What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MDfan

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by MDfan »

abuss368 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:28 pm “Good Will Hunting” on Hulu.
One of my all-time favorites. I'd put it on my list with The Princess Bride, The Hangover, Bull Durham, Almost Famous, and a few others as movies I'll stop and watch every time they're on.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Jim Beaux wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:21 pm The Love Birds on Netflix

https://www.netflix.com/watch/81248748? ... 2%2C%2C%2C

Not quite the same ole cookie cutter movie. The actors came across as real & likeable. If you like romantic comedies this is a must see. I really liked it.
Of the Kumail Nanjiani movies, I'd rank it 3rd behind the Big Sick (awesome movie) which is a clear #1, and Stuber (dumb movie but very funny at times).
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

"Eyes on an Angel" on Hulu. Early 90's John Travolta film. Was ok.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

"Love, Wedding, Repeat" on Netflix is an ok romcom if you are looking for a little humor after watching all the depressing news. If you like Rome, as we do, the scenery is worth watching it for. Had a few good laughs and interesting characters.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

Elsebet wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:20 pm Uncut gems. As someone who has lead a somewhat financially boring life this movie was a little stressful to watch. I kept thinking "Oh no! What are you doing!?" so many times. Really enjoyed it, it's pretty rare for a movie to give me that kind of emotional jolt.

This one is on Netflix. I had low expectations, Adam Sandler is on it after all. Greatly surprised about it, much better than expected. I recommend
it too.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

ruralavalon wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:13 pm The In Laws, on Netflix.

This movie stars Michael Douglas and Albert Brooks, and involves the comedic adventures of the father of the bride and father of the groom on the eve of the wedding. I recommend this.
I liked this movie but liked the first one much more - starring peter Falk and Alan Arkin. Peter Falk was hysterical.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

wilson08 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:31 pm
Off the Menu

Foodie movie where an heir to a Mexican fast food empire (in which he
has little interest) is sent to New Mexico to search out authentic and
popular recipes to help bolster the company which is lagging in sales.
Boy meets girl, the inevitable misunderstanding, reconciliation, and a
happy, smiley, ending. Though I am having some fun with this, the film
was actually pretty good. Foodies will enjoy. Viewed on Amazon Prime.
I have to say, I enjoyed the movie review from the Santa Fe Reporter more than the film itself.

Review here: https://www.sfreporter.com/movies/2018/ ... nu-review/
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Valentine's Day, on Netflix.

This is a nice romantic comedy starring Ashton Kuscher Jennifer Garner, and many others, about the romantic adventures of several couples young and old on a single day.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

ruralavalon wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:25 pm Valentine's Day, on Netflix.

This is a nice romantic comedy starring Ashton Kuscher Jennifer Garner, and many others, about the romantic adventures of several couples young and old on a single day.
+1

I resent movies that have a 'token' character to sublimely advocate 'progressive' agendas, and I generally turn them off. But I really enjoyed this one a lot.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Jim Beaux wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:23 pm

+1

I resent movies that have a 'token' character to sublimely advocate 'progressive' agendas, and I generally turn them off. But I really enjoyed this one a lot.
Interestingly, I remember my wife and two of her girlfriends walked out of the theater when they went to see this film. I have no point of reference myself.
Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

stoptothink wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:41 pm
Jim Beaux wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:23 pm

+1

Interestingly, I remember my wife and two of her girlfriends walked out of the theater when they went to see this film. I have no point of reference myself.
Im being careful without giving too much away, but I had developed a lot of interest before the movie needlessly took a left turn.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Uncut Gems was a pretty decent movie.

Watched Back to the Future after that. Lighter fare.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Stormy Weather on TCM

Cab Calloway, Lena Horne, Bill Robinson, Nicholas Brothers<<<<<<their finale dance number!

