, with Renault suggesting to Rick that they join the French Resistance," so I too am a sentimentalist.
Thanks for clarifying. Vive le sentimentalisme!

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:38 pm

I usually do binge watching of popular films on my return flights from Europe to the U.S. Unlike night flights to Europe, I don't want to sleep on these flights, and the Economy seats are too limiting for serious writing, reading and thinking. And so on my yesterday's flight from Paris I have watched:
- 5 to 7
- La La Land
- Manchester by the Sea.

5 to 7 is an American film about an affair of a New York author with a married French woman. This film has presented a French marriage as being very different and much more open, as in an "open marriage." It has confirmed the stereotypes of much of the French cinema, as well as films about the French, but was at odds with the French people I know. And so I have started a discussion of the French and American family values in our Economy row of three: a 20-yo French woman from Bordeaux in the aisle seat, a 24-yo guy from the DC area in the middle seat, and I in the window seat. The discussion was more fun than the film.

La La Land was entertaining but too negative about one's prospects in the show buziness. As an aspiring comedian and storyteller, in the past six months I had much more public exposure than Emma Stone's character had in six years.

Manchester by the Sea is an excellent film, but I wish I watched it first and then followed by lighter ones.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:04 pm

Sicario, free on Amazon prime. An FBI agent gets involved in a complicated drug trafficking plot. This movie got a lot of good reviews, but I think most of the suspense was due to the many unexpected "twists". It's not bad, but I wasn't impressed.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Conch55

Post by Conch55 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:17 pm

Passengers - soso
Deepwater Horizon - exciting
Margin Call - decent but not uplifting