What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nicolas

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Nicolas »

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) James Stewart, John Wayne, Vera Miles, Lee Marvin, Edmond O’Brien, Andy Devine, Lee Van Cleef, John Carradine, Denver Pyle, Strother Martin, Directed by John Ford.

A senator, who became famous for killing a notorious outlaw, returns for the funeral of an old friend and tells the truth about his deed.

Pure sweet fun all the way! Highly recommended. All-star cast. Not to be missed by any western fan. Superb performances by all. (Not my first viewing).

Also listen to the song of the same title sung by Gene Pitney (not included in the film). The song spent 13 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, peaking at No. 4.

We borrowed the DVD from our local public library.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

While the camera work was amazing I was underwhelmed by the overall movie experience. There were long periods with not much happening, the main actors were not that engaging, and there was a, to me, very predictable scene involving a bi-plane crash.

OTOH I saw it at one of those theaters which has comfortable electric recliners and serves food and drink, such as the pint of IPA I had, during the movie.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

DW and I binged on “Covert Affairs”
Now binging on “Homeland”
Both are espionage series.
J🏝
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Paterno

A hard-hitting film focusing on Joe Paterno's last days as head
coach at Penn State starting with the breaking story of the
Sandusky scandal and focusing on the tumultuous days that
followed. No punches were pulled and the film seems to have
taken the known evidence and produced a movie that was
reasonably objective.
Recommended
Viewed on Amazon Prime
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:49 am Joker, on Amazon prime ($5.99 HD rental). Excellent. I haven't seen a movie like that in quite some time.

The last hour was intense. Joaquin Phoenix's performance was very reminiscent of Jack Nicholson (who also played the Joker in the first Batman movie).
We watched this last night also and enjoyed it. I likened it to the movie "Logan", a dark and gritty take on Wolverine.

I found it interesting that the Wayne family was depicted a bit less warmly in Joker than they were in the most recent series with Christian Bale (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises).
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

The Gentlemen. The movie is over-the-top and has a certain smugness but is quite entertaining. This is largely due to several of the performances.

Recommended if you go in for this sort of thing.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... -good-fun/
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Criminal” on Hulu. Was good.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

1917 - fabulous movie -capturing the tragedy, horror, and sheer stupidity of war. Bravura piece of film-making.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

My Big Fat Greek Wedding part 2. Funny.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

This week's movies:

Downton Abbey - A pretty good movie even if you have not watched the BBC Series

Weathering With You - A very fine animated Japanese film. A good family film that is intelligently presented.

Jojo Rabbit - I had low expectations of this film as yet another movie about Nazi Germany. However, the character development in this film makes it a great movie.

A Hidden Life - An Austrian movie about a conscientious objector in Austria during WWII. It is a very well done films absent cliches. While the movie is nearly three hours, it does not drag.

Harriet - A pretty good movie about the accomplishments of Harriet Tubman and her participation in the Underground Railroad.
black jack

Post by black jack »

The Life of Pi (Amazon Video rental).

Visually ravishing.
Good story too.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

black jack wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:59 am Little Women. I know next-to-nothing about the book. I enjoyed the movie very much; it was beautifully filmed and emotionally powerful.

My quibbles: the mother, played by Laura Dern, seems too saintly for this world; and the movie skips back and forth in time, and I lost track of the chronology about 2/3rds in.

I heard part of an interview with the director (Greta Gerwig) today in which she observed that Little Women and other female coming-of-age novels are typically considered light fare, while male coming-of-age books like Catcher in the Rye and A Separate Peace are viewed more seriously (I recall those books being assigned reading in my high school English classes, but not Little Women). Having never read Little Women, and having long since forgotten the contents of the boy books, I have no basis for an evaluation of their relative quality, but it seems a fair point.
Can you imagine a high school English teacher having to deal with the class half full of boys trying to read Little Women?
Plus Catcher in the Rye is just a better book.
Last edited by manatee2005 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:32 pm The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) James Stewart, John Wayne, Vera Miles, Lee Marvin, Edmond O’Brien, Andy Devine, Lee Van Cleef, John Carradine, Denver Pyle, Strother Martin, Directed by John Ford.

A senator, who became famous for killing a notorious outlaw, returns for the funeral of an old friend and tells the truth about his deed.

Pure sweet fun all the way! Highly recommended. All-star cast. Not to be missed by any western fan. Superb performances by all. (Not my first viewing).

Also listen to the song of the same title sung by Gene Pitney (not included in the film). The song spent 13 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, peaking at No. 4.

I loved this movie. If you liked it; you’ll probably like The Searchers as well; if you haven’t seen it already.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

The Peanut Butter Falcon - good indie flick, enjoyed it.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Electrum

Post by Electrum »

Parasite.

Incredible movie. Don't read anything about it before you see it. Just go.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

The Overnighters.

Movie/Documentary synopsis:
A modern-day Grapes of Wrath, award-winning documentary The Overnighters is an intimate portrait of job-seekers desperately chasing the broken American Dream to the tiny oil boom town of Williston, North Dakota. With the town lacking the infrastructure to house the overflow of migrants, a local pastor starts the controversial "overnighters" program, allowing down-and-out workers a place to sleep at the church. His well-meaning project immediately runs into resistance with his community, forcing the clergyman to make a decision which leads to profound consequences that he never imagined.
I'd give it a 9 out of 10. It is thought-provoking on several levels, but the film suffers a bit from slight discontinuities and there are parts that drag out a bit too long or have seemingly little purpose.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Elsebet wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:10 pm The Peanut Butter Falcon - good indie flick, enjoyed it.
Fantastic movie. My wife spent several years working with individuals with down syndrome so it was really special to her.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

manatee2005 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:10 am
Nicolas wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:32 pm The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) James Stewart, John Wayne, Vera Miles, Lee Marvin, Edmond O’Brien, Andy Devine, Lee Van Cleef, John Carradine, Denver Pyle, Strother Martin, Directed by John Ford.

I loved this movie. If you liked it; you’ll probably like The Searchers as well; if you haven’t seen it already.
Thanks for the recommendation. I might’ve seen it decades ago but I’ll watch it again. My wife and I intend to rewatch all the old classic westerns, such as Shane, High Noon, and many others, as we love the genre.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Dolemite Is My Name (2019) Eddie Murphy, Keegan-Michael Key.

Eddie Murphy portrays real-life legend Rudy Ray Moore, a comedy and rap pioneer who proved naysayers wrong when his hilarious, obscene, kung-fu fighting alter ego, Dolemite, became a 1970s Blaxploitation phenomenon.

Mildly interesting. A few funny bits but not really worth the time. My wife liked it because of Eddie Murphy. Don’t take your kids.

We watched it on Netflix streaming.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

The Lighthouse with Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe. It's a very dark film shot in black and white, well acted and intense. I am not comfortable recommending it to everyone though.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

Chernobyl by HBO. It's a mini series composed of 5 episodes. "Wow" is all I can say. The behind the scenes look at what actually happened and how many millions of people that were at risk, in Europe at the time is unbelievable. The affect it has on the people that were exposed. The cover up. Incredible story. I'm not surprised it gets a 96%/98% on RT.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

PinotGris wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:37 pm Hollywood Story ...once upon a time. The Saharon Tate murder with a twist. Interesting.
heartwood wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:57 pm I watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood on a flight yesterday. If the flight hadn't been so long I'd probably complain that its 2 hr 40 min. But I won't.

I enjoyed it overall. Good acting by DiCaprio and Pitt. I found Pitt's character much more likable. It helped me to have been of age in the time depicted otherwise you might not understand some of what went on and who the other characters are. Even so Tarantino's liberty with the actual happenings to advance his "Once upon a time ..." adds confusion.

I recommend it. Actually one of my 2019 favorites. I'll go back and see what else Pitt has done.
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood, $5.99 rental on Amazon prime. I didn't realize the plot until late in the movie, as I was also of the age to remember the events that happened in the late 1960's. A very interesting twist, indeed.

For a Hollywood location, I'm thinking he simply built on what he did before (The Hateful Eight) but from a different perspective.

The final violent scene had shades of Hollywood flare for the (over)dramatic, which I thought was an interesting parody.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
beehivehave

Post by beehivehave »

Ford vs. Ferrari. LeMans in the early 1960s, when Ford/Shelby challenged Enzo Ferrari. A little corny, with overacting, but quite entertaining, especially the racing scenes.
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood about Mr. Rogers. Actually, pretty dark given the subject. Good acting by Tom Hanks. Preferred the documentary Won't You Be My Neighbor?
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Saw Little Women at the theater last night. I liked it more than I thought I would. The chronological shifting of a familiar story and an excellent cast helped make it seem very fresh and inventive, and different than the excellent and beloved 1994 version.

Trying to see all Best Picture nominees before the Oscars ceremony; this is kinda our household annual tradition. Still to go - Jojo Rabbit, 1917, Ford vs. Ferrari, and Parasite. We have the latter on a streaming rental from Redbox and might watch it tonight. We probably won't quite make it in time for Ford vs. Ferrari.
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

Electrum wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:13 pm Parasite.

Rented it for 5.99 on Apple TV. Interesting slice of life in Korea. Clever, very well done, great acting.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

"Identity Theft" which is a comedy. Not bad.
jsaver

Post by jsaver »

Didn't work for me. I thought it was less than the sum of its parts. I won't say more as not to spoil. I think it's worth seeing, just wasn't on my list of top films for the year. I enjoyed last year's Shoplifters (Japanese) much more.

I very much enjoyed the Chinese film "Long Day's Journey Into Night," which can be found on Netflix. Watching it is very much like being in a dream. It jumps back and forth in time and it's not always immediately clear which time you're in. The final hour is an uninterrupted shot which is supposed to be experienced in 3d, but it worked for me just fine in 2d.

As long as I'm recommending foreign films, let me add Honeyland.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

• 1917 - Thought it was ok but not really worth the hype. Excellent cinematography though
  • Jojo Rabbit - had big hopes for this one as well but it really let me down. I just didnt like it and dont think it should be in the Oscar discussion
  • Richard Jewell - this was excellent, the actor who played Jewell was really snubbed by not being nominated
Saw all of them in the theater
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

Parasite - strange but really good
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

This film was not the stereotypical war movie with epic
battlefield footage but more like a Dantesque journey
through hell in which two British soldiers had to navigate
a suicidal deathscape to deliver a message to a battalion
about to walk into a trap.
Grim, reflective, and sobering but a production and
artistic masterpiece.
Viewed at a theater
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:12 am
PinotGris wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:37 pm Hollywood Story ...once upon a time. The Saharon Tate murder with a twist. Interesting.
heartwood wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:57 pm I watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood on a flight yesterday. If the flight hadn't been so long I'd probably complain that its 2 hr 40 min. But I won't.

I enjoyed it overall. Good acting by DiCaprio and Pitt. I found Pitt's character much more likable. It helped me to have been of age in the time depicted otherwise you might not understand some of what went on and who the other characters are. Even so Tarantino's liberty with the actual happenings to advance his "Once upon a time ..." adds confusion.

I recommend it. Actually one of my 2019 favorites. I'll go back and see what else Pitt has done.
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood, $5.99 rental on Amazon prime. I didn't realize the plot until late in the movie, as I was also of the age to remember the events that happened in the late 1960's. A very interesting twist, indeed.

For a Hollywood location, I'm thinking he simply built on what he did before (The Hateful Eight) but from a different perspective.

The final violent scene had shades of Hollywood flare for the (over)dramatic, which I thought was an interesting parody.
Saw this on the plane back from Mexico Friday. I thought both actors as well as Margot Kidder did an excellent job. I replayed the ending scenes. Wow. And it is a fairytale.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

wilson08 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:19 pm 1917

artistic masterpiece.
Viewed at a theater
The plot reminded me of The Lord of the Rings: two guys sent out on an epic quest across no-man’s land (Mordor) to deliver a message (destroy the ring) with survival doubtful.

Another thing: Somebody on IMDB opined that the message could’ve been air-dropped by one of those bi-planes that was flying around, he said this was commonly done in WWI. The same criticism was leveled at The Lord of the Rings. Why couldn’t Frodo have been air-lifted to Mount Doom on the back of one of the eagles? He could’ve made the trip in hours.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

PinotGris wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:17 pm

Rented it for 5.99 on Apple TV. Interesting slice of life in Korea. Clever, very well done, great acting.
Agree. Parasite is a great movie IMO. Excellent directing, acting and the story line was so creative.

I also saw Joker. The acting was excellent but, by far, Parasite is my favorite of the two. :happy
Last edited by JAZZISCOOL on Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coburn

Post by Coburn »

Odd that I haven't seen the latest Tarantino flick yet...I usually like his films and make it a point to see them on release.

"Begin Again" 2013
"The Gumball Rally" 1976

Watched both years ago and both hold up to a second viewing!
dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 »

Agreed, we just rented it due to it being up for best picture, didn't know anything about it. Great flick.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

"Mad Money" - 2008 with Diane Keaton, Ted Danson and Queen Latifah.

Never saw it before. DW was cruising through Netfix, Hulu, etc and ran across it. It was fun.... with a bit of comedy and light hearted....enjoyed it!
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

I know you meant Margot Robbie, but I do miss Margot Kidder.
Artful Dodger wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:31 pm
Saw this on the plane back from Mexico Friday. I thought both actors as well as Margot Kidder did an excellent job. I replayed the ending scenes. Wow. And it is a fairytale.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

CardinalRule wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:37 pm I know you meant Margot Robbie, but I do miss Margot Kidder.
Artful Dodger wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:31 pm
Oops. :oops:
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Watched Stalker last night, unfortunately I fell asleep near the end. Definitely a unique kind of movie, slower and more thoughtful than a typical action sci-fi movie.
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

wilson08 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:19 pm 1917

artistic masterpiece.
Viewed at a theater
Yes! Saw it today. Really excellent.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

"Trainwreck" written by Amy Schumer, one of the leading American stand-up comedians. She also starring in the film.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Peanut Butter Falcon. Nice story if you are looking for something on the lighter side. The film is based in/around an area I once called home so I enjoyed that aspect.
Unladen_Swallow

Post by Unladen_Swallow »

A movie that is topical I thought I would share:

I watched "Virus". A south Indian, Malayalam movie. It is based on the 2018 Nipah virus outbreak in Kerala.

Well done movie, informative and entertaining.
"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Richard Feynman
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

"Noah" on Hulu. Was good.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Also watched "Beach Bum" on Hulu. Strange and somewhat funny.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Conch55 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:12 pm Peanut Butter Falcon. Nice story if you are looking for something on the lighter side. The film is based in/around an area I once called home so I enjoyed that aspect.
Based on this recommendation, watched it and both wife and I really enjoyed it. Not a Dakota Johnson fan, but she played a real nice role here...maybe she is a deeper actress than I gave her credit for.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Saw 1917 yesterday, best movie I have seen in a long time
A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner »

My vote goes to Parasite. But, I’m not an Academy member.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

In preparation for the Oscars, watched Marriage Story last night and Parasite this afternoon. I found Marriage Story really moving and thought provoking. Parasite was brilliant 😀.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

One of my all time favorites.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)