What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
itstoomuch

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by itstoomuch »

Coco.
Disney/Pixar. It's the story. Always the story. :happy :happy :) .
My son treated me to the pix. I like good stories.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Star Wars -- The Last Jedi. Saw it at the theater. Ho-hum.
Dunkirk -- just okay but better than the above.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

I'm planning to see "Darkest Hour" soon. Looks pretty much like everyone who saw it on BH here gave it thumbs up... most people do give great reviews in the press. I happened to notice there's one reviewer who refuses to see it because he says the scene in public transportation ("the tube") wasn't true and he felt it was too much artistic license to have written it that way.
But, I'm planning on seeing it anyway. :happy
Has anyone seen a film about Van Gogh called "Loving Vincent" ?
bt
travellight

Post by travellight »

I saw Phantom thread and enjoyed it. The ending was a surprise to me and I am not sure how I feel about it but I had liked the movie to that point. DDL is mesmerizing to watch. It seems premature for him to be retiring.
travellight

Post by travellight »

I finally saw Florence Foster Jenkins on TV recently and was thoroughly delighted. I thought it would be a bit stodgy but it had me laughing out loud. Meryl is outstanding as usual but I was charmed by Hugh Grant's performance.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Darkest Hour

The movie is focused on a critical one month period(May 1940) of British
history, probably the most decisive time for England since 1066. England
was totally alone and the German war machine appeared to be unstoppable.
There was a temptation, by some at the time, to consider "peace negotiations",
which in hindsight would have been tantamount to surrender. The importance
of the leadership and determination of Winston Churchill during this perilous
period of time was beyond words.
Gary Oldman is extraordinary as Churchill, even eclipsing John Lithgow's
outstanding portrayal of the Prime Minister in The Crown in my opinion.
Excellent movie, highly recommended.
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)

Very good cold war spy film set in London in the 1970's. Fantastic cast and acting.

Gary Oldman as George Smiley ("Beggarman")
Colin Firth as Bill Haydon ("Tailor")
Tom Hardy as Ricki Tarr
Mark Strong as Jim Prideaux
Ciarán Hinds as Roy Bland ("Soldier")
Benedict Cumberbatch as Peter Guillam
David Dencik as Toby Esterhase ("Poorman")
Stephen Graham as Jerry Westerby
Simon McBurney as Oliver Lacon
Toby Jones as Percy Alleline ("Tinker")
John Hurt as Control
Kathy Burke as Connie Sachs
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

ebrasmus21 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:29 pm
Artful Dodger wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:57 pm
ebrasmus21 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:48 pm
Artful Dodger wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:14 pm
ebrasmus21 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:17 am Darkest Hour - great movie. Couldn't imagine the stress and fear and uncertainty of what Britain was up against at that point in the war.

Molly's Game - pretty amazing story. Really enjoyed the story and the acting was great. Jessica isn't exactly tough on the eyes either.
Saw this past Wednesday. Enjoyed very much. It's easy to forget after winning the war how much opposition there was to fighting on. Britain had suffered greatly in WW1 and lost many, and not all were keen to repeat.
Indeed. What it must have been like working in that map room day in and day out.
One thing I most enjoyed in the movie was the time they spent in the war rooms. I was just there last September, and could better appreciate what it was like.
You got to actually see it? Wow, I'd love to see that place.
Sorry I didn't see your reply earlier. Just returned from ten days on vacation, and took a break from most internet stuff. Here's the web address for the Churchill War Rooms. Take a look and explore some. Hopefully you'll make it to London some time and can visit in person.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/churchill-war-rooms

On the plane ride back from Mexico, I started to watch Dunkirk. Only got 30 minutes, but will find the time to finish when I can.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Shape of water on saturday. First time in a theater in a while. It was a good movie, but not great. Can't understand why it has so many oscar nominations.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

On the plane back from our vacation to Mexico...

Watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbling, Missouri - great story and acting.
Saw first 30 minutes of Dunkirk. No opinion yet. Will have to finish.

Checked out the trailer for Professor Marsten and the Wonder Women. The back story on the original comic book creator Marsten, his wife and their mutual mistress Olive Byrne. The trailer showed some type of investigation into the comic book stories which were accused of including sexual imagery, sadomasochism, and lesbian imagery. The reviews on Rotten tomatoes were very good, and I was wondering if anyone here had seen the film. (Byrne was the daughter of Ethel Byrne, who was imprisoned in 1917 for advocating women's right to birth control information, and went on a hunger strike to support her cause. Olive was also Margaret Sanger's niece.)
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

The Detectorists Their final season (3) is now streaming on both Netflix and Amazon (with Acorn subscription). If you've seen the first two seasons you won't want to miss this one.

