What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ScoobyDoo

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ScoobyDoo »

bengal22 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:40 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:28 pm
bengal22 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:01 pm
New Providence wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:37 am
heartwood wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:34 am Tenet, last night on HBO. Not recommended. It was difficult to follow and uninteresting to me.
I'm very much looking forward to watching TENET tonight.
Not as good ad Inception but a very good and ambitious movie. I had to immediately watch it twice to try to decipher it. There are some you. Tube bits that explain the myriad of timelines.
Watched Tenet Sunday night. Enjoyed it, maybe because expectations were low & I focused hard since I heard of the confusing nature of the movie.

Wasn’t better than inception but probably due to execution. As Inception’s premise was a more simple and easier to follow idea than ‘inverted time’.

Overall, I like the ambition of the story but it was not executed well enough to be blockbuster material. And the writing left the actors with not a lot to work with. Major props for the attempt though. Enhancing on the sci-fi / time travel / James Bond genre is a hard nut to crack! I’m here for all serious attempts, though!
https://youtu.be/x6Kbphnil7s

one explanation of the time lines.
:shock: :? :annoyed I wasn’t ready! :shock:
ScoobyDoo!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Dawson City: Frozen Time (2016)

This is a documentary about the discovery of hundreds of “lost” films from the silent era buried in the permafrost (actually frozen in a landfill) in Dawson City, Yukon Territory, Canada, from just after the gold rush.

It’s worth watching. There’s also a good bit of the history of Dawson City and the gold rush. We streamed it on The Criterion Channel.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue May 04, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

joe8d wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:38 pm "News of the World". Tom Hanks latest. I thought it was a very good movie. It was a unique story, kept you very involved, and was well casted. Definitely recommended.
Due to some idiot completely severing our cable line doing yard work (that idiot being me) we were without internet - and desperate for entertainment, ran to RedBox and picked this movie up. Really enjoyed it - very engrossing, good performances.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Green Zone” on Netflix. Really enjoyed it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Zone_(film)

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Sad Cypress, on YouTube.

Elinor Carlisle seems to be the obvious murderer of her ailing aunt and the beautiful romantic rival who broke up her engagement, but Poirot (David Suchet uncovers darker motives. Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Inheritance— on Hulu/Cinemax (and I think Netflix via DVD}. We had no idea what the movie was about when we played it, and it kept or attention all the way to the surprise ending. Don’t research the movie or see the trailer, just watch it and let it unfold.
Mishigami

Post by Mishigami »

Nicolas wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:40 pm Dawson City: Frozen Time (2016)

This is a documentary about the discovery of hundreds of “lost” films from the silent era buried in the permafrost (actually frozen in a landfill) in Dawson City, Yukon Territory, Canada, from just after the gold rush.

It’s worth watching. There’s also a good bit of the history of Dawson City and the gold rush. We streamed it on The Criterion Channel.
Fascinating film. Some of the imagery is quite stunning, and the background history was fascinating. Nicolas, you may be interested in the following short film which is part of the TCM Film Festival (same director--3:15 am EDT on Saturday, though):

let me come in
2021 11m

World broadcast premiere presentation of Bill Morrison’s experimental short featuring decayed film reels from the lost, German silent film Pawns of Passion (1928). Co-presented by The Los Angeles Opera with composer David Lang and soprano Angel Blue.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

The Truffle Hunters

Excellent documentary about truffle hunters, traders, and the truffle market.
Sharing equal billing with the individualistic and unique truffle hunters are
their dogs, who help them in this elusive search and are more like friends and
companions than pets.
Beautiful, rustic woodlands and archaic houses add to the charm of this documentary.
Viewed at a theatre.
Recommended
atwood

Post by atwood »

KSOC wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:04 am
patgrennan wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:12 pm unhinged;
Russell Crowe; road rage theory...
Russell has gotten quite large in this show; watching it gave great anxiety.....husband gave up left the room.
Very intense. Crowe was awesomely terrifying!
All the acting was good, but since you knew how it was going to end from basically the beginning, it just became a matter of how many people Crowe was going to kill/mess up before he got his.

