What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
wilson08

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by wilson08 »

Mary Queen of Scots

The rivalry between Elizabeth and Mary and their inner circles and
by extension Protestant verses Catholic is the motif of this film set
in the late 16th century. This is a foreboding time in European history
where alliances and loyalty are fickle and fleeting. Treachery, betrayal,
ruthlessness, and sudden death are the order of the day.
A foggy and brooding atmosphere permeates the film to fit the time
and circumstances. Some of the casting makes a mockery of historical
accuracy.
Not a bad movie just a gloomy movie.
Last edited by wilson08 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I am Dragon, on amazon prime. A bride gets snatched by a dragon and is carried away to a remote island. The film is categorized as "Adventure, Fantasy, Romance". IOW, it's a chick flick. (Disclaimer: My husband picked it based on the title. :) )

This is a Russian production - in Russian with English subtitles. It's not the best film I've ever watched, but I was impressed with the quality of the dialog and production. There were special effects, but they weren't over-powering. It's a nice change of pace and kept my interest throughout.

The movie is not rated, but I'd say PG-13.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

"The Children Act" on Netflix.

It was ok.

Ed
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Roma. After 30 minutes we stopped as it didn't seem to be going anywhere and was horribly boring.

I'll add that I think most of the movies that get a lot of hype are because the movies aren't that great and the hype is manufactured since word of mouth won't work. I am repeatedly disappointed by movies that get a lot of hype.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:33 pm Roma. After 30 minutes we stopped as it didn't seem to be going anywhere and was horribly boring.

I'll add that I think most of the movies that get a lot of hype are because the movies aren't that great and the hype is manufactured since word of mouth won't work. I am repeatedly disappointed by movies that get a lot of hype.
I fall on the side that thought the movie was great. Yes the movie has a simple slow-moving plot but it is more about images and feelings and I think it from the perspective of someone experiencing childhood memories. Yes many wont enjoy it but that does not lessen the wonderful experience that us that do have. In an industry where the 3rd remake of a movie starring lady gaga or a biopic about Freddy mercury get all the raves I found Roma a beautiful film. But of course preferences are varied and that's what makes the world spinning.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Castles in the Sky - Amazon
About Sir Robert Watson Watt & team building a radar system on the coast of England in the 1930's. Wonderful.

Hell or High Water - Netflix
Jeff Bridges & Chris Pine. Same author as "Wind River" & "Sicario" - Taylor Sheridan. Superb.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:33 pm Roma. After 30 minutes we stopped as it didn't seem to be going anywhere and was horribly boring.

Agree completely. No chance I'll watch Roma after hearing from a few friends who hated it. I was very entertained by Bird Box, though. I have pretty simple, low brow tastes. The best movie I've seen this year was Green Book. Fantastic. I also liked Bohemian Rhapsody much more than I thought I would.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

KSOC wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:37 pm Castles in the Sky - Amazon
About Sir Robert Watson Watt & team building a radar system on the coast of England in the 1930's. Wonderful.

Hell or High Water - Netflix
Jeff Bridges & Chris Pine. Same author as "Wind River" & "Sicario" - Taylor Sheridan. Superb.
Hell or High Water is one of my favorite movies of the last five years or so. Wind River and Sicario were very good, too. Wasn't a huge fan of Sicario 2.
Case59

Post by Case59 »

The Favourite. DW and I really enjoyed it though it's a bit grimmer than the usual historical drama.
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain
Utahdogowner

Post by Utahdogowner »

We walked into "Shoplifters" thinking it would be lighthearted. It was about as lighthearted as a story of Japanese drifters kidnapping children in order to love them better could be. Which is not very much. But it was a great film.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Homecoming on Amazon Prime Video. It's good. No action at all but a very good story. It stars Julia Roberts.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

Bird Box.

Stopped at the 42 minute mark. Sandra Bullock looked too much like Michael Jackson- it was really freaking me out. Couldn't focus of the movie. Too bad because it seemed pretty good.

Does she really look like that? On purpose?
Funding secured
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

MDfan wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:48 pm

Agree completely. No chance I'll watch Roma after hearing from a few friends who hated it. I was very entertained by Bird Box, though. I have pretty simple, low brow tastes. The best movie I've seen this year was Green Book. Fantastic. I also liked Bohemian Rhapsody much more than I thought I would.
I'm glad it wasn't just us. It was B&W taking place in 1971. We had color tv in 1971. Maybe because it was in Mexico they didn't? I didn't find the cinematography to be beautiful. There was 3 minutes of substantive plot in 30 minutes.
aspirit

Post by aspirit »

Netflix: Mechanism a financial-banking-underworlds economy- 7 part series.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~
RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford »

Old and a 2-hour miniseries, not a "movie", but ... "The Russian German War", on Prime video. Very crude, apparently dubbed from VHS. But every SECOND is contemporaneous footage and it's great. If you're into that sort of thing. Good to be reminded who did the majority of the heavy lifting when it came to destroying Hitler (not to mention Napoleon).
bpp

Post by bpp »

Salyut-7. Russian movie about “the USSR’s version of Apollo 13.” Much more loosely based on real life than The Apollo 13 movie was, so don’t expect a strict history lesson — about half the problems faced by the cosmonauts in the movie apparently didn’t actually happen. Nevertheless, it was a surprisingly good movie. Great atmosphere, and absolutely beautiful cinematography and special effects. Much better than Gravity (nearest obvious comparison for crisis-in-low-earth-orbit depiction) on those scores, and also in terms of acting.

