What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jginseattle

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by jginseattle »

Dune.

I saw it on the big screen.

Spectacular.
Angst

Post by Angst »

Elsebet wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:35 pm
Tubes wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:16 pm Just got done watching Dune on HBOMax. It is a movie clearly made for the big screen. I still enjoyed it on my TV but man it must be glorious on the big screen.
Yes, we saw it yesterday in the theater and am glad we did, it's definitely better on a big screen. Really enjoyed it and can't wait for part 2.
+1
It was wonderful in a large theater, and I thought it did an admirable job of bringing out so much of what I loved in the book.
However, I wish I'd had some loose earplugs to buffer the high-decibel sound fx!
impatientInv

Post by impatientInv »

Angst wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:08 am
Elsebet wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:35 pm
Tubes wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:16 pm Just got done watching Dune on HBOMax. It is a movie clearly made for the big screen. I still enjoyed it on my TV but man it must be glorious on the big screen.
Yes, we saw it yesterday in the theater and am glad we did, it's definitely better on a big screen. Really enjoyed it and can't wait for part 2.
+1
It was wonderful in a large theater, and I thought it did an admirable job of bringing out so much of what I loved in the book.
However, I wish I'd had some loose earplugs to buffer the high-decibel sound fx!
I read the book over the weekend. Plan to watch it at home theater soon.
No individual stocks.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

"Tell No One" (2006) (French, English subtitles).
A crime drama based on the book by Harlan Coben. It received good reviews on IMDb and by Roger Ebert, but I didn't care for it that much. The book was a lot better.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

"Sahara"- a 1995 made for TV movie on Amazon Prime. A remake of a 1943 Humphrey Bogart movie starring Jim Buluchi about the fall of Tobruk , during the Allied retreat in the Libyan desert, an American tank picks-up a motley group of survivors but they face advancing Germans and a lack of water.

I'm a sucker for war movies, so I enjoyed it and would catagorize it as a "Bro movie".

A couple of observations- This movie role for JB actually helped catapualt his acting career and the following year he was cast in the title role of "According to Jim" which was a commercial success. This movie was filmed only 25 years ago and yet could not be released today without "trigger warnings" about smoking and stereotyping ethnicities in both casting and script- "Frenchie" from France, Giuseppe from Italy, a British soldier from the Sudan that actually has the N word directed toward him by a captured blue eyed very Arryan looking German pilot! It is amazing (to me anyway) what could be put out by Hollywood such a short time is now "verboten"... I didn't find it the least bit offensive and possibly a realistic portrayal for the time period its set in.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“The Talented Mr. Ripley”

Enjoyed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Talen ... ley_(film)
💪
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Cell”. Interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_(film)
💪
Tony
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“Exposed” on Tubi.

Enjoyed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposed_(2016_film)

💪
Tony
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

"The Name of the Rose (1986)". Based on the book by Umberto Eco.

The year is 1327, and Franciscan friar Sean Connery and his novice Christian Slater investigate a series of mysterious deaths at a Benedictine abbey in remote northern Italy. The dense, richly detailed book by Umberto Eco has been considerably pared down and some of the best parts removed, but the adaptation is a decent effort. Non-readers may not follow every detail, but there is good immersion into 14th C. life.

Sean Connery was excellent as a Sherlock Holmes-type character, and a very young Christian Slater was fun to watch in his wide-eyed innocence. The actors playing the creepy monks and unwashed peasants were also good. Roger Ebert complained about some of the dark (low-light) scenes in the film, but that can't be helped in a Middle Age abbey.

Note that the first half of the film is somewhat slow, with action picking up in the second half.
telemark

Post by telemark »

In honor of the season, Young Frankenstein on DVD. I thought Inga had a line about graduating from Heidelberg community college, but it's not in this version. I must have seen that somewhere else, or perhaps only imagined it.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“The Postman” with Kevin Costner on Tubi. It was ok.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Postman_(film)

Best.
Tony
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Hocus Pocus, on Amazon Prime.

This is an enjoyable Halloween movie starring Bette Midler, Kathy Najimi, and Sarah Jessica Parker as goofy witches in Salem Massachusetts.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Edward Scissorhands on DVD, PG-13, 1990, directed by Tim Burton with Johnny Depp, Winona Ryder, Alan Arkin. A drama / fantasy / romance of a man with scissors for hands who tries to fit in. I liked it.