And yes, he has gotten as big a house. The next Marlon Brando?
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Mishigami wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:33 am

Fascinating film. Some of the imagery is quite stunning, and the background history was fascinating. Nicolas, you may be interested in the following short film which is part of the TCM Film Festival (same director--3:15 am EDT on Saturday, though):

let me come in
2021 11m

World broadcast premiere presentation of Bill Morrison’s experimental short featuring decayed film reels from the lost, German silent film Pawns of Passion (1928). Co-presented by The Los Angeles Opera with composer David Lang and soprano Angel Blue.
Thanks for the tip but I don’t subscribe to cable TV so I can’t watch the TCM Film Festival, but I would like to see this short sometime.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:11 pm
bengal22 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:40 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:28 pm
bengal22 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:01 pm
New Providence wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:37 am

I'm very much looking forward to watching TENET tonight.
Not as good ad Inception but a very good and ambitious movie. I had to immediately watch it twice to try to decipher it. There are some you. Tube bits that explain the myriad of timelines.
Watched Tenet Sunday night. Enjoyed it, maybe because expectations were low & I focused hard since I heard of the confusing nature of the movie.

Wasn’t better than inception but probably due to execution. As Inception’s premise was a more simple and easier to follow idea than ‘inverted time’.

Overall, I like the ambition of the story but it was not executed well enough to be blockbuster material. And the writing left the actors with not a lot to work with. Major props for the attempt though. Enhancing on the sci-fi / time travel / James Bond genre is a hard nut to crack! I’m here for all serious attempts, though!
https://youtu.be/x6Kbphnil7s

one explanation of the time lines.
:shock: :? :annoyed I wasn’t ready! :shock:
I watched Tenet last night. Excellent discussion above, and thanks for the explanatory link! I picked up on most of the timelines but not all of the implications. Definitely a mind-expanding experience. Fun!
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Wrath of Man. Guy Ritchie's new crime thriller starring Jason Statham. It's expertly crafted, but the story it tells is bleak, ugly, and devoid of humor.

In theaters now.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Unknown” on Netflix. Enjoyed it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unknown_(2011_film)

Tony
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“End Game” on Amazon. Really good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_Game_(2006_film)

Tony
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Hollow, on YouTube.

Early in the morning Poirot (David Suchet) arrives at a country home to find a murder scene. An unfaithful husband lies dead of a gunshot by the swimming pool, his sweet wife stands near him holding a revolver.

The dead husband's current mistress (best friend of the wife) is also present, and the prior evening he had hooked up with a former lover in a nearby cottage.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Hamilton on Disney +
Absolutely wonderful (my first time watching!)
Can’t fathom the experience of the lucky ones to see the original cast live on Broadway.
:beer
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“The Last Blockbuster” on Netflix. Loved it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Blockbuster

Tony
Exchme

Post by Exchme »

I'm lowbrow and enjoy a lot of Adam Sandler movies. Just sat with DW and watched Click on Amazon Prime. Nice mix of sad, funny and sweet.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Palmer, on Apple TV+. Jason Timberlake stars as an ex-con trying to do the right thing. Good movie that held our attention.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

news of the world. would recommend. watch on a big screen tv if you can.
RIP Mr. Bogle.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Nicolas wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:04 pm
Thanks for the tip but I don’t subscribe to cable TV so I can’t watch the TCM Film Festival, but I would like to see this short sometime.
The Festival is on HBO Max also. We watched Love Story (1970) last night. Ali McGraw is being honored. She and Ryan O'Neal are now in their 80s. :shock: Tommy Lee Jones appears in his first role, looking very much like he does now. :happy
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“Without Remorse” on Amazon.

Loved it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Without_Remorse

Tony
Last edited by abuss368 on Sun May 09, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Odds Against Tomorrow (1959) Harry Belafonte, Robert Ryan, Gloria Grahame, Shelley Winters, Ed Begley. Directed by Robert Wise.

Dave Burke (Ed Begley) hires two very different debt-burdened men for a bank robbery. Suspicion and prejudice threaten to end their partnership.

Gritty film noir with a background of racial prejudice, and quite good! I’ve come to appreciate Robert Ryan’s acting skill. Includes a young Cicely Tyson in a bit part in her second film appearance. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun May 09, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

CardinalRule wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:33 pm
The Festival is on HBO Max also. We watched Love Story (1970) last night. Ali McGraw is being honored. She and Ryan O'Neal are now in their 80s. :shock: Tommy Lee Jones appears in his first role, looking very much like he does now. :happy
Thanks but I do not subscribe to HBO Max either. I saw Love Story (1970) back then, not since, and I don’t remember much about it.
30west

Post by 30west »

The Mule. Watch it if you are retired and short on cash.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

The undefeated - starring John Wayne.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

The Gods Must Be Crazy

A pleasant man travels to the edge of the world to rid it of an evil thing. This was the second time I watched this movie the whole way through. The first time - about 35 years ago - I thought it was boring and slow in the middle. I see now that I was incorrect. Lots of smiles and guffaws throughout.

