What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
friar1610

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by friar1610 »

"Driveways" starring Brian Dennehy in what I believe was his last role before hid death. Tender-hearted story about a crusty old Korean War vet befriending a young boy. We saw it on our library-provided Hoopla access. Think it's also a paid option on Amazon.
Friar1610
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Den of Thieves” on Netflix. Really good!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The arrival, on Blu-ray DVD, 1996. Charlie Sheen is the main character. Not to be confused with Arrival (2016).

An astronomer discovers aliens living on earth. The aliens don't want to be discovered and a sci-fi action thriller ensues. Don't let the many scientific inaccuracies get in the way of advancing the plot. It's entertaining and has lots of action.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Finally watched Knives Out, now free with Amazon Prime. I enjoyed it.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Spinning Man” on Hulu. It was ok.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I'm never sure about Will Farrell movies, but thought "Eurovision" was pretty funny.

Aging Icelandic rocker Farrell with partner Rachel McAdams luck into being Iceland's entry to the Eurovision song contest (it's a real thing!). Pierce Brosnan, Demi Lavoto, and Dan Stevens in supporting roles, with Stevens doing a standout job.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

A Dog’s Life (Silent, 1918) — Directed by and starring Charles Chaplin

The Little Tramp and his dog companion struggle to survive in the inner city.

Some pretty funny stuff. What can I say, the man was a genius. Charlie’s half-brother Syd and Syd’s wife Minnie have small roles. This was Chaplin’s first film for First National Films, for which he signed a contract for $1,000,000 for eight pictures and had full creative control for the first time. In 1918 that was a huge sum of money. ($20 million in 2020 dollars).

When watching a film this old, 102 years, it’s like a window into another world.

Recommended.

I streamed it on the Criterion Channel.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Murder By Death, on Amazon Prime.

A mystery/comedy mocks detective novels and novelists for outlandish plots. A mysterious millionaire invites famous detectives (Charlie Chan, Sam Spade, Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, Nick and Nora Charles) to his country home to challenge them to solve a murder which hasn't happened yet.

This is a very good movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream »

Charade (1963) with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, Walter Matthau, and a few actors from the Dirty Dozen.
A decent movie, mix between Alfred Hitchcock and a romantic comedy. Some action, guns, hand-to-hand fighting.
And a surprise ending, eventhough I thought I figured it out [incorrectly] a few times in the middle of the movie.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

Short Term 12 on Amazon Prime. A story about twenty-somethings supervising in a home for at-risk teens. 98%/92% on RT. Highly recommend.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Nights in Rodanthe on Netflix

I dont like Richard Gere movies but for some reason I watched this one. Very good. Well directed & well acted. Different.
Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire »

I,Tonya and Dogman on Hulu. Dogman is an Italian movie with subtitles. Enjoyed and would recommend them both.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5580036/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6768578/
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Parasite - DVD Rental

Not really sure what to think of this one. I can see where people may think it's overrated, while others think so highly of it. It almost defies categorization or description. The movie has so many layers, keeping you guessing, then shocking you with twists, flipping from social satire to dark comedy to horror to thriller then back again. At the very least, I found it quite the ride!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Woman in Green, on Amazon Prime.

This is a Sherlock Holmes mystery starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. Several women in London are murdered, and a finger cut off, as part of a sinister plot. I recommend this movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

sixtyforty wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:41 am Short Term 12 on Amazon Prime. A story about twenty-somethings supervising in a home for at-risk teens. 98%/92% on RT. Highly recommend.
Yup, and 2 Oscar winners to boot. Loved it.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

The Moonstone

1996 film based on the classic novel of the same name by
Wilkie Collins. This novel was an early 19th century harbinger
of the detective/who-done-it genre. Excellent cast, particularly
Peter Vaughan as butler Gabriel Betteredge.
Recommended
Viewed on DVD
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Swordfish, on DVD (not Blu-Ray), rated R, starring John Travolta, Halle Berry, and Hugh Jackman.

Made in 2001, the main plot involves hacking a computer network. I found it somewhat nostalgic watching the state of computer security from the late 1990s. There's a ton of action and it was very entertaining. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“The Family” on Netflix with Robert DeNiro and Michelle Pfeiffer. Mob film that is a comedy. Enjoyed it.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)

I've seen it before but bumped into it again while looking through one of the streaming services (might have been YouTube).

