What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
itstoomuch

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by itstoomuch »

Seige of Jadotville. Netflix. Just released.
A Irish Infantry Company of was sent to the Congo (Jadotville) as UN peacekeepers. A true story.
Interesting story war story.
3.5*
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

Bullitt

This was mentioned upthread so I decided to rewatch it. I usually hate old movies and I think Hollywood has learned a lot on how to tell a story. Bullitt is the exception. McQueen was awesome because he didn't overact like so many of his generation did. This movie was also subtle, most old movies seem to treat the audience like idiots and spoon feed everything to them.
Plus that chase scene...
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

MrNewEngland wrote:Bullitt

This was mentioned upthread so I decided to rewatch it. I usually hate old movies and I think Hollywood has learned a lot on how to tell a story. Bullitt is the exception. McQueen was awesome because he didn't overact like so many of his generation did. This movie was also subtle, most old movies seem to treat the audience like idiots and spoon feed everything to them.
Plus that chase scene...
I agree Bullitt is one of the best. I give a lot of the credit to the director, Peter Yates.

You may also like another Yates-directed movie, The Friends of Eddie Coyle. It stars Robert Mitchum as Eddie Coyle, an unusual role for him.

Also excellent in an important role is Peter Boyle, who you might remember as the Monster in Young Frankenstein. It even has Joe Santos of Rockford Files fame. The whole cast is great. This is one of those movies where everything came together.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

Queens Boulevard

This is the movie that really put Vincent Chase on the map and launched him into stardom. He plays a young man hiding out in his neighborhood in Queens. If you watch it make sure you watch the black and white version. Billy Walsh (the director) was very upset when he was found out they were re-releasing the film in color.
magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter »

Ricola wrote:Money Monster, directed by Jodie Foster includes George Clooney & Julia Roberts. We enjoyed it.
+1
I watched it a few nights ago and enjoyed it, too.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Little Men

A family inherits a building in Brooklyn but discover the departed Dad
had been undercharging a tenant(owner of a dressmaking shop) who was
a good friend and companion. The new owners are in need of money and
have to go through the painful and awkward process of raising the rent
which of course the shop owner cannot afford.
Two teen boys who have become good friends are on opposite ends of
the dilemma and are caught in the middle.
8/10
Last edited by wilson08 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

Just saw A Man Called Ove. Very good. I'd highly recommend for anyone.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister
MJW

Post by MJW »

Over the past month:

-Creed
-Straight Outta Compton
-The first 15 min or so of Ted 2 (I'm fine with crude humor when done cleverly, but this one seemed pointlessly foul)
-One Hour Photo
travellight

Post by travellight »

Watched Mascot on Netflix and really enjoyed it. Done by Christopher Guest who I think did Best in show.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Me Before You This was a surprisingly beautiful movie. The actors were a perfect tandem and complimented each others roles. It was a wonderful experience about what life really is. It is sad and joyful at the same time. It is especially for anyone who can leave the exploding bombs, burning cars and blunt force trauma of today's movies behind.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice »

MrNewEngland wrote:Queens Boulevard

This is the movie that really put Vincent Chase on the map and launched him into stardom. He plays a young man hiding out in his neighborhood in Queens. If you watch it make sure you watch the black and white version. Billy Walsh (the director) was very upset when he was found out they were re-releasing the film in color.
I know it was panned at Cannes and distributed for $1, but I prefer Medellin. The creative partnership of Walsh and Chase works even when it doesn't.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

amateurnovice wrote:
MrNewEngland wrote:Queens Boulevard

I know it was panned at Cannes and distributed for $1, but I prefer Medellin. The creative partnership of Walsh and Chase works even when it doesn't.

Medellin got a much worse reputation than it deserved. I think it was edited poorly but some of the shots in it were really great. In fact I think Netflix's Narcos stole a lot of ideas from it.
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

tludwig23 wrote:Just saw A Man Called Ove. Very good. I'd highly recommend for anyone.

I didn't know this was a movie. LOVED the book!
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

denismurf wrote:Florence Foster Jenkins:

Part comedy and part drama, so succeeds in neither. You might like this if you are really, really infatuated with Meryl Streep. Otherwise, probably not.
I liked it bc I'm really, really infatuated with Hugh Grant.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

"16 Blocks" with Bruce Willis and David Morse on Netflix. We enjoyed it and I have always liked David Morse in his many supporting roles (I.e. Hack).
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
soboggled

Post by soboggled »

"Deepwater Horizon", about the BP oil rig that blew. Interesting and scarey.
island

Post by island »

duplicate
island

Post by island »

Swimmer wrote:
tludwig23 wrote:Just saw A Man Called Ove. Very good. I'd highly recommend for anyone.