One of the main characters has a remarkable resemblance to Peg Bundy from the TV series Married with Children.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

telemark wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:43 pm In honor of the season, Young Frankenstein on DVD. I thought Inga had a line about graduating from Heidelberg community college, but it's not in this version. I must have seen that somewhere else, or perhaps only imagined it.
Here's a favorite image of mine...
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Post by 400401402 »

"Free Guy"
Fun movie.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I'm currently watching The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Every now and then I try to watch something a little more "high brow" than my usual viewing.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Not recently, but I highly recommend The Pawnbroker. Nice reminder of what urban life was like in the early 60s. It’s about war PTSD and social conditions.
ASpenderInRecovery

Post by ASpenderInRecovery »

Watched Ex Machina last night and it didn’t disappoint. If you like technology or have interest in AI it’s a great movie.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

The King of Masks (1999), a Chinese-language film.

Available here on Kanopy, a streaming service available through some libraries:
https://www.kanopy.com/product/king-masks

We saw this in the theater when it first came out and were amazed then. So I was thrilled to find it here and made time to rewatch. The film portrays a slice of cultural life seldom seen. Highly, highly recommended.

(Be careful not be spoiled in advance of watching.)
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Psycho on Turner Classic Movies just now. Works just as well today as it did 60 years ago.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Asphalt Jungle (1950) — Sterling Hayden, Louis Calhern, Jean Hagen, James Whitmore, Sam Jaffe, Marilyn Monroe, directed by John Huston

A major heist goes off as planned, but then double crosses, bad luck and solid police work cause everything to unravel.

A film noir caper film from which all others draw their inspiration. It has an unforgettable ending, at least I didn’t forget it from my first viewing years ago. What I learned from this film is, crime does not pay!

An early film of Marilyn Monroe’s where she plays only a small part. Her career took off shortly thereafter. Also Strother Martin’s first screen role (uncredited). He appears in a police lineup!

Very enjoyable, my second viewing, recommended. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel but it’s gone at the end of this month (tonight). But you can likely find a copy at your local public library.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Old (2021) by M. Knight Shyamalan.
Free, DVD borrowed from public library.
From the man who gave us Sixth Sense :beer, this shows how horribly he has fallen :annoyed
Contrived performances, absurd plot holes and none of the wonderful surprises one expects from his early work.
matti

Post by matti »

I went to the theater to see Halloween Kills over the weekend and it was horrible. I'm a horror movie nut and love all things Halloween, but this installment was even worse than the installment that came out in 2018. I understand another one is coming out in 2022 and I'm sure I'll be at the theater to see it, once again.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Cowboys & Aliens streamed from Amazon... the audience in the room said they were not picky and they wanted something different so... the group consensus review was that it could have been worse :) There was a lot of star power on screen for such a poorly made movie.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

The Equalizer (2014) and The Equalizer 2 (2018)
Both from public library, free DVD rentals.
About a man with a certain set of skills who becomes an avenger for the oppressed.
Fuqua directs Denzel like he did in Training Day and the results are very satisfying. :sharebeer
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018). Kids and wife enjoyed it. I fell asleep. Pictures were taken of dad. Good times.
Light weight baby!
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Max Headroom 20 minutes Into The Future is still on topic. Copies of varying quality are on youtube.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

Another rewatch: The Red Violin (1999). Originally seen in the theater when it was first released. Found it here on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/ ... romLogin=1&

The film is a historical-fiction drama, with a mystery in its center. It was an art-house film in 1999 and certainly the type of film that is not being made these days. Samuel Jackson features in the movie as an "musical instrument evaluator."

Roger Ebert loved it: https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-red-violin-1999

If inclined to watch, know less before watching.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

"Beckett" (2021) - Tourist running for his life after stumbling onto something sinister. It's basically a (mostly foot) chase from Delphi to Athens with lots of deep canyons and Mediterranean scrub in between. Many helpful Greek natives along the way add to the color.

But the film requires an enormous suspension of disbelief and you have to endure a paricularly cringeworthy start. I would consider it a mediocre movie but would recommend it for people who love Delphi and other Greek locations and who approach the movie with low expectations. Also, the main character was sympathetic and likeable, which helped.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

The Great Train Robbery

It was a "short" on TCM, about 10 minutes long. Edison Manufacturing Co., 1903.