This is a movie everyone should try to free up some time to watch. You might have guessed it is a comedy but you may NOT have guessed that it is actually a good comedy. Comments to get you to watch:
  1. John Vernon has a part that's perfect for him and he makes the most of it.
  2. The Klowns are perfect! Sometimes clowns are scarier than they are funny. This movie makes the most of that -- from both sides.
  3. It was nominated for two awards: best costumes and best music. They were "Saturn awards" from the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films.
  4. If you like 1980s styles, you will enjoy this.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
batpot

Post by batpot »

Watched Yojimbo and Fist Full of Dollars back to back.

As you may or may not know, Fist Full of Dollars came out a few years later, and was HUGELY influenced by Sanjuro, even losing a lawsuit brought by Kurosawa's production company.

On their own, I give the edge to Yojimbo, but taken in context of the full history of both actors and directors, gotta give it to Fist Full of Dollars.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

bertilak wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:24 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:31 am Once upon a time in the West, another Sergio Leon movie, not a Clint Eastwood movie.
A classic, of course. If there were such a thing as a required movie-viewing list, this would be on it. After all these years, two things jump to the top of my memories of it:
  1. The opening sequence. I won't try to describe it; others have done better than I could, but one should note it does not depend on star power, (no Clint Eastwood), slam-bang action (far from it!), nor even Ennio Morricone's music (but the rest of the film benefits greatly from it).
  2. Henry Fonda can be a really nasty Bag Guy. Supposedly, this was his favorite roll.
But highlighting those unfairly ignores the entire rest of the movie which is, overall, a masterpiece of film-making skill.
I just found this streaming free here last Saturday: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2c770m

I recommend it to a friend he asked where to find it streaming.

I could not resists it yet again...
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:51 pm Hamilton - now, I'm no musical/Broadway fan in general. And I was skeptical due to all the hype surrounding this play. But Hamilton just blew me away. I was enthralled: the cleverness of the lyrics, the variety of the music, just the sheer experience of it all. I am still shaking my head - how could one man write all this, how could people possibly remember all these lyrics, songs, and dance moves given the fast pace? I envy those who have seen it live - although I admit, although the movie probably lacks the energy and spectacle of a live production; the movie version may be more accessible in that it helped to have the close-captions due to the rapid-fire nature of the lyrics.
I didn’t enjoy Hamilton much. I appreciated the production but did not like the music. I thoroughly enjoyed crazy King George tho.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

DrGoogle2017 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:31 am Once upon a time in the West, another Sergio Leon movie, not a Clint Eastwood movie.
A classic, of course. If there were such a thing as a required movie-viewing list, this would be on it. After all these years, two things jump to the top of my memories of it:
  1. The opening sequence. I won't try to describe it; others have done better than I could, but one should note it does not depend on star power, (no Clint Eastwood), slam-bang action (far from it!), nor even Ennio Morricone's music (but the rest of the film benefits greatly from it).
  2. Henry Fonda can be a really nasty Bag Guy. Supposedly, this was his favorite roll.
But highlighting those unfairly ignores the entire rest of the movie which is, overall, a masterpiece of film-making skill.
I guess it is OK to say the the opening sequence has none Ennio Morricone's music. "Sequeuence" is a bit of an ambiguous term. But thje opening scene has about a minute of soundtrack music toward the end which must be Ennio Morricone's music. See and hear for yourself:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2c770m
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

I guess it is OK to say the the opening sequence has none Ennio Morricone's music. "Sequeuence" is a bit of an ambiguous term. But thje opening scene has about a minute of soundtrack music toward the end which must be Ennio Morricone's music. See and hear for yourself:

bertilak

Post by bertilak »

tadamsmar wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:11 pm

You mean after Charles Bronson gets off the train and starts playing the harmonica? That's about 11 or 12 minutes in but I guess it could be considered part of the opening sequence because nobody's been killed yet!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

bertilak wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:26 pm
tadamsmar wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:11 pm

You mean after Charles Bronson gets off the train and starts playing the harmonica? That's about 11 or 12 minutes in but I guess it could be considered part of the opening sequence because nobody's been killed yet!
I don't mean the harmonica, there is soundtrack music that turns a bit somber precisely when the number of horses required is disputed.