I didn't know this was a movie. LOVED the book!
Ditto to both statements. :D
RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan »

Apocalypse Now Redux (2001). Brilliant!
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Minimalism: a Documentary About the Important Things
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan »

Straight Outta Compton (2015). Grossly overrated. Terrible acting. We turned it off due to the filthy language and leftist political agenda.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

RoadHouseFan wrote:Straight Outta Compton (2015). Grossly overrated. Terrible acting. We turned it off due to the filthy language and leftist political agenda.
If you don't mind me asking: how old are you?

My friends and I all loved it but I said after the movie that there was a very narrow window of ages that the movie would appeal to.
amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice »

MrNewEngland wrote:
RoadHouseFan wrote:Straight Outta Compton (2015). Grossly overrated. Terrible acting. We turned it off due to the filthy language and leftist political agenda.
If you don't mind me asking: how old are you?

My friends and I all loved it but I said after the movie that there was a very narrow window of ages that the movie would appeal to.
Let's keep politics out of these reviews so we can keep this thread alive. Thx.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

The Night Manager, Based on John le Carré's novel of the same name, "The Night Manager" is a crime drama following the work of former British soldier Jonathan Pine. This is a BBC 6 part mini series staring Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie. Wow! this is great and even more appreciated as a le Carre fan, even my millennial liked it. :)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Corpse Bride, directed by Tim Burton (2005) on Netflix. A PG-rated (teens) animation which will get you into the Halloween spirit. I liked it.

Tip: Searching for "Tim Burton's Corpse Bride" on a Roku won't find it on Netflix. Use "Corpse Bride" directly in Netflix.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Ricola wrote:The Night Manager, Based on John le Carré's novel of the same name, "The Night Manager" is a crime drama following the work of former British soldier Jonathan Pine. This is a BBC 6 part mini series staring Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie. Wow! this is great and even more appreciated as a le Carre fan, even my millennial liked it. :)
I placed a hold on this with my library. So far, I'm far down on the list.

At one time, I had read all the le Carré novels but stopped around the time of The Little Drummer Girl back in the mid-eighties. I've decided that I'm going to start reading them again, starting with the first novel, right after I finish reading the last two of all the Ngaio Marsh novels that I have been reading from the beginning.
Gordon
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I watched Quiz Show, directed by Robert Redford, and starring John Turturro, Rob Morrow, Ralph Fiennes, David Paymer, Hank Azaria, Paul Schofield, Martin Scorcese, and Mira Sorvino. Excellent.
Gordon
digarei

Post by digarei »

wilson08 wrote:"The Second Best Exotic Marigold
Hotel"

Continuing saga about a group of British retirees in India that
have taken up residence in a restored hotel. Not bad but the
multiple stories within the story are scattered and humdrum.
Instead of this I would recommend the original from 2011:
"The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel".
I concur.

Surely the first "Best Exotic..." has been reviewed in the forum before but your mention of this film
has inspired me to contribute my own thoughts.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2011)

I think one has to have attained the age of 40 or be of the few who are thoughtful beyond their years to fully appreciate the problems and joys that permeate The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Though as mainstream an entertainment as the director's other major hit, Shakespeare in Love, John Madden is savvy enough or merely fortunate to find both a compelling story and a first rank cast of mostly British and Indian actors to exchange meaningful adult dialogue against what must be one of the best sets of the millennium: the compound that comprises the Marigold Hotel. Its tarnished but unentangled geometry of rooms and alcoves floats above the courtyard common, an airy proscenium where we see each of the characters of this play revealed.

Seven retired British seniors travel to the suburbs of Mumbai to take up residence in a derelict guest resort operated on a shoe string by a handsome and garrulous young man whose outsized idealism, ambitions and good nature are threatened by his family's dictates and customs.

The players are an ensemble of veterans (Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Thom Wilkinson) whose characters are imbued and portrayed with distinctive qualities one can understand and recognize from knowing the people we do in real life. One will be ebullient and generous; this one, petulant and hostile; another reflective, wistful; and so on. Each seems true--the words they speak match the people we see.

