What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ruralavalon

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon »

dru808 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:24 pm The worst movie I’ve seen in a long while. Borat 2
We tried Borat 1 :( a few days ago. We quit after a few minutes.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
JamalJones

Post by JamalJones »

"The Vast of the Night" on Amazon Prime. Low budget sci-fi movie that's simply incredible. Great cinematography, sharp dialog, superbly acted and really intense. Only about 90 minutes, so a quick watch. I highly recommend!
TSP + Vanguard Roth IRA + Vanguard Taxable: 80% equities / 20% bonds | "I don't shine shoes, I don’t tape ankles, I don't cut checks - straight cash homie!!" --R. Moss
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Another Life

Story of Edith Thompson, a British woman who was hanged,
along with Franklin Bywaters, for the murder of Thompson's
husband. The movie starts off surprisingly light and comedic
considering the subject, but actually turned out to be a good
film with a dramatic and sobering ending.
Some questions remain, then and now, as to whether her
involvement warranted execution. Time setting: 1914-1923.
Recommended
Viewed on Amazon Prime
dru808

Post by dru808 »

JamalJones wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:42 pm .
"The Vast of the Night" on Amazon Prime. Low budget sci-fi movie that's simply incredible. Great cinematography, sharp dialog, superbly acted and really intense. Only about 90 minutes, so a quick watch. I highly recommend!
Was that the radio station, ufo one?
Sptm 65 | Vigi 20 | Blv 10 | Btc/Eth 5
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

madbrain wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:17 pm Borat Subsequent Movie film on Amazon Prime. Highly recommend it.
Loved the 2nd one as much as the first one.
6bquick

Post by 6bquick »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:51 am The Great Outdoors, at a drive-in movie.

This is a comedy with John Candy and Dan Ackroyd. A family vacation in the northwoods, becomes a disaster when the obnoxious brother-in-law and his family show up uninvited.
Great movie. hilarious hijinks, imo.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Trial of the Chicago Seven on Netflix. I was about 14 when the events occurred at the Democratic convention in Chicago and remember most of the main characters in the trial. Well done all around.
JamalJones

Post by JamalJones »

dru808 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:00 pm
Yes indeed it was! Great film!
TSP + Vanguard Roth IRA + Vanguard Taxable: 80% equities / 20% bonds | "I don't shine shoes, I don’t tape ankles, I don't cut checks - straight cash homie!!" --R. Moss
Eowyn

Post by Eowyn »

On DVD

Paddle to the Sea: A short (28-min) 1966 B&W Canadian film made for children, about a hand-carved toy canoe that journeys from a lake in Ontario to the Atlantic Ocean off Newfoundland. I saw it as a child and watched it for nostalgia and relaxation. It did the trick.

Uncut Gems: Well made, good acting, but so hard to watch.

Tyler Perry's Boo A Madea Halloween: Wanted something light with the Halloween theme. The jokes got old. It would have been great as a comedy sketch, too long for a feature-length film.

Marshall: Courtroom drama featuring Chadwick Boseman as a young Thurgood Marshall. Quite good, well acted.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Love Punch, on Amazon Prime.

This movie stars Pierce Brosnan and Emma Thompson, in a combination caper movie and romantic comedy.

A French hedge fund manager has taken over an English company, bankrupted the company, and drained the pension fund. A middle-aged divorced couple unites to steal the pension money back, while crashing the hedge fund manager's wedding on the French Riviera.

We enjoyed this movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
batpot

Post by batpot »

JamalJones wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:48 am
dru808 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:00 pm
Yes indeed it was! Great film!
nice, will check it out.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

madbrain wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:17 pm Borat Subsequent Movie film on Amazon Prime. Highly recommend it.
We just watched this last night and compared to how great the first one was, I was very, very disappointed in the sequel. My husband fell asleep halfway through and he was super excited to watch it before it started.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Miracle of the White Stallions on YouYube

"Miracle of the White Stallions is a 1963 film released by Walt Disney starring Robert Taylor (playing Alois Podhajsky), Lilli Palmer, and Eddie Albert. It is the story of the evacuation of the Lipizzaner horses from the Spanish Riding School in Vienna during World War II. Major parts of the movie were shot at the Hermesvilla palace in the Lainzer Tiergarten of Vienna, a former hunting area for the Habsburg nobility. The music for the soundtrack was based on the first movement of Franz Schubert's Marche Militaire no 1, D733."

"In World War II Austria, Col. Alois Podhajsky sets out to protect his beloved Lipizzaner stallions - purebred white show horses with centuries of tradition - from starving refugees and the advancing Soviet Army, which might also view them as a food source. Hoping to surrender them into safekeeping, he seeks out U.S. General George S. Patton, a noted horse fancier."