The characters are people you would love to have in your circle of friends.

Good Guys (Played by Toby Jones and McKenzie Crook -- who is also writer and director.)

Even the bad guys are not all that bad! (Simon and Garfunkel! The mere existence of these two characters is pure comic genius.)

From a online review (http://www.nouse.co.uk/2017/12/18/detec ... -treasure/):
  • There is no sole element which makes Detectorists so enthralling, it is more like a symphony where the true greatness occurs when every piece of the orchestra works together. The brilliance of Crook’s writing, combined with the cast’s talent and the visual feel of the show come together to make it truly unique. The commitment to keeping it low-key and loveable really sets it apart from the high-action, instant-satisfaction pieces that are so popular today, which to many fans and critics alike have made it one of the standout pieces of television comedy of the last decade.
Last edited by bertilak on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Thor: Ragnorok. It goes on for too long. It has a surfeit of CGI. But it's also funny and highly entertaining. It all works because of the very good cast and director Taika Waititi, who also did the fabulous What We Do in the Shadows.

Recommended.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... all-of-it/
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

"The Saint" on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
telemark

Post by telemark »

Netflix probably doesn't have a category for "buddy cop comedies with a fantasy element", but I've been watching them anyway. First Bright, then Men in Black, and finally Zootopia. That may be the last one, since nothing else comes to mind.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

abuss368 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:53 pm "The Saint" on Netflix.
I couldn't get through that... it was honestly probably one of the 10 worst films I've ever seen.
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

telemark wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:21 pm Netflix probably doesn't have a category for "buddy cop comedies with a fantasy element", but I've been watching them anyway. First Bright, then Men in Black, and finally Zootopia. That may be the last one, since nothing else comes to mind.
Alien Nation might qualify. There's also a 2017 movie called Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets which looks as if it had mixed-to-negative reviews. Other movies that might be in the right general neighborhood include Total Recall, Trancers, and The Last Action Hero (which was panned as an action movie but which some reviewers thought succeeded as a satire/spoof).
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

MrNewEngland wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:04 am
abuss368 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:53 pm "The Saint" on Netflix.
I couldn't get through that... it was honestly probably one of the 10 worst films I've ever seen.
I still could not tell if it was serious or a comedy.
dahsom

Post by dahsom »

Wind River

One of the best movies I've ever watched.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Artful Dodger wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:04 pm

Checked out the trailer for Professor Marsten and the Wonder Women. The back story on the original comic book creator Marsten, his wife and their mutual mistress Olive Byrne. The trailer showed some type of investigation into the comic book stories which were accused of including sexual imagery, sadomasochism, and lesbian imagery. The reviews on Rotten tomatoes were very good, and I was wondering if anyone here had seen the film. (Byrne was the daughter of Ethel Byrne, who was imprisoned in 1917 for advocating women's right to birth control information, and went on a hunger strike to support her cause. Olive was also Margaret Sanger's niece.)
It was an odd little movie; I think the filmmakers stayed fairly close to the facts of the story, however there was a very jarring use of modern dialogue with lots of women using VERY salty language which probably was NOT happening at Radcliffe in the 20s.

I would say it's worth a watch once it is on Netflix or Amazon, wouldn't necessarily advise spending money to see it.
denismurf

Post by denismurf »

Just finished watching Get Out on DVD. It starts out as a typical flick about a rich white chick who takes her black boyfriend home to meet her rich white parents without telling them about boyfriend's race. BUT,

Things start getting weird as the couple drives to the parents' mansion, and the surprises keep on coming right up to the movie's end. Anything more would be spoilers.

I give it 5/5; don't show it to kids under about 12, but grownups should be prepared to laugh.
strycker001

Post by strycker001 »

madbrain wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:34 pm Shape of water on saturday. First time in a theater in a while. It was a good movie, but not great. Can't understand why it has so many oscar nominations.
Saw this one last night in the theater since it's about to leave. I've always liked the Del Toro's artful, kind of dark films. It's definitely a different take on a monster movie, so to speak. If you've not seem Crimson Peak, that is another of his films you may enjoy. As for the Oscar's they always tend to pick something like this that hardly anyone actually saw or knows about it seems. It definitely fits the artsy film genre they tend to like.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

pennywise wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:26 pm
Artful Dodger wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:04 pm

It was an odd little movie; I think the filmmakers stayed fairly close to the facts of the story, however there was a very jarring use of modern dialogue with lots of women using VERY salty language which probably was NOT happening at Radcliffe in the 20s.

I would say it's worth a watch once it is on Netflix or Amazon, wouldn't necessarily advise spending money to see it.
Thanks much for your reply. I was interested having seen the Wonder Woman movie, then watching the trailer on this back story. A lot of times, I'll check movies that I've never heard of that are available On Demand or Netfix, and the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are pretty tepid, but this one had a 92% critic / 79% audience rating so was intrigued. I looked online and the DVD came out a week ago, so hopefully will be available via streaming somewhere soon.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

.Just watched "BLACK HAWK DOWN"...........true story about US forces in Somlia...........WOW....WOW....WOW!

The film takes place in 1993 when the U.S. sent special forces into Somalia to destabilize the government and bring food and humanitarian aid to the starving population. Using Black Hawk helicopters to lower the soldiers onto the ground, an unexpected attack by Somalian forces brings two of the helicopters down immediately. From there, the U.S. soldiers must struggle to regain their balance while enduring heavy gunfire.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Watching "Waco" the series.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

bowtie wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:05 pm I'm planning to see "Darkest Hour" soon. Looks pretty much like everyone who saw it on BH here gave it thumbs up... most people do give great reviews in the press. I happened to notice there's one reviewer who refuses to see it because he says the scene in public transportation ("the tube") wasn't true and he felt it was too much artistic license to have written it that way.
But, I'm planning on seeing it anyway. :happy
Has anyone seen a film about Van Gogh called "Loving Vincent" ?
bt
Yes, I just saw Loving Vincent tonight on Blu-ray. Beautiful and unique film, enjoyed every bit of it. It's been nominated for an Academy Award for best animated feature. It should win.
Last edited by Nicolas on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wbond

Post by wbond »

Groundhog Day - for the holiday, and for its 25th Anniversary. Humbly, a piece on the greatest film of my lifetime: "Groundhog Day and the Pursuit of Happiness"
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

"Wizard of Lies" about Bernie Madoff. Robert De Niro plays this role really well.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Blade Runner 2049 - A
Only the Brave - B+
American Assassins - C
Windy River - B
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

For Greater Glory: The True Story of Cristiada

A story of the Christero War in Mexico (1927-29).
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

I saw Detroit recently. Highly recommended, if you can handle the intensity. Definitely not a date night movie. It's about the Detroit riots of 1967, and one particular incident of brutality.

Somewhat surprised it didn't get any Oscar recognition. Perhaps because it doesn't have a happy ending, nor any heroes. Just bad guys, victims, and survivors.

If you saw O.J.: Made in America (which belongs IMO on every short list of great documentaries), you should see this too.
theDON2050

Post by theDON2050 »

This was posted a few years back in this thread but just a reminder to watch "Hell or High Water". Great movie.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

bertilak wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:50 pm The Detectorists Their final season (3) is now streaming on both Netflix and Amazon (with Acorn subscription). If you've seen the first two seasons you won't want to miss this one.
Just want to second this recommendation. I loved this series so much I was sad when I reached the end of season 2!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

House Blend wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:17 am I saw Detroit recently. Highly recommended, if you can handle the intensity. Definitely not a date night movie. It's about the Detroit riots of 1967, and one particular incident of brutality.
It is also fairly accurate. One of my now-deceased friends was a police officer who was guarding the Detroit police officers who was involved in the Algier Motel Incident.

I did NOT expect that the film would be awarded any awards. That is not the type of movie that receives awards, one that shows a cold, stark reality.
Didymograptus

Post by Didymograptus »

Seen on a plane from Copenhagen to Chicago, Victoria and Abdul.

Good film about the elderly Queen Victoria and her platonic but close relationship with an Indian servant. Starring Judi Dench. 7/10 - worth a watch.
The best things in life aren't things
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

"The Greatest Showman"

The life (actually the early life) of P.T. Barnum, starring Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron and Michelle Williams.

Years ago (early '80s), I saw the theatrical musical "Barnum!" starring Jim Dale. "The Greatest Showman!" is considerably different, full of razzle dazzle and BIG musical production numbers, the story centering on Barnum's early life and the acts and exhibits he assembled in his New York City "Museum" before the Civil War.

It's an enjoyable film, but it suffers from the same disease suffered by "Chicago" (the movie): quick cuts, and a swirling, moving, dipping camera that makes you feel like you're watching a very long music video. It's my problem, I guess, since I'm partial to the long camera takes favored by Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire, and those are as dead and gone as silent movies. But it's a shame, really, because Hugh Jackman is a talented singer and dancer and it would be GREAT to see him execute some long, head-to-toe production numbers. (Because H.J. could DO that kind of thing.)

Ah well. I dream.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

theDON2050 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:38 pm This was posted a few years back in this thread but just a reminder to watch "Hell or High Water". Great movie.
I liked Hell or High Water as well.

I just watched Wind River (same writer/director) and I was really impressed.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

The Post . Good movie with Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

strycker001 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:03 pm
madbrain wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:34 pm Shape of water on saturday. First time in a theater in a while. It was a good movie, but not great. Can't understand why it has so many oscar nominations.
Saw this one last night in the theater since it's about to leave. I've always liked the Del Toro's artful, kind of dark films.
Yes, me too.
It's definitely a different take on a monster movie, so to speak. If you've not seem Crimson Peak, that is another of his films you may enjoy. As for the Oscar's they always tend to pick something like this that hardly anyone actually saw or knows about it seems. It definitely fits the artsy film genre they tend to like.
I have seen Crimson Peak. It was just OK. I get that the Academy goes for artsy films. I just don't see why Shape of water deserved so many nominations - a couple of them, yes. But 13 ?

I have now seen 6 of the 9 nominees for best picture. The only ones I haven't seen yet are Darkest Hour, Phantom Thread, and Lady Bird.
So far, Call me by your name is my favorite by a long shot. Don't see anything else coming close. It made me discover BWV 992 also, which I have been learning on the harpsichord lately.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

House of Cards - Season 5 on Netflix.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

Girls Day yesterday -- we watched the entire Fifty Shades trilogy.

I know, I know. You're all jealous....
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Gloomy Sunday. Great movie if you like foreign stuff.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
E5797

Post by E5797 »

_Call Me By Your Name_
Great movie set in 1980's Italy with beautify scenery and old Italian small towns.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Wife and i went to Ladybird for Valentine's Day. I enjoyed, but maybe a better mother / daughter movie (which is what my wife said). Great acting, script.

I couldn't sleep the other night, and watched The Man From Uncle movie, loosely based on the old TV series. Also, mostly in Italy, except in the 60's, with the beautiful scenery. I wonder how the old TV show would hold up?
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

Thx Nicolas regarding the Vincent film. Now it disappeared from the theatres and I'll have to see if it might be available via Amazon .... Still plan to see Darkest Hour.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

I saw Black Panther today which was far superior to most of the other Marvel comic book movies, but still a comic book movie. It was notable though for the female characters who were actually characters and of course nearly every actor of note was black. I've really liked the other movies by the same director and it was cool to see him approach a film like this which is very different than his other work and I thought he did a great job. I'd highly recommend it for anyone who likes Marvel movies and for most people who can tolerate action movies.
wootwoot

Post by wootwoot »

Pain and gain, it's a crazy true life story but makes for a very entertaining movie.
FrankLUSMC

Post by FrankLUSMC »

Just watched "Money Monster" (2016) on HBO, it probably didn't make the big screen. George Clooney and Julia Roberts.
Was a parody of Jim Cramer's "Mad Money". George Clooney is the host of the finance show and Roberts is the producer.
The show gets hi-jacked by a man who lost his inheritance when he bought shares of a corrupt company, the shares went down 90%.
Was entertaining though, not very believable.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Floating city, on Blu-ray.
Good movie about someone growing up in Hong Kong, but not so uplifting with all the poverty.

Roman J Israel, on blu-ray. About a civil rights lawyer's world coming down. Good acting from Denzel Washington and Colin Farrell, but strange and unbelievable story.

Darkest hour, in the theater. Great movie and acting, but Gary Oldman's Churchill accent is hard to understand for a non-native. Would have benefited from closed captions.

120 battements par minute, on blu-ray, in native French . Fabulous movie about Act Up Paris and the AIDS epidemic in the early 1990s, that starts almost comically, but changes to drama. Watched it with my husband who doesn't speak French (no english subtitles on the region 2 disc). Highly recommended.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Victoria & Abdul (2017) Dame Judi Dench, Ali Fazal. A well-made and touching film about Queen Victoria at the end of her reign and the Indian who became her friend. Cinematically beautiful. There are some funny bits too. This is the second go-round for Judi Dench playing Victoria.