The plot is boring, I think even for 1903. However, the technology in it includes compositing (showing a film within a film to produce a special effect) and limited use of color (hand-tinted, but including a scene where a little girl is wearing a red dress in the otherwise black and white film, which distracts the viewer perhaps even more if they have seen "Schindler's List" in the modern era). Ubiquitous color, stereo sound, the green screen, and CGI seem to be the only real advancements in cinematography in the past 120 years (which perhaps is not too bad).

Also:

How To Watch Football

A Robert Benchley comedy short from the 1930s on TCM. A man dreams that a couple goes to view a football game in person. He wakes up and is very happy to be at home, listening to the game on the radio (TV had not been invented yet). Nothing has changed about that experience in 80 years! (With the possible exception of attending in a suite.)
smectym

Post by smectym »

No doubt recommended above: “White Heat,” starring Jimmy Cagney
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Arrival on Amazon Prime in 4K UHD ($3.99), PG-13, 2016, directed by Denis Villeneuve, Forest Whitaker. A linguist translates an alien language after 12 ships land on Earth. A sci-fi drama that makes you think instead of looking at special effects. This movie won an Oscar and was nominated for a bunch of awards. I liked it.

Don't confuse this with The Arrival (1996) starring Charlie Sheen.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:57 am Edward Scissorhands on DVD, PG-13, 1990, directed by Tim Burton with Johnny Depp, Winona Ryder, Alan Arkin. A drama / fantasy / romance of a man with scissors for hands who tries to fit in. I liked it.

One of the main characters has a remarkable resemblance to Peg Bundy from the TV series Married with Children.
+100
My favorite Burton flick and a great movie.
Don’t forget the incomparable Vincent Price.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

"The Garden of the Finzi-Continis" (1970, Italian with English subtitles, directed by Vittorio De Sica). "The story of the Finzi-Continis, a noble family of Ferrara, during the Jewish persecution in Italy's 1930s."

I had expected a somewhat dark film about Mussolini's Italy. Instead, it is a visually beautiful film with soft-focus/hazy sunshine (at least in the beginning) that features beautiful young people on bicycles and playing tennis in the gardens of the vast Finzi-Continis estate. The Finzi-Continis seem content to let their privledged status insulate themselves from the anti-semitic laws being enacted. Or, at least they're trying to adapt while keeping their dignity.

The Finzi-Continis's beautiful, vivacious and icy daughter (Dominique Sanda) is childhood friends with a boy from a middle class Jewish family where similar down-playing of Mussolini's fascism is going on. This obviously cannot last for long but it seems to be either a warning tale against accepting creeping fascism or an object lesson in how humans behave in the face of bad things.

IMDb shows another version of this movie in development. I will be curious to see that one as well.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:32 am Arrival on Amazon Prime in 4K UHD ($3.99), PG-13, 2016, directed by Denis Villeneuve, Forest Whitaker. A linguist translates an alien language after 12 ships land on Earth. A sci-fi drama that makes you think instead of looking at special effects. This movie won an Oscar and was nominated for a bunch of awards. I liked it.

Don't confuse this with The Arrival (1996) starring Charlie Sheen.
After reading Ladygeek's post this morning, I decided to watch today. It was well worth my time. Thanks.

I watched on Paramount+. Comes with the subscription if you have it.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:49 pm "The Garden of the Finzi-Continis" (1970, Italian with English subtitles, directed by Vittorio De Sica). "The story of the Finzi-Continis, a noble family of Ferrara, during the Jewish persecution in Italy's 1930s."

I had expected a somewhat dark film about Mussolini's Italy. Instead, it is a visually beautiful film with soft-focus/hazy sunshine (at least in the beginning) that features beautiful young people on bicycles and playing tennis in the gardens of the vast Finzi-Continis estate. The Finzi-Continis seem content to let their privledged status insulate themselves from the anti-semitic laws being enacted. Or, at least they're trying to adapt while keeping their dignity.

The Finzi-Continis's beautiful, vivacious and icy daughter (Dominique Sanda) is childhood friends with a boy from a middle class Jewish family where similar down-playing of Mussolini's fascism is going on. This obviously cannot last for long but it seems to be either a warning tale against accepting creeping fascism or an object lesson in how humans behave in the face of bad things.