(summaries from Wikipedia)

DW #1 and I saw this movie in 1963 when we were still in college. A good Disney movie back in the days when you could take your children to Disney movies.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Knives Out, in Amazon Prime.

This mystery movie has an ensemble cast, including Daniel Craig, Jamie Lee Curtis, Don Johnson, Toni Collette, and Christopher Plummer. The rich author of a successful series of mystery novels dies, and his very dysfunctional family scrambles to fix blame for his death and gain the inheritance. I recommend this movie.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

The Queens Gambit on Netflix. Actually a seven part movie. 😁 I really enjoyed it.
RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford »

Eowyn wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:50 pm Uncut Gems: Well made, good acting, but so hard to watch.
OMG, yes. Just a bunch of very unappealing people shouting at each other the whole time.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

RustyShackleford wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:36 pm
Eowyn wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:50 pm Uncut Gems: Well made, good acting, but so hard to watch.
OMG, yes. Just a bunch of very unappealing people shouting at each other the whole time.
I couldn’t watch much. Made my skin crawl.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

Secrets of the Saqqara Tomb on Netflix. Wonderful, low-key documentary about the findings of the archeological team investigating the tomb of the Old Kingdom priest Wahtye and his family.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

"Swallow", which was this year's highest grossing film for one week in April, though it earned less than $3000 that week (due to the pandemic shutdowns).

It's a rather gross psychological thriller, but in a mostly thoughtful way. Your tolerance for disgust and discomfort has to be high to keep watching, so I can't recommend it. All of the main, and most of the secondary characters are unlikable, though they all exhibit some redeeming qualities. The story makes sense, eventually. It's entertaining afterwards to think the plot through from the viewpoint of the individuals, their families, and society at large.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:22 am Watched "Knives Out" with the wife last night. She liked it, I thought it was silly, unrealistic, and contrived (which was likely the point). It was OK, but not my cup of tea.
Knives Out was a really good, fun movie.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

cs412a wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:09 pm Secrets of the Saqqara Tomb on Netflix. Wonderful, low-key documentary about the findings of the archeological team investigating the tomb of the Old Kingdom priest Wahtye and his family.
+1. But you have to pay attention to read what people are saying.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“The Bounty” on Hulu. I enjoyed it.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Searching for Bobby Fischer.
TubiTV free.
Wonderful story about real-life chess master as a child prodigy.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

District 9 on Blu-ray DVD, Rated R, 2009, directed by Peter Jackson. An alien race is forced to live in a slum outside Johannesburg. Social unrest, moral, and ethical issues combine in a sci-fi suspense action-thriller. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Ghostbusters, at a drive-in movie on Halloween :) .
Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Last night it just seemed appropriate to re-watch The Hunt for Red October and then The Untouchables. RIP Sir Sean Connery.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

ruralavalon wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:53 pm The Love Punch, on Amazon Prime.

This movie stars Pierce Brosnan and Emma Thompson, in a combination caper movie and romantic comedy.

A French hedge fund manager has taken over an English company, bankrupted the company, and drained the pension fund. A middle-aged divorced couple unites to steal the pension money back, while crashing the hedge fund manager's wedding on the French Riviera.

We enjoyed this movie.
+1... A fun little movie DW and I enjoyed and bonus points for taking place in an area of the world we also love.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Since it's election season, watched and enjoyed "Ides of March" on Prime. All star cast and a pretty good portrayal of what I suspect goes on behind the scenes in an election.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

DW wanted to watch "The Notebook" again for the umpteenth time......Geeze....never a dry moment!
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Vast of Night

Really enjoyed this movie. Does not cover new ground plot-wise, but nevertheless offers an engrossing fresh look, with some engaging characters. Just a well crafted movie.
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

tooluser wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:16 pm "Swallow", which was this year's highest grossing film for one week in April, though it earned less than $3000 that week (due to the pandemic shutdowns).

It's a rather gross psychological thriller, but in a mostly thoughtful way. Your tolerance for disgust and discomfort has to be high to keep watching, so I can't recommend it. All of the main, and most of the secondary characters are unlikable, though they all exhibit some redeeming qualities. The story makes sense, eventually. It's entertaining afterwards to think the plot through from the viewpoint of the individuals, their families, and society at large.
Your review got me intrigued, so I just watched the trailer. I think I'm going to have to check this out...definitely looks different!
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

yolli71 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:41 am
tooluser wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:16 pm "Swallow", which was this year's highest grossing film for one week in April, though it earned less than $3000 that week (due to the pandemic shutdowns).

