What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
doss

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by doss » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:54 am

A Hidden Life (2019)

A true story about a conscientious objector whom refuses to fight for the Nazis during WW2. Its about 3 hrs long and I was unable to finish it , but the cinematography was incredible as it was filmed in Austria.

RetireSomeDay

Post by RetireSomeDay » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:29 am

Miracle in Cell Number 7. Netflix. Turkish film and very touching. A little long but managed to finish it. End is interesting.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:37 pm

The Great Gatsby (2013)

With the 1974 movie version of the F. Scott Fitzgerald novel in
mind I was a little skeptical how this would measure up. It started
a little whimsical, almost like a musical with a touch of parody but
the essence of the story gradually took hold and this was a beautiful
production.
Carey Mulligan was perfect for the role of Daisy, Leonardo DiCaprio
was a believable Gatsby, and Toby McGuire was a good choice for
Nick.
Viewed on Amazon Prime

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:19 pm

madbrain wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:00 pm
The death of Stalin. Very funny.
+1
I loved it. Im well jaded over the cookie cutter movies so prevalent today. They all follow predictable themes, but not this one! This was off the charts. Steve Buscemi is the man!

PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:21 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:57 pm
Just finished Sharpe's Peril (long version).

That's 16 Sharpe's movies in a row. I need a break. :happy
Now test yourself and see if you can remember all 16 separate plots!

I read the books but they started to blur together in my mind.
If you're not working on yourself, you're not working.

New Providence

Post by New Providence » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:35 pm

On Netflix, I highly recommend: RAVENOUS and TRAIN TO BUSAN

They are very relevant to Covid-19, and both have 90% approval rate on rotten tomatoes.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:53 pm

^^^ Feel free to mention that in the on-going thread: Coronavirus Movie Suggestions
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:36 pm

PhoebeCoco wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:21 pm
cheese_breath wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:57 pm
Just finished Sharpe's Peril (long version).

That's 16 Sharpe's movies in a row. I need a break. :happy
Now test yourself and see if you can remember all 16 separate plots!

I read the books but they started to blur together in my mind.
Plots... Sharp overcomes superior odds and superior swordsmen to emerge victorious.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:42 pm

The Russians Are Coming
The Russians Are Coming

Comedy
Made during the height of the cold war, 1966

Russian submarine runs aground off a New England Island. Captain sends a team ashore to 'borrow' a bi boat to tow the sub out. Hilarious adventure ashore.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:58 am

Jim Beaux wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:19 pm
madbrain wrote:
+1
I loved it. Im well jaded over the cookie cutter movies so prevalent today. They all follow predictable themes, but not this one! This was off the charts. Steve Buscemi is the man!
Yes, he was very good in this. I was looking to see this movie in the theater when it came out, but missed it. It was only showing for a short period of time. Glad I got to see it finally on Netflix.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:23 pm

Tonight another cold war classic...

Dr. Strangelove
Or: How I learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb

New Providence

Post by New Providence » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:37 am

The Ritual.

On Netflix. I recommend watching it late at night.
Reuniting after the tragic death of their friend, four college pals set out to hike through the Scandinavian wilderness. The story follows four friends who decide to do something adventurous like hike a trail in the Swedish woods instead of going on a lads weekend to Amsterdam, or something more festive.
73% rating on rotten tomatoes.

cs412a

Post by cs412a » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:25 pm

madbrain wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:58 am
Jim Beaux wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:19 pm
madbrain wrote:
+1
Yes, he was very good in this. I was looking to see this movie in the theater when it came out, but missed it. It was only showing for a short period of time. Glad I got to see it finally on Netflix.
+1

Great cast. As noted above, Steve Buscemi was great. Michael Palin as Molotov was also outstanding.

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:06 pm

"Running with the Devil" with Nicolas Cage on Hulu. Enjoyed it.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:56 pm

I spent the last three nights watching Heat of the Sun

Heat of the
Sun is a British television crime drama series, created by Russell Lewis and Timothy Prager, that first aired on ITV on 28 January 1998.[1] Set in 1930s Kenya, the series stars Trevor Eve as Superintendent Albert Tyburn, a Scotland Yard criminal investigations officer who is sent to work in Nairobi to reveal the underside of the expatriate community in Kenya, exploring murders against issue of race and class, drug use, and sexuality. Susannah Harker stars as his romantic interest, Emma Fitzgerald, an aviator who is modelled on Beryl Markham." ..... Wikipedia

Pity they only made three episodes.

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:34 pm

The Rhythm Section
OK as in did not turn it off. Could have been so much better - but just did not go there.

Young woman loses family - revenge.....

Could have been a really good movie but as presented...more a disappointment

Do not recommend

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:36 pm

"Haute Cuisine" has reappeared in the Amazon Prime library. I once saw about 30 minutes of this French film playing on a cruise ship and enjoyed it, but had to rush out the door for a tour. I have been looking for it being available on any of our streaming services and low and behold it popped up yesterday.
French country women hired to cook for the private kitchen of the French President. Based on a true story, she threatens the more sophisticated chef's in the main kitchen while serving up more rustic food preparations to the Presidents delight. Great foodie movie.

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:03 pm

New Providence wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:37 am
The Ritual.

On Netflix. I recommend watching it late at night.
Reuniting after the tragic death of their friend, four college pals set out to hike through the Scandinavian wilderness. The story follows four friends who decide to do something adventurous like hike a trail in the Swedish woods instead of going on a lads weekend to Amsterdam, or something more festive.
73% rating on rotten tomatoes.
Terrible movie. I don't recommend it.

It reinforces the myth that forests are dark and nasty places where bad things happen. Actually, forests are natural sanctuaries where living things thrive.

New Providence

Post by New Providence » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:20 pm

THEM THAT FOLLOW
Rated R • 97 minutes
Deep in Appalachia, Pastor Lemuel Childs (Walton Goggins) presides over an isolated community of Pentecostals. As his devoted daughter Mara prepares for her wedding under the watchful eye of Hope Slaughter (Academy Award® Winner Olivia Colman), Mara reveals a deadly secret that threatens to shatter the entire community.

On Showtime.
Excellent cast and excellent acting, good story.
Issues of deep faith, family, etc.
Moves along, never drags.
Surprisingly, only 59% rating on rotten tomatoes. I'd rank it more on the 90%

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:14 pm

Muppets Most Wanted (2014) Ricky Gervais, Ty Burrell, Tina Fey, and some cameos.

While on a grand world tour, The Muppets find themselves wrapped into a European jewel-heist caper headed by a Kermit the Frog look-alike and his dastardly sidekick.

A fun movie which I recommend. We streamed it on Starz.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you haven't got the coin you're always in the way — Geo. M. Cohan

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:46 am

The Yearling, on Amazon Prime.

The movie stars Gregory Peck and Jane Wyman and is based on the novel by Marjorie Rawlings, the story of a boy growing up in Central Florida in the 1870s. This is a very good movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:52 pm

Two good Mexican movies (Spanish, with English subtitles)

3 Idiotes
A La Mala

Two good romantic comedies

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:43 pm

House of Strangers (1949) Edward G. Robinson, Susan Hayward, Richard Conte, Director: Joseph L. Mankiewicz

After years in prison, Max Morelli (Richard Conte) promises revenge on his brothers for their betrayal. His lover Irene and memories of his past yield him a broader perspective.

This is a pretty good film noir. Edward G.’s accent is unintentionally funny with his pronounced Italian pigeon-English, he sounds just like Chico Marx, and his wife talks the same way. We watched it on broadcast television via TiVo.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:45 pm

Extraction on Netflix
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:45 pm

Sergio on Netflix

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:30 pm

Yet another free foreign movie, free on YouTube:

Hors de Prix (2006)
"Priceless"
France

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:48 am

Capsu78 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:36 pm
"Haute Cuisine" has reappeared in the Amazon Prime library. I once saw about 30 minutes of this French film playing on a cruise ship and enjoyed it, but had to rush out the door for a tour. I have been looking for it being available on any of our streaming services and low and behold it popped up yesterday.
French country women hired to cook for the private kitchen of the French President. Based on a true story, she threatens the more sophisticated chef's in the main kitchen while serving up more rustic food preparations to the Presidents delight. Great foodie movie.

Thanks for the review, I had not heard of this movie before
your comments. Excellent film.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:52 am

"Extraction" on Netflix. Chris Hemsworth is a mercenary sent to rescue the kidnapped son of an Indian drug dealer. 2 hours of nonsensical plot holes; it was comically bad...pretty much what I expected for the #1 watched movie on Netflix currently.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:58 am

Knives Out, $5.99 rental on Amazon Prime. A murder mystery parody. It's a very well produced combination of Agatha Christie and Lt. Columbo. I can see why it got lots of awards.

Good dialog; lots of suspense, drama, and subtle humor - not to mention a few scenes that had me laughing out loud. You've got to pay attention and watch it to the very end. I liked it.

As for Daniel Craig, my brain couldn't process his accent. I still think of him as 007.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:18 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:58 am
As for Daniel Craig, my brain couldn't process his accent. I still think of him as 007.
To continue that thought and process you should consider watching Logan Lucky, mentioned previously a few times. It will help see Daniel Craig in a new light. Excellent and fun original movie.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:15 pm

1917 Very good but not great WW I flick. Two English soldiers are dispatched to warn a battalion commander off a planned attack that would result in the unit's annihilation. Will they make it through the enemy lines and save the day?

I was wary of sensational pyrotechnics, but mercifully that did not materialize.

pahkcah

Post by pahkcah » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:20 pm

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:18 am
LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:58 am
To continue that thought and process you should consider watching Logan Lucky, mentioned previously a few times. It will help see Daniel Craig in a new light. Excellent and fun original movie.
After the kids told me to watch Tiger King, and I did, they said a good follow-up would be Logan Lucky. Doesn't require a lot of intellectual thinking, just basic, silly entertainment. I really liked the Adam Driver and Daniel Craig characters.

Parasite - First part - uplifting, second part - dramatic turn. Can see why it was heavily awarded. As far as awards go, I'm still peeved that Babe did not win film of the year in 1995. :D

Knives Out - Really liked this film, especially the role Daniel Craig played.

Ad Astra - Why? Just why?
Astronaut Roy McBride (Brad Pitt) travels to the outer edges of the solar system to find his missing father and unravel a mystery that threatens the survival of our planet. His journey will uncover secrets that challenge the nature of human existence and our place in the cosmos.

Chaconne

Post by Chaconne » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:21 pm

"The Plot against America"

It's a six-part HBO series now also available on Amazon Prime. Based on the 2004 Philip Roth novel of the same title, it imagines that American hero and purported anti-Semite Charles Lindbergh defeated FDR in the 1940 presidential election. The parallels to today are absolutely breathtaking. As is the acting and overall production. Highly recommended.

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:54 pm

Extraction on Netflix
Pretty good, John Wickish....
Would recommend

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:46 am

jlawrence01 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:30 pm
Yet another free foreign movie, free on YouTube:

Hors de Prix (2006)
"Priceless"
France
First saw this movie around 2009, and really liked it as we had vacationed in Nice and Monte Carlo that year. The lead female actress is very well known, but I didn't recognize the male lead, Gad Elmaleh, until I recently rewatched "Priceless". He has had a big comedy special, and is "Huge in France".

If you liked him, you may want to look up his comedy series from 2019, called "Hugh in France" where he plays himself trying to come to America to become a comedy star here...sort of a "Curb your Enthusiasm" style show that I found to be pretty funny and fun.

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:48 am

"93 Hours" with Danny Glover on Prime. Ebola outbreak in Africa years ago. Was good.

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:50 am

"Speed Kills" with John Travolta on Prime. Story of speed boat pioneer and champion of Donald Aronow that involves the mob and drugs coming into Miami in the 1970s and 1980s.

bowtie

Post by bowtie » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:24 pm

Prime Video :happy - "It's A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" with Tom Hanks. Wasn't expecting to like it and thought it excellent. Hanks is great as is Matthew Rhys. Really impressed with the film. (Totally unfamiliar with Rogers prior to seeing the documentary of him from the year before).

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:09 am

Two more foreign films today:

Agent of Influence (Canada)

Christopher Plummer stars as an Canadian ambassador who is accused of being a spy. Unlike most of his roles where he plays the dark villain, in this case role as villain is certainly in question

The Japanese Wife (Bengali)

An excellent film of the strong relationship between two people who have only corresponded by letters.I have to admit that this was one of the best relationship films that I have seen and is totally free from Bollywood influences.

=============================
Last night:

Magic of Belle Isle (US)

Morgan Freeman plays the role of a down and out writer who finds meaning when he spends the summer in a new community.

All these movies are free on YouTube with minimal commercial interruptions.

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:21 am

Marty (Amazon Prime) a 1955 film that won 4 academy awards, including Best Picture. It's fun watching these old classics.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:31 am

I think Emma (2020 version) is a really good movie, and I am a guy. Matching Emma is one of those things that you can do with your wife that you both will enjoy. Love and Friendship is also good, based on a surprisingly racy Jane Austin story.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:27 am

I saw Molly's Game on Netflix and thought it was very good. Jennifer Chastain always seems to do a solid job. A few people didn't seem to care for the extensive voice overs but I thought it was good. And it is based on the true story of Molly Bloom. Afterwards I was curious about how much it deviated from her actual story and it was pretty much dead on, much more so than many "based on a true story" movies.

New Providence

Post by New Providence » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:59 pm

BAD EDUCATION (2019)

On HBO. Rotten tomatoes approval of 90%

Directed by Cory Finley. With Hugh Jackman, Ray Romano, Welker White, Allison Janney.

A Long Island school superintendent and his assistant are credited with bringing the district unprecedented prestige. Frank is a master of positive messaging, whether before an audience of community leaders or in an office with a concerned student or parent. That changes when a student reporter uncovers an embezzlement scheme of epic proportions, prompting Frank to devise an elaborate cover-up.

Some say that we are currently living the golden age of grifting and corruption. I don't know if that's the case, but this movie is based on a true story.

joe-kr

Post by joe-kr » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:35 pm

New Providence wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:59 pm
BAD EDUCATION (2019)

On HBO. Rotten tomatoes approval of 90%

Directed by Cory Finley. With Hugh Jackman, Ray Romano, Welker White, Allison Janney.

A Long Island school superintendent and his assistant are credited with bringing the district unprecedented prestige. Frank is a master of positive messaging, whether before an audience of community leaders or in an office with a concerned student or parent. That changes when a student reporter uncovers an embezzlement scheme of epic proportions, prompting Frank to devise an elaborate cover-up.

Some say that we are currently living the golden age of grifting and corruption. I don't know if that's the case, but this movie is based on a true story.
Just watched this - great story. Thanks for the recommendation.

batpot

Post by batpot » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:10 pm

Parasite

Really enjoyed it!
I tried to avoid as much as possible about it before hand, but did sit through a couple trailiers, which made it seem like a horror movie, even though I had heard it described as "black comedy".

But I do like the genre.
If you liked Fargo, or Very Bad Things, you will like Parasite.

magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:48 pm

Philadelphia

Tom Hanks and a wonderful cast in this 1993 film about a lawyer with Aids who fights the firing from his law firm.
Denzel Washington, Jason Robards, Joanne Woodward, Anthony Banderas and Mary Steenburgen. Bradley Whitford even had a small role. On Netflix.

I really enjoyed it.

cs412a

Post by cs412a » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:44 pm

The Mask of Dimitrios. Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre in an adaptation of an Eric Ambler novel.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:50 pm

High Noon (1952) Gary Cooper, Grace Kelly, Katy Jurado, Thomas Mitchell, Lee Van Cleef, Jack Elam, Lloyd Bridges, Lon Chaney Jr., Harry Morgan. Directed by Fred Zinnemann.

A town Marshal, despite the disagreements of his newlywed bride and the townspeople around him, must face a gang of deadly killers alone at high noon when the gang leader, an outlaw he sent up years ago, arrives on the noon train. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044706/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

The quintessential western for all time. Tex Ritter sings the theme song. There seems to be a ticking clock in every scene and the action takes place in near real-time. In one outdoor scene the actors even walk underneath a watch repair sign. I’ve seen this film many times but what I did not know is that it’s supposed to be an allegory of the Hollywood blacklisting. Highly recommended. We streamed it on Starz.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:13 am

Nicolas wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:50 pm
High Noon (1952) ...Grace Kelly...
Soon to marry Prince Rainier III of Monaco. Princess Grace's observance of her royal duties should serve as an example to other actresses who marry into royalty.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:01 pm

Planet of the Humans on Youtube..

I don't always agree with Michael Moore. but this one had some thought provoking sections I thought. But after an hour and half skewing both capitalists and environmentalists and convincing us the planet is doomed it falls back on old bromides like... "there is a way out."... "take control of our future."... "if we get ourselves under control all things are possible." at the end.