It will only take you a few hours to review the scene (because you won't be able resist watching this masterpiece again).
Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Death at a Funeral.
Netflix.

Pretty entertaining & at times I laughed out loud.
There is a version that was released in 2007 & then this one in 2010 with Chris Rock, Danny Glover, Martin Lawrence, Kevin Hart, Tracy Morgan and many other supporting cast.

Movie is absurd, irrelevant, goofy at times and what I liked best was it's different.

I intend to find the 2007 version.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Jim Beaux wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:45 pm Death at a Funeral.
Netflix.

There is a version that was released in 2007 & then this one in 2010 with Chris Rock, Danny Glover, Martin Lawrence, Kevin Hart, Tracy Morgan and many other supporting cast.

Movie is absurd, irrelevant, goofy at times and what I liked best was it's different.

I saw the 2007 version at a movie theater.
Highly recommended.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

GERMANY 1938 on You Tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFn0FNNGrB8

From the comments section for the film....

"In 1938 Theodore Andrica, the Nationalities Editor of the Cleveland Press and author of the "Around the World in Cleveland" column, paid a visit to Nazi Germany. As part of his journey he shot this astonishing film which shows what appears to be the pastoral German state, but was actually a nation on the brink of war. Unlike many of the films from this era which have been colorized, Andrica actually shot this motion picture on Kodachrome stock. Although the material is silent the footage is astonishing, and includes no less personage than Adolph Hitler in its closing sequence. Rarely seen, this material was once thought to be lost. This print was recently rediscovered and preserved in HD."

I wanted to see what Germany was like before I was born. I began watching out of historical curiosity, but then I started to wonder how much of what I was seeing was destroyed in the war. Which people on the film might have been killed, especially children? Which ones might have been Jewish and ended up in concentration camps?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

The Terminal Man (1974). Not really very good, more of a cinematographic art piece than a thriller (too predictable).

Reading the summaries of the film and the novel on Wikipedia, in the film they left out a lot of information from the novel necessary to understand what is really going on and who the doctors are. Strangely, the studio had dismissed the writer of the novel (Michael Crichton) for straying too far from his book in his screenplay.

Also, I noticed that most of the scenes were nearly black & white in a color movie. It turns out that the director wanted to shoot it in black & white but the studio wanted it in color, so he sort of got his way in the end.

It's also notable that moderating electronic brain implants are sort of commonplace these days.
goflyers13

Post by goflyers13 »

wilson08 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:54 pm
Jim Beaux wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:45 pm Death at a Funeral.
Netflix.

I saw the 2007 version at a movie theater.
Highly recommended.
I'll second this. 2007 version is hysterically funny. One of the funniest movies I've ever seen.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

brokendirtdart wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:25 pm I have to figure out the Apple TV App. I had to watch it on my iPad vs casting to my TV
Is that with a cable? I need to do it wirelessly for a variety of reasons. I couldn't figure out how to do it wirelessly from an Iphone to a samsung TV. Ended up viewing it on a chromebook and chromecasting to the tv. I noticed there is no Appletv app on either of our Samsung tv's nor is available as an android app. Thanks Apple; at least the stock (AAPL) performs.
fastrock

Post by fastrock »

GreyHound - awesome movie, great CGI
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Se7en, on DVD. Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt star in this 1995 movie. It's a dark psycho-thriller that got a bunch of awards. You knew how the plot would go, but not the ending. It dragged on in spots, but I kept watching. Not bad.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:48 pm Se7en, on DVD. Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt star in this 1995 movie. It's a dark psycho-thriller that got a bunch of awards. You knew how the plot would go, but not the ending. It dragged on in spots, but I kept watching. Not bad.
We saw it in the theater 25 years ago. At the time, it was pretty groundbreaking in terms of its darkness. Probably hard to gauge given what has happened in movies over the 25 years since. Great cast, really dark and yes slow moving plot, and a "holy (insert preferred explitive here)" ending that left you walking out in a minor degree of shock.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