I liked the character played by Thom Wilkinson (Michael Clayton, In The Bedroom, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) but thought he was eliminated from the story too soon, before he became truly interesting. [I suspect but don't know that his contract specified 'No Sequels!']

Ronald Pickup and Bill Nighy are experienced actors that I don't remember seeing before but I appreciated both of their portrayals, as I did Celia Imrie, Dev Patel and so many other fine Indian actors whose names I am not familiar with.

The most memorable if unpleasant character in the movie was played, at full throttle, by Penelope Wilton.

I haven't known a performance as deeply moving or disturbing as that of this actress (prior films include 'Match Point' and 'Blame It on the Bellboy'), who as the deeply wounded and self-pitying Jean Ainslie, takes part in actively destroying her own chance for happiness and that of her loyal but long-suffering husband, played by Bill Nighy. In most of her scenes she exudes an inexorable negativity that belies the smile pasted on her face and upbeat small-talk. Anger and melancholia are at work on this woman's soul. And I really came to feel great sorrow for her and her husband.

In all, it's one of the very best mainstream features of recent years.

~~~
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I watched "The River Runs Through It" which starred Brad Pitt and was directed by Robert Redford. Originally released in early 1990s. It is story of 2 boys growing up in 1920s rural Montana and how different they turned out. It is an interesting story with great scenery of Montana and gives you a sense of what Montana was like during that time. It is the film adaptation of a semi-autobiographical story by Norman MacLean. I rate is 4 stars out of five.
black jack

Post by black jack »

in_reality wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:Deadpool. An R-rated dark comedy parody of the previous Marvel character movies. It has everything you'd expect from a Marvel movie, including a ton of action scenes. It kept me interested, but I wasn't impressed.
Marvel is anxious to grab hold of an older demographic for its MCU films (Marvel Comics Universe). Deadpool appeals to a male, politically incorrect audience. Generally it feels out of character with the general thrust of MCU.*

* MCU by its nature is lighter hearted than the equivalent DC universe.
Nah, it's MCU edgy all the way. From Iron Man's chemical dependency to discrimination against mutants and how they handle it, to Phoenix's dark side and what to do when a loved one turns ...Hulk's inability at self control ... and Spider Man introduced drugs to comics where previously drug use was not allowed by the "comic code" that publishers followed on content (even if it was a negative portrayal).

Granted DC was often bleaker and Batman especially so. Still, Marvel characters often struggled, and painfully so.

Anyway Deadpool is completely consistent with Marvel heritage ... his upside of wit and unyielding cause him real pain. His abilities (and disfigurement) set him apart from those he'd like to be accepted by. It's 100% consistent with Marvel as I know it from about three years (5th-7th grade) all of my money from two paper routes going into every Marvel comic I could buy (especially the back issues as wildly inflated prices). Maybe they had other eras where characters were different but Deadpool (who wasn't around then) certainly is consistent with the Marvel that I know.

When your differences cause un-acceptance, you know, what are you going to do? Sometimes you can find that acceptance and sometimes you can't. Anyway, the moral question was on the acceptability of violence. That is what was being asked. The taxi driver's abduction of the rival ... colossus speech on being a hero ... the ten bullets and how they are used/misused ... the dilemma on whether it's ok for him to use violence on a lady or sexist not to ...the question is there if you want to think about it ... but the answer is that love wins ... it's as irrepressible as Deadpool's spirit.

Of course Marvel likes to ask "what happens when an irresistible force meets an immoveable object". I await the next film. Just remember ... deadpool's not a hero by Marvel's and his own definition. Except that he is. And that's Marvel. Inherently contradictory so as to provoke social consciousness of different views. It's been that way since liberal student but law abiding hero Spider Man got in the middle of violent student protests in the 60's. Oh what to do ....

So run along and find the time to make a heart and feel love in your most challenging moment and you can be a hero like Deadpool too. Except he's not really a hero in his sweetheart's eyes ... cussing him out!!!
Appreciate your explanation of "Deadpool," in_reality. I knew nothing about the character, but just watched this, with my teen daughter, and loved it. From the opening credits ("Produced by - a couple of a**hats; directed by - an overpaid tool; written by - the real heroes here...") to the scene where the taxi driver has abducted his rival, to, heck, the whole film, it was a hoot. Guess I'm still in touch with my inner adolescent; laughing hysterically at this movie was a nice bonding experience with my daughter (fortunately, wife was not around).