It's on TCM on demand, highly recommended.
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

"Never Look Away" on Starz, A 189 minute German film with subtitles. What to like? An epic film offering more than you can imagine.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Random Musings wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:33 pm Uncut Gems was a pretty decent movie.

RM
I've never been a fan of Adam Sandler as a comic. I recall reviews about Uncut Gems when it was released calling it an Adam Sandler movie for those not liking Adam. Now that its streaming I watched it last night on Netflix. I appreciated Sandler's performance but, for me, it was a rotten movie. I made it about 45 minutes. Even by today's non standards too much, constant foul language.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

heartwood wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:25 am
Random Musings wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:33 pm Uncut Gems was a pretty decent movie.

RM
I've never been a fan of Adam Sandler as a comic. I recall reviews about Uncut Gems when it was released calling it an Adam Sandler movie for those not liking Adam. Now that its streaming I watched it last night on Netflix. I appreciated Sandler's performance but, for me, it was a rotten movie. I made it about 45 minutes. Even by today's non standards too much, constant foul language.
I didn’t mind the language so much, but a frenetic anxious film about a degenerate gambler with no sense of decency, that I mind. I opted out around the 45 minute mark also.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“American Assassin” on Netflix. Michael Keaton. Really good.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

They Shall Not Grow Old.

Description: A 2018 documentary film directed and produced by Peter Jackson. The film was created using original footage of the First World War from the Imperial War Museum's archives, most previously unseen, all over 100 years old by the time of release. Audio is from BBC and Imperial War Museum (IWM) interviews of British servicemen who fought in the conflict. Most of the footage has been colourised and transformed with modern production techniques, with the addition of sound effects and voice acting to be more evocative and feel closer to the soldiers' actual experiences.

Saw on DVD. The film needed subtitles in a few places.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

300 Miles to Heaven (1989), available to stream on Netflix.

A touching film out of Poland, supposedly based on a true story.

Two young brothers (ages 11? and 14?) in a struggling family seek to escape Poland, find work, and help their parents. They manage to stow away in the undercarriage of a truck and end up in Denmark, but things don't exactly go as planned from there. The younger boy is the dreamer idealist and instigator and has doe eyes that will melt your heart. The older boy is more wary and hides his emotions.

If you liked Lion (2016) (especially the first half in which the 5 year old protagonist ends up stranded and alone in a city far from home), you'll probably like this.
sandramjet

Post by sandramjet »

Just Mercy --
It tells the true story of Walter McMillian, who, with the help of young defense attorney Bryan Stevenson, appeals his murder conviction

Great movie for current times.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

sandramjet wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:25 pm Just Mercy --
It tells the true story of Walter McMillian, who, with the help of young defense attorney Bryan Stevenson, appeals his murder conviction

YES
Streaming free on Redbox now.
Saw it today, wonderful. And Brie Larson was terrific.
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Two weeks ago on DVD I watched Medium Cool, and it’s still as white hot as when I saw it over 50 years ago. In the intervening two weeks it is as if we are reliving Medium Cool.

Haskell Wexler was a brilliant cinematographer and even today the film looks great – like a film shot this year about the 60s. And then there is the iconic warning about tear gas late in the film. Look out Haskell, It’s real!

Three Reasons: Medium Cool - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4xCcPH ... adio=1&t=0

BobK
Last edited by bobcat2 on Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:36 pm The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, on DVD (not Blu-ray), released in 2011. A reporter is asked to find a missing woman.

Daniel Craig as the lead character. Very well produced. It kept my interest to the end. I liked it.
The Girl Who Played with Fire, on Blu-ray DVD. In Swedish, but I chose the English dubbed audio.

So I take another look in my DVD collection and find that I have the complete 3 movie series on Blu-ray DVD. :oops: Michael Nyqvist is the lead character in all 3 movies, but I wasn't going to watch the first one again.

The reviews for this movie one weren't as good as the first, but I thought this movie was really good. An action thriller, to say the least. I'll watch The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest next.

Late-breaking news: Amazon is turning this into a TV series. (Can be discussed in: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?])
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

On TubiTV, I saw Short Term 12. Wonderful movie and 2 Oscar winners to boot (Rami Malek and Brie Larson).
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:13 am
LadyGeek wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:36 pm The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, on DVD (not Blu-ray), released in 2011. A reporter is asked to find a missing woman.

Daniel Craig as the lead character. Very well produced. It kept my interest to the end. I liked it.
The Girl Who Played with Fire, on Blu-ray DVD. In Swedish, but I chose the English dubbed audio.

So I take another look in my DVD collection and find that I have the complete 3 movie series on Blu-ray DVD. :oops: Michael Nyqvist is the lead character in all 3 movies, but I wasn't going to watch the first one again.

The reviews for this movie one weren't as good as the first, but I thought this movie was really good. An action thriller, to say the least. I'll watch The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest next.

Late-breaking news: Amazon is turning this into a TV series. (Can be discussed in: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?])
I was curious about this movie. IMDb (7.2 rating) said you can stream it on Amazon through "Fandor" streaming service which I'm not familiar with. It looks like a 7-day free trial with Amazon Prime and then a $3.99/month fee after the trial.

I will add to my queue. :happy

I own very few DVD's although I used to rent them from Netflix (snail mail) many years ago but many were defective (although you could get some interesting movies that way and I think it still exists.)
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Emma

The latest (2020) of many film versions of the Jane Austen
novel. Costumes, set designs, and outdoor locations were
extraordinary. Somewhat of a light and comical treatment
but the story was intact and faithful to the novel. Great
cast. Recommended.
Viewed on Amazon Prime
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Once Upon A Time Hollywood

Absorbing but meandering and uneven Tarantino flick. The attention to detail in recreating the ambience of late 1960's Hollywood was amazing. The one con I had was that the film felt too long, as though padded in a self-indulgent way. Good performances by Brad Pitts and Leonardo DiCaprio.
Recommended. DVD rental.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“I am Wrath” with John Travolta on Netflix. Was good!
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Watched a real psychological thriller with beautiful settings, good acting and several twists. It does have some things that might be uncomfortable but nothing that is gratuitous in terms of sexuality or violence. It is called the Wellness Cure.

Tim
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Watched the following recently, in order of my enjoyment:

The Gentlemen

Incredibles 2

Avengers Endgame

Captain Marvel

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, MO
Munir

Post by Munir »

Totally agree. Very moving and excellent acting, direction, and production.Very timely to what is happening now. I watched it free on Prime.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Watched "1917" last night as a blu ray rental from Netflix. I'm not usually a big war movie fan but this one was really well done and I'm purchasing a copy of my own.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Munir wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:34 am

Totally agree. Very moving and excellent acting, direction, and production.Very timely to what is happening now. I watched it free on Prime.
And if you like Destin Cretton (director) and Brie Larson in this, you will love what they did together for Short Term 12.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Jojo Rabbit.

Description: Jojo is a lonely German boy who discovers that his single mother is hiding a Jewish girl in their attic. Aided only by his imaginary friend -- Adolf Hitler -- Jojo must confront his blind nationalism as World War II continues to rage on.

Saw on DVD.

If it is a comedy, it is one of the least funny ones I’ve seen in a long time. But it makes you think, and that is worth something.
telemark

Post by telemark »

How to Talk to Girls at Parties takes its title and the germ of an idea from a very short story by Neil Gaiman and goes on to be its own fragile and wonderful thing. (And I don't even like punk.) Streaming on Amazon Prime.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

New Providence wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:35 pm The Goldfinch

Mixed reviews, but I highly recommend it.
I watched it last night, and also recommend it. Very well done.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

neilpilot wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:30 am
New Providence wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:35 pm The Goldfinch

Mixed reviews, but I highly recommend it.
I watched it last night, and also recommend it. Very well done.
Yes, very well done. I think that it creates controversy because it is based on a well-known recent novel and movie doesn't seem to meet expectations of those who read it.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

If you are into creepy mysteries/suspense, check out "I See You" on Prime. It's also billed as horror but it's a combination of genres, and quite unique with a great ending twist. The score is terrific also.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6079516/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

"The Goldfinch" - Thought my wife and I would like it more than we did. OK, if a little too long.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest, on Blu-ray DVD. Part 3 of the 3-part "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series. An action thriller that did not disappoint. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:28 pm The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest, on Blu-ray DVD. Part 3 of the 3-part "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series. An action thriller that did not disappoint. I liked it.
Thanks. Just added to my Amazon Prime queue. :happy
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

The Wind in the Willows (2006) with Matt Lucas, Mark Gatiss, Lee Ingleby, Bob Hoskins.

Watched on Amazon Prime.

A well done, live action, interpretation of the classic children's tale by Kenneth Grahame. We enjoyed it, but it's probably best for the target audience: children.

I went for it when I saw that Lee Ingleby and Bob Hoskins were in it. Apparently Matt Lucas and Mark Gates are well known and liked but I am not very familiar with them. I did recognize Matt Lucas as someone I have seen before.

Most people will probably remember Bob Hoskins from the movie Who Framed Jessica Rabbit. Lee Engleby may be familiar from his starring role as a young detective sergeant John Bacchus in the TV show Inspector George Gently.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:35 pm [This thread is intended for movies from any source, e.g. DVD, in-person, or streaming. If it has more than one episode, such as a TV show, post in [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Please mention how you saw the movie (DVD, in-person, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.). --admin LadyGeek]

[To keep this on topic, please include whether you would recommend it in your replies - admin alex]

Bogleheads,

Based on the success of the mega thread "What Book Are You Currently Reading?", I would like to start a new thread related to movies that Bogleheads could share with each other. Many of us have Netflix, Crackle, or another streaming service.

Best.
I just watched the movie White Comanche, staring William Shatner on free over the air TV (Grit channel).

This is a superb movie. Highly recommend.
sergeant

Post by sergeant »

White Comanche is considered one of the most enjoyable bad movies ever made. In my que now.
AA- 20+ Years of Expenses Fixed Income/The remainder in Equities.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

mak1277 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:00 am Watched the following recently, in order of my enjoyment:

The Gentlemen

Incredibles 2

Avengers Endgame

Captain Marvel

Crazy Rich Asians

Black Panther

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, MO
Adding to the above list, in order of enjoyment
Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Take Me on netflix.

It's an original and quirky. I dont re-watch movies, but at the end of this one, I was ready to. Enjoyable. If youre bored with the spew Hollywood tries to feed us give this one a shot.
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

I never saw this movie (likely because of the terrible reviews), but I just searched for some information about it and got the impression that it was trying to be Love Actually. If you liked the general structure of Valentine's Day but were turned off by some aspects of it, I recommend Love Actually.
sleepwell

Post by sleepwell »

For those folks who might enjoy old movies starring Peter Falk, I would like to recommend Murder By Death and also The Cheap Detective. Both of these are comedies and if you are a mystery lover, you will probably get a kick out of them.

And then there is What's Up, Doc? starring Ryan O'Neal and Barbara Streisand, another old movie. I know a few people who are definitely not Streisand fans for various reasons, so perhaps this movie is not for you. However, it is a fun little comedy, very silly at times.

I own these on DVD and watch them periodically when I want to see something light, funny, and which does not require any brain strain.

Sleepwell
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I would also recommend Paper Moon with Ryan O'Neal and directed by Peter Bogdanovich.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

sleepwell wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:49 pm For those folks who might enjoy old movies starring Peter Falk, I would like to recommend Murder By Death and also The Cheap Detective. Both of these are comedies and if you are a mystery lover, you will probably get a kick out of them.
Both are good recommendations.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet