What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
new2bogle

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by new2bogle »

The new Jurassic Park. Good entertainment.
island

Post by island »

Horrible Bosses II was on TV recently and it was as the title advertises..HORRIBLE! :oops:

Not a movie, but the "WWI Apocalypse" multipart series I'm watching on the History Channel is fantastic. I can't believe the amount of footage they have from that time period! So interesting.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I have been getting caught up with "The Profit" on my Apple TV - CNBC App.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake »

Longmire, on Netflix....

We thinks it's good....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69
Toons

Post by Toons »

The Babadook :shock:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
mrehal

Post by mrehal »

Took the family to see Jurassic World in 3D opening weekend. Great movie.
After that, saw Inside Out. Nice kid movie with good message. Helps the little guy think with "Joy" rather than with "Anger."

Currently also binging on Criminal Minds on Netflix.
JDot

Post by JDot »

Absolutely loved Ex Machina. Disclaimer: I like slightly weird and disturbing films. I think this one has enough mainstream appeal as well though.
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

"This Must Be the Place", starring Sean Penn as an aging goth rocker who avenges his father's Nazi tormenter....I love quirky movies.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

MikeWillRetire wrote:"This Must Be the Place", starring Sean Penn as an aging goth rocker who avenges his father's Nazi tormenter....I love quirky movies.
Paolo Sorrentino also directed these excellent films: Il Divo, and The Great Beauty.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

joe dirt 2 is now streaming for free on crackle.

unfortunately, it is nowhere near as good as the classic original.
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

Lots of disappointing movies:

Jurassic World - I love the premise of this series. I love the special effects. This movie is by far the weakest
in terms of story line. (In my humble opinion.)

Backcountry - For anyone that has spent any time backpacking in bear country, you spend your whole time
in this movie smacking your forehead .... enough said. Silly alternating with bad. Great
reviews on Rotten Tomatoes though.

Welcome To Me - Kristen Wiig is an interesting actress. Quirky movie. Sad and funny. I don't think the
movie shows off her comedic talents as well as one might hope for.

For those who say they like quirky movies .... trust me ... you have to see "Wild Tales" (Cuentos Salvajes is the
Spanish title). Great movie!!
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

pezblanco wrote:Lots of disappointing movies:

Backcountry - For anyone that has spent any time backpacking in bear country, you spend your whole time
in this movie smacking your forehead .... enough said. Silly alternating with bad. Great
as a long distance hiker i gotta see this. how is this movie available; streaming, dvd, brick and mortar?

gotta be better than "wild".
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Trainwreck. Liked it a lot. Remember it is a raunchy rom com, so those easily offended will not care for it. Amy Schumer is blowing up right now, and this movie showcases her writing and acting talents.
Mike
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

miles monroe wrote:
pezblanco wrote:Lots of disappointing movies:

as a long distance hiker i gotta see this. how is this movie available; streaming, dvd, brick and mortar?

gotta be better than "wild".
Local theatre that shows off beat, less popular, art movies, etc .... I suspect it'll be out on DVD soon.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Human Planet
A series of excellent shows produced by BBC,Netflix :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

I viewed Lolita last night on TCM. What a great flick and TCM (with not breaks) makes it even better. Thanks TCM :beer
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
Minot

Post by Minot »

Rattlesnake wrote:Longmire, on Netflix....

We thinks it's good....
I liked the books better.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Friday night, on Netflix, I watched Chef, starring Jon Favreau, Sofia Vergara, John Leguizamo, Scarlett Johansson, Emjay Anthony, Bobby Cannavale, Oliver Platt, and Dustin Hoffman. Very good.

Saturday night, on Netflix, I watched Frida, starring Salma Hayek and Alfred Molina. Meh.
Gordon
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

In the past week I have watched the following movies on Netflix:

The Long Way Home: This 1997 documentary depicts the plight of Jewish refugees after World War II that contributed to the creation of the State of Israel. The film's emphasis is on the pitiful conditions for Jewish refugees in Europe after the war, as antisemitism was still rife and poverty was common. It also shows how emigration to the British Mandate of Palestine became a goal for many but that British immigration rules often resulted in them being detained in camps in Cyprus. The eventual formation of the State of Israel is then shown, with emphasis on the debates in the White House between Palestinian Jews, President Truman, and the United Nations. The Long Way Home is directed by Mark Jonathan Harris and narrated by Morgan Freeman. It features the voices of, among others, Ed Asner, Sean Astin, Martin Landau, David Paymer, Nina Siemaszko, and Michael York. The film won the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature in 1998. Unfortunate, the film is not shown in letter-box format.

In the Loop: This movie is directed by Armando Iannucci and stars Pete Capaldi,Tom Hollander, Gina McKee, Chris Addison, David Rasche, Mimi Kennedy, Anna Chlumsky, and James Gandolfini. It satirizes Anglo-American politics and policy in the 21st century. Both the UK and the US are on the verge of launching a war in the Middle East. The plot follows government officials and advisors in their out-of-public view efforts either to promote the war or to prevent it.

I Have Not Forgotten You: Directed by Richard Train and narrated by Nicole Kidman, this 2006 documentary chronicles the life of Simon Wiesenthal.

Soapdish: This film is directed by Michael Hoffman and stars Sally Field, Kevin Kline, Robert Downey, Jr., Elizabeth Shue, Whoopie Goldberg,
Teri Hatcher, Cathy Moriarty, Gary Marshall, Kathy Najimy, and Carrie Fisher. An ambitious TV soap actress connives with her producer to scuttle the career of the show's long-time star, but nothing works as they plan. I first saw this 1991 film on an Amtrak trip up to Martinez (California) to visit friends in Pinole for Thanksgiving and have watched it several times since on television. It's a lot of fun.

Stories We Tell: This is a 2012 Canadian documentary film written and directed by actor Sarah Polley and produced by the National Film Board of Canada (NFB). The film explores her family's secrets – including one intimately related to Polley's own identity. The film looks at the relationship between Polley's parents, Michael and Diane Polley. The film reveals that Sarah Polley was the product of an extramarital affair between her mother and Montreal producer Harry Gulkin. It incorporates interviews with Polley's siblings from her mother's two marriages, interviews with other relatives and family friends, and Michael Polley's narration of his memoir. In her blog post on the NFB website, Polley reveals that several journalists had known about the story of her biological father for years. (Diane Polley died of cancer on January 10, 1990, the week of Sarah Polley's eleventh birthday.)
Gordon
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Theory of Everything, bio of Stephen Hawking. It was good.
Birdman, Best Picture 2014. I'm watching it right now and not really liking it.
Whiplash, scary good.
Keys to the Castle, documentary on BBC about an old couple having to sell their Scottish castle after restoring and living in it 50 years, interesting.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

American Sniper. It was better than I expected, I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LynnC

Post by LynnC »

Hector and the search for Happiness, on Netflix.

What a delightful fun romp!

LynnC
Levett

Post by Levett »

Mr. Holmes for the first time and The Drop for the second time.

Ian McKellen's performance in Holmes has been justly celebrated, but there's far more to the film than just his performance.

The Drop features fine performances throughout. It's a gritty urban drama with a pit bull that matches the central character played by Tom Hardy. The film has a spare but memorable script.

:thumbsup for both films.

Lev
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

LadyGeek wrote:American Sniper. It was better than I expected, I liked it.
Acting was very good, but by the time the movie ended, it seemed the sniper angle was almost incidental to the psychological impact of war. Also, I was puzzled by some of the early sniper scenes, in particular the woman and young boy. Why didn't Kyle shoot the woman as soon as he saw the grenade, possibly sparing the boy's life? There is so much we don't know about the training of snipers that it's hard to judge when a decision to kill is warranted.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
daveatca

minions

Post by daveatca »

Minions
Excellent prequel.

Mr Holmes
Intriguing story line. Wonderful acting.
Last edited by daveatca on Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

I'll See You in My Dreams

A 2015 release that is a touching story of a woman
who seeks to escape the hum-drum retirement
routine by adding a little spice and love to her
life. This movie has a hopeful but not sugary
ending.
Nice performances by Blythe Danner, Martin
Starr, and Sam Elliot.
dickyboy

Post by dickyboy »

Last saw American Sniper. Another great movie from Clint Eastwood, if you like action stuff.
Van

Post by Van »

Love & Mercy. The story of Brian Wilson, the genius behind the Beachboys group.

Very good. I recommend it.
amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice »

I Love You, Man

Jason Segel and Paul Rudd

Very funny, cute buddy film. Segel plays a slacker-esque bro type to balance the uptight, trying-way-too-hard to be cool Paul Rudd in this one. I like the Rudd Segel dynamic and the music of Rush, so it is a good comedy in my opinion.
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

LynnC wrote:Hector and the search for Happiness, on Netflix.

What a delightful fun romp!

LynnC
Another vote for this movie
mxs

Post by mxs »

Fallible wrote:
Acting was very good, but by the time the movie ended, it seemed the sniper angle was almost incidental to the psychological impact of war. Also, I was puzzled by some of the early sniper scenes, in particular the woman and young boy. Why didn't Kyle shoot the woman as soon as he saw the grenade, possibly sparing the boy's life? There is so much we don't know about the training of snipers that it's hard to judge when a decision to kill is warranted.
The movie depicted that as his first time killing anyone, which I think would cause anyone to pause before acting. Not to mention that situation (mother and young son suicide) would give pause also. Finally, later in the movie they show Kyle being questioned about shooting someone, and he said that he saw the person with an AK-47 (something about pressed metal is said). Sometimes you have to get approval for decisions like this, and him being new, he would understandably not necessarily make that decision immediately. Looking at it as a third person and in hindsight it is pretty clear that he was justified in the shooting. Hindsight is 20/20 or darn close.
Toons

Post by Toons »

The Guest
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

mxs wrote:
Fallible wrote:
The movie depicted that as his first time killing anyone, which I think would cause anyone to pause before acting. Not to mention that situation (mother and young son suicide) would give pause also. Finally, later in the movie they show Kyle being questioned about shooting someone, and he said that he saw the person with an AK-47 (something about pressed metal is said). Sometimes you have to get approval for decisions like this, and him being new, he would understandably not necessarily make that decision immediately. Looking at it as a third person and in hindsight it is pretty clear that he was justified in the shooting. Hindsight is 20/20 or darn close.
Yes, hindsight is just that. And once the grenade was spotted, he was justified - and trained - to shoot.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
mxs

Post by mxs »

Fallible wrote:
Yes, hindsight is just that. And once the grenade was spotted, he was justified - and trained - to shoot.
People go through training of all kinds, but when you have to do something the first time for real who knows how you will act. Who is to say if he had shot the mom earlier, that the son wouldn't have picked up the grenade then.

Ex Machina was very good but quirky.
Unbroken - very good
Selma - very good
Focus - just an okay movie. Will Smith has done a lot better (The Pursuit of Happyness)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Fallible wrote:
I had a lot of thoughts on the one-sided bias of the story, but I won't mention them here. Basically, this is a movie - entertainment - not a documentary.

Clint Eastwood deserves the awards for making this movie.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

mxs wrote:
Fallible wrote:
People go through training of all kinds, but when you have to do something the first time for real who knows how you will act. Who is to say if he had shot the mom earlier, that the son wouldn't have picked up the grenade then. ...
You're right about the first time out. And nobody knows whether the boy, having witnessed up close the horror of the woman shot, would run away in fear or hang onto the grenade and run toward the troops.
siamond

Post by siamond »

I didn't watch a movie that I deemed suitable to add to my "all-time favorites" list in quite a while... Lo and behold, here comes the latest Pixar (Inside Out). What a marvel of a movie. Funny, poignant, a visual feast, incredibly inventive, and OH-SO-CLEVER. It may look like a kids' movie (and kids will love it too), but this is so much more to it. I guarantee a mix of strong emotions when you'll be done watching it. Which is the entire point!
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Toons wrote:The Guest
A very fun B movie, like a John Carpenter film from the 1980s.
Toons

