What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mancich

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by mancich »

market timer wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:00 pm The Vietnam War 18-hour PBS documentary by Ken Burns. Apparently I slept through most of US history class, because much of this material is new to me. Always interesting to learn more about a topic that is so familiar.
+1. Just finished this myself and found it fascinating, and heartbreaking at times as well
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

"Going in Style"

I watched it on the return flight from Europe. Three elderly men have lost their pensions and the bank has provided them with adjustable-rate mortgages that later became unaffordable. And so the men decided to rob a bank.

For the Bogleheads, the financial side of the story has many flaws. Specifically, pension plans are protected by the states and banks hold insurance that makes them indifferent to robberies. But the film was fun to watch.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
telemark

Post by telemark »

joe8d wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:03 pm
telemark wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:45 am For anyone interested, Grave of the Fireflies will be showing in U.S. theaters one time each on Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday. Monday is with subtitles, the others are the English dubbed version. I've never seen this one, but if it's like other Studio Ghibli films it should look much better on a big screen.
It is a great story.
There is a reference to cultural differences upthread, but it seemed pretty universal to me.
aspirit

Post by aspirit »

'Speaking Freely' : The Life of an Economic Hitman by John Perkins included on AMZN prime. Receiving 4.5 stars out of 5. Both the book and movie are well put together, i've read and watched it a few times. Heres a reference point other than amazon. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1245106/
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~
3wood

Post by 3wood »

Ninth Gate. I’ve always liked that movie.
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Two Headed Shark Attack.... Don"t know have Brooke Hogan + Carmen Electra missed out on Academy Awards for their fantastic acting. :shock:
market timer

Post by market timer »

Shoplifters. Japanese film and recent Palme d'Or winner at Cannes Film Festival.
GronkSpike

Post by GronkSpike »

Brawl in Cell Block 99 - available free on Amazon Prime

Simply amazing performance by Vince Vaughn

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/brawl_ ... _block_99/
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

Just watched The Revenant again. Not a huge DiCaprio fan, but the guy is a pretty good actor.
jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness »

Deadpool 2 would watch again
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

bengal22 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:31 pm Just watched "The Rider." Great movie.
The neat thing about the movie is that it stars the guy that the story line is based on. He is a rodeo star that suffers a serious accident just before the movie starts. There is a real scene where he takes a untrainable wild horse that is fantastic.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

bengal22 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:31 pm Just watched "The Rider." Great movie.
The neat thing about the movie is that it stars the guy that the story line is based on. He is a rodeo star that suffers a serious accident just before the movie starts. There is a real scene where he trains a untrainable wild horse that is fantastic.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

wootwoot wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:34 pm Scarface. It's a classic American tale about taking capitalism to extremes
Yes! My favorite movie.

Scarface fans will appreciate this, "Scarface School Play"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uovMpapeCJQ
Funding secured
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

Crazy Rich Asians!
novicemoney

Post by novicemoney »

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society starring Lily James. Ms. James stars as an english writer in 1946. She is researching a group who form a book club during the occupation of the isle of Guernsey by the Germans in WWII. There are a few mysteries and questions that the heroine finds difficult to find answers to. The movie also features Downton Abbey alums, Jessica Brown Findlay, Penelope Wilson and Matthew Goode. The ending is somewhat predictable but the acting, story line and period details make it a very enjoyable journey. Currently streaming on Netlix
telemark

Post by telemark »

I had never heard of Giambattista Basile, but according to Wikipedia he was a 17th century Italian poet who also put together one of the earliest collections of fairy tales, even before the Grimm brothers. Tale of Tales takes some of these and weaves them loosely into a tapestry of blood, lust, monsters, magic fountains, and that hardy perennial of fairy tales, bad royal parenting. Currently on Netflix.
hmw

Post by hmw »

Watched “Crazy rich Asians” this past weekend. Enjoyed it.
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

Chappaquiddick, seen on the plane coming from US to Japan. About Edward Kennedy's car accident that killed Mary Jo Kopechne. It was outstanding, they really nailed the era.
rockonhumblepie

Post by rockonhumblepie »

"All The Presidents Men"

"The Blues Brothers" to honor and listen to Aretha.RIP Queen

Plenty of indoor time avoiding wildfire smoke.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

market timer wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:00 pm The Vietnam War 18-hour PBS documentary by Ken Burns. Apparently I slept through most of US history class, because much of this material is new to me. Always interesting to learn more about a topic that is so familiar.
I must have been sleeping also. Watching the first few I did not know the French went through the same thing we did. We didn't learn from the French?
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

lostdog wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:45 am
I must have been sleeping also. Watching the first few I did not know the French went through the same thing we did. We didn't learn from the French?
I'm watching this series right now. I knew Vietnam had previously been French Indochina, and was familiar with Dien Bien Phu, the battle that broke them and led to the French leaving. I really wasn't aware of how long they had been there until I visited Vietnam last year. We went to Hoa Lo Prison in Hanoi. Most of the prison has been torn down, but they have exhibits about the prison's history going back to French occupation in the 1850s and building of the prison in the later part of that century. This was the same prison known as the Hanoi Hilton during our war there in the 1960s. While there is a section devoted to the imprisonment of American soldiers in the 1960s, by far most of the exhibits detail the brutal treatment of the many political prisoners held there between the 1880s and 1954 by the French.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Who We Are Now

Well crafted and penetrating story of a woman seeking custody of her
son after she has been released from prison. This puts her at odds
with her sister and brother-in-law who are the legal guardians. Her
plight leads her to interact with an idealistic (but inexperienced)
young lawyer who works for a legal organization designed for people
who cannot afford legal services.
Nice performances by all, including Jimmy Smits, who is the director
of the pro bono legal organization. Recommended.
FunnelCakeBob

Post by FunnelCakeBob »

Crazy Rich Asians

There was a wedding scene in the middle of the film that was so unique and left everyone in the theater teary eyed.
MJW

Post by MJW »

We watched Alien and Aliens for our last couple of movie nights. Had not seen either in years and not sure they've held up particularly well.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Movies of the week:

Crazy Rich Asians - actually, the movie was better than the previews My wife is ready to book tickets to Singapore.

The Cakemaker - An interesting love story with a lot of twists.

Shaft - Nothing like a Blacksploitation movie although I thought that the Penitentiary series was a lot better.

Coco - a Disney movie that does a good job of explaining the Dia de Muertos tradition of Mexico. It is one of the more entertaining Disney movies.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Crazy Rich Asians.

This is a good movie, not as good as I had hoped but still worth the price of the tickets. My wife loved it.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
travellight

Post by travellight »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:30 am Crazy Rich Asians.

This is a good movie, not as good as I had hoped but still worth the price of the tickets. My wife loved it.
I think I am the only one who didn't think so highly of this movie. I found it predictable. I would have renamed it Crazy Gorgeous Asians; it's mostly eye candy.
travellight

Post by travellight »

I loved 8th Grade.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

New Spike Lee movie was very good. Made me really sad at the end though.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

'Crazy Rich Asians'. I can see why they're making a sequel.

TravelforFun
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

Watched Bad Day for the Cut (2017) recently on Netflix.

It's a sort of noir revenge flick set in Northern Ireland, with a bit of black comedy. Well done. Has interesting plot twists that make it more than just a typical genre picture. If you liked Blood Simple [early Coen brothers], you'll probably like this.

Subtitles recommended, to catch more of the local dialect.
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

GoldenFinch wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:22 pm New Spike Lee movie was very good. Made me really sad at the end though.
Watched this with a mixed group of older folks who could remember the times involved and early-arriving students, mostly foreign, plus a few Spike Lee devotees, filmmaker majors.

The various groups reacted at different points and for different reasons, no surprise there. I was interested in the true story aspect and will probably look up a docu-version at some time. Will try to find out what the new students thought; I am guessing that they have been taught that the Frontier mentality is a key to the weird behavior of Americans and this will only reinforce that. I am not sure about the characterizations, especially of the KKK people, but the danger the undercover cops were in was clear. The spooks reminded me of a retired fed explaining the necessity of McCarthy and HUAC - there really were communists planted in all levels of government and they were plotting the overthrow . . . If he's still around, the Russian hackers scenario may look kind of familiar. But I didn't get a "been there, done that" feeling from the way the period was represented. Spike Lee would have been a teenager when this happened so not sure how much he really recalls gut-level, but for me it was not quite realistic, didn't get caught up in the period. This from someone who prefers Star Wars and similar universes . . .
telemark

Post by telemark »

Tucker and Dale vs Evil

I thought I would not enjoy this since I'm not familiar with the movies it parodies, but it was just delightful.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Eighth Grade

This film portrays the archetypal awkwardness of a 13 year old
girl navigating through life during the end her 8th grade year. Her
fellow male and female peers fall into the same bumbling throes.
You really feel for the young heroine who maneuvers the thorny,
delicate world of an 8th grader looking for acceptance, combating
self-consciousness, confronting cliques, and trying to find her niche
in this transitional phase of her life.
Elsie Fisher, who plays the young girl(Kayla), is authentic and believable
in her world saturated by the ever-present internet, cell phones, social
media,and a myriad of technological gadgetry.
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Just seen White Boy Rick. Really surprised, it was a very good movie. Man, did he get shafted. Got pardoned last year after 30 years.
MJW

Post by MJW »

telemark wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:10 pm Tucker and Dale vs Evil

I thought I would not enjoy this since I'm not familiar with the movies it parodies, but it was just delightful.
My wife and I were pleasantly surprised by it as well. We still recite a line or two from it once in a while.

"HEY! WE GOT YOUR FRIEND!!"
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

U.F.O.

Tough to find, but cerebrally engaging.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6290798/?ref_=nv_sr_1
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas »

[Deleted]
Last edited by hdas on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

Operation Finale w/ Ben Kingsley. Based on the Israelis' tracking and capture of Nazi Adolph Eichmann and his return to Israel for war crimes trial. Excellent.
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
grok87

Post by grok87 »

the movie alpha.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/alpha_2018/

it was excellent. stunning cinematography and a gripping plot. it has subtitles though for those that care about that.

see it on the big screen if you can.
RIP Mr. Bogle.
sedonashine

Post by sedonashine »

Searching for Augusta: The Forgotten Angel of Bastogne Amazon Prime A real life WW2 story about how courage and kindness shine through the mess we humans make with and for one another.
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

Jurasic (? sp) World.
Saw it last night. My wife is a real nut for dinosaurs and has seen all of these movies. This one was really good in our opinion.
It is what it is, and you have to let go of reality and just enjoy it.
Dan999
aspirit

Post by aspirit »

New movie release w/John Travolta as "Gotti".
"Bad Lieutenant" w/Nicklas Cage, seems a remake of Harvey Keitels original.
Reviewing HBOs "Deadwood" series. Seems well put together.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~
donecc

Post by donecc »

Saw Michael Moore's 11/9, just released in theaters; a powerful, well produced documentary on the state of our nation and its direction. Must see for all Americans.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

STRIPES
CFLonFarm

Post by CFLonFarm »

Mission Impossible witn Tom Cruise. My 12 year old grandson and I both enjoyed it...which I did not expect as the younger TOm Cruise was never a favorite of mine.
market timer

Post by market timer »

Just started the multi-part documentary The Defiant Ones, about the collaboration between Dr. Dre and James Iovine. Highly recommended.
khh

Post by khh »

The Nutty Professor (1963).

The bold colors are striking, especially the beginning scene. Howie Morris and Kathleen Freeman are hilarious. You can also see a young Greg Morris in the class at the beginning.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

tesuzuki2002 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:41 pm STRIPES
That's a fun movie :) .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

ruralavalon wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:38 am
tesuzuki2002 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:41 pm STRIPES
That's a fun movie :) .
It came out the year I was born..... HOW I have not seen it until now... I don't know!