Enola Holmes trailer, Sep 23 on Netflix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d0Zf9sXlHk
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

XXX, on DVD. Vin Diesel goes under cover. Lots of action, not that much of a plot.
stomie

Post by stomie »

Tread on Netflix
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

HoosierJim wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:31 pm
brokendirtdart wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:25 pm I have to figure out the Apple TV App. I had to watch it on my iPad vs casting to my TV
Is that with a cable? I need to do it wirelessly for a variety of reasons. I couldn't figure out how to do it wirelessly from an Iphone to a samsung TV. Ended up viewing it on a chromebook and chromecasting to the tv. I noticed there is no Appletv app on either of our Samsung tv's nor is available as an android app. Thanks Apple; at least the stock (AAPL) performs.

No, the iphone/ipad, or at least my Vizio TV has an option to wirelessly "cast" the display to the TV. Vizio doesn't have the AppleTV app either

*I still haven't figured out how to turn off the narration. I have been in the middle of moving, but I might try hooking up my laptop to my TV in some wireless or wired way.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Watched The Salesman from Iran on Prime. The title was a tribute to the play Death of a Salesman which our lead actor was playing the role of Willy Loman set in current day. I always find it fascinating to watch how other people's culture and religion affect the storyline, and exploring the relationship between men and women in a man's world. The ending was well written, worthy of 2 hours.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Gone in 60 Seconds, on DVD. Made in 2000, an action / thriller car movie starring Nicholas Cage. Lots of action, not much thrill unless you like cars. There's an impressive chase scene that is reminiscent of the scene in Bullitt (Steve McQueen).
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

The Peanut Butter Falcon, rented on DVD from public library
A heart-warming, wonderful movie about a young adult with Down Syndrome and his journey to find his wrestling hero.
SethJane42

Post by SethJane42 »

I'm on a road trip and watched Scent Of Woman and Kate and Leopold on Showtime. All I could think about AL Pacino is that there are two of him. There is the younger one with higher and almost nasal voice, capable of explosive powerful rage at given moments. Then there is the Scent Of A women, Godfather 3 Pacino with the low, gruffer voice. I like them both.

As for Kate and Leopold, it was fun and I believe it to be the wonderful Meg Ryan's last hurrah as she started to get older and began messing with that naturally beautiful face she had with the cosmetic surgery, and soon wouldn''t look like her anymore--makes me sad they are almost forced to do it to keep making a living. Heck, it made me sad when Burt Reynolds and Mickey Rourke did it. I no longer feel a connection with them for some reason.

I also noticed a very young Viola Davis in the role of a cop trying to make Leopold pick up the dog poo. One of my favorite things about rewatching an old movie after 20+years is seeing young versions of actors in bit roles that went on to great success.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Just watched "He Was A Quiet Man", a 2020 remake on Amazon Prime Video. Surprisingly entertaining mix of romance and suspense. Still trying to understand the ending.
Stef

Post by Stef »

Tenet

Thanks Nolan, no I feel very stupid again lol. After watching the movie I got 5% of it, after watching a couple of Youtube videos I now get 20% of it. What a masterpiece.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Pitch Black, on DVD, made in 2000. Sci-fi action / horror starring Vin Diesel. You won't fall asleep watching this one. I liked it.

It's the introduction to Riddick and the Chronicles of Riddick, which I have on DVD and will watch next.
L82GAME

Post by L82GAME »

tenkuky wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:41 pm The Peanut Butter Falcon, rented on DVD from public library
A heart-warming, wonderful movie about a young adult with Down Syndrome and his journey to find his wrestling hero.
+1
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Lao Tzu
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Ventured out to a theater to see "Unhinged". There were only a few people in the theater and masks were required. Reviews weren't too good but I enjoyed it. Thought Russell Crowe was great.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Princess Bride, at a makeshift drive-in movie in a shopping center parking lot. Wonderful entertainment with social distancing.

This 1987 movie stars Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, and Mandy Patinkin, and features many notable actors and comedians. The movie is excellent, timeless, funny, with many memorable lines. We will probably watch it again sometime.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

"The Lincoln Lawyer" on Amazon Prime. Wife and myself enjoyed.