Post by Toons »

jginseattle wrote:
Toons wrote:The Guest
A very fun B movie, like a John Carpenter film from the 1980s.
:thumbsup
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

The Frozen Ground on Netflix with Nicolas Cage and John Cusack. Good movie based on true events.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Toons

Post by Toons »

Return To The Phillipines-Netflix :happy
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

I'm old
They're all reruns!
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

Would like to see the new "Mr. Holmes" with Ian McKellen. Supposed to be very good. Has anyone seen it yet?
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I have watched the following two movies on Netflix in recent days:

My Italian Secret: the Forgotten Heroes: This is a 2014 documentary narrated by Isabella Rossellini and written and directed by Oren Jacoby.
It tells the story of the rescue of thousands of Italian Jews during World War II by ordinary and prominent Italians, including the champion cyclist Gino Bartali.

The Burning Plain: This 2008 American indie film is directed by Guillermo Arriaga and stars Charlize Theron, Jennifer Lawrence, Kim Basinger, Joaquim de Almeida, Danny Pino, J. D. Pardo, Tessa La, and José María Yazpik. In the present, Sylvia (Theron) appears to lead a confident life as a restaurant manager, but she cleverly hides her promiscuity, self-mutilation, and suicidal impulses. In the past, a young girl named Mariana (Lawrence) tries to figure out why her mother (Basinger) began an affair as she enters into a relationship with the son of her mother's lover. The threads of these dysfunctional lives are increasingly tied together, although it took me most of the first half of the movie to tie the threads. Parts of the movie were shot in Portland.
Gordon
denismurf

Post by denismurf »

Thanks to Lady Geek for reminding us that American Sniper is a movie, meant to entertain, not a partisan screed disguised as entertainment.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

denismurf wrote:Thanks to Lady Geek for reminding us that American Sniper is a movie, meant to entertain, not a partisan screed disguised as entertainment.
Not to entertain, but to inform and was not one sided.
All the Best, | Joe
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Last night, on Netflix, I watched Ballerina . Bertrand Normand's intimate 2006 documentary begins with the acceptance of a young dancer (Alina Somova) into Russia's prestigious Kirov Ballet. Using her story and that of four other accomplished ballerinas (Svetlana Zakharova, Evguenya Obraztsova, Diana Vishneva, Ulyana Lopatkina) at various stages in their careers, the film sheds light on the individual dancers' struggles, anxieties, and achievements. Mr. Normand follows the progress of these five young women from their acceptances at elite ballet schools to their careers at the apex of the Russian ballet hierarchy and global renown. We eavesdrop on rehearsals, go backstage at auditions, and sit among the audience for performances at the Mariinsky Theater in St. Petersburg, home of Russia’s greatest dance company. The film also emphasizes the significance of ballet in Russian culture. The film is narrated by actress Diane Baker.
Gordon
Munir

Post by Munir »

joe8d wrote:
denismurf wrote:Thanks to Lady Geek for reminding us that American Sniper is a movie, meant to entertain, not a partisan screed disguised as entertainment.
Not to entertain, but to inform and was not one sided.
Glorification of killing leads to murder on our streets.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Last night, on Netflix, I watched The Yards. This is a 2000 movie directed by James Gray and starring Mark Wahlberg, Joaquin Phoenix, Charlize Theron, James Caan, Ellen Burstyn, Faye Dunaway, and Steve Lawrence. It was pretty good. Many of the reviewers on Netflix compared the movie to The Godfather or maybe it was Goodfellas. I don't see it.
Gordon
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

I just finished watching "A Moment to Remember". It's a South Korean movie in the genre of the Notebook (although it came out years before the Notebook). It stars Son Ye-jin (stunning beauty) and Jung Woo-sung (a true gentleman) and follows a relationship and the burdens of loss caused by Alzheimer's disease. It's a tearjerker for sure. English subtitles and available on Netflix or just watch on YouTube for free. Enjoy, but have tissues ready!
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282