Your review got me intrigued, so I just watched the trailer. I think I'm going to have to check this out...definitely looks different!
I just watched the trailer. I agree it definitely looks different. I think I had enough with the couple of minute trailer.

edit: guess I'm part of the word of mouth advertising. And no publicity is bad.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

"The Social Dilemma" on Netflix. I had already stopped using social media for the most part in 2018 and this movie makes me glad I did.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Elsebet wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:24 pm "The Social Dilemma" on Netflix. I had already stopped using social media for the most part in 2018 and this movie makes me glad I did.
Amen, sister. I will add it to my watch list.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Watching “Mission Impossible III” on Hulu.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Elsebet wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:06 pm
We just watched this last night and compared to how great the first one was, I was very, very disappointed in the sequel. My husband fell asleep halfway through and he was super excited to watch it before it started.
I saw this over the weekend on Amazon Prime too.
Mixed feelings: some funny, some gross. Agree not as good as first one.
I'm still amazed how many people don't realize it's Cohen!
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Longmire on DVD.

I didn't see the last three seasons after A&E cancelled it, so I just bought myself the complete series.

Just finished season 4. Season 5 is next.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

On the Rocks on Apple+
Bill Murray, Rashida Jones

I thought it was just OK. Some entertaining scenes with Bill Murray.
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

Watched The Beast on Amazon Prime. I watched it years ago, but noticed it on Prime and watched it again yesterday. It is basically a lost Russian tank roaming around southern Afghanistan doing typical Russian in Afghanistan things while trying to get back to Kandahar. It is purely for entertainment and not based on any real situation. Has some good, albeit idealistic, examples of the Pashtunwalli Code in it.
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

ruralavalon wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:26 pm Mystery Road, on Amazon Prime.

The movie is set in outback Queensland, Australia. An indigenous police detective investigates the murder of a teenage indigenous girl.

The plot is is complex, the movie is slow moving but spellbinding. I recommend this movie.
Agree, do recommend
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

A Call To Spy

Excerpt from Rogerebert.com https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/a-ca ... eview-2020

"historical drama detailing the experiences of the "lady spies" recruited into England's Special Operations Executive (SOE) during WWII."

Do recommend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKQ2QofoMt4
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

The movie is set in outback Queensland, Australia. An indigenous police detective investigates the murder of a teenage indigenous girl.

The plot is is complex, the movie is slow moving but spellbinding. I recommend this movie.
I had two problems with it:
  1. I guess it was too slow moving for me.
  2. There were two young girls and I had trouble keeping them separate in my mind. Three, if you count the girl who was killed.
So, I lost interest.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

gamboolman wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:41 am

Agree, do recommend
Did Amazon drop the last episode? It seems to end on a cliffhanger.
Blues

Post by Blues »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:11 am

Agree, do recommend
There is a movie and a series based on the movie...both with the same actor as protagonist, and the same title. We've watched the series but not the movie as yet. That may be confusing you.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Blues wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:33 am

Agree, do recommend
There is a movie and a series based on the movie...both with the same actor as protagonist, and the same title. We've watched the series but not the movie as yet. That may be confusing you.
Ah,, thanks. How many episodes were there on Season 2 of the series? Season 1 had a conclusion. Near as I can tell, Season 2 is missing an episode, unless it's just not released yet.
Rotsevni

Post by Rotsevni »

Madagascar 3 while on magic mushrooms.

Gotta admit is was hilarious :D
Blues

Post by Blues »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:43 am

Agree, do recommend
Ah,, thanks. How many episodes were there on Season 2 of the series? Season 1 had a conclusion. Near as I can tell, Season 2 is missing an episode, unless it's just not released yet.
We've only seen the first season of the series, when we had a subscription to Acorn through Prime. Haven't revisited (or been aware of) a second season, to be honest...but will watch it if available on Prime.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Blues wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:00 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:43 am
Agree, do recommend
We've only seen the first season of the series, when we had a subscription to Acorn through Prime. Haven't revisited (or been aware of) a second season, to be honest...but will watch it if available on Prime.
Yes, it’s available via Acorn and Prime. Beware though, that only 5 episodes are listed (for me, anyway) and that there are supposed to be 6. And, for what it’s worth, Aaron Pederson hasn’t taken the marbles out of his mouth, and subtitles might once again be necessary 😁
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Amazon review gave me the news for Mystery Road:
The first 2 episodes were the premiere for Season 2 released on Mon. 10/12..after that, a single episode will be released each Monday through November 9th. This is how Acorn presents many of their series, releasing one a week for the duration of the season
So, on Monday they will release the final episode.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Thanks @TomatoTomahto 8-)