IMDb shows another version of this movie in development. I will be curious to see that one as well.
Thanks. Sounds interesting. I found it on Kanopy (local library streaming service) so have added it to the Q.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

"Footloose" (1984) with Kevin Bacon, John Lithgow "A city teenager moves to a small town where rock music and dancing have been banned, and his rebellious spirit shakes up the populace."
A fun 80's time capsule. By today's standards, the dance moves look pretty lame, but Bacon's character is also a gymnast so that helps. Lithgow is the fiery preacher who also has depth.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“Red Notice” on Netflix with The Rock and Ryan Reynolds. Was like a James Bond type movie. Enjoyed it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Notice_(film)

Best.
Tony
Blues

Post by Blues »

"Land" directed by and starring Robin Wright.

A slow moving movie that I liked more than I suspected I would based upon reviews. I'm a sucker for anything about WY even if it wasn't filmed there.
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

"Red Notice" on Netflix. Entertaining, anodyne, and fun for the whole family.

But if you want something completely different, and if you enjoyed "Plan Nine From Outer Space", I strongly recommend "Samurai Cop".
Filmed in 1991 in Los Angeles, it has bad direction, terrible acting, gratuitous simulated sex with surprisingly beautiful women, a ridiculous plot line, minimal production value, and oh, so much more.
This film has achieved cult status and is available on Tubi; free with commercials. I was compelled to watch the sequel "Samurai Cop 2: Deadly Vengeance" filmed 24 years after the original. Equally bad, but with a higher budget.
Bring your own popcorn.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

City Island, $3.99 rental on Amazon Prime, PG-13, 2009. Andy Garcia, Julianna Margulies, Steven Strait. Alan Arkin also makes an appearance. A comedy drama where a prison guard takes a prisoner home to his family. The plot builds over time and is fun to watch. This film won several awards. I liked it.

I could have seen this for free, but didn't want to deal with a 7-day trial.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

"L.A. Confidential" (1997) - Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce. "As corruption grows in 1950s Los Angeles, three policemen - one strait-laced, one brutal, and one sleazy - investigate a series of murders with their own brand of justice."

Engaging throughout, great visuals, great cast. The film is described as neo-noir, whatever that means, but it works. The glitzy outside view of Hollywood vs the dark underbelly of crime, corruption and violence. And there is a mystery -- a crime to be solved. Simon Baker of "The Mentalist' had a brief role, which gave me a laugh since he looked exactly the same though more baby-faced. Of the main trio, I enjoyed the "strait-laced" cop the most since he was such an unusual character for a film. He was both rigid in his adherance to rules and morality, but also a political animal.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:37 pm I could have seen this for free, but didn't want to deal with a 7-day trial.
Wut? Are you still a BH?
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry. It was Saturday night. I don't know what came over me and I felt like splurging. Re: [What UN-frugal thing do you do? What do you splurge on?]
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Daughter splurged on a a $2 Disney trial so we have watched a couple of the older Winnie the Pooh movies this week. Fun and nostalgic. I think a follow up watching of Paddington Bear is in the works.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Stillwater (2021)
DVD free from public library.
Story of an Oklahoma man in France to help his incarcerated daughter.
Matt Damon is very good, though it drags in parts.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

"No Time to Die" the new James Bond movie on Amazon streaming. Great entertainment. No more comments so as not to spoil the adventure.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
jibantik

Post by jibantik »

Dune... breathtaking. MOTY (movie of the year).
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:41 pm "L.A. Confidential" (1997) - Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce. "As corruption grows in 1950s Los Angeles, three policemen - one strait-laced, one brutal, and one sleazy - investigate a series of murders with their own brand of justice."

Engaging throughout, great visuals, great cast. The film is described as neo-noir, whatever that means, but it works. The glitzy outside view of Hollywood vs the dark underbelly of crime, corruption and violence. And there is a mystery -- a crime to be solved. Simon Baker of "The Mentalist' had a brief role, which gave me a laugh since he looked exactly the same though more baby-faced. Of the main trio, I enjoyed the "strait-laced" cop the most since he was such an unusual character for a film. He was both rigid in his adherance to rules and morality, but also a political animal.
One of my favorites.