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan »

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (2016). [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Denial. About the Holocaust. Pretty good movie , and good acting !

Ouija : origin of evil. Very stupid horror movie. But I guess I repeat myself.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

gkaplan wrote:I watched Quiz Show, directed by Robert Redford, and starring John Turturro, Rob Morrow, Ralph Fiennes, David Paymer, Hank Azaria, Paul Schofield, Martin Scorcese, and Mira Sorvino. Excellent.
I agree this was an excellent movie. Ralph Fiennes and John Turturro were
especially good in their roles. For some reason this movie did not do well
at the box office when released in 1994 but sometimes great movies do not
always bring in big crowds.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

LadyGeek wrote:Corpse Bride, directed by Tim Burton (2005) on Netflix. A PG-rated (teens) animation which will get you into the Halloween spirit. I liked it.
This is one of my fall favorites along with "Nightmare Before Christmas" and "Coraline". :) Coraline has an amazing soundtrack too.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed several comments and replies which disagree on the director of 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (2016), the discussion was derailing the thread.

Let's move on.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Ninnie

Post by Ninnie »

LadyGeek wrote:Corpse Bride, directed by Tim Burton (2005) on Netflix. A PG-rated (teens) animation which will get you into the Halloween spirit. I liked it.
Every year at Halloween we watch Corpse Bride (usually in the lead up - we watched it this weekend) and Nightmare before Christmas, usually on Halloween. Also, Edward Scissorhands generally makes it in sometime between now and Christmas (it's more of a Christmas movie to me).

Corpse Bride IMHO is underrated. It's a beautiful movie, if you're into its low-key vibe.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Our Kind of Traitor, adapted from John le Carré's novel of the same name. Le Carré was executive producer and also makes a cameo appearance in the film as an usher at Einstein Museum. Really Good!
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

We recently watched "Bernie." Didn't know Jack Black was so talented. We enjoyed it.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Jason Bourne. To me this is the best Bourne movie yet. High tech, fast moving, and of course the chase scenes are amazing. :)
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

"Everybody Wants Some" from Richard Linklater. I'll watch anything he produces.

This was not my favorite, but definitely a period piece for 80s nostalgia fans.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

Swimmer wrote:We recently watched "Bernie." Didn't know Jack Black was so talented. We enjoyed it.
good movie; i saw it about a year ago. the real bernie was interviewed on 60 minutes last week (i think). that was good too.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

madea! ya either like him or ya don't.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children, based on a book I have not read. I don't think I can possibly describe the story, but if you liked Coraline you will probably like this too. There were some very young children in the audience and I have some doubts about that; it gets pretty intense in spots.
RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan »

Dazed and Confused (1993). This movie features Matthew McConaughey's best performance. We enjoyed the soundtrack.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Ricola wrote:Jason Bourne. To me this is the best Bourne movie yet. High tech, fast moving, and of course the chase scenes are amazing. :)
I think the general consensus was that it was the worst Matt Damon Bourne film to date, and I very much agree. I was very disappointed because I really enjoyed the others. I pretty much whispered into my wife's ear the entire plotline 5min into the film.
traveler90

Post by traveler90 »

The Babadook - Australian horror movie

Not typically a big horror guy but enjoyed this one. 7/10
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

RoadHouseFan wrote:Dazed and Confused (1993). This movie features Matthew McConaughey's best performance. We enjoyed the soundtrack.

Great flick. It actually had a lot of young stars in it: Ben Affleck, Milla Jovovich, Joey Lauren Adams, Parker Posey, and some others that I think I am forgetting.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

"Hunt for the Wilderpeople"

An inner city kid with a troubled past is taken in by a couple who
live in the wilds of New Zealand. When the woman dies welfare
services plan to take the boy back but he balks and heads out into
the uninhabited wilderness with the foster "Uncle" in pursuit. A
manhunt ensues for both "fugitives". Mixture of comedy, drama,
and adventure with some harrowing and touching moments. New
Zealand has an amazing, almost alien wilderness.
8/10
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

As others noted, the book was very good too....

I recently saw Hell or High Water with Jeff Bridges, Chris Pine, and Ben Foster. Very good. Two brothers rob banks to get money to save the family ranch. It was very well acted and entertaining.