Picked up on a whim at the video rental store, ended up really enjoying it. Would recommend.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Your instinct was correct, I wasted the next 1.75 hours of my life watching the rest and it didn't go anywhere then either.

I'm utterly mystified at the hype and praise for this movie; it is supposedly an autobiographical reverie about the director's early life however told 'from' the POV of a household servant. Unfortunately the POV is 99% mute reaction and the entire movie revolves around a boring autobiographical reverie about the director's early life.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Free State of Jones - Netflix
Matthew McConaughey, Mahershala Ali
Fact based Civil War film. Very Good.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
EPWorrell

Post by EPWorrell »

Watch the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie "Dead Men Tell No Tales."

They should have stopped a few movies ago.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

EPWorrell wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:35 am Watch the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie "Dead Men Tell No Tales."

They should have stopped a few movies ago.
Love the username!
NewPhoneWhoDis

Post by NewPhoneWhoDis »

DanMahowny wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:35 pm Bird Box.

Stopped at the 42 minute mark. Sandra Bullock looked too much like Michael Jackson- it was really freaking me out. Couldn't focus of the movie. Too bad because it seemed pretty good.

You stopped watching a movie that you were enjoying because the lead reminded you of another celebrity?

Ok.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

NewPhoneWhoDis wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:17 pm
DanMahowny wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:35 pm Bird Box.

You stopped watching a movie that you were enjoying because the lead reminded you of another celebrity?

Ok.
I can see how that might be a bit disconcerting. I gave up part way through because the whole things seemed just a bit too silly. I did notice there was something odd about the way Sandra Bullock looked. I couldn't put my finger on it then, but I guess MJ might be it!

(So I guess it's OK with me!)
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

pennywise wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:19 am
Your instinct was correct, I wasted the next 1.75 hours of my life watching the rest and it didn't go anywhere then either.

I'm utterly mystified at the hype and praise for this movie; it is supposedly an autobiographical reverie about the director's early life however told 'from' the POV of a household servant. Unfortunately the POV is 99% mute reaction and the entire movie revolves around a boring autobiographical reverie about the director's early life.
Count me in as another that was wondering why Roma was getting so much hype.
aspirit

Post by aspirit »

NETFLIX :The Resistance Bankers an international film by Lureson

I suspect many interested in finance will like it. A tale of the Dutch, Netherlands, Germanic economic instability in the 40s.

:happy AMAZON: prime : Cancer can be killed: by Jeff Witzeman

:happy Amazon: prime : Neuroscience : Understanding the Brain, W/6 sub-set presentations listed @ .99 ea. free w/prime

Good luck!
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot

American comedy-drama film based upon the memoir of the same name by John Callahan. Gus Van Sant wrote the screen adaptation and directed the film. The cast includes Joaquin Phoenix, Jonah Hill, Rooney Mara, and Jack Black, and follows a recently paralyzed alcoholic who finds a passion for drawing off-color newspaper cartoons.

I enjoyed it. 6 out of 10.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

regarding Bird Box ....I find most sci fi that the main stream likes is pretty bad IMO. This was really hyped and had very little substance.
timshel

Post by timshel »

Birdbox

The original Halloween followed by the latest one

Unbreakable followed by Split in anticipation of watching Glass (despite the reviews)

Seven Samurai (all 3.5 hours)

M (great German Lang film starring a very young Peter Lorre)

Venom

Deadpool 2

Eye of the Needle
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Avengers: Infinity War, on Netflix. Lots of action, but there are too many story lines to follow. After a while, I just gave up and waited for the movie to end. I could skip it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

The Veteran
Do recommend
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We saw "On the Basis of Sex" (Ruth Bader Ginsberg early life/career).

Obviously, we know "how it turned out" thus far, and the movie ends long before she reaches the heights of her career.

But IF we had not known where she was heading, I don't think we would have found the movie as compelling.
We were not particularly impressed with either Felicity Jones or Armie Hammer. Both portrayals were disappointing.

But because of "who she is", it was nevertheless very entertaining/informative to learn a bit more about her early career.
(I'm not sure how accurate the story line was. I know that she approved the movie, but her main concern was that "the law" not be misrepresented. The personalities just didn't seem strong enough or sure enough for what developed. OTOH, perhaps that IS "how she was" back then...?)

The very last scene is one that brings real smiles.
I won't describe further, to avoid somewhat of a spoiler alert (not the "plot", but still... :happy ).

As a women who grew up back then, or almost back then, some of the institutionalized sexism shown in the film, both interpersonal and professional, was a painful reminder of "life back then" (and sometimes not all that long ago...).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Crazy Rich Asians

I wanted to like it but was disappointed. It's too primitive. The Professor of Economics is a dilettante in economics. Rachel Chu has nothing in common with her Singapore girlfriend. And other annoyances.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

VictoriaF wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:30 pm Crazy Rich Asians

I wanted to like it but was disappointed. It's too primitive. The Professor of Economics is a dilettante in economics. Rachel Chu has nothing in common with her Singapore girlfriend. And other annoyances.

Victoria
This is a bigger WTF than "Roma" for me. I've heard people say this is one of the best movies they've seen in several years...IMO, it was unbearably bad. We very rarely don't make it through a film, but we turned it off about halfway through. It was nothing but an endless string of over-the-top cheesy stereotypes; not remotely creative or funny.

It's almost getting to the point where if a movie gets a lot of critical acclaim, I automatically assume I will not like it.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:39 pm

Victoria
This is a bigger WTF than "Roma" for me. I've heard people say this is one of the best movies they've seen in several years...IMO, it was unbearably bad. We very rarely don't make it through a film, but we turned it off about halfway through. It was nothing but an endless string of over-the-top cheesy stereotypes; not remotely creative or funny.

It's almost getting to the point where if a movie gets a lot of critical acclaim, I automatically assume I will not like it.
It's just a matter of different taste. I loved Roma and both my wife and I thought crazy rich Asians was very good. I remember when All AboutMary was out and everybody loved it. I thought it was a dumb, unfunny, cruel film. We walked out halfway through. I read how a critic describes a movie and what they liked or disliked and make my decision to see it based on that. Unless will Farrell is in it then I know not to watch it.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

I watched Free Solo this weekend and it was one of the best things I've ever seen.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Over the weekend

On Netflix...

Bernie - Jack Black - overall enjoyable; kinda weird; not sure I'd recommend unless you're a diehard Jack Black fan.

The Red Violin - Samuel Jackson - an older movie; 1999? - interesting, I'd recommend.

At the theater...

On the Basis of Sex
- Felicity Jones - RBG biopic - recommended. I'd read about the case featured in the movie, so was nice to see how they dramatized.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

"13 Hours" on Hulu related to the Libya situation and the Ambassador. I enjoyed the film.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:25 am
bertilak wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:21 am Stumbled across and watched In Bruges on Netflix. I liked it and am not alone in that: From IMDB: Nominated for 1 Oscar. Another 24 wins & 53 nominations.

For adults. Strong language. Lots of violence.

Two hit men are taking time out in Bruges, Belgium. For a "time out," a lot happens! Whipsaws from humor, violence, pathos. The medieval city of Bruges is put to good use in creating the atmosphere.
In Bruges on Netflix. Thanks for the recommendation. The film is labeled as a mix of a "dark comedy and crime thriller". I liked it.

You may want to check out director Martin McDonagh's other films. Seven Psychopaths (2012), and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017). I recommend the latter.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Masculine Feminine (1966). My favorite Godard film.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/36687550/Pau ... e-Feminine
aspirit

Post by aspirit »

NETFLIX:A Users Guide to cheating death , 12 episodes.
From vitamin and hormonal treatments, to spiritual mindfulness. /shrug/ 80% of offerings are debatable, not scientific fact. A 200B marketplace.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - Shows (series) can be posted here: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aspirit

Post by aspirit »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:58 pm FYI - Shows (series) can be posted here: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]
Thx..:thumbsup :D
beachlover

Post by beachlover »

"Leave No Trace", now on Amazon Prime. Interesting story about a father (recent war vet), his daughter and their relationship as they try to find their respective places outside, within or at the edge of society. A couple of strong performances with some great Pacific Northwest forest scenery in parts.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Monky Business on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) channel.

The movie stars Cary Grant and Giner Rogers in a nice comedy. A scientist tries to develop a youth restoring potion, tries it out himself and his wife then tries as well.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Big Heat, on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) channel.

This noir film stars Glenn Ford and Gloria Grahame. An honest policeman quits the force to pursue the gangsters who killed his wife, in spite of official apathy and political corruption.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I didn't understand the hype either, seemed like the same old tired rom-com formula, very predictable story within the first few minutes.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
telemark

Post by telemark »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:19 pm Monkey Business on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) channel.

The movie stars Cary Grant and Ginger Rogers in a nice comedy. A scientist tries to develop a youth restoring potion, tries it out himself and his wife then tries as well.
+1. I usually think of Ginger Rogers as a dancer, but here she is an excellent physical comedian.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Taken 3. Enjoyed it.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Index24

Post by Index24 »

Bird Box
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

"The Upside"

Quadriplegic (Bryan Cranston) hires ex-con (Kevin Hart) as a life assistant. Comedy, drama, and personal growth ensue.

Actually a pretty good flick, which we enjoyed. Kevin Hart has some pretty good acting chops here, and Cranston is an old pro who seldom gives a bad performance (and doesn't here). Worth seeing, but no idea how it compares to the French film on which it is based.