Mild spoiler: I particularly liked the gunfight in the banana plantation. One - exactly one - person slips on a banana peel.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Nicolas wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:29 pm
Thanks but I do not subscribe to HBO Max either. I saw Love Story (1970) back then, not since, and I don’t remember much about it.
You may remember this classic line from the movie:

"Love means never having to say you're sorry."

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Nomadland and Fargo. I enjoyed them but not as much as other reviewers. But then again I’m on old dude that still watches MST3K movies and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

jginseattle wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:44 am Wrath of Man. Guy Ritchie's new crime thriller starring Jason Statham. It's expertly crafted, but the story it tells is bleak, ugly, and devoid of humor.

In theaters now.
OOC, what was your theater going experience like? I love going to the movies but have been hesitant to do so with the case numbers in Seattle (King Cty) still being so high. Trying to figure out when the right time would be and I love Statham movies so I hate I cant (errr wont) go. :sharebeer
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Freefun wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:14 pm Nomadland and Fargo. I enjoyed them but not as much as other reviewers. But then again I’m on old dude that still watches MST3K movies and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
FWIW, Zhao's previous movie "The Rider" is very, very good. It's effectively a docu-drama because all the people play themselves (similar to Nomadland) and all of the horse related stunts and accident footage are of the real cowboy. Its still that same slow style but I really like her husbands cinematography and there's plenty of that in this movie as well.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:13 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:29 pm
You may remember this classic line from the movie:

"Love means never having to say you're sorry."

RM
Yes I do remember that quote though I disagree with it. It hasn’t been true in my life. I also remember there was an untimely death. Also that everyone in the film was quite good looking, this much I remember.
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon May 10, 2021 8:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“Capone” on Amazon. Life for Al Capone in Florida after jail. Not bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capone_(2020_film)

Tony
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“The Contract” on Amazon. It was alright.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Contract_(2006_film)

Tony
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“Dead Man Down” on Netflix. Was ok.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Man_Down

Tony
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Nicolas wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:24 pm Also that everyone in the film was quite good looking, this much I remember.
I think you might have remembered the crux of the flick.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

jjunk wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:14 pm
jginseattle wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:44 am Wrath of Man. Guy Ritchie's new crime thriller starring Jason Statham. It's expertly crafted, but the story it tells is bleak, ugly, and devoid of humor.

In theaters now.
OOC, what was your theater going experience like? I love going to the movies but have been hesitant to do so with the case numbers in Seattle (King Cty) still being so high. Trying to figure out when the right time would be and I love Statham movies so I hate I cant (errr wont) go. :sharebeer
I always check the crowd size before buying tickets. One weekend it was too crowded so I returned on a quiet weekday. At the showings I've attended there have been very few customers. It makes one wonder about the sustainability of the movie house business model. I've only gone three times in over a year.

A lot of these new movies seem to be available for home viewing.

I like Statham, too.
Last edited by jginseattle on Tue May 11, 2021 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Here Today. Billy Crystal's new movie. Much of it is funny and the leading actors are appealing, but I found it to be annoyingly formulaic.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

The Visit, 1964, st Ingrid Bergman and Anthony Quinn. Recommend.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Without Remorse (Amazon Prime?) was solid. Time went by fairly quickly.

Won't you be my neighbor? (HBO) When I added this to my HBO list I assumed it was the Tom Hanks movie but instead it was a documentary (90+ minutes) on Mr. Rogers and thought it was very well done. While I knew who he was, I don't recall ever watching it as a kid. Didn't realize some of the more sensitive topics he covered on the show. I'll have to catch the Hanks' movie next.

Hancock (HBO). This is from around 2012. I wasn't expecting much and it ended up being entertaining. Not sure if my low expectations aided my opinion of it but my GF and I were both pleasantly surprised.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

tooluser wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:45 pm The Gods Must Be Crazy

A pleasant man travels to the edge of the world to rid it of an evil thing. This was the second time I watched this movie the whole way through. The first time - about 35 years ago - I thought it was boring and slow in the middle. I see now that I was incorrect. Lots of smiles and guffaws throughout.

Mild spoiler: I particularly liked the gunfight in the banana plantation. One - exactly one - person slips on a banana peel.
We watch this a few times a year, love it so much.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

In theaters now.
Did u like it? recommend it? Sounds like something I would like! 😳

Even though I’m maxinated (got both covid vaccines over two weeks ago), Im still irrationally anxious about going inside theatres! ::shrug::
ScoobyDoo!
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Mishigami wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:33 am

let me come in
2021 11m

I had set up to record "let me come in" on TCM before you posted, and now have watched it. I mostly liked it. They first showed a short documentary with the background of the film, which was recovered from the Dawson find, and now I need to seek out that one. As you say, a fascinating backstory, and there's definitely a desirable artistic effect to the decayed old films that were unearthed.

What I did not like was the soundtrack that was put to the short film itself. The vocals reminded me of Cantata: Iphigenia In Brooklyn, by P.D.Q. Bach. (It's on Youtube if you search there. If you do listen, stick it out to the end.) Kind of ruined it for me. :P
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:50 pm

In theaters now.
Did u like it? recommend it? Sounds like something I would like! 😳

Even though I’m maxinated (got both covid vaccines over two weeks ago), Im still irrationally anxious about going inside theatres! ::shrug::
I didn't care for it. It's very well made and gripping at times, but it's all very predictable and unoriginal. And there is none of the quirky humor the director is noted for.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Went looking for some Nordic Noir yesterday and found the quirky "Borning 3- Burning Asphalt" on a Netflix search.
I am going to recommend it to a tightly defined subgroup- Those who like NN and those who like muscle cars and street racing. I myself don't usually like street racing movies and have never seen anything but the original Fast and Furious ot Tokyo Drift for that matter. My decision to watch was also influenced by having visited a number of the places where the movie takes place- Oslo, Colonge, Nurburgring- so it had a personal appeal to me on that level.
At times absurd and even ridiculous, I found myself liking the good guys, disliking the bad guys even though they played fun/ funny rolls. Im not saying Norwegians aren't known for being seriously funny, but I was suprized at how the plotline is tight and funny... the racing scenes are pretty well edited. My wife would say it's very sophmoric, in a Ricky Bobby way, but I found it an enjoyable watch. YMMV.

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi169328921? ... t_pr_ov_vi
telemark

Post by telemark »

Your Highness, on Netflix (2011)

A disappointment. This could have been good silly entertainment but it wasn't. It has a promising beginning, a predictable ending, and a bunch of randomish filler in between. The talented cast does its best but the material keeps dragging them down. I recommend watching through the end of the opening credits, then imagining the better movie that could have followed.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

White Sun of the Desert

A Soviet Union (USSR) production from 1970, available on Youtube. Set in the time of the Red/White Russian civil war, It's very much in the style of a Clint Eastwood "spaghetti western". I had read that cosmonauts launching from Russia/former USSR states to this day still watch this film before every flight, perhaps in homage to its theme of honoring Lady Luck/The Queen of Fortune. It was filmed in Turkmenistan, which several years ago put a satellite into orbit (shared with Monaco).

Just like the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, it has sparse and dusty imagery, gunfights, and heroic character action. It is slow to start, but it builds very smartly, has some comedic moments, and is very watchable and entertaining. If you understand spoken Russian, and/or don't mind subtitles, I highly recommend this movie.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Finding Dory on Disney +
Don't know how I missed this when it came out.
Nice, but not close to the original Finding Nemo.
The support characters are fun (sea-lions, whales but most of all the septopus!)
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Lord Edgeware Dies, on YouTube

A beautiful actress with a tyrannical husband charms Poirot (David Sushet) into helping her to get a divorce, she would be a prime suspect after her husband is murdered, except that she has an ironclad alibi.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:57 am Lord Edgeware Dies, on YouTube

A beautiful actress with a tyrannical husband charms Poirot (David Sushet) into helping her to get a divorce, she would be a prime suspect after her husband is murdered, except that she has an ironclad alibi.
You are really loading up on Dame Agatha!

When you have exhausted (Sir David) Suchet's Poirot, take a look at Miss Marple.

I always avoided the Miss Marple stories but have since come to appreciate the early ones with Joan Hickson. I think I was put off by the more recent ones staring other actresses. This is not intended to disparage those actresses. I just think the stories are better told in the older series. Marple is less prominent and the stories quite interesting even before Miss Marple comes on the scene (well into the story) and even then she has a low key presence. From what I have seen so far (dramatization of two of the six novels -- three episodes each) her primary role seems to be twofold: 1) occasionally prodd the detective's thinking in the right direction, and 2) sum it all up at the end.

Next look for Agatha Christie stories about "Tommy and Tuppence", either the standalone movies or the series "Partners in Crime."

Then there are the dramatizations of other Christie stories. She was VERY prolific and just about everything has been dramatized, often multiple times. I think many of the new versions are disappointing. The producers try to make them relevant to today's climate. This masks their charm, period atmosphere, and heart as mystery/detective stories, with the haze of virtue signaling.
Last edited by bertilak on Sat May